Evolutionary Philosophy and Reasons for Existence

Khethil

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:16 pm
@Dave Allen,
jeeprs;117890 wrote:
Postscript: actually I am coming around to the view that it is actually the materialist outlook that is self-absorbed, exactly because it can see no real connection between man and nature. If 'nature is dumb' - if the watchmaker is indeed blind, and we are only here by virtue of our selfish genes, then it stands to reason the only motives are material ones, and Nature is simply this vast quarry from which we extract resources and on which we build our artificial environments. Our morality, such as it is, has no relationship with nature on the whole, but can exist in the theatre of the conscious ego. Now that is self-absorption. (Incidentally I have just seen Avatar, which has partially inspired this rant. I'm with the blue guys.)

Well, I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on whether or not something constitutes self-absorption. I brought it up previously as a point that piqued my interest; whether a theory is or isn't can speak to how it might have come into being (i.e., as a motive to spring from the very mind it strokes) but it doesn't directly speak to something's plausibility.

And I'm curious about your correlation of materialism ("the materialist outlook that is self-absorbed, exactly because it can see no real connection between man and nature"). I'm no expert on it, but as I understand it; precisely because the materialist's "tools" (read: matter) is/are all elements of nature, how might that equate to seeing "no connection"? It doesn't seem to follow at all...

Cheers
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:40 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117923 wrote:
To accomodate this, genetic theorists had to devise a way to show that, in fact, this was still the 'selfish gene' at work.
Well, you may consider this circular, but the thing is that within the paradigm of evolutionary biology, the fact that something that has persisted until the present (be it a gene, an organ, a behavior, or an animal), is in itself a statement about its evolutionary implications.

That doesn't mean that all things need to be advantageous -- they can be neutral, or they can be disadvantageous but compensated by other factors.

It's the ubiquity of altruism that allows us to infer that it's biologically innate.

I doubt anyone will ever come up with one gene that is responsible though, and not just because it's polygenic. It's simply because altruism is a concept, it's not an easily measurable thing, so you can't take a million people, score them on an altruism test, and then go mine their genes. To speak of a gene for altruism (selfish or not) makes as much sense to speak of a gene for walking.
prothero

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:00 pm
@Aedes,
To exchange views, not to change minds, to broaden perspectives and to better understand one another, no other purpose in participating in the discussion.

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] To call something ordered or well-arranged, for that matter, would require some standard against which to judge that which is being evaluated. Or, at the very least an knowledge-environment which can take into account the variables for contrast and comparison. I know what I perceive to be "order" by having some grasp of the in-context ideal of what "disorder", for that thing ishow exactly might that be known? [/QUOTE] I do not think these things can be "known". The topic of what is "knowledge" is another perennial favorite of philosophy. That the universe seems ordered and lawful is for me not debatable. In fact the universe is so ordered and lawful many think it is deterministic with only one possible future and one possible past. I reject this type of determinism but the universe (IMHO) is highly structured ordered possibility. The primary metaphysical mechanism is process and the primary metaphysical value is creativity.

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] . Which, as you aptly called, is hardly scientific. [/QUOTE] None of this is scientific. It is philosophical speculation, hopefully rational, and hopefully taking the facts of science into account in developing a coherent, internally consistent world view which corresponds to "all" the facts of experience.

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] For what little we think we know, and all that we do, I see nothing that indicates any overall purpose or ordered. Perhaps it is, I can't know for sure. But I do know there is as much natural phenomena that could be called destructive as constructive, as much thrives as decays, and its widely accepted that more species (in terms of lifeforms that we know, only) have ceased than thrived based on various factors; taken together, how might this be called "bringing forth life"?[/QUOTE] My first response is like the "creative destruction" theory of economic progress. The old and less efficient makes way for the new and more efficient. Creative advance requires creative destruction, the more efficient allocation of resources for higher levels of experience and novelty. Without opening a whole new topic, the conception of divine action is patient, persistent, persuasion not coercion or omnipotence. It is precisely the forces of chaos, entropy and disorder which the divine element struggles to overcome. This is the ying/yang the dualism of which the ancient philosophies and religions speak.

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] Further, as evolution itself tramples on, its a large misnomer that it's "advancing" - evolution adapts to environments, climates, conditions, interactions between and within species. Sometimes it perfects, other times it produces something nonviable over the long term and quite often it destroys. [/QUOTE] The universe has progressed from the formless void or "the big bang" if you prefer, to the systems of galaxies, stars and planets, life has "progressed" from single celled organism to human beings. You may not see this as progress. I have difficulty seeing it any other way. True is has not been a continuous path of unremitting progress like a human engineering project but it is a project engineered by nature and natures processes and if you will by natures god. The alternative would be the formless void, the primordial chaos. The lifeless, mindless universe, without order, without laws, without predictability, without reason.

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] We realize and learn of our past but can't see our future; and when evolution is, through the affectionate or vilifying terms expressed, contextualized to be a "towards-perfection"-kind of ladder, we therefore end up envisioning ourselves standing on the highest/higher rung. I guess it just feel its not only a bit over-egocentric, but constitutes a self-centered view for which there's no rational basis (or, none that I can see). Yes we've adapted much over the eons, but it's more a horizontal than vertical progression, so to speak. [/QUOTE] I think our abilities to see the order in the universe, to describe the universe is terms of elegant, simple, mathematical expressions is more profound than that. There may be (probably are) more intelligent creatures somewhere in the universe but we are part of the universe becoming self aware, self perceptive and our relationship and value, our level of experience to the presumed (for theists) universal or cosmic soul or mind is more "made in the image" to use religious terminology.

