Evolutionary Philosophy and Reasons for Existence

jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:16 am
I don't want to repeat all the arguments in the very many threads that have been started on the question of evolution and the descent of man. I don't have a creationist agenda and am not interested in proving whether God exists or not.

However I have a very specific question which ultimately concerns the nature of causality, or how things can come to be. It is related, I think, to the cosmological argument.

The question, which is really very simple, is as follows: given that evolution by natural selection occurs, can we still ask why has life evolved in the way that it has?

From my familiarity with the writings of Darwin, Dawkins, Dennett ('Darwin's Dangerous Idea'), and Jaques Monod ('Chance and Necessity') I think the mainstream answer is: for no particular reason. I am pretty sure that any evolutionary biologist will give that answer. There is no 'grand design', life just is the way it has evolved in 'a blind universe of pitiless indifference'.

Darwin's theory does not really deal with this kind of question. It simply observes that, in a given population, changes that occur by random mutation will result, in a very small number of cases, in an hereditary advantage, which will eventually lead to the emergence of new species over long periods of time. However Darwin himself, and his successors, held that this principle explains everything that lives.

But the question as to why life evolved through the various stages it has, and why H. Sapiens came about at the end of a very long process of evolution, are not addressed and indeed are dismissed by scientists as 'teleological'.

Here is why it interests me. People often argue against evolutionary theory because it says that 'life arose by chance'. However Richard Dawkins dismisses this idea with his customary brusqueness:

Quote:
Q: A lot of people think that evolution is all about random chance.

A. Richard Dawkins: That's ludicrous. That's ridiculous. Mutation is random in the sense that it's not anticipatory of what's needed. Natural selection is anything but random. Natural selection is a guided process, guided not by any higher power, but simply by which genes survive and which genes don't survive. That's a non-random process. The animals that are best at whatever they do-hunting, flying, fishing, swimming, digging-whatever the species does, the individuals that are best at it are the ones that pass on the genes. It's because of this non-random process that lions are so good at hunting, antelopes so good at running away from lions, and fish are so good at swimming.

Source

However in response to the question as to why life arose in the first place - if this is in fact a question - and why it turned out like it did - that is, as H. Sapiens and not like some indefinite mass of bluegreen algae or a very successful species of fly, Dawkins must answer that there is no particular reason (as indeed is implied in the quote). It just so happened that the way in which natural selection worked, in the particular circumstances on Planet Earth, gave rise to the life we see today. It could have been completely different.

So this is the sense in which Darwinian theory can be understood to attribute the existence of life to chance. Not in the sense of just the random reaction of atoms and elements, but to the idea that it is a process guided by nothing other than survival. So, life by life, it is not really a matter of chance, in that each specific mutation is either selected or is not. But overall, the process just happened to turn out the way that it has.

It seems to me that this really elevates the principle of survival to a very high pedestal in the scheme of things. In fact, there is nothing that we can attribute the nature and current dominance of H. Sapiens to, in this scheme, other than his being the missiles that carries the payload of the most successful of all the 'selfish genes'. it's just what genes do. But I think we are still entitled to wonder why the thing ever got off the ground in the first place; especially, if, as the theory has it, there is no ultimate reason for it.

So - why is life on earth the way that it is. Is this a question that can be asked? Isn't this one of the questions that philosophy has always asked? And has Darwin really answered it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,090 • Replies: 121
No top replies

salima

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:25 am
@jeeprs,
this may only turn out to be rambling, but i'll take a stab at it anyway.

i think evolution or natural selection is determined by that species which is the most adaptable to its environment. that is not a cause of course, but maybe an explanation for the changes that have lasted over time.

but why does anyone think human beings are all that elite? sure we have been able to adapt our living space to meet our needs, and beyond that to exceed them. but as you say we have only been here for a short time.

what about rats and cockroaches? they must be really adaptable in the sense that they can adapt themselves rather than fiddling with the environment. and what about the more simple life forms like bacteria or amoeba which must have remained secure by mutating for eons...?

so i guess what i would be wondering is why should people retain the capability to do the things they can do, like make music and write poetry...i have heard arguments such as 'it has to do with social grouping' or 'it helps a person choose a better mate' but they always sound kind of empty to me. why would people have developed a sense of humor, to help in warding off heart attacks brought on by worry, which why did they develop in the first place?

