Is there such a thing as a true atheist

Parapraxis

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I'd like to refer you to my first post, post #13:

If we are to accept "God" as an abstract notion, we are to accept it does not exist in any defined time or space. "Justice", for example, exists notionally, and can only be experienced or rationalized. To attempt a proposition with "Justice" would be silly (in my opinion), as there are no truth-statements (without clarification) with which to support the proposition; we wouldn't be able to affirm or deny any predicate in the proposition, "Justice is in China". But it could be done. Justice could be clarified and an intersubjective definition defined in order to allow us truth value. In other words, we could make it an analyzable proposition if we provide potential truth value. So, we could say for instance, "Justice" is defined as, "At least one man is put in jail for committing second degree murder". We would then be able to analyze the proposition, seeing whether it's 'true' or 'false'.

Similarly, we could do the same thing for "God" (or any abstract notion, really -- a transference into the physical realm). The problem is, not many would agree with the conditions set forth. And even more do not agree that it should even be done ("Don't mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon"). But the take home point here is that: if someone attempted to make a truth-proposition involving an abstract notion, without clarifying the "game" with which the proposition will be displayed, the individual, in all practicality, would not be making an analyzable proposition at all. It's not that they should be given the burden of proof -- they don't even have a proposition that elicits a truth value!! They're just playing with cards, creating confusion. Do you see? Clarification on the conditions for the word must be set forth to even begin any worthwhile intellectual discussion.

Once again, language cannot help us unless we all decide to play the same "game". If we deviate from the "game", language will not bring us clarity.

What about those who do not consider god to be an abstract concept but consider "it" to be something very real?
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Parapraxis and Bones-O,

Why do theists hold a burden of proof? As noted in my above post, many spiritualists acknowledge: Spirituality is an experiential understanding. The spiritualist may argue that no evidence presented in language will suffice for proving anything; it is something each person must experience. If I say I'm in love, do I hold the burden of proof to present evidence for why I'm in love? Of course not; to demand evidence for every belief is absolutely absurd and is just not practical.

Zetherin: I will answer in two parts.

1) You're absolutely right - shoddy writing on my part. I was limiting my thinking to the arena of proving or disproving God's existence since there will always be theists who try for the former and atheists who try for the latter, and this will continue against all common sense until the last theist or atheist drops dead. Further, many theists on this forum alone have tried to push the burden of proof (of God's non-existence) onto the atheist, which makes absolutely no sense. On the question of the existence of an entity that has no evidence suggesting it exists, the burden lies with those who say it does, be it God or, to the man with no experience of rabbits, the rabbit.

2) It is rarely enough for any theist I've ever met, even the nicest, to both accept God's existence and respect athiests' non-belief. If, in general, a theist will try to tell an athiest the latter is wrong, then one could say that such a theist holds the burden of proof by default. I agree this isn't general - not all theists are missionary-minded - but it's common enough that I might alter my comment in a different way: The burden of proof lies with the theists, except those who don't care what others believe.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Dichanthelium wrote:
Bones, I didn't quote your entire post, but please don't think I didn't read it. Can you put your argument in a less technical fashion?

I agree with ihavenoidea. I think it makes all the difference in the world how you define "god." I'm confident that I would deny the same god or gods that you deny. That's very different from saying " 'God,' no matter how the term is understood, does not exist" isn't it? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to say, "I have not encountered a concept for 'God' that seems plausible to me"?

Yes, sorry for the lapse into algebra. I'm not saying it doesn't matter what kind of God exists if one does, what I meant was that the question of proof of anything that has no evidence is independent of what that thing is. So the process of proving Buddha's existence is, at a high-level, the same as proving Jehova exists.

And while for the theist exact nature of the God is important, for the atheist they're all equivalent.

Dichanthelium wrote:
Also, though I heartily concur with atheists who object to arguments by theists against atheism (I haven't seen a convincing one), I think the assumption that theism is always based on simple-minded wishful thinking is simply presumptuous. If you have carefully studied theology and can demonstrate your assertion, then I will reconsider my position.

Well, perhaps this would be more suitably discussed in another thread, so if you wish to discuss in depth, maybe you could start one. Though if you insist in placing vocational requisites it may be lonely. I meant no offense. To me it seems a leap of faith or the rationalisation of a faith one has been brought up in seems very personal and in some sense a matter of 'living in the best world'. This wasn't a dig, but I can see how it may be taken as such so I will reword it.