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] That's nice, I'm happy for you. I'm not completely decided, you know, I too have felt the tinglings of wonder and the beauty of what I perceive. But after decades of study, thought and philosophical inquiry, I'm currently at a place where although I could easy stand with you and say, "Yes, I see it too!", I'd be disingenuous if I didn't also add that rationally, I fail to see any basis to adhere to such a notion - not that such couldn't be the case, only that I find nothing to indicate any over-arching purpose is present. I do honestly strive to see the different aspects of any issue: I hope this was <this> way, I want <that> yet what I see and know leads me to <yada>. [/QUOTE] Well one must remain true to his/her intellectual integrity. Personally I think you have a choice about how to see it. You can see the universe as primarily a mechanistic machine, in which matter is primary reality and in which life and mind are the brief, insignificant and ultimately purposeless accidental results of blind cosmic indifference. You can see the universe as alive, enchanted, and permeated by spirit; having perception and experience all the way down (to the very core of reality). I choose the latter. This for me is the "leap of faith". Either view involves more than we do or can possibly "know".

[QUOTE=Khethil;117872] Can't something which has no purposeful-intent be worthy of our admiration? Can't it be beautiful? In order to have irresistible adoration - can it be purely natural; a product of "indifferent" or "blind" processes absent of some guiding-hand (read: purpose)? I think so - and the more I learn about my world the more I see that nothing need be "purposefully created", or otherwise have purpose, in order to still be something wonderful to behold. [/QUOTE] Whether one sees purpose or not the universe is infinitely interesting and beautiful to behold. I just find that to view the universe as permeated with spirit and experience is more inspiring and has great utilitarian value for me. For me the view of "experience all the way down", "mind as a fundamental aspect of reality", "an emanation of spirit" or "a manifestation of the divine" is a useful mindset to maintain. I guess I am just a natural born theist. The theist view is still the majority view, maybe it is the god gene.

---------- Post added 01-06-2010 at 08:39 PM ----------

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117890]. If 'nature is dumb' - if the watchmaker is indeed blind, and we are only here by virtue of our selfish genes, then it stands to reason the only motives are material ones, and Nature is simply this vast quarry from which we extract resources and on which we build our artificial environments. [/QUOTE] The abandonment of notions of transcendent purpose, values and aesthetics is a serious change in outlook from the traditional philosophies and religions.

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117890] Our morality, such as it is, has no relationship with nature on the whole, but can exist in the theatre of the conscious ego. Now that is self-absorption. (Incidentally I have just seen Avatar, which has partially inspired this rant. I'm with the blue guys.)[/QUOTE] At the very least one should try to preserve the notion that nature possesses "wisdom" and "respect for the natural order of things" . Man is not the measure of all things. We are part of creation (nature) not the purpose of creation (nature) and to forget this is to imperil our own existence.

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117883]. Pointing out the H Sapiens has (1) unique powers and abilities and (2) is the only being on earth who is both self-conscious and really able to perceive the universe at all does not indicate self-absorption. [/QUOTE] No other life form can derive the universal law of gravitation or the theory of relativity. Our abilities are unique, our powers are greater, with great power comes (as they say) great responsibility. If one regards god and the universe as rationally intelligible (not too large a leap of the imagination) then in some sense man is "made in the image".

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117890] I don't think animals actually 'see' the universe at all. You might think that an elephant or a monkey can gaze out like us upon the starry cosmos; I very much doubt it Birds may navigate by the stars, but they have no idea of 'stars'. [/QUOTE] Well, I am a panexperientialist (panpsycism) so I think experience in various sensory and non sensory forms is almost universal. What is it like to be a bat? We can not know but it is important to remember that bats likely have some form of interior subjective experience and so do many other (in my view) most other "things". In general I think the overall level of experience of humans is greater and that value is related to novelty, experience and creativity. So the life of a human has greater value than the life of an ant. Ants have their place in nature and have value too do not take me wrong.

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117890] As for the significance of consciousness being embedded in the universe, the point is that in an important way, intelligence precedes evolution.I[/QUOTE] It is a mystery to me why the universe is ordered and rationally intelligible but it speaks against blind indifference or accident to me. I know others think we impose this order but I fail to see it that way. The universe is ordered, lawful, creative and experiential with or without us.

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117890] It is basic to the materialist view of life that 'intelligence evolved'. I say the capacity for intelligence evolved. This capacity has surely evolved just as described, through the various stages of evolution. [/QUOTE] The emergent theory of mind. I find mind to be so fundamentally different (ontologic) from matter, that the notion that mind emergences from insensate matter is non sensible for me. Mind is a fundamental property of reality, and even the lowly electron perceives and has a realm of ordered possibilities. Mind (as humans experience it) has evolved over time and in stages but the fundamental constituents of mind: perception, memory, interiority and some freedom of action are inherent in the universe and experience is present to the core of reality. That is basically a panpsychist view.

[QUOTE=jeeprs;117890] For this vewpoint, life is purposeless by definition; you or I might have our purposes, our plans and ideas, but they can only be our own. (This might have some bearing on why only 15% of adults in the [/QUOTE]
jeeprs;117890 wrote:
US believe the evolutionary account of life. I think it is much more fundamental than fundamentalism, if you catch my drift.)
Belief in god or some other higher power or spirit runs at about 90%. Yours is not the minority view. There has been no society or culture without some form of religious or spiritual belief system. Man is a meaning seeking creature, we seek the transcendent, the divine. The notion of a blind indifferent universe and of accidental purposeless life and mind is not an idea that will change the world or find universal appeal. If that is the truth, I will choose god over the truth.

is sans observers. The universe is a human invention [/QUOTE] Well, I clearly do not think humans are the only observers. Nothing really exists except in its relationship to other things, even space and time are relationships not independent realities. Process (relationship, becoming, flux, change, novelty, creativity) is primary reality. Independent "being" is the illusion. Reality itself is perceptive. The lowly quantum particle can become entangled or paired and perceives what happens to its partner faster than the speed of light and without any apparent physical interaction. There is a message there and it is not the mechanistic determinism of Newtonian mechanics or Cartesian notions of time and space as fixed independent realities.

