Religion as Spiritual Culture

jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:25 pm
Something that we should not loose sight of in all the debates about religion and its place in society is that of religion as a spiritual culture.

In Buddhism, one of the words for meditation is 'bhavana' which literally means 'becoming'. This recognizes the fact that the way you think ultimately determines what you become. 'As you think, so you become' is actually a good starting point for any consideration of the nature of spiritual culture. It is a universal principle which is simple to understand, but which has many consequences.

Now the difference between spiritual culture and religion is that it is practical, rather than a 'belief system'. You will notice in many of the debates about religion, many big statements and questions about the nature of reality, science and religion, whether there is a God or not, and so on, are constantly being made. It is very easy for these debates to have a very polarizing influence on those involved - you will be driven one way or the other, to belief or non-belief, and into many dichotomies and dualities.

Religion as spiritual culture has a different approach. It is based on cultivation of states of calmness, clarity and insight, through meditation. This is something that can be experienced and tested. It is not a dogmatic belief system. Buddhism is very well known for this, but such an approach is not only Buddhist. Other Indian philosophy and Yoga schools teach this approach, and (believe it or not) it is also quite possible for both Christians and those who are not 'religiously committed' to any belief to adopt this approach.

Such a practice generally does rely on an ethical code, such as abandoning or reducing intoxicants, moderation in speech and behaviour - the very basic moral and ethical guidelines which are common to many religions and philosophies, although it can also be seen as a "common-sense" approach to life.

Establishing a regular meditation practice is the center of this outlook. Silent meditation, even for brief periods of time, provides new perspectives on the problems of life, who we are, and how our minds and bodies interact. Meditation requires some self-discipline and persistence, but over time it gives rise to an ever-deepening sense of the joy of life and a place of calmness in the center of the being.

So let's not forget that this type of spiritual culture is an important and beneficial practice. Speaking from experience, when meditation begins to work its magic in your life, your appreciation of the meaning of many things begins to change, and life itself seems a lot less of a battle. There are many other benefits, and many ways of practicing, which produce long-term benefits and new horizons. It is a long-term commitment, and, as said, a form of spiritual culture - but one well worth pursuing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,324 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Jebediah

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
@jeeprs,
I have started meditating 4 or 5 times now. Always after a few days something breaks the habit. For me it's been more something I do when I feel the need for a shift in perspective or direction than a journey towards a particular destination. Similar to writing my thoughts in a journal.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 07:22 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;139416 wrote:
Always after a few days something breaks the habit.

That is an interesting thing to notice. It is probably worth investigating a little more what this 'something' might be. Maybe there are factors which are resisting it - there often are.
0 Replies

pshingle

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 07:53 pm
@jeeprs,
The accepted belief is that meditiation provides an individual time to personally reflect on themselves and numerous surrounding aspects of their life. I have read of many monks who have spent literal days in meditation in an attempt to reach enlightenment, while many other thinkers, such as the Marahishsi, believe that a personal meditation period of around 30 minutes is all that is necessary for personal balance. I would be very interested to see the research that has occured in these fields and how they relate back to a person's mental health, religious convictions, and moral beliefs.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:36 pm
@jeeprs,
Indeed. There is quite a lot research being done on the benefits of meditation, and nowadays a lot of it can be found on the Internet. And I quite agree that 30 minutes is all that is necessary for personal balance. If that is Ramana Maharishi you are referring to, his writings have been a source of inspiration to me.
0 Replies

pshingle

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:45 pm
@jeeprs,
Ah, I was refering to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the founder and pioneer of Transcendental Meditation. He believed that meditation was a far more private thing than previously believed, and that it could be performed without any religious interferance or breach.
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:47 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;139409 wrote:
Something that we should not loose sight of in all the debates about religion and its place in society is that of religion as a spiritual culture.

In Buddhism, one of the words for meditation is 'bhavana' which literally means 'becoming'. This recognizes the fact that the way you think ultimately determines what you become. 'As you think, so you become' is actually a good starting point for any consideration of the nature of spiritual culture. It is a universal principle which is simple to understand, but which has many consequences.

Now the difference between spiritual culture and religion is that it is practical, rather than a 'belief system'. You will notice in many of the debates about religion, many big statements and questions about the nature of reality, science and religion, whether there is a God or not, and so on, are constantly being made. It is very easy for these debates to have a very polarizing influence on those involved - you will be driven one way or the other, to belief or non-belief, and into many dichotomies and dualities.