EDIT: Having reread the offending post, I can't reword it in good conscience. I didn't suggest the leap of faith was either simple-minded or wishful thinking so I hope the above clarification will suffice instead.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:46 am
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis wrote:
Most atheists use a completely different "mode of thinking" to try and disprove god than theists do to try and prove god, and if I'm being cynical (and bluntly honest), once people accept the belief in the kind of Judeo-Christian or Abrahamic god, or any deism based on organised religion, they already ignore the critical faculties that allows for any stimulating or engaged debate.

It is indeed difficult to engage in debate whenever either party assumes a superior attitude. But, go ahead, what are the critical faculties that are necessarily ignored by deists (or did you mean theists?).

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

Bones-O! wrote:
The faith-based position is that X is true because the individual prefers to live in a world with X rather than a world without for whatever reason...

This is not assigning simple-minded wishful thinking to all theists?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:38 am
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis wrote:
If an atheist is defined as someone who does not believe in the existence of god, whether or not god exists or not is meaningless, because it is what the atheist believes, and belief does not have to be true in order for it to be belief in itself.

I believe there is no god, I'm an atheist. It's really that simple. If you were to define an atheist as someone who knows there is no god, then your reasoning might hold.

I don't think he has taking the argument far enough, and it leaves open this simple refutation.

You draw the distinction between "knows" and "believes", and this is valid. He wishes to show that because no one knows that God doesn't exist, no one is a real atheist, but atheism is a belief, and no proof is necessary for belief.

With that said, I believe the atheistic belief can be attacked. Ontological belief necessarily carries the obligation of justification both externally and internally. If one wishes to pose the statement "I believe that" one is expressing a truth claim, and therefore only does so meaningfully when one is prepared to also say "I believe that because...". When one possesses the mental content of belief, we must assume that it comes with the acceptance that the referring proposition is true. One cannot believe something when one doubts the truth of if, that is a contradiction.

Therefore, to take the atheistic stance you take: "I believe there is no god", you are saying evidence leads to the greater probability of there not existing any sort of god, namely that you can justify the the statement: "God probably does not exist."

Now, it may be possible to make the theistic statement "I believe in God" or its equivalent "God probably exists", because it is possible to have that subjective experience that provided evidence of the probability of God's existence (This experience is obviously fallible and will never count as justification of knowledge). But considering the nature of a god or gods, I cannot imagine what evidence could be gleaned that carried the preponderance of probability.

When you say, "I believe there is no God," I accept you as saying "There probably is no God, and I am prepared to explain why."

So first explain why.

Then explain what evidence can be used to form probabilities about God's existence and how can we find negating evidence of God's existence.
Khethil

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:21 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr FTP, Mind if I poke in here and add something?

I think you're trying to explain your perception of atheism as a positive assertion. I believe I see the flow of your logic and I also believe I can see where you're coming from. There's one small problem with this and the opening post though;

Take this statement, of which we're discussing: "I'm an atheist because I've seen no support; and feel no need to believe"

• How much I defend this?
  • Shall I prove to you that I do, in fact, have no sufficient positive justification?
  • In the end, might you be able to convince me that the lack of support that I perceive really is a reason to believe?

... of course not. Once again we end up back in that place where we started; that either one has reason and support to believe there's a Teapot in Orbit, or one does not. He who hasn't any reason to believe such a thing cannot support that which he does not have; thus, if there is a burden of proof to provide (and I don't really think there is), it would necessarily have to rest with those making the "I think there is evidence for"-assertion.

We can't logically respond to a "there's not enough"-explanation with a "well show me"-response. The stance that one hasn't any support explains itself.

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
When you say, "I believe there is no God," I accept you as saying "There probably is no God, and I am prepared to explain why."

You're absolutely right here; and the answer for virtually anyone who doesn't believe would be: "... because I don't have a reason to". What might the response be? "Prove to me you have no reason to?".

I hope you see what I'm saying. Thanks Smile
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:28 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Mr FTP, Mind if I poke in here and add something?

I think you're trying to explain your perception of atheism as a positive assertion. I believe I see the flow of your logic and I also believe I can see where you're coming from. There's one small problem with this and the opening post though;

Take this statement, of which we're discussing: "I'm an atheist because I've seen no support; and feel no need to believe"

• How much I defend this?
  • Shall I prove to you that I do, in fact, have no sufficient positive justification?
  • In the end, might you be able to convince me that the lack of support that I perceive really is a reason to believe?

... of course not. Once again we end up back in that place where we started; that either one has reason and support to believe there's a Teapot in Orbit, or one does not. He who hasn't any reason to believe such a thing cannot support that which he does not have; thus, if there is a burden of proof to provide (and I don't really think there is), it would necessarily have to rest with those making the "I think there is evidence for"-assertion.

We can't logically respond to a "there's not enough"-explanation with a "well show me"-response. The stance that one hasn't any support explains itself.