Process philosophy, panpsychism and process theology. Try them you may like them.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:45 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;118002 wrote:
Well, you may consider this circular, but the thing is that within the paradigm of evolutionary biology, the fact that something that has persisted until the present (be it a gene, an organ, a behavior, or an animal), is in itself a statement about its evolutionary implications.

That doesn't mean that all things need to be advantageous -- they can be neutral, or they can be disadvantageous but compensated by other factors.
or they can be deleterious, ala Biased Gene Conversion, and still stick.
Aedes

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:14 pm
@memester,
memester;118038 wrote:
or they can be deleterious, ala Biased Gene Conversion, and still stick.
You don't even need to invoke that mechanism, though. There are innumerable things that play into our survival and fecundity. Just because something is deleterious doesn't mean it will disappear from a population, so long as its overall effect size is very small. It may end up being less frequent, but something can persist at a frequency lower than 100% of a population.

And also, being of the opinion that evolution isn't done until a species goes extinct and will therefore continue, one has to consider that certain disadvantageous features eventually will become less frequent or disappear but it will take tens of thousands of years to happen.
memester

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:22 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;118050 wrote:
You don't even need to invoke that mechanism, though. There are innumerable things that play into our survival and fecundity. Just because something is deleterious doesn't mean it will disappear from a population, so long as its overall effect size is very small. It may end up being less frequent, but something can persist at a frequency lower than 100% of a population.

And also, being of the opinion that evolution isn't done until a species goes extinct and will therefore continue, one has to consider that certain disadvantageous features eventually will become less frequent or disappear but it will take tens of thousands of years to happen.
Or they do not become less frequent at all, smallness of deleterious effect being inconsequential, because natural selection is not doing the trick.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:28 pm
@jeeprs,
Right -- like the appendix. Its immune and digestive functions are negligible. Before modern medicine appendicitis would have been nearly always fatal. Untreated appendicitis may select out a lot of individuals, but it is probably negligible from a population point of view.

Furthermore, there may not be a simple genetic determinant that confers risk or protection against appendicitis, and selection against a polygenic phenotype may yield other problems. (or monogenic too, I suppose, after all my favorite example is sickle cell which is a single point mutation)
memester

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:47 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;118054 wrote:
Right -- like the appendix. Its immune and digestive functions are negligible. Before modern medicine appendicitis would have been nearly always fatal. Untreated appendicitis may select out a lot of individuals, but it is probably negligible from a population point of view.

Furthermore, there may not be a simple genetic determinant that confers risk or protection against appendicitis, and selection against a polygenic phenotype may yield other problems. (or monogenic too, I suppose, after all my favorite example is sickle cell which is a single point mutation)
appendicitis must have been raging, when I was a kid...so many had the scars.
funny how an illness like that becomes a veritable pandemic, huh ? a medical miracle , that they could control it. Laughing
QuinticNon

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:17 am
@jeeprs,
Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread. My comments are directed at the original prompt and nothing else.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
...can we still ask why has life evolved in the way that it has?

We make a friend of Death on that day we can no longer ask why.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
I think the mainstream answer is: for no particular reason.

What answers for this question will the mainstream provide? Mainstream... it means "go with the flow". Philosophy is not mainstream. This is a question for philosophy. Philosophy answers mainstream. Mainstream does not answer philosophy.

Answers from mainstream are dissected by philosophy, like a frog split open on a lab table. Poke and prod all you like. The frog is incapable of answering anything.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
I am pretty sure that any evolutionary biologist will give that answer. There is no 'grand design', life just is the way it has evolved in 'a blind universe of pitiless indifference'.

Any? Come now friend, please reconsider. Evolutionary biology suffers from just as much dogma as anything, but that does not prevent a certain small number of participants from challenging mainstream.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
Darwin's theory...observes that...random mutation will result...to the emergence of new species.

Darwin never mentioned the term "random mutation". I've lent my copy of Origin of Species out so I cannot quote exactly. He mentions "natural selection" along with a mysterious as of yet unknown mechanism for it to function upon.

Random Mutation was a phrase coined later by others who were racing to determine that mysterious mechanism. Its meaning has changed suddenly in the past few years... not evolved, but changed suddenly, as your Dawkins quote illustrates.

The term "Random Mutation" was originally designated as "accidental" and "without reason". Random Mutation was the biological equivalent to Singularity. Thus, Random Mutation, that term, is indeed the basis for the current mainstream opinion of specation "for no particular reason".

Random Mutation was the original birth of biological dogma. Accolades come to those who invent a term for that which is unknown, giving many the impression that some know what they are talking about, when in fact they do not. Ignorance can cover its tracks pretty good with the clever use of a new word. The modern day sound byte relies upon this tactic.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
However Darwin himself, and his successors, held that this principle explains everything that lives.

Not random mutation part. Only natural selection and the unknown mechanism that functioned upon.

I noticed this about four years ago. The term Random Mutation was being defended by infidels in many arena's. Your provided Dawkins quote illustrates the newly understood definition for Random Mutation.

From your quote: Dawkins,
"Mutation is random in the sense that it's not anticipatory of what's needed."