now i am thinking that there is so little rationality in the things we have developed yet they go on. anything could 'just happen;' but it wouldnt become a permanent part of the makeup of a species without there being some benefit in keeping it. yet at the same time if we were the most superior being, why wouldnt the other species fall by the wayside? i hear that biology is perfectly balanced and if it is upset everything will crumble. but i dont think so, i think it must be balancing itself intentionally. otherwise, why wouldnt it just quit? a chance progression would have to make a big mistake somewhere sooner or later, wouldnt it?

sorry, just thinking out loud...
bluemist phil

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
@jeeprs,
Darwin did not think that there was direction to evolution. By direction people usually mean progress, and Darwin specifically denied the notion of progress. We are not *necessarily* the apex of evolution: a species with more intelligence may already exist (the octopus?) or may have died out due to other circumstances.

Unfortunately, Darwin did not have mathematical statistics ready at his disposal, or he would have mathematically proved his intuitive point. The proof has to do with the properties of random variation as the number of events increases over time. If you keep dropping marbles through a fixed funnel, the spread of the marbles gradually increases. With life, over the eons, complexity of the extremes will randomly increase. Single celled life was around for billions of years, but when successful complexity evolved, evolution of further complexity started to increase exponentially. For all we know, intelligent insects will follow us. I know parrots are amazingly more intelligent than pigeons with much the same brain size.

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 08:20 PM ----------

salima;116881 wrote:
why does anyone think human beings are all that elite? ... what about rats and cockroaches? they must be really adaptable in the sense that they can adapt themselves rather than fiddling with the environment. and what about the more simple life forms like bacteria or amoeba which must have remained secure by mutating for eons...?

I agree. From Darwin's perpective, bacteria, cockroaches and rats are far superior. But modesty and humbleness are not our strengths.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:41 pm
@jeeprs,
bet you a dollar to a house that H Sapiens are smarter than Octopus vulgaris.

I feel (having gotten over being annoyed by it) that the tendencies moderns have to liken H Sapiens to various species of insect, or animal, or 'chemical scum' (Hawkings) or 'biochemical fluke' (Monod) really signifies a profound inability to come to terms with our responsibilities. It is actually a covert attempt to escape from facing the awful burden of our uniquely self-conscious existence. After all, if were like an octopus, or a rat, or a cockroach, we would have no foreknowledge of death, any ability to contemplate our destiny, nor any larger responsibility for looking after the planet. So acknowledging our uniqueness is not arrogance. It is responsibility. I can't understand why denying it is felt to be 'scientific'.

I think Darwin conflated two levels of explanation. He was product of a culture which insisted there was a teleological explanation to human existence. This was tied into the prevailing religious view. There is of course no evidence of the scriptural account of creation, nor could there be, as it is obviously mythical. But in the culture of his day, prior thinking about evolution had been absorbed into the corpus of scholasticism. Therefore, whatever that thinking was, it had to be rejected. If that thinking posited 'a final cause', well then, it had to be rejected.

I don't think Darwin's theory as far as it concerns micro-evolutionary development is even contestable. But it is impossible to rule out the idea of teleology or underlying formal laws as a factor in macroevolutionary development. I feel that Gould's 'puncuated equilibrium' supports this type of understanding.

I am interested in the view of Thomist philosopher Etienne Gilson on the matter:

Quote:
The overreaching of many scientists into fields beyond their competence is perhaps explained in part by the loss of an important idea in modern thinking - final causality or purpose. Scientists understandably bracket the idea out of their scientific thinking because they seek natural explanations and other kinds of causes. Yet many of them wrongly conclude from their selective study of the world that final causes do not exist at all and that they have no place in the rational study of life. Likewise, many erroneously assume that philosophy cannot draw upon scientific findings, in light of final causality, to better understand the world and man.

Gilson sets out in this bookto show that final causality or purposiveness is an inevitable idea for those who think hard and carefully about the world, including the world of biology. Gilson insists that a completely rational understanding of organisms and biological systems requires the philosophical notion of teleology, the idea that certain kinds of things exist and have ends or purposes the fulfillment of which is linked to their natures. In other words, final causes. His approach relies on philosophical reflection on the facts of science, not upon theology or an appeal to religious authorities such as the Church or the Bible.