You're absolutely right here; and the answer for virtually anyone who doesn't believe would be: "... because I don't have a reason to". What might the response be? "Prove to me you have no reason to?".

I hope you see what I'm saying. Thanks Smile

Yes, thank you.

I originally intended to distinguish between "I believe God doesn't exist" and "I don't believe God exists" (I think you noticed that I stuck my attacks firmly to the former). The latter certainly is impervious to the OPs argument.

However, the latter only does so because it includes both "I believe God doesn't exist" and "I don't believe"

I am a strong agnostic, and I hold that agnosticism is of a different kind of position than theism and atheism, namely that agnosticism is an epistemological stance, where the others are theological.

There are a great many self-proclaimed atheists who say that they don't believe in God because they are not presented with any evidence to believe. This, however, is agnosticism, and I at least would prefer that it be referred to as agnosticism. There are also a lot of people who express the atheist belief "I believe that God doesn't exist", but take the agnostic justification in saying that they don't have reason to believe that God exists.

Lack of evidence is lack of evidence both ways. One cannot say that they believe god doesn't exist because they don't have evidence, rather they should say "I don't believe God exists" and refer to themselves as agnostics.
Khethil

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:38 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I originally intended to distinguish between "I believe God doesn't exist" and "I don't believe God exists" (I think you noticed that I stuck my attacks firmly to the former). The latter certainly is impervious to the OPs argument.

Yes, and this is a very precise way to phrase the two sides.

I am a strong agnostic, and I hold that agnosticism is of a different kind of position than theism and atheism, namely that agnosticism is an epistemological stance, where the others are theological.

Again, yes. Agree completely - I'm very glad someone else sees this.

There are a great many self-proclaimed atheists who say that they don't believe in God because they are not presented with any evidence to believe. This, however, is agnosticism, and I at least would prefer that it be referred to as agnosticism. There are also a lot of people who express the atheist belief "I believe that God doesn't exist", but take the agnostic justification in saying that they don't have reason to believe that God exists.

Umm, yea. Except that "evidence" may exist for both epistemological support or theological support; depending on the person. If we're talking about "what is an atheist", we need to toss out epistemological notions (lest we muddy the waters) since an atheist, by definition, makes no claim to 'knowledge' either way - only belief.

But again, since many 'beliefs' are based upon some element of 'support', we can't say that those who want for support are only seeking 'knowledge'; they may also be speaking of "why I believe", or "reasons to believe". The line between belief and knowledge is tenuous (and has no specific "break point" I think - I posted on this issue here)

... they should say "I don't believe God exists" and refer to themselves as agnostics.

This is very, very interesting.

You realize that you've come to that last statement (quoted), using very sound reasoning - with some drift in belief/knowledge differentiation - yet ended up with a fallacy?

1. "I don't believe god exists" = Speaking to belief, not knowledge, not epistemology
  2. "... refer to themselves as agnostics" = Speaking to epistemology, not belief, not theology

I'm not sure I disagree with you and can't say you're wrong (unless and until I understand you more fully), but I will applaud your perspicuity. I do get the sense that you may be mixing both concepts up; or perhaps I am - maybe we both are. In any case, I think we're drawing specific lines between the two when Belief and Knowledge are actually "soft borders" that vary from person to person - and within each person, from issue to issue.

An atheist who makes any claim to "know there isn't" any god is - in my humble opinion - making an immature claim. The term; this label "Atheist" only speaks to belief, not knowledge. Any claim to know or not know in any direction does indeed beg for explanation yet is something all together different from what we're discussing here. But 'Beliefs' on any given issue aren't for those who claim knowledge. I believe I'm sitting down, yet for all intents and purposes I know I'm sitting down. Beliefs are for those things were the weight of support, that I'm in possession of, isn't sufficient for me to use the term 'know'.

From a strictly-epistemological standpoint I am an agnostic (as I make no claim to knowledge). My theology is Atheist (since I neither have nor feel any support or need to believe). Could there be? Sure! Anything's possible - I just don't have any reason to believe it.

Good stuff -thanks.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:32 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Umm, yea. Except that "evidence" may exist for both epistemological support or theological support; depending on the person. If we're talking about "what is an atheist", we need to toss out epistemological notions (lest we muddy the waters) since an atheist, by definition, makes no claim to 'knowledge' either way - only belief.

But again, since many 'beliefs' are based upon some element of 'support', we can't say that those who want for support are only seeking 'knowledge'; they may also be speaking of "why I believe", or "reasons to believe". The line between belief and knowledge is tenuous (and has no specific "break point" I think - I posted on this issue here)

First off, I plan on commenting on that thread you linked to.

You make a good point that was hit upon tangentially in the skepticism and belief thread.