You will notice he dropped the term "random" and simply said "mutation". Yet he was directly answering a question about "random mutation".

You see, Darwin new nothing of the Genetic Code. The term Random used by his followers was seemingly justified back then because of this. But the more we understand codes, the more we realize there is nothing random about them at all.

Dawkins comes to defend traditional classic Darwinism with a new explanation, that leads us to believe it's not just a happy accident, but instead, it's our lacking ability to predict the mutation. Thus the term Random sees a new life... so to speak.

Well, Dawkins shares this defense of terminology with many others. Unfortunate for them to cling to such dogma, bending it instantly to serve their personal agenda. The theories of McClintock have been studied under the tech of modernity, and Dawkins latest attempt to save the term Random will be short lived. He knows this well, as should be obvious in his dropping the term in your provided quote to him. An excellent Spin Doctor.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
But the question as to why...are not addressed and indeed are dismissed by scientists as 'teleological'.

Answers to that question will not come from a dead frog.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
However in response to the question as to why life arose in the first place - if this is in fact a question...

It is a very good question. Don't let Spin Doctors convince you otherwise.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
...and why it turned out like it did - that is, as H. Sapiens and not like some indefinite mass of bluegreen algae...

Very tempting to complicate this "why" question by accusing my answer of oversimplification. Refrain from doing that, and see the forest through the trees. It's all very simple actually, but one must be willing to entertain this multi-layered subject. Difficult for a closed mind to ingest.

We must acknowledge the difference between a "why" and a "how". We must realize that answering your ultimate question requires understanding it in two parts.

Do not take the power of language for granted.

Questions and answers must always be communicated upon a code. The code is not the question, nor the answer. The code references the question and answer. Very simply, we understand "how" humans are not bluegreen algae by reading the differences between the genetic code of bluegreen algae vs humans. The answer to "how" is depicted by your genetic code.

"How" am I different from bluegreen algae must be answered first.

We determine the "how" in two different ways. One way is to look and describe. The other is to look and read. If the "how" is determined through observation and description, then there is no "why". We simply credit cause and effect attributed to the laws of the universe. If the "how" is determined through observation and reading, we should always credit the mind of an author. Questions of "why" can only be asked of a mind. We cannot ask "why" of a rock.

Why does your house stand? If you cannot find any plans that pre-determined its existence before physicality, then we must conclude that you live in a cave and there is no reason as to "why"... we can only give an account for the "how".

But if you can find a set of plans which existed before your house achieved physicality, then not only may we answer the "how", but we also have good reason to pursue a "why". Why? Because all plans, all instructions, all codified information always and only comes from a mind. Those plans not only point to an immaterial essence of "how" your house stands, but they also point to a mind which authored them.

Knowing that your house is a physical expression from the mind of a real architect allows you to contact him and ask... "why"? "Hey look buddy, I've got the plans to my house here in front of me. I can easily see "how" my house was built, but only you can answer "why" my house was built".

How unfortunate to be left with the mystery of "why" if one cannot contact the architect. The plans only give us the "how". At most, if we cannot communicate with the architect, at most, we may only conclude that the "why" is from the "desire" of another. We may never know the "why". But we can know the "how" and logically conclude the existence of "desire".

Kudos to the one who achieves direct communication with the architect.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:32 am
@QuinticNon,
Dave Allen;117938 wrote:
Beyond your distaste - what's preposterous about it?

Well I have an intuitive distrust of genetic reductionism. I have done a little research and I find I am not alone. In an article called Richard Dawkins - Scientist or Propagandist?, a writer called Steve Davis mounts a pretty effective critique of the idea that altruism can be regarded as a devious plot by 'the selfish gene' to mimic compassion when in fact the real outcome is (as always) simply its own propogation.

Dawkins says, in The God Delusion, that our kindness to strangers is a 'Darwinian mistake' - a useless, misdirected extension of our feelings of kinship. (p221) So - if you can't make the fact of altruism fit the theory of selfishness, challenge the facts. We're not really able to be kind to strangers, and if we are, it must be a mistake.

Darwin actually devotes two chapters of Descent of Man to discussing the evolutionary advantages of altruism in the context of human tribes. But this is not in the context of genetics (obviously, because they were unknown at the time.) Davis says this fact embarrases Dawkins because 'group selection' of this kind can't be explained with reference to the selfish gene idea. So he always downplays it.

And so on. The whole area of kin selection and the genetic basis of altruism is a large topic and I am no specialist so I won't go on. I do understand that the mathematical basis of the kin selection theory is hard to understand, and I think it is also contentious.

But I will make one other observation.

The theory behind the Selfish Gene is that beings are really automatons whose only real purpose is the effective propogation of genes. Consequently human nature is naturally inclined to be selfish. Dawkins, now in the guise of Liberator of the Human Condition, says in the Selfish Gene that "We can discuss ways of deliberately cultivating and nurturing pure, disinterested altruism, something that has no place in nature something, that has never existed before in the whole history of the world." (p 217 my bolds).

So one question is this. Altruism has a long history in all of the ethical systems of the world, pretty much from the beginning of written history (and well before, if you include the oral traditions). Again, I find the claim that this is really just a sophisticated type of strategy on the part of the gene (which is now being acknowledged as author of the Epics, the Scriptures, the Greek Myths and so on) preposterous. Maybe an alternative is that it is not really altruism at all, because it is the product of religious thinking, which is ignorance. And it would certainly come as a surprise to Buddhists, whose whole outlook has been based on Metta (loving kindness) and Karuna (compassion) since Day One.