Of course, I expect that this understanding will always be rejected, on the grounds that it is felt to be religious. But I would be interested to know what kind of scientific analysis could rule this in or out of contention. I have a book which I think rules for it, but I will leave that until later.
Aedes

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:53 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;116851 wrote:
can we still ask why has life evolved in the way that it has?...

... for no particular reason....
Darwin and others most likely would not make a strong statement about whether or not we exist for a reason, because such a determination (one way or the other) cannot be derived from an evolutionary conception of life.

But that's sort of besides the point: does it make sense to speak of reasons and whys as if they exist outside the human mind? As if a reason, a why, is somehow intrinsic to existence (or at least our existence)?

Natural selection, molecular biology, all the things that go into our current scientific understanding of evolution, are 100% completely incidental if we hold that only humans assign reason -- and any because with which we answer that big why comes from our minds and not from a burning bush or an oracle.

In other words, it doesn't matter if we hatched from the cosmic egg, if we evolved from the primordial soup, or if we were created by a god that had no values or morals or mandates. In all of these cases, it's STILL "no particular reason". Reason and purpose are values assigned by consciousness -- so you are forced to identify that transcendental consciousness if you are to speak of a reason why we exist.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:24 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;117117 wrote:
does it make sense to speak of reasons and whys as if they exist outside the human mind? As if a reason, a why, is somehow intrinsic to existence (or at least our existence?

But really, this posits a complete discontinuity between 'the mind' and 'the cosmos'. If reason can only ever be something that is created by my mind, what basis does it have in reality? This is really a primary dualism. And the reason everyone is clinging to it so determinedly is because their ego is invested in it. This is the basis of individualism - that I am something separate. But at the same time, my being has been subordinated to the survival instinct. So even my reasons must be suspect - there is no reason to think they should be true.

This is actually a denial of the very basis of Greek philosophy. "Reason" "Ratio" and "Logos" were definitely and unequivocally understood as attributes of the Universe itself by the ancients. By denying the idea of any kind of formal or final cause or purpose, we are actually undermining the very basis of Western philosophy itself. Dawkins goes on at great lengths about how "rational" his view is, but I deny it. In terms of the tradition which gave rise to it, it is irrational. I think one of the reasons he is so annoyed all the time is that because deep down, he knows it.
Aedes

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:51 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117118 wrote:
But really, this posits a complete discontinuity between 'the mind' and 'the cosmos'. If reason can only ever be something that is created by my mind, what basis does it have in reality?
Do you have any reason at all to believe that what you conclude to be a "reason" has any correspondance with an actual reason?

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
This is really a primary dualism.
I'm really not interested in a label for it. I'm only interested in why you think that you, forever locked in your own mind, forever locked in a perspective that believes the universe has a purpose, can ever feel confident that a purpose belongs to the universe and not to you (and like-minded people).

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
And the reason everyone is clinging to it so determinedly is because their ego is invested in it.
No more so than you are invested in your own belief and perspective. After all, you are the one who started this thread, this conversation. You are the one who puts "teleologist" under your name. You also have an investment in your perspective.

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
This is the basis of individualism - that I am something separate.
That's a stretch. This has no bearing on a sense of community. In fact I think that authenticity is the savior of communities, because authenticity begets honesty: and you're never authentic until you take ownership of your own ideas as something separate from all influences.

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
So even my reasons must be suspect - there is no reason to think they should be true.
That's true either way. How often do we hear from theists that we cannot question God's motives or purposes, we cannot ever know why God lets bad things happen to good people. We have models like Abraham and like Job where we are supposed to go against our deepest instincts, to suffer, to sacrifice, because that is what God has asked. Many of our religions demand ritual and austerities, they prize deprivation, they prize suffering, they prize humility. In other words, if suffering and loss and evil are part of God's ways, and yet it seems so wrong, then a theist must ALWAYS wonder whether his instincts are true.

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
This is actually a denial of the very basis of Greek philosophy.
How can you speak of Greek philosophy as if it's one monolithic thing? Heraclitus and Pythagoras would have fought to the death in an iron cage before agreeing with one another. Plato and Aristotle fundamentally disagreed on nearly everything.