The definitions of knowledge and belief are rather clearly delineated. Basically, belief becomes knowledge when the belief is true (some would say when it is justified and true, but I think justification is wrapped into the belief).

However, it is interesting to think about the relationship between belief and truth whenever the subject speaks about it. Basically, when someone says he believes something, he is expressing his acceptance of its truth. When someone says he knows something, he is expressing his acceptance of its truth. Analytically, they mean the same thing. However, the subject, as you point out, will set a line (a tenuous line indeed) before which he will express his conviction as belief and after which he will express his conviction as knowledge.

Its not entirely relevant, but it fascinates me that people seem to have some arbitrary line at which they willfully say something is certain as opposed to merely probable.

Quote:
This is very, very interesting.

You realize that you've come to that last statement (quoted), using very sound reasoning - with some drift in belief/knowledge differentiation - yet ended up with a fallacy?

1. "I don't believe god exists" = Speaking to belief, not knowledge, not epistemology
  2. "... refer to themselves as agnostics" = Speaking to epistemology, not belief, not theology

I'm not sure I disagree with you and can't say you're wrong (unless and until I understand you more fully), but I will applaud your perspicuity. I do get the sense that you may be mixing both concepts up; or perhaps I am - maybe we both are. In any case, I think we're drawing specific lines between the two when Belief and Knowledge are actually "soft borders" that vary from person to person - and within each person, from issue to issue.

There certainly is a mixing of the terms "atheist" and "agnostic". While often atheism is considered to be believing against the existence of some supreme being, it is often defined as lacking belief in a god or gods. In this sense, the epistemological position of agnosticism is a form of atheism, even if it precludes statements concerning the existence of any divine entity.

Quote:
An atheist who makes any claim to "know there isn't" any god is - in my humble opinion - making an immature claim. The term; this label "Atheist" only speaks to belief, not knowledge. Any claim to know or not know in any direction does indeed beg for explanation yet is something all together different from what we're discussing here. But 'Beliefs' on any given issue aren't for those who claim knowledge. I believe I'm sitting down, yet for all intents and purposes I know I'm sitting down. Beliefs are for those things were the weight of support, that I'm in possession of, isn't sufficient for me to use the term 'know'.

Yes. True.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 06:46 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:

This is not assigning simple-minded wishful thinking to all theists?

I said "for whatever reason". Wishful thinking is your addition. And I said nothing about how that leap of faith is made, so simple-minded is your addition also. This is basically why I left the post as is: it is vague enough to avoid such readings. I think the motivations for becoming/remaining a theist can be varied and there are plenty of intelligent theists. The choice is neither logical nor intellectual: if it were it would not be a leap of faith. Eating bacon isn't intellectual either; that doesn't mean bacon-eaters are 'simple-minded'.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Lack of evidence is lack of evidence both ways. One cannot say that they believe god doesn't exist because they don't have evidence, rather they should say "I don't believe God exists" and refer to themselves as agnostics.

Then one can neither be a theist nor an atheist. I cannot believe both that a sentient God created the Universe and that the Universe occurred mechanically, without divine intervention. Since I cannot rule out the latter due to lack of evidence, I cannot say "I believe God created the Universe" since this necessarily means "I believe the Universe did not occur mechanically without divine intervention".

Further, I'd reject your notion that lack of evidence goes both ways as a general principle. Absolutely zero evidence for something is in itself strong evidence to believe in its negation, since its negation is everywhere evident. (That's the great thing about zeroes... you never run out of 'em.)

Outside the theological, let's say I spin a roulette wheel and assign each number a crime. Then I pick a name out of the phone book at random. I report the chosen name as perpetrating the crime. It happens that the man has no alibi but, of course, there is no evidence to suggest he commited the crime.

Is it unjustifiable to believe he did not commit it?
LWSleeth

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:02 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;58018 wrote:
I cannot believe both that a sentient God created the Universe and that the Universe occurred mechanically, without divine intervention. Since I cannot rule out the latter due to lack of evidence . . .

You'd probably jump on creationists who might claim some minute resemblance of reality to Biblical myths proves the Red Sea parted, or Noah had all the animals on the ark, etc. But mechanists do the same thing when they take the mere few steps mechanical self-organization is known to be capable of and extrapolate from that the sort of self-organization needed for life and evolution. I see absolutely no difference. Both are propaganda of "believers" exaggerating the evidence they have to try to sustain what they believe a priori, and not what they believe from actual observation.

If we limit ourselves to the evidence, I don't know how anyone could possibly "believe" mechanics can self-organize into life, I don't know why anyone would "believe" adaptive processes produced entire organisms, I don't know why anyone "believes" the universe can change supernaturally. I've seen nothing that would rise to the level of a proof on any of those issues, yet billions of people believe in either a mechanical God or a supernatural God. How is either believer less deluded?