Or a better explanation might be because altruism really has always been a primary quality of human nature, and it is not solely determined by genetics. I think I prefer that one, and I also think it is true.

(Here's an interesting thought: is Richard Dawkins the Herbert Spencer of the 21st Century?)

Khethil;117992 wrote:
I'm curious about your correlation of materialism ("the materialist outlook that is self-absorbed, exactly because it can see no real connection between man and nature"). I'm no expert on it, but as I understand it; precisely because the materialist's "tools" (read: matter) is/are all elements of nature, how might that equate to seeing "no connection"? It doesn't seem to follow at all...

This is an idea that has come to me lately. It might not work out. But the logic is this. Materialists (my standards are always Dawkins, Dennett, and Monod) say that they have punctured the delusion that pre-moderns had about man's privileged position in the centre of the cosmos. This was of course depicted literally in the pre-Copernican cosmology of the Earth-centred universe. Now, we are told, we are just another species, on just another planet, in just another galaxy. This is 'the modern mindset'.

But wait! Part of the old religious cosmologies always was, along with the cosmology, the Will of God (or the Gods, or Heaven, depending...). In addition, in traditional societies generally, nature was alive with purpose, often personified or characterised as local dieties, nature spirits, and so on. Shamans, priests and medicine men were (among other things) intermediaries between the human realm, the spirit realm and the animal realm.

Now in our mechanistic universe, there is no purpose, by definition. The watchmaker is blind, right? So evolution can only proceed stepwise, one adaption at a time. As it happens, it has give rise to H Sapiens. We are conscious beings who can make plans, form intentions, and execute them. But the Universe itself is just dumb matter. So in the modern world, in the universe as we understand it now, the only purposes are our own. You can't really speak about the intentions or purposes of 'nature' or 'God', or animals (except the latter are allowed 'teleonomy' which is 'apparent purpose' in the same way that the selfish gene allows 'apparent altruism' - more materialist double-talk).

So - no real connection with nature. Nature is dumb, after all - how can you relate to it? And I reckon this is a big factor behind civilization and its discontents.

Now I know 'purpose', 'intention' and 'reason' are very slippery concepts, and this argument seems pretty radical. But think about it. I am sure it is one of the hallmarks of the 'modern secular outlook': there is no will above your own. It's the 'disenchantment of nature'. That is a big part of the dynamic of modernism. (I'm with the blue guys, remember?)

Aedes;118002 wrote:

I doubt anyone will ever come up with one gene that is responsible though, and not just because it's polygenic. It's simply because altruism is a concept, it's not an easily measurable thing, so you can't take a million people, score them on an altruism test, and then go mine their genes. To speak of a gene for altruism (selfish or not) makes as much sense to speak of a gene for walking.

Well there you are - I couldn't agree more. This is precisely the difference between scientific analysis and scientific ideology. Those who are wedded to the idea of genetic determinism could not make such an admission, could they?

prothero;118011 wrote:
Process philosophy, panpsychism and process theology. Try them you may like them.

Actually, now you mention it, I used to know Charles Birch, who has only just recently died, and a wonderful process-oriented environmental philosopher, and also John B. Cobb, a well-known process theologian, who wrote the best book I ever read on Christian-Buddhist dialog. I love those guys. They are definitely on my heroes list.

---------- Post added 01-07-2010 at 07:35 PM ----------

Oh, and thanks too, QuinticNon, great to see you back. :bigsmile:

I am still working through the code-related idea. I went and looked at a big debate on it on the Freethinkers board. I also notice it is mentioned in Paul Davies The Goldilocks Enigma: Why is the Universe Just Right for Life? I think it is definitely gaining ground, that idea.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:40 am
@memester,
memester;118056 wrote:
appendicitis must have been raging, when I was a kid...so many had the scars.
funny how an illness like that becomes a veritable pandemic, huh ? a medical miracle , that they could control it. Laughing

my guess would be that appendectomies were raging at the time. when i was a kid everybody had tonsillectomies and it became a fad or a craze until it was decided that it caused more harm than good.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 08:11 am
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;118070 wrote:

Random Mutation was the original birth of biological dogma. Accolades come to those who invent a term for that which is unknown, giving many the impression that some know what they are talking about, when in fact they do not. Ignorance can cover its tracks pretty good with the clever use of a new word. The modern day sound byte relies upon this tactic.

Not random mutation part. Only natural selection and the unknown mechanism that functioned upon.

I noticed this about four years ago. The term Random Mutation was being defended by infidels in many arena's. Your provided Dawkins quote illustrates the newly understood definition for Random Mutation.

From your quote: Dawkins,
"Mutation is random in the sense that it's not anticipatory of what's needed."

You will notice he dropped the term "random" and simply said "mutation". Yet he was directly answering a question about "random mutation".

You see, Darwin new nothing of the Genetic Code. The term Random used by his followers was seemingly justified back then because of this. But the more we understand codes, the more we realize there is nothing random about them at all.

Dawkins comes to defend traditional classic Darwinism with a new explanation, that leads us to believe it's not just a happy accident, but instead, it's our lacking ability to predict the mutation. Thus the term Random sees a new life... so to speak.

Dawkins at work. "Random" now means "does not look ahead to act with a goal in mind"

Also he says that everything is exactly as you'd expect it to be if Evolution were true.
What do we know about what we might expect ? What do we know about all existent forms, all non existent froms, all possible, or the impossible ?

He's offering a trick again. We only expect what we have seen already. We did not expect to find life in sea vents or volcano. We do not expect that Honeyguide birds exist, until we know they do. Why not Waterguide birds and why is there not a guide bird for many of the other foods ?