And inasmuch as Reason has been held by traditional metaphysics to be an essential trait of existence, that's completely speculative and circular. Sure, Ptolemy's universe is rational -- until Copernicus overthrows it. Newton's universe is rational -- until Einstein overthrows it.

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
By denying the idea of any kind of formal or final cause or purpose, we are actually undermining the very basis of Western philosophy itself.
That's because western philosophy developed before we had invented biology and psychology. The "very basis" of western philosophy was ignorant of what we're talking about. They made wine out of water and diamonds out of coal. If Descartes were born in 1950, I'd bet you his writing would have been a heck of a lot different.

jeeprs;117118 wrote:
Dawkins goes on at great lengths about how "rational" his view is, but I deny it. In terms of the tradition which gave rise to it, it is irrational. I think one of the reasons he is so annoyed all the time is that because deep down, he knows it.
I hope you realize that you're philosophizing based on your annoyance at this one person. He is a spokesman for himself alone. He does science an enormous disservice by contaminating it with his own metaphysics.
bluemist phil

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:01 pm
@jeeprs,
Darwin doesn't say where the car is going, only how the engine works.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:18 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;117121 wrote:
Do you have any reason at all to believe that what you conclude to be a "reason" has any correspondance with an actual reason?

Well, I think the fact that our mathematical abilities are able to describe to a very precise degree the first few microseconds of the existence of the cosmos, and many other attributes and characteristics of the universe which are completely impossible to detect via sensory perception, indicates that our rationality is connected to the cosmos at a very deep level indeed. The fact that Einstein could make predictions which could not even be verified by observation until half a century later is also a pretty good indication. It is like finding a building in the middle of the wilderness, and then discovering you have a key in your pocket which opens the door. All of which I think is a vindication of the way the Greeks understood the nature of reason, and also a triumph of rationalism, as opposed to empiricism.

Anyway, I don't buy the fact that this occured purely by natural selection. I think humans evolved as described, but at some level, there is something other than the 'survival of the fittest' driving it. And that 'something' is teleological. It is seeking an outcome.

If you believe in evolutionary psychology, I can't see how you can avoid a bind at this point. If our intellectual abilities are purely the result of adaption, or exaptation, we have no reason to think that anything they tell us is 'true' in any sense other than the pragmatic. In other words, they produce a result. But I don't see how 'the idea of truth' in a philosophical sense can at all be derived from the logic of adaptation. We are, after all, simply a carrier for our genes, who do the actual work of surviving, which is the only purpose we are allowed to have in the scientific scheme of things.

Anyway, enough polemics. There is actually some scientific argumentation to support this line of reasoning and I will dig some of it out.
jenygs09

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:22 pm
@salima,
salima;116881 wrote:
this may only turn out to be rambling, but i'll take a stab at it anyway.

i think evolution or natural selection is determined by that species which is the most adaptable to its environment. that is not a cause of course, but maybe an explanation for the changes that have lasted over time.

but why does anyone think human beings are all that elite? sure we have been able to adapt our living space to meet our needs, and beyond that to exceed them. but as you say we have only been here for a short time.

what about rats and cockroaches? they must be really adaptable in the sense that they can adapt themselves rather than fiddling with the environment. and what about the more simple life forms like bacteria or amoeba which must have remained secure by mutating for eons...?

so i guess what i would be wondering is why should people retain the capability to do the things they can do, like make music and write poetry...i have heard arguments such as 'it has to do with social grouping' or 'it helps a person choose a better mate' but they always sound kind of empty to me. why would people have developed a sense of humor, to help in warding off heart attacks brought on by worry, which why did they develop in the first place?

now i am thinking that there is so little rationality in the things we have developed yet they go on. anything could 'just happen;' but it wouldnt become a permanent part of the makeup of a species without there being some benefit in keeping it. yet at the same time if we were the most superior being, why wouldnt the other species fall by the wayside? i hear that biology is perfectly balanced and if it is upset everything will crumble. but i dont think so, i think it must be balancing itself intentionally. otherwise, why wouldnt it just quit? a chance progression would have to make a big mistake somewhere sooner or later, wouldnt it?

sorry, just thinking out loud...