Bones-O!;58018 wrote:
Further, I'd reject your notion that lack of evidence goes both ways as a general principle. Absolutely zero evidence for something is in itself strong evidence to believe in its negation, since its negation is everywhere evident.

Well, your prejudice is showing. There is evidence, you just refuse to look at it while simultaneously demanding the evidence be externalized as science requires. The evidence of God is experienced inside each person individually . . . it isn't externalizable.

If you only want to know what is "outside," then fine. Be a mechanic, be an externalist, be a scientist. But why assume the ontology you limit your study and thinking to is the ontology of all existence? If you refuse to explore the inner avenue that leads to an experience people call "God," how can you then state there is "absolutely zero evidence"? All you can honestly say is you have no evidence, and, if you were humble about it, you'd also admit you haven't looked.
Khethil

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:02 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
The evidence of God is experienced inside each person individually . . . it isn't externalizable.

This is good; I'll take a thousand of these printed on sandwich boards, lapel pins and bumper stickers please.

Belief is a personal issue and depends on an individual's experience, ideas, hopes, view of the natural world, etc., etc. As such, it's a deeply individualized concept. Because it is so personalized, it needs to be respected; no matter how 'silly' or 'illogical' one sees it. The theist mindset needs to be accepted and respected. Let them believe, there's nothing wrong with this. The atheist mindset needs to also be accepted and respected. There's nothing wrong with not believing.
[INDENT] I really, really don't get why anyone has a need to try and argue this issue - at all. To try and 'convince' anyone towards or away from any theological belief system is so self-defeating; mainly, as it only serves to widen the chasm between intelligent peoples whose time, efforts and heartfelt expressions can be better spent at virtually anything else.
[/INDENT] Oh but we will - oh yes we will! Today, another 5 threads will be started with someone grinding their axe to explain why it's 'wrong' to believe in god and another 5 professing all the evidence to believe. We'll bang our heads against that wall again and end up - as we always do - in the same place.

Thanks
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:32 am
@Legacy phil,
Legacy wrote:
Are you an Atheist? Well I am going to prove to you that you are not an Atheist in its true sense.
You may think that this is a rather arrogant thing to say, but if you bear with me you will see that the logic in this statement is irrefutable.
To say that there is no God requires absolute knowledge. Knowledge of not only our 4 known and understood dimensions but all the higher dimensions as well and that would be impossible for a 3 dimensional creature such as yourself. However, If you had absolute knowledge then yes God would exist, because you would be God. On the other hand, to say that there is a God only requires personal experience or an understanding that the design in creation warrants a designer. But ultimately there really can only be 2 types of people, believers and agnostics. Those who have seen first hand or can see evidence that gold exists in China and those who believe that gold doesn't exist in China, but can never really be sure that this is so:detective:

It is not so much arrogant to say as it is wrong. The reason is that atheists do not claim to know there is no God. They claim they don't believe that there is a God. So showing they don't know there is a God in no way shows they are not atheists, or even "true atheists".
Bones-O

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
It is not so much arrogant to say as it is wrong. The reason is that atheists do not claim to know there is no God. They claim they don't believe that there is a God. So showing they don't know there is a God in no way shows they are not atheists, or even "true atheists".

There are two types of atheism: weak (those who do not believe there is a God); and strong (those who believe there is no God). Legacy presupposes all atheists are strong just as you are presupposing they are weak. Legacy and Mr FTP are stipulating that weak atheists are simply agnostics and not "true atheists". One could, of course, invert the line of reasoning and say that agnostics are nothing more than weak atheists. We either have two different terms for the same thing, or there's a difference: it all comes down to choosing your definitions (again).
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:47 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Then one can neither be a theist nor an atheist. I cannot believe both that a sentient God created the Universe and that the Universe occurred mechanically, without divine intervention. Since I cannot rule out the latter due to lack of evidence, I cannot say "I believe God created the Universe" since this necessarily means "I believe the Universe did not occur mechanically without divine intervention".

I'm a little lost.

No wait, I'm completely lost.

Explain.

Quote:
Further, I'd reject your notion that lack of evidence goes both ways as a general principle. Absolutely zero evidence for something is in itself strong evidence to believe in its negation, since its negation is everywhere evident. (That's the great thing about zeroes... you never run out of 'em.)

Only when you deal with boundaries.

Suppose we have an enormous box that measures a cubic mile. We wish to know whether there lives a unicorn in this box. The obvious solution is to begin looking for this unicorn within the box. As we go along we cover more area within the box and never find a unicorn. We explore the entire box and find nothing. We do recognize the possibility that the unicorn could have managed to escape our sight by some fantastic coincidence, but is overwhelmingly likely that there is no unicorn within the box.