---------- Post added 01-07-2010 at 09:25 AM ----------

salima;118074 wrote:
my guess would be that appendectomies were raging at the time. when i was a kid everybody had tonsillectomies and it became a fad or a craze until it was decided that it caused more harm than good.
I'm glad that I ate bag lunches at school. If you came down with a slight touch of food poisoning, had a cramp, or something, out came your appendix - almost as if having worried parents made you a target for appendectomy. that's a slight exaggeration ...Surprised...but those docs were dangerous salespeople.

I understand that being admitted to a hospital in the wee hours of the morning is much more likely to result in an unnecessary operation than if you enter during elective surgery hours.
QuinticNon

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 10:48 am
@memester,
memester;118104 wrote:

Dawkins at work. "Random" now means "does not look ahead to act with a goal in mind"

He confuses (intentionally?) the cause with the response. Barbara McClintock clearly states that genes "sense danger, respond, and act, (not re-act) accordingly". James Schapiro and many others have confirmed her findings.

It is only the cause which is random. And only in the sense that we do not know what cause/effects lead to the new cause that genes are responding to. The actual gene mutation is very directed and non-random at all.

memester;118104 wrote:
Also he says that everything is exactly as you'd expect it to be if Evolution were true.

Then how will he explain pseudogenes? The Darwinian model says "use it or loose it". Pseudogenes fit the Designer model better. Good designers always keep a copy of the older plans... for reference and undo's. Primate olfactory genes are found in human pseudogenes. Why would they still be there in the classic Darwinian model?

memester;118104 wrote:
What do we know about what we might expect ? What do we know about all existent forms, all non existent froms, all possible, or the impossible ?

Please give an example of a "non existent form". May we designate that which is "possible" as all things we have actually encountered. May we then designate that which is "potential" as all things we have not encountered, yet could be under the potential of chaos. Unicorns can be potentially real, but lacking evidence suggests that they are not possible.

memester;118104 wrote:
He's offering a trick again. We only expect what we have seen already.

Yes, we expect what is possible.

memester;118104 wrote:
We did not expect to find life in sea vents or volcano.

Correct, but they were always potential.

---------- Post added 01-07-2010 at 11:03 AM ----------

jeeprs;118071 wrote:
The theory behind the Selfish Gene is that beings are really automatons whose only real purpose is the effective propogation of genes.

Illustrative of running a program. Human purpose is to simply run a program... automatons. The program is purpose. Running the program is purpose incarnate into physicality.

Perhaps for animals. But not for humans.

Humans have one singular difference beyond animals. Written Language.

Humans not only run a program they are given, but they also have the ability to write new programs to define themselves individually. Dung Gnats cannot do that. Neither can Orangutan's.

Odd that written language is only approximately 8,000 years old. About the same time as Eve bit the apple, and our eyes were opened to see as God sees.

Before that was only primitive spoken language. Bees, Whales, Wolves and Dolphins can do that. Written language defines human characteristics as different than animals.
memester

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:08 am
@QuinticNon,
Dawkins offers his foolishness as reason. He cannot even distinguish race from ethnicity, from nationality or religion - apparently.

It is being a bit kind to him to assume that he really does not know there is a difference between a being a Jew and being of the Jewish religion and being an Israel supporter.

David Berreby: Richard Dawkins' Jewish Question

---------- Post added 01-07-2010 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuinticNon;118170 wrote:

Please give an example of a "non existent form".
The Dodo is non existent.

for a better idea of what is being considered, the term "morpho-space"
is being used, and googling that might be helpful. I've just started thinking about that statement of Dawkins' in the last couple of days

Evolution - A-Z - Morphospace
0 Replies

pagan

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm
@QuinticNon,
hi jeeprs

i cannot see any way that the theory of evolution in materialistic 'darwinian' terms could answer why we are here and what is our purpose, other than survival and circumstance. It is man as machine.

'why do the wheels go round on my car?' can be answered in mechanistic terms. 'Why it is on the A4?' can be answered 'because your brother is picking up a doner kebab for you from marlborough' which can be interpreted as either a mechanistic answer or a socio spiritual one.

"why are we here?" is thus a question ambiguous in meaning. Asked of machines it could be in one sense 'thats not an answer applicable to the motivation of machines', or mechanistically 'because the universe created us machines here, and this is the latest map of history with regard to homo sapien'. But accepted in the human spiritual sense 'why are we here' is a much more difficult question ..... but how can evolution possibly help answer it except by stating that we are machines and therefore the question becomes not applicable because the spiritual sense of the question is self illusion and delusion by a machine asking the question in an incorrect way.

Science is the study of the universe through data collected necessarily by machines. Once humans are seen as machines by science ..... then it can ask questions of humans and include the data in its overall project. Evolution provides a mechanistic answer to the question 'why are we here?' and what follows scientifically is profound in its understanding of people and life generally. ie Its all machine; the universe, life and all history.

Having said that, evolution can provide us with historical data and materialistic observations that could modify how we answer the question 'why are we here?' in the spiritual sense. For example altruism. Many evolutionists see altruism as evolving in the recent geological past as a small group kin matrix. (not unique to humans). Since then in a very short time, we have exploded our populations to live predominantly with thousands of strangers. Thus in 'darwinian machine mode' altruism in a modern environment is seen as a funny mistake ...... but in a spiritual sense it resonates with seeing all people as kin.
QuinticNon

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:42 pm
@pagan,
pagan;118229 wrote:
i cannot see...that...evolution...could answer why. It is man as machine.

There are different types of machines. Leibniz and early Cartesians had qualifiers for natural organic machines vs artificial constructed machines. It is important to note the differences and then ask, "is man a natural or artificial machine"? Leibniz claims that question cannot be answered in purely materialist terms and thus metaphysics must be addressed.