Needs to read the waves and and hit them ar right angles . The boat is also loaded tail heavy thats why the back wanted to pass the front while still at speed and airbourne . Lots to learn from that video !

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:25 pm
@jeeprs,
A well put together post, there, jeeprs. I like that ! I will, as would be expected of me (I'd tend to think) point out some things regarding a few points, which would, nevertheless, be good to consider simultaneously, in tandem with, and in balancing against, the questioning, as well as the position from which the question is more obviously being raised.

jeeprs;116851 wrote:
However I have a very specific question which ultimately concerns the nature of causality, or how things can come to be. . . The question, which is really very simple, is as follows: given that evolution by natural selection occurs, can we still ask why has life evolved in the way that it has? (bold, underscore, italics, and color mine)

You are without question, doubt, or rebuttal at all, in any form, shape, size, and/or color, correct with your implied-through-present-task-undertaken assertion that the question can be asked. However, I will always argue in my pragmatism-based-position manner, what use would it be, other than to practice an art form, and enjoy the beauty, and savor the aesthetic value of that art form, to ask a question which cannot be answered other than by acknowledging that that, is simply the matter of nature that we know nothing about.

On the side, we can see two elements, highlighted in bold and indigo coloring, which could use some further distinction in the above quote. We can easily enough stipulate that to ask 'how,' is different from asking 'why,' and thus demand that they be segregated. Which one are we asking here?

With the introduction, perhaps one clarification stands to be made; I'll offer the following quotes (the first from this thread, the latter from another):

[indent]
jeeprs;116851 wrote:
I don't have a creationist agenda and am not interested in proving whether God exists or not.

jeeprs;86726 wrote:
I believe in God - not 'a' God, not 'The' God, not the Christian God or this or that God or God of any other kind. Certainly not the God that Dawkin's disputes, which is an archaic mythical tribal deity. The 'God' I believe in is some great unknowable vast and vital reality, the ground of being, the beginning and end of all, that by which all else exists. Of course I know there is no such 'thing' and that such a God does not 'exist'. It is beyond existence, beyond disputation, beyond assertion and denial. So it is also beyond profane thought and reasoning.(1)

We can thus take it that you are coming from the position of a religious belief-system which, in part (as parts of Buddhism do hold that there is a god of being), holds existence to be a base; according to the assertion of its dogma. That much may be fine and good, but to argue against positions and understandings based on the much more empirical knowledge (and theories and hypotheses based on these...over the passage of time) of what we H. sapiens have accumulated (as usually and fairly presented in the discipline of science [as opposed to negative scientism here]), one will have to use the same methods to do so. To use religious belief-system tenets to argue against scientific-method derived understandings, theories, and hypotheses, is an incorrect method of going about it.

So, from myself, regarding the OP, there are three main points of consideration which I am asking:

[indent]1. We can ask the question of 'why,' but must keep in mind that it is a matter of practicing philosophy only (an art form), and not a question which can be answered so as to direct an understanding of application, from the answer, towards our daily living in the world which we find ourselves with all other life forms.

2. We can ask the question of 'how,' but must keep in mind that we must then do so in the discipline of science, and not religious belief-system-based dogma. Also, and especially due to the immediately above, we must understand that testing, and the better and purer form of reasoning and deduction of scientific method, is the key to reaching any practical and applicable in our daily life in the world with all life forms answer.

3. From the two points above, we can also demand that arguments against the time-tested-derived-through-scientific method understandings, assertions, and claims, be done so by the same methods used to reach those understandings. [/indent]

Thus to answer your last questions in the OP (from myself), namely:

[indent]
jeeprs;116851 wrote:
So - why is life on earth the way that it is. Is this a question that can be asked? Isn't this one of the questions that philosophy has always asked? And has Darwin really answered it?
[/indent]

Yes, it is a question which can be asked, and which can be fairly answered if it were asking 'how;' but cannot be answered at all, with all our present valid and testable knowledge (including of course, knowledge of how a human can even emotionalize, or imagine such a scenario for an answer to the question) if it were asking the 'why' question. Yes, it has been a question for a long time, even before any more formal splits of philosophy and religious belief-systems, and no, I don't think Darwin was asking that question at all, so was not answering towards it.
Aedes

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:33 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117124 wrote:
Well, I think the fact that our mathematical abilities are able to describe to a very precise degree the first few microseconds of the existence of the cosmos
Hardly!! This is an area of extreme controversy, vast revision, and a dearth of evidentiary corroboration.