Now imagine, if you can, the same scenario only with a box that has infinite volume. No amount of searching will ever give us any information concerning the probability of a unicorn existing within the box.

The only evidence we could ever manage to gain was actual sight of the unicorn, in other words, affirmative evidence.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Bones-O! wrote:
There are two types of atheism: weak (those who do not believe there is a God); and strong (those who believe there is no God). Legacy presupposes all atheists are strong just as you are presupposing they are weak. Legacy and Mr FTP are stipulating that weak atheists are simply agnostics and not "true atheists". One could, of course, invert the line of reasoning and say that agnostics are nothing more than weak atheists. We either have two different terms for the same thing, or there's a difference: it all comes down to choosing your definitions (again).

I just want to point out that I recognize that the term atheist applies to agnostics. I just wish the term would be used solely to imply "belief against the existence of God", because "lacking belief in God" causes a certain ambiguity that many atheists use to shift the goalposts when they try to defend their views.

You are entirely correct that you can swap it up and say that agnostics are weak atheists, but that is my problem with it. I am agnostic in that I refuse to make any truth claim towards any religious proposition.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:56 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:

Well, the post argued that there are no "true" atheists (whatever that means) because no one absolutely knows there is no God. (Of course, no absolutely knows there are no mermaids, or no unicorns, or flying spaghetti monsters either, when it comes to that, so I suppose we ought not to that we know there are none of them either-but let that go). But point is that to deny that one knows there is a God, or a mermaid, for that matter, is not to deny that one believes that there is a God, or a mermaid. And, as far as I understand, atheists don't believe that there is a God (or believe there is no God). In any case, atheism is about belief, and not about knowledge.

The agnostic says he does not know there is a God. But that still does not imply that he does not believe there is a God, and believing there is a God is, therefore consistent with agnosticism. But, I agree too that agnostics who say they do not know there is a God often mean to suggest that they do not believe there is a God, too. But what people say, and what people mean to suggest, are two different things.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:44 am
@LWSleeth,
Parapraxis wrote:
What about those who do not consider god to be an abstract concept but consider "it" to be something very real?

In order to have any sort of intelligent discussion with this person, we would have to establish the "God" we're referring. "God" is so elusive in linguistics, it elicits this muddying effect - Just what *is* "God"? What ontological qualities does it impose? The only way one can describe "God" is with metaphysical conditions and qualities, many 'attributes' that do not easily fit into ontological value. Quite literally, the person is confusing if they choose to state, "God is in China" as some kind of truth-claim, without clarification.

Bones-O wrote:
2) It is rarely enough for any theist I've ever met, even the nicest, to both accept God's existence and respect athiests' non-belief. If, in general, a theist will try to tell an athiest the latter is wrong, then one could say that such a theist holds the burden of proof by default. I agree this isn't general - not all theists are missionary-minded - but it's common enough that I might alter my comment in a different way: The burden of proof lies with the theists, except those who don't care what others believe.

Once again, I don't understand your claim. The burden of proof lies with the theists: Why? Not every belief needs justification or evidence. If I say I'm in "love", I may not be able to present adequate justification or evidence that is sufficient for not only you, but nearly any logical construct (logical authority). But that doesn't matter. We can't expect to have a burden of proof for everything - some things are just understood. The word "God", logically, does not hold any ontological value until we apply it (and we must articulate these qualities to have any chance at a meaningful discussion). Please refer to my "Justice" example. Quite literally, the proposition, "God is in China", means nothing until the participants in the discussion come to an understanding.

Mr.Fight the Power wrote:
There certainly is a mixing of the terms "atheist" and "agnostic". While often atheism is considered to be believing against the existence of some supreme being, it is often defined as lacking belief in a god or gods. In this sense, the epistemological position of agnosticism is a form of atheism, even if it precludes statements concerning the existence of any divine entity.

There is also the evidential atheist who claims it is irrational or unreasonable to hold a belief that has insufficient evidence (nerdfiles actually touched upon this). The evidential atheist proposes that if you have insufficient evidence for your belief, you ignore your intellectual duty (unreasonable), and/or if you have insufficient evidence for your belief then you have some cognitive deficiency (irrational).

With so many variations from both sides of the "fence", I find the labels "Theist" and "Atheist" trite, pointless, not only in their delivery, but in their meaning. These words are flashed daily as if any and all participants 'easily understand' these notions, and it's so clear they are not 'easily understood'. "God", like many other metaphysical notions, does not hold firm ontological value - quite literally, many times we don't even know *what* we're arguing. I'd bargain the majority of people using the terms (atheist and theist) don't really even know why they're applying the label in the first place, and if they do, they most likely didn't communicate their interpretation with others in the discussion.