20th WCP: Leibniz's Distinction Between Natural and Artificial Machines

Personally, I believe that any machine which functions by running a codified program is an artificial machine. Those without a program are natural. In this sense, by noting the genetic code, man is therefor an artificially constructed machine.

pagan;118229 wrote:
'why do the wheels go round on my car?' can be answered in mechanistic terms.

Only the mechanisms we know of. Whether or not there is an underlying codified instruction to the laws of the universe remains to be determined. If there is no code, then mechanics will suffice for an explanation as to why. If there is a code, then mechanics underscores a metaphysical set of instructions that pre-determined its function in advance of its physicality.

Thus far, we have found no code to the universal laws of nature.

pagan;118229 wrote:
'Why it is on the A4?' can be answered 'because your brother is picking up a doner..." which can be interpreted as either a mechanistic answer or a socio spiritual one.

If someone instructed the brother to do this, then why is answered metaphysically (socio spiritual). If no one instructed the brother (including himself), then it is purely natural (mechanistic).

Codified instruction is the trump card.

pagan;118229 wrote:
"why are we here?" is thus a question ambiguous in meaning.

It is not ambiguous. The meaning behind that question is to request meaning from another sentient source. The answer to the question is ambiguous, and depends upon it being asked of a sentient or non sentient agent. We cannot ask "why" of a rock. We can ask "why" of another sentient entity. Sometimes we ask "why" to ourselves but thinking we are asking the rock.

pagan;118229 wrote:
Asked of machines it could be in one sense 'thats not an answer applicable to the motivation of machines',...

Natural machines cannot have "motivations". Artificial machines can only have motivations if they are constructed from the beginning with the capacity to author their own new code beyond the original code of their initial programming. Humans can do this. Dogs and Bumble Bees can do this. Rocks cannot.

pagan;118229 wrote:
or mechanistically 'because the universe created us machines here, and this is the latest map of history with regard to homo sapien'.

That's simple cause and effect. Cause and effect have never been demonstrated to author codified information of any sort. Thus, "the universe" cannot answer the question of "why we are here". It is incapable of doing such a task, or answering such a question.

pagan;118229 wrote:
But accepted in the human spiritual sense 'why are we here' is a much more difficult question

It's only difficult to determine who to actually ask. Ask the wrong entity, who does not know the answer, and yes, the question is very difficult for them indeed, inviting much speculation. But ask the question to the correct entity, the one who knows, and it is quite obvious to them.

Questions of "why" must be asked of a "who". And a proper answer depends upon that "who" being the one who knows. All else is pure speculation.

pagan;118229 wrote:
..... but how can evolution possibly help answer it except by stating that we are machines...

Evolution does not make statements. Evolution is not a "who". Questions of "why" may only be asked of a "who".

pagan;118229 wrote:
...and therefore the question becomes not applicable because the spiritual sense of the question is self illusion and delusion by a machine asking the question in an incorrect way.

That's a rocky road friend. What is "spiritual"? Metaphysics?

I see much spirituality in the information sciences, in the sense that information is immaterial, the product of mind. Although the mind is very capable of "self illusion and delusion", codified information is extremely precise and verifiable by natural and artificial instrumentation machinery.

I hope the "correct way" of asking why is illustrated in my comments above. Questions of "why" must be asked of a "who" and not to a "what".

Computer programs can be authored with the capacity to re-author themselves, reacting to external stimuli. But the computer is not a "who", and so cannot answer the question of "why". Why must be asked of the original programmer.

pagan;118229 wrote:
Science is the study of the universe through data collected necessarily by machines.

Artificial machines designed by sentient entities, who themselves are also artificial machines with the additional capacity to author codified information. That's different from simply reacting to stimuli. Humans can ponder.

pagan;118229 wrote:
Once humans are seen as machines by science ..... then it can ask questions of humans and include the data in its overall project.

Science cannot "see", and so "it" cannot ask questions of humans. "It" (science) does not have an "overall project". Sorry friend, but in these discussion, I do not allow myself to personify that which is not a person. It only clouds the discussion and leads us away.

pagan;118229 wrote:
Evolution provides a mechanistic answer to the question 'why are we here?'...

Evolution does not provide or answer anything. It cannot.

Humans observe a theoretical phenomenal process and call it evolution. We study the phenomenon, but we do not ask questions of it.

pagan;118229 wrote:
...and what follows scientifically is profound in its understanding of people and life generally.

Again, there is no need to personify science. Science has no capacity for "profound" or to "understand" people and life. Science is a tool. A tool created by humans to help themselves with the "understanding of people and life generally.

Personifying science is a form of dogma. A man made tool does not "know" anything of the man who uses it. To suggest otherwise is tempting a new religion to form.

pagan;118229 wrote:
Its all machine; the universe, life and all history.

But what kind of machine, Natural or Artificial, or Artificial with the capacity to ponder, observe and author?

pagan;118229 wrote:
...evolution can provide us with historical data and materialistic observations...

No it cannot. Humans observe a phenomenal process, and author their own data to describe the observation. We are not describing or reading the phenomenal process. We are only describing our observations.

pagan;118229 wrote:
...that could modify how we answer the question 'why are we here?' in the spiritual sense.

Or in a metaphysical sense. Or as I prefer, in the sense of Informational Essence. Some would call that spiritual. But any knowledge attained by describing the process of evolution will never ever answer "why". The observation of evolution can only help us to describe the "how". "Why" must be asked of a "who".
jeeprs

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:42 pm
@jeeprs,
Well, all people ARE kin. There is a lovely saying in Buddhism 'Treat everyone with kindness: because in your many lives, all who are now strangers will one day be your relatives, and all who are your relatives will one day be strangers'. In fact one of the things I have always really liked about evolution is that through it, we are related to every creature, in a sense.