Age of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Current theory and observations suggest that the universe is between 13.5 and 14 billion years old."

That's quite a bit of error -- it's a 500 million year bit of uncertainty. Furthermore, you say "the first few microseconds". But they can't go back to the START. The beginning. Point zero. That is the most fundamental unknown in all of astronomy. That's why they call it theoretical physics.

They also cannot mathematically unify the fundamental forces of nature. And if they did, they would still need to corroborate it empirically.

Can you believe I'm arguing this? I mean I'm one of the most scientifically-minded people on this entire forum. But perhaps because I do science I realize that reason is our main tool for discovery and THAT is why the universe seems reasonable -- not because it's intrinsically so.

jeeprs;117124 wrote:
All of which I think is a vindication of the way the Greeks understood the nature of reason, and also a triumph of rationalism, as opposed to empiricism.
Right. Except that empiricism, via Copernicus / Galileo / Newton overthrew the Greek conception of the universe. Empiricism 1, Greece 0.

And modern medical research, starting from Harvey and others in the Renaissance, overthrew Hippocratic and Galenic medicine. Empiricism 2, Greece 0.

And Newton, by mathematically describing what he observed as gravity, overthrew Aristotle's position that heavenly bodies naturally moved in circles. Empiricism 3, Greece 0...

Oh, and I needn't remind you that Aristotle was the world's first major empiricist. He would have never accepted, as Plato would, that you can understand the world with your eyes closed.

jeeprs;117124 wrote:
Anyway, I don't buy the fact that this occured purely by natural selection.
There isn't an evolutionary biologist on this planet who thinks that this occurred purely by natural selection. Not one. Nowhere, no way, no how.

Genetic drift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jeeprs;117124 wrote:
And that 'something' is teleological. It is seeking an outcome.
That's fine, but it's your heart talking. It's what you want. Evolution seems too sterile to you. Because believe me, you will never be able to prove this at a scientific level -- unless you can interview God and we can all watch.

jeeprs;117124 wrote:
There is actually some scientific argumentation to support this line of reasoning and I will dig some of it out.
Argumentation by itself gets you nowhere in science. But evidence does. Stone cold evidence. That is what I'd like to see.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:32 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;117121 wrote:
How can you speak of Greek philosophy as if it's one monolithic thing? Heraclitus and Pythagoras would have fought to the death in an iron cage before agreeing with one another. Plato and Aristotle fundamentally disagreed on nearly everything.

And inasmuch as Reason has been held by traditional metaphysics to be an essential trait of existence, that's completely speculative and circular. Sure, Ptolemy's universe is rational -- until Copernicus overthrows it. Newton's universe is rational -- until Einstein overthrows it.

But the point I am making is that, no matter how much the Greeks might have disagreed with each other, they nevertheless had the general understanding of 'the rational soul in the intelligible cosmos'. For the cosmos to be intelligible at all it must be rationally ordered. The Greeks generally presumed this was because of The Gods, whether it was Zeus, or the Demiurge, or the One. It was implicit, or explicit, in much Greek philosophy - certainly Pythagoras, Plato, Aristotle, and all the neo-Platonists.

So in all these traditional philosophies, this order is presumed. It was 'crystallised' into the various versions of theism and deism that have now come under question by scientific philosophers. But in rejecting the metaphysical basis of Western philosophy, the locus of 'reason' has been shifted (or is that 'shafted'). It is no longer seen as as attribute of the cosmos itself; it is seen as 'an attribute of primate intelligence'. So in the scheme of things, 'reason' has now become subordinate to 'survival'. For a evolutionary philosophy to be applied consistently, it has to deny that there could be such a thing as an 'intelligible order'. Intelligibility, insofar as there is such a thing, can only exist in the primate brain. And so we are back at the question I started out with: where does it originate? How did intelligence bootstrap itself out of pond slime? Many people believe evolutionary biology provides the answer, but I am questioning it.

Aedes;117121 wrote:
I hope you realize that you're philosophizing based on your annoyance at this one person. He is a spokesman for himself alone. He does science an enormous disservice by contaminating it with his own metaphysics.