And not to mention, guys, neither of the terms are exhaustive. Given the so many different notions (I'd argue each individual actually has their own personal understanding), what do the terms "Theist" and "Atheist" even contribute? No consciousness rationalizing can believe in every "God" that is, will be, or has been conjured. Likewise, not every consciousness rationalizing can have a lack of belief in every "God" that is, will be, or has been conjured. "God" is but a metaphor, and once again, there are no set ontological properties for this *it*, just as there are no set ontological properties for Love (in the abstract sense), or Justice, and so many other abstract notions. Why this particular abstract notion has this mystical "We must prove!" stigma attached, I haven't a clue.

If you believe in Love, you're a lovist. If you don't believe in Love, you're an alovist. What does this really clarify in language? What does it mean to say, "Love is in China"? What kind of evidence or justification would I present without converting "Love" into a meaning with ontological value?

I propose we're quite literally bickering over nothing.
Bones-O

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:13 pm
@Legacy phil,
Hi Mr FtP
I'm a little lost.
No wait, I'm completely lost.
Explain.

:bigsmile: Yeah, I do that to people, even when it makes sense to me. Something about the way my mind works, I suppose. Allow me to reformulate...
The argument put forth is that one cannot justify strong atheism since there may exist as yet undiscovered evidence of God's existence. By the same token, there may as yet exist evidence of God's not-existence. To be a theist is to believe God exists, which is to believe God's non-existence doesn't exist, which I've just shown is unjustifiable by the argument put forth. Thus theism and strong atheism are unjustified, as indeed would be any belief about anything.
Only when you deal with boundaries.

Or rabbits. :bigsmile: I don't agree. That which is right under my nose may elude me, or be non-existent. Similarly that which is in infinity may elude me or be non-existent. I see no distinction. If a unicorn really does exist outside my light cone, I am justified in believing in its non-existence because of the arbitrariness of the proposal that it does exist. This is the patented Thinking Thing Rabbit Hypothesis: the presence of the negation of X everywhere I go is evidence to me that X does not exist.

You are entirely correct that you can swap it up and say that agnostics are weak atheists, but that is my problem with it. I am agnostic in that I refuse to make any truth claim towards any religious proposition.

Well, correct by your logic, not mine. I wasn't giving my personal viewpoint. In fact, I have strong reason to insist on the opposite. There are two methods by which one could not believe in God's existence while holding no belief either about his non-existence: the first is to consider God's existence and withhold judgement pending a decision-making discovery; the second is to never have considered his existence at all. The former is at least reminiscent of common usage of the word 'agnosticism'; the latter is something that never seems to come up. This is where my personal interest comes in: for most of my life I never considered God's existence because I never knew it was a topic to be seriously considered. God, to me, was a character in a book. It was only when forced to consider the issue I moved from weak to strong atheism. An agnostic is open to religion; a weak athiest is not but this will not be evident until the question is considered.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 03:50 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
In order to have any sort of intelligent discussion with this person, we would have to establish the "God" we're referring...

This is why I think it would be much more interesting to explore the various models for "God." Some of them are indeed silly and deserve to be shown for what they are. Others would seem to be synonymous with other metaphysical concepts. If someone says they accept the model of pantheism, for example, I'm inclined to ask whether that just means you believe in the universe.

Zetherin wrote:
There is also the evidential atheist who claims it is irrational or unreasonable to hold a belief that has insufficient evidence (nerdfiles actually touched upon this). The evidential atheist proposes that if you have insufficient evidence for your belief, you ignore your intellectual duty (unreasonable), and/or if you have insufficient evidence for your belief then you have some cognitive deficiency (irrational).

Important points for theists to consider. Many forms of theism would seem to be mere credulity.

Zetherin wrote:
With so many variations from both sides of the "fence", I find the labels "Theist" and "Atheist" trite, pointless, not only in their delivery, but in their meaning. ...

And not to mention, guys, neither of the terms are exhaustive. Given the so many different notions (I'd argue each individual actually has their own personal understanding), what do the terms "Theist" and "Atheist" even contribute? ...Why this particular abstract notion has this mystical "We must prove!" stigma attached, I haven't a clue.

...I propose we're quite literally bickering over nothing.

All good stuff. Yeah, I think the impulse to fight over this, as has been pointed out by several of the atheists, may be stimulated primarily by the fundamentalist and evangelical Christians. By driving political, educational, and other social issues, they find themselves at odds with sectors of society that don't share their value system. It is often their presumptive attitudes of superiority (as well as their numbers) that cause distress.

