Science of Morality, Anyone?

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 07:08 am
Science of Morality, Anyone?

Where, in American culture, is the domain of knowledge that we would identify as morality studied and taught?

I suspect that if we do not quickly develop a science of morality that will make it possible for us to live together on this planet in a more harmonious manner our technology will help us to destroy the species and perhaps the planet soon.

It seems to me that we have given the subject matter of morality primarily over to religion. It also seems to me that if we ask the question 'why do humans treat one another so terribly?' we will find the answer in this moral aspect of human culture.

The 'man of maxims' "is the popular representative of the minds that are guided in their moral judgment solely by general rules, thinking that these will lead them to justice by a ready-made patent method, without the trouble of exerting patience, discrimination, impartiality-without any care to assure themselves whether they have the insight that comes from a hardly-earned estimate of temptation, or from a life vivid and intense enough to have created a wide fellow-feeling with all that is human." George Eliot The Mill on the Floss

I agree to the point of saying that we have moral instincts, i.e. we have moral emotions. Without these moral emotions we could not function as social creatures. These moral emotions are an act of evolution. I would ague that the instinct for grooming that we see in monkeys is one example of this moral emotion.

We can no longer leave this important matter in the hands of the Sunday-school. Morality must become a top priority for scientific study.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 901 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ThouAreThat

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 01:20 am
@coberst phil,
The human science of morality is sorely needed at a greater acceleration if enhancement of human relations is to be advanced more quickly.

This is the greatest wish of free thinkers, as they already experience that for themselves, yet see the misery of those devoid of this freedom. At the same time the realization of the way it is, versus the way it could and should be according to one's wishes, is illuminating certain almost un-surmountable chasms that lie deep within the human makeup.

It can be seen that those benefactors that help the un-aided may see their desire come to fruition by the spiritual growth of those who are touched through their intellects and emotions to their soul.

On the other hand, there are those also, who have determined to be the slayers of their neighbors who do not think barbaric thoughts into barbaric deeds. Those determined ones have chosen to traverse lifetimes of misery to be spread upon themselves and others, clinging unwaveringly to their ideology of destruction to death.

The science of "morality" or "love" or "goodness" or "creativity" or "truth" is already within each human being, except it is hidden beneath the superficial layer of thought and identification to thought objects of their desires. As it (the "science" or "consciousness") is covered up and hidden from cognition, no meaningful illumination takes place.

At best, only the individual illumined soul may have some impact in sharing the ray of light in friendship, but no legislation can force the finding of the lost chord. The self is the sole determinating force to grace each soul's cognition of itself.
Parapraxis

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 11:21 am
@ThouAreThat,
I do not think that morality is necessarily a science.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 07:48 am
@coberst phil,
The science of morality would necessarily be part biological, part psychological and part socialogical. The physiological association with some moral judgements (anger, shame, etc) demonstrates that there is, first and foremost, a biological foundation. However, that people's moral codes change shows that the instances that invoke such reactions are associated mentally. Finally, morality is about interactions (directly or indirectly) with other organisms, principally humans.
0 Replies

coberst phil

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 08:28 am
@coberst phil,
Why is grooming, as displayed by monkeys, an indication of moral emotions?

Emotions are instincts; they are something that is part of our genes. They are part of our genetic makeup because they were necessary for the survival of the social species. Some species are loners but some are naturally social. The social species needed emotions that facilitated social unity. Mutual grooming is one means for bonding between individuals and the group.

Would morals count as knowledge? Do emotions count as knowledge? Directly I must say that the emotion of fear is not knowledge. The emotion leads to a feeling and the consciousness of the feeling becomes knowledge. Morality is about relationships, i.e. certain instincts make a social group possible.

Without social cohesion social groups cannot survive. Reasoning about facts is a human means for survival and thriving. The more we know and understand about relationships the better will be our lives. In fact, because we have developed such powerful technology and thus have placed in the hands of people such power that if we do not do a better job about relationships our species cannot long survive.
0 Replies