Religion as spiritual culture has a different approach. It is based on cultivation of states of calmness, clarity and insight, through meditation. This is something that can be experienced and tested. It is not a dogmatic belief system. Buddhism is very well known for this, but such an approach is not only Buddhist. Other Indian philosophy and Yoga schools teach this approach, and (believe it or not) it is also quite possible for both Christians and those who are not 'religiously committed' to any belief to adopt this approach.

Such a practice generally does rely on an ethical code, such as abandoning or reducing intoxicants, moderation in speech and behaviour - the very basic moral and ethical guidelines which are common to many religions and philosophies, although it can also be seen as a "common-sense" approach to life.

Establishing a regular meditation practice is the center of this outlook. Silent meditation, even for brief periods of time, provides new perspectives on the problems of life, who we are, and how our minds and bodies interact. Meditation requires some self-discipline and persistence, but over time it gives rise to an ever-deepening sense of the joy of life and a place of calmness in the center of the being.

So let's not forget that this type of spiritual culture is an important and beneficial practice. Speaking from experience, when meditation begins to work its magic in your life, your appreciation of the meaning of many things begins to change, and life itself seems a lot less of a battle. There are many other benefits, and many ways of practicing, which produce long-term benefits and new horizons. It is a long-term commitment, and, as said, a form of spiritual culture - but one well worth pursuing.

Just for clarity, it seems that you are speaking of a type of religion that is different from what is usually meant by the term "religion". You are calling this type of religion "spiritual culture".

On the one hand, "Religion", in the usual sense of the word, refers to a set of beliefs, usually including beliefs about God or gods, a story of how the world or universe came into being, a specific moral code, beliefs about the afterlife, beliefs about the nature of reality, the soul, the spirit, etc. Along with these beliefs, "religion" in the usual sense, often includes various practices, rituals, hierarchy of clerics, temples or other edifices, etc.

On the other hand, the sense of the word "religion" that you ae discussing, religion as a spiritual culture, has very little of the baggage of the usual sense. Some may even question whether what you are talking about even qualifies as a religion by any definition of the term. Your concept of religion as a spiritual culture can claim to be religion only insofar as it may have something to do with spirituality. Even that claim may be irrelevant insofar as it can be argued that meditation is a form of mental exercise which improves mental health, just as physical exercise improves physical health. The 'ethical code' you refer to are related to improved mental health as well: abandoning or reducing use of intoxicants, moderation (i.e. exercising self control) in speech and behavior which, as you say, "can also be seen as a 'common-sense' approach to life."
I have no doubt there is much to be gained from meditation, either with or without spiritual and/or religious beliefs, but I am not sure that what you are calling religion as a spiritual culture can claim to be called religion in any sense.
Arjuna

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:18 am
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;139551 wrote:
On the one hand, "Religion", in the usual sense of the word, refers to a set of beliefs, usually including beliefs about God or gods, a story of how the world or universe came into being, a specific moral code, beliefs about the afterlife, beliefs about the nature of reality, the soul, the spirit, etc. Along with these beliefs, "religion" in the usual sense, often includes various practices, rituals, hierarchy of clerics, temples or other edifices, etc.
You're describing the outward form of religion. That's helpful in the same way describing your outward form helps us identify you.

Would it not be a mistake, though, if I believed that your outward form is all you are? You're alive. A religion can be alive. The ones that aren't alive have left us with nice artefacts to put on display behind glass.

What animates a living religion isn't something you can put on display.

And which religious figure pointed that out?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 03:00 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;139551 wrote:
Some may even question whether what you are talking about even qualifies as a religion by any definition of the term.

That would be a fair question. Perhaps I shouldn't bring religion into it at all. Our vocabulary seems a little impoverished in this area, though. Jesus Christ straddles both sides of the divide - for some (most, I guess) he is simply 'He in whom you must believe', but on the other hand, he is also the spiritual exemplar par excellence. Eastern Orthodox spirituality places a great deal of emphasis on spiritual culture, which culminates in Theosis, a word which has no counterpart in Protestantism. The Orthodox faiths generally are more mystically inclined and very different in their attitude to fundamental dogmas such as the atonement, the original sin, and so on.