I think it would be great if all of us, theist, atheist, or whatever, would quit arguing about theism and join forces against fundamentalism.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 04:21 pm
@Legacy phil,
Legacy wrote:
Are you an Atheist? Well I am going to prove to you that you are not an Atheist in its true sense.
You may think that this is a rather arrogant thing to say, but if you bear with me you will see that the logic in this statement is irrefutable. First of all I want to define 3 different stances that people have about the existance of God.

1. Believer: A person who believes in the existance of God.
  2. Agnostic: A person who isn't sure whether God exists or not.
  3. Atheist: A person who doesn't believe in the existance of God.

If I were to say that there was no such thing as gold in China, then to prove my statement, I would have to search every square inch of that country in order to confidently say there was no gold. I would also have to search every person to make sure that there were no gold fillings and search every aeroplane in Chinese airspace. Such a mammoth task would be near impossible but would be necessary in order to prove my statement.
Now lets look at the amount knowledge that a human being can possess. It is obvious that even the smartest person who has ever lived couldn't possess even 1% of all the knowledge in existance. But lets imagine that there existed an Atheist who possessed 1% of all the knowledge in existance. This is of course a huge exaggeration, but for the sake of this argument lets say that someone did possess this amount of knowledge. If this person was honest, they would have to admit that the other 99% of knowledge that they didn't possess could have the evidence that proves God's existance. So as you can see from this very simple example, it is impossible to absolutely state that there is no God. Now back to the example. If I found gold in the tooth of one Chinese citizen, then I could truthfully say that there is gold in China even if that amount of Gold was very small.
To conclude: If you claim to be an Atheist, then with respect I say to you that you are actually and Agnostic in the true sense, although I can respect that you may have chosen not believe in God without proof and in that sense you have chosen to be an Atheist, but your claim to be an atheist is not a scientific one, rather a belief or religion.
To say that there is no God requires absolute knowledge. Knowledge of not only our 4 known and understood dimensions but all the higher dimensions as well and that would be impossible for a 3 dimensional creature such as yourself. However, If you had absolute knowledge then yes God would exist, because you would be God. On the other hand, to say that there is a God only requires personal experience or an understanding that the design in creation warrants a designer. But ultimately there really can only be 2 types of people, believers and agnostics. Those who have seen first hand or can see evidence that gold exists in China and those who believe that gold doesn't exist in China, but can never really be sure that this is so:detective:

Theist: Someone who believes in supernatural agency and argues that supernatural agency does exist.

Agnostic: A person who believes one cannot know or does not know whether supernatural agencies exist or not, and withholds belief in the supernatural. Some people would classify agnosticism as weak atheism because they have no belief in a God but they don't argue that such a being does not exist. So you're right, all agnostics are technically weak atheists, but not all atheists are agnostic.

Atheist: A person who argues that supernatural agency does not exist. This type of person is not an agnostic by any means.

Your analogy comparing the substance of gold to the existence of supernatural agency is a false one. We've seen gold before. We know that gold exists in the first place. We've never seen a supernatural agent before.

Let me present a better analogy. Let's replace that gold with a magical unicorn. This magical unicorn is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and benevolent. A unicorn believer says that the magical unicorn does exist; a unicorn agnostic says that we cannot know if the magical unicorn does or does not exist; a unicorn atheist argues that the magical unicorn does not exist. The magical unicorn is omnipotent, and so it is not limited by the laws of physics. The magical unicorn is omnipresent, and so it is everywhere at all times. The magical unicorn is omniscient, and so it knows all, and is not limited by the coordination of events that we call time. The unicorn is benevolent, and so it wants to help us. By all means, we should have evidence for the existence of such a being if it is true that the being exists, and yet we don't. The believer and the agnostic would say that the absence of evidence is not evidence, but the atheist would say that the absence of evidence when there should be evidence is circumstantial evidence, and enough reason to argue that the being doesn't exist.

We shouldn't have to search every corner of the cosmos to find God. It should be easier to verify the existence of God than it is to verify the existence of flies. According to traditional attributes, God is omnipresent and omnipotent, and the Abrahamic religions tell us that God wants us to be aware of his existence. If this were true, then by all means, we shouldn't be having this debate right now.

You view knowledge as a dogmatic, absolute concept. I view knowledge as a provisional and practical concept. There is no evidence for the existence of a supernatural agent. Parsimony demands that the belief in supernatural agency be rejected and held not to exist until there is evidence for its existence. When or if there is ever evidence for the existence of supernatural agency, I will thereby drop my position as a naturalist. Until then, I am an atheist, and I argue that God doesn't exist.
0 Replies