I can see the utility of altruism from a survival viewpoint. But I still don't think it, or us, can be ascribed to 'the selfish gene'. You could say that altruism, in some sense, is basic to all life from the very first simple cells; every creature no matter how simple has to learn to intract with others.

Machines are here because there is a species around smart enough to make them. They can't make themselves. Now there's a line of argument.....
pagan

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:04 pm
@jeeprs,
hi QuinticNon

Quote:
Personally, I believe that any machine which functions by running a codified program is an artificial machine. Those without a program are natural. In this sense, by noting the genetic code, man is therefor an artificially constructed machine.
well yeh we can only disagree there. The language and narrative of the machine is very powerful and seductive. I am not a fully paid up member myself Smile
Quote:

"why are we here?" is thus a question ambiguous in meaning.

It is not ambiguous. The meaning behind that question is to request meaning from another sentient source. The answer to the question is ambiguous, and depends upon it being asked of a sentient or non sentient agent. We cannot ask "why" of a rock. We can ask "why" of another sentient entity. Sometimes we ask "why" to ourselves but thinking we are asking the rock.
well we can only disagree again. There are several ways that this question has meaning depending upon the narrative used to understand the language. Your own reply even finally contradicts its initial assertion of another sentient source.

Quote:
It's only difficult to determine who to actually ask. Ask the wrong entity, who does not know the answer, and yes, the question is very difficult for them indeed, inviting much speculation. But ask the question to the correct entity, the one who knows, and it is quite obvious to them.
..... oh there are many different people who think they know the obvious answer. Quite probably many different entities too Smile
jeeprs

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:44 pm
@jeeprs,
I think the nature of hierarchical nature of living beings needs to be asserted at this point.

All living beings have a physical nature, a biochemical nature and a physiological nature. Humans in addition have a psychological, intellectual and spiritual nature.

The general point about heirarchies is that each level can only be properly apprehended in its own terms. In other words, even though physiology relies on the physical and biochemical levels, it displays attributes which are not intelligible in physical or biochemical terms.

From an essay by noted philosopher of science, Michael Polanyi, onLife's Irreducible Structure:

Quote:
If all men were exterminated, this would not affect the laws of inanimate nature. But the production of machines would stop, and not until men arose again, could machines be formed once more. Some animals can produce tools, but only men can construct machines; machines are human artifacts, made of inanimate material.

The Oxford dictionary describes a machine as 'an apparatus for applying mechanical power, consisting of a number of interrelated parts, each with a definite function'. It might be, for example a machine for sewing or printing. Let us assume that the power driving the machine is built in and disregard the fact that it has to be renewed from time to time. We can say, then, that the manufacture of a machine consists in cutting suitable shaped parts and fitting them together so that their joint mechanical action should serve a possible human purpose.

The structure of machines and the working of their structure are thus shaped by man, even while their material and the forces that operate them obey the laws of inanimate nature. In constructing a machine and supplying it with power, we harness the laws of nature at work in its material and in its driving force and make them serve our purpose.

This harness is not unbreakable; the structure of the machine and with it its working can break down. But this will not affect the forces of inanimate nature on which the operation of the machine relies; it merely releases them from the restriction the machine imposed on them before it broke down.

So the machine as a whole works under the control of two distinct principles. The higher one is the principle of the machine's design, and this harnesses the lower one, which consists in the physical chemical processes on which the machine relies. We commonly form such a two-leveled structure in conducting an experiment; but there is a difference between constructing a machine and rigging up an experiment. The experimenter imposes restrictions on nature in order to observe its behaviour under these restrictions, while the construction of a machine restricts nature in order to harness its workings.

This essay goes on to discuss the heirarchical nature of language:

Quote:
The theory of boundary conditions recognizes the higher levels of life as forming a hierarchy, each level of which relies for its working on the principles of the levels below it, even while it itself is irreducible to these lower principles. I shall illustrate the structure of such a hierarchy by showing the way five levels make up a spoken literary composition.
The lowest level is the production of a voice; the second, the utterance of words; the third, the joining of words to make sentences; the fourth, the working of sentences into a style; the fifth, and highest, the composition of the text.

The principles of each level operate under the control of the next higher level. The voice you produced is shaped into words by a vocabulary; a given vocabulary is shaped into sentences in accordance with grammar; and the sentences are fitted into a style, which in its turn is made to convey the ideas of the composition. Thus each level is subject to dual control: (i) control in accordance with the laws that apply to its elements in themselves, and (ii) control in accordance with the laws of the powers that control the comprehensive entity formed by these elements.

Does materialism attempt to understand life in terms of a single level of the heirarchy, or in effect, does it deny the heirarchical nature of reality? It seems to me this is what it is doing. As soon as you contemplate the heirarchical nature, it becomes clear there are different levels of reality which need to be apprehended by means which are suitable to their nature. But Western man believes that everything is reducible to physics.
pagan

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:18 pm
@jeeprs,
hmmm jeeprs

i am not sure i agree wholeheartedly with your heirarchal observations. In a sense i do agree especially re emergence. But interestingly evolution can be seen both in a heirarchal and non heirarchal way. ie some machines are better than others (in complexity, survival, flexibilty, longevity, reproduction ....), while all machines and all non machines are just matter.

I don't agree with Michael Polanyi's heirarchal structure of language either. Language is much more slippery than that in my opinion.
0 Replies