I think there are several separate kinds of phenomena that get placed under the heading of 'religion'. One stream concerns beliefs about the legendary heroes, mythical beings, and Gods. Another stream originates with shamanism, healing, and meditation and is characteristically associated with the Hindu yogas. Then there is the philosophical spirituality of a Plato or Plotinus. As far as many people go, they will tend to place it all in the same category, and call it 'religion'. So one of the things I was trying to do in this post was bring out the more mystical and philosophical side of the subject. It has become very much submerged in Western Christianity.

But perhaps it is me muddying the waters. Maybe I just should stick to talking about Dharma and hope that people know what I am on about!
1CellOfMany

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:21 pm
@jeeprs,
Arjuna;139582 wrote:
You're describing the outward form of religion. That's helpful in the same way describing your outward form helps us identify you.

Would it not be a mistake, though, if I believed that your outward form is all you are? You're alive. A religion can be alive. The ones that aren't alive have left us with nice artefacts to put on display behind glass.

What animates a living religion isn't something you can put on display.

And which religious figure pointed that out?

Ahh! I think I understand what you are saying: the sense in which the Spiritual Culture that jeeprs is describing is actually spiritual is that it is a means of establishing a mental awareness of the spirit: Connecting the mind and spirit so that our thoughts and actions are informed by the light of spirit and by our spiritual connection to the Divine (or the Dharma or the One) and to all things.

jeeprs;139681 wrote:
I think there are several separate kinds of phenomena that get placed under the heading of 'religion'. One stream concerns beliefs about the legendary heroes, mythical beings, and Gods. Another stream originates with shamanism, healing, and meditation and is characteristically associated with the Hindu yogas. Then there is the philosophical spirituality of a Plato or Plotinus. As far as many people go, they will tend to place it all in the same category, and call it 'religion'. So one of the things I was trying to do in this post was bring out the more mystical and philosophical side of the subject. It has become very much submerged in Western Christianity.

But perhaps it is me muddying the waters. Maybe I just should stick to talking about Dharma and hope that people know what I am on about!

I see meditation as a means of communing with the Divine Spirit, or God Within You. (Although these may not be concepts to which you subscribe.) In the words of Baha'u'lah: "O SON OF BEING! Thy heart is My home; sanctify it for My descent. Thy spirit is My place of revelation; cleanse it for My manifestation." IMHO "sanctifying" means letting go of your ego and "cleansing" means freeing your thoughts from the sayings of men.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:47 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;139778 wrote:
these may not be concepts to which you subscribe.

The concept is similar, but the terminology is different.
1CellOfMany

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:12 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;139786 wrote:
The concept is similar, but the terminology is different.

I am glad that you recognize that! There are many deep truths and esoteric experiences that are difficult, nearly impossible, to express in words. "The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao." Different traditions and cultures have used different words to express these truths, and confusion results from accumulated connotations accreted to those explanations. [Do I seem to enjoy alliteration? Smile] Sometimes a new understanding comes from seeing a number of translations of explanation of the same concept from different traditions.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:51 pm
@jeeprs,
There is another point I keep remembering while interacting with the Forum, and in life generally. 'Religion' means different things to different people. What it means to me might not even strike someone else as 'religion'. What an evangelical fundamentalist thinks of as religion might be something quite different to what I think of it.

So again, I am aware of the 'polarizing' effect of the debates around religion and science. It seems to me the antireligious have a very exact definition of what religion is. To them, to be religious is to be superstitious, uncritical, unreflective, to swallow something whole without asking any questions. It is a shame that this is what religion has become for so many, and all it can be thought to mean. It is something much more subtle than that, the meaning of which can only become apparent if you are able to really engage with it through some form of spiritual culture. And where it takes you might not be anything like what you had thought 'religion' to be.
1CellOfMany

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:25 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;140396 wrote:
There is another point I keep remembering while interacting with the Forum, and in life generally. 'Religion' means different things to different people. What it means to me might not even strike someone else as 'religion'. What an evangelical fundamentalist thinks of as religion might be something quite different to what I think of it.

So again, I am aware of the 'polarizing' effect of the debates around religion and science. It seems to me the antireligious have a very exact definition of what religion is. To them, to be religious is to be superstitious, uncritical, unreflective, to swallow something whole without asking any questions. It is a shame that this is what religion has become for so many, and all it can be thought to mean. It is something much more subtle than that, the meaning of which can only become apparent if you are able to really engage with it through some form of spiritual culture. And where it takes you might not be anything like what you had thought 'religion' to be.

Yes! That is very well said, jeeprs. Thank you.
0 Replies