Can we learn to be critically self-conscious?

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 01:57 pm

In his book "The Assault on Reason" Al Gore informs me that he concluded after talking to many candidates of both parties in the 2006 election cycle that they had spent two thirds of their campaign funds on thirty second TV ads.

If that is not an indication of a shallow minded irresponsible citizenry I do not know what is. The political candidates recognize that the way to get votes is to follow the Madison Avenue advertising approach of bombarding the citizens with sound bite.

Al goes on to explain that part of the problem rests in an early childhood syndrome called "attachment theory". Attachment theory is a relatively new theory of development psychology, which states that infants develop very early in their lives an attitude toward their relationship to the world resulting from their relationship in the first year of life with their parents.

Children take on three general attitudes:
The child learns that s/he has significant control of the world because the parents responded consistently and quickly to the child's needs.
The child develops "anxious resistant attachment" when the parents respond inconsistently to the child's pleas.
In the worst case the child receives no emotional response to its pleas.

The point I wish to make is that we were all raised in various manners and as a result of that raising we develop deep seated attitudes toward the world that significantly affect the rest of our lives is not recognized by us and then dealt with.

Must we journey through life handicapped by these early attachments developed in the first few years of life? It seems reasonable to me that if we learned to be self-critical we can, probably with difficulty, make significant changes in our life. I think that this process might be what Maslow was talking about when he developed the hierarchy of need.

Abraham Maslow defined a hierarchy of needs to be:
1) Biological and Physiological (water, food, shelter, air, sex, etc.)
2) Safety (security, law and order, stability,
3) Belonging and love (family, affection, community, etc.)
4) Esteem (self-esteem, independence, prestige, achievement, etc.)
5) Self-Actualization (self-fulfillment, personal growth, realizing personal potential, etc.)

This hierarchy made us conscious of the obvious fact that we did not fret about the absence of self-esteem if we did not already have security nor did we worry about security if we did not have water to drink or air to breath.

The pinnacle of needs Maslow labeled S-A (Self-Actualization). In "The Farther Reaches of Human Nature" 1971, Maslow speaks of these needs and he apparently (as far as I know) introduced this new concept S-A as in "mid-stream rather than ready for formulation into a final version".

What do you think about self-actualization?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 06:08 am
@coberst phil,
I love the question despite the fact you mentioned Al Gore.

I'm somewhat thrown off because this in politics? It seems like a psychological issue?

The point about 30 second ads is political. I have no problem with 30 second ads. Half a minute is just an amount of time. I have a problem with people. Other people, specifically. That is, when they don't agree with me.

No, no. Seriously. Seriously serious. I think that being critical of one's self is important. Okay, what I have to say beyond that, I'm not sure.

I think self actualization is tremendously important, but especially for me. For me, its critical. Um, yeah.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 01:39 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Success as nebulously defined by society and real self awareness and self critical thinking traditionally do not go hand in hand. This is not to say that successful people are not critical thinkers, it is just saying that the amount of doubt generated in self awareness and self criticism is not that helpful when making the risky decisions required for "success". Most people who are born with that knack to be hyper self aware tend to become severely depressed, others who spend a lifetime practicing a method of self awareness tend to be non-materialistic and reclusive to the point that they have relativly little positive impact on society. It is an ideal situation that people would and could do this, yet most people are not ready to do it no matter their capability. IMHO pushing people into 'self awareness' would just help the pharmaceutical companies sell mo

There is a plethora of means by which a persona can learn to be self critical Consciously aware of one's self, yet does it really benefit that person and does it reallyenefit society?
Khethil

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 08:33 pm
@GoshisDead,
coberst wrote:

Sure, unfortunately there are several pre-existing conditions that need to exist:[INDENT]1. One must be willing to subject their own ideals, views and values to internal scrutiny: This doesn't happen often. Ego precludes it and obstinacy prohibits it. In a culture where everyone struggles to talk (while no one listens) its not often that someone's actually OK with the idea of putting their closely-held 'truths' to the test - most are simply too needy, screaming to be heard - to turn inward and start at the beginning, ones' own self.

2. One must be cognizant of their own fallibility: There's a bit of the chicken-and-the-egg problem here. In order to be aware of your own falibility, one needs some measure of maturity. Yet, gaining this small measure of self-awareness is an intentegral part of the person who's already mature.

3. One must see a value (a payoff) in the exercise: As Gosh illustrated quite well, many folks don't see any benefit to be had in being critically self-conscious. The typical ego asks, "Why would I question myself?", "I don't need to question my beliefs or ideals, they feel just fine as is!". Wherein no cash flows, no 'benefit' can be had; I fear, is the popularly held paradigm.
[/INDENT]
coberst wrote:
Must we journey through life handicapped by these early attachments developed in the first few years of life?
Yea we must - though not necessarily 'handicapped'.

While you're correct, I think, that we can make significant changes in our lives, attitudes and paradigms, early attachment issues and deficiencies remain with us forever. They've alredy become a part of us by affecting every perception we have and coloring every memory with shades of emotion. We're not slaves to them, nor are they completely beyond control - but they're always there... waiting and wanting to make their influence felt.

coberst wrote:
What do you think about self-actualization?

I've been a fan of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs for quite some time. It's NOT the definitive guide to human behavior - and the different tracks do mix and jump now and again - but it's the closest, most representative model for the hierarchy within us all, that I've seen.

Self actualization, for me, has been felt as those 'peak experiences' I've had throughout my life. Sometimes they're often, sometimes I'll go months (or years) between them. They're those "On top of the World"-sensations we get when something is realized, something happens or is assimilated.
---------------------

GoshisDead,

I think you're spot-on in your evaluation of the traditional notions of "success" and how that doesn't go too well with critical thinking. Also, most unfortunately, I think you're also correct in that most folks who are self-critically aware are more disposed to depression and hermitism as well. [INDENT] But the extent to which someone is critically self conscious is NOT a light-bulb (that's on or off), it's a dimmer switch. And given this, the extremes of chronic depression and isolation are just the smallest end of the scale.
[/INDENT][INDENT] It's potential benefit to the individual and society are VAST... One needn't think on it long; if we were more open to change in our own views, ideas, politics, values, etc., we'd likely communicate better, cooperate more and - by association - likely be more compassion filled.
[/INDENT][INDENT]But you're also right that it can't be forced or taught. Hell, I have a hard enough time just trying to communicate my thoughts on it.
[/INDENT]Thanks for posting this Coberst, good topic indeed.
0 Replies