Actually I mentioned Dawkins, Dennett, and Jacques Monod. For good measure I will throw in E.O.Wilson and P.Z. Meyers as well. As far as I am concerned, they're all in the same boat.
Aedes

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:47 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117147 wrote:
But the point I am making is that, no matter how much the Greeks might have disagreed with each other, they nevertheless had the general understanding of 'the rational soul in the intelligible cosmos'. For the cosmos to be intelligible at all it must be rationally ordered.
Reason is the cognitive faculty by which we come to understand things. Because of that, it is inevitable and inescapable that the cosmos will appear rational. And that is why when the cosmos appears irrational, we undertake science in order to reconcile it with our reason.

jeeprs;117147 wrote:
And so we are back at the question I started out with: where does it originate?
That wasn't really what you asked at the beginning. What you asked at the beginning was why. These are entirely different.

jeeprs;117147 wrote:
Many people believe evolutionary biology provides the answer
No -- what people believe is that evolutionary biology provides the mechanism, whether or not we have the answer.

jeeprs;117147 wrote:
Actually I mentioned Dawkins, Dennett, and Jacques Monod. For good measure I will throw in E.O.Wilson and P.Z. Meyers as well. As far as I am concerned, they're all in the same boat.
But again -- who cares about them? They're not priests of the evolutionarists. They're individuals with points of view, but then again so are you and I and we don't sell books. The strength of the evolutionary argument lies solely in the science and not in the philosophical ramifications.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:20 pm
@jeeprs,
Well I don't quite know why you are interposing yourself between myself and my intended targets!

I started of by agreeing that evolutionary biology provides the mechanism. What I am interested in is something very simple, in some respects: it is a spiritual connection with the universe. a 'why'? I think most people are after the same thing. Furthermore I think many of the traditional philosophies provided this - and that is one point I don't agree on. I don't think they have all been superseded in all respects, by science. There is great wisdom in many of the old traditions which like every else is being dissolved in the acid bath of materialism.

I am only writing this because evolutionary psychologists and neuro-bots are basically always telling us that the universe is blind, indifferent, meaningless, and we are accidental tourists in it. It's a stupid argument and basically meaningless. If you win, you lose. Say if you manage to prove that the universe is purposeless (as if you could). What would be the first prize?
salima

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:54 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117115 wrote:
bet you a dollar to a house that H Sapiens are smarter than Octopus vulgaris.

I feel (having gotten over being annoyed by it) that the tendencies moderns have to liken H Sapiens to various species of insect, or animal, or 'chemical scum' (Hawkings) or 'biochemical fluke' (Monod) really signifies a profound inability to come to terms with our responsibilities. It is actually a covert attempt to escape from facing the awful burden of our uniquely self-conscious existence. After all, if were like an octopus, or a rat, or a cockroach, we would have no foreknowledge of death, any ability to contemplate our destiny, nor any larger responsibility for looking after the planet. So acknowledging our uniqueness is not arrogance. It is responsibility. I can't understand why denying it is felt to be 'scientific'.

actually nobody knows what an actopus thinks or knows. can we be sure a cockroach has no knowledge that death will eventually overtake it? so i dont buy any of that as setting us apart from all the other organisms.

i dont deny the uniqueness of humanity (and of cockroaches and rats) it is the idea of superiority that i cant agree with, and i am not saying you had that in mind in your comment, but many people do.

there may be some reasons why humanity is separate from the rest of the picture, but i dont see any yet. i used to believe it was art, but i cant say for sure no animals have an artform that i simply cannot identify or appreciate. i was thinking maybe it is because we are the only species that uses other species as laborers...the only species that breeds other species... but maybe we arent, i have to study the animal world more.

this is turning out to be a great thread by the way-

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 11:34 AM ----------

jeeprs;117115 wrote:

I don't think Darwin's theory as far as it concerns micro-evolutionary development is even contestable. But it is impossible to rule out the idea of teleology or underlying formal laws as a factor in macroevolutionary development. I feel that Gould's 'puncuated equilibrium' supports this type of understanding.

I am interested in the view of Thomist philosopher Etienne Gilson on the matter:
The overreaching of many scientists into fields beyond their competence is perhaps explained in part by the loss of an important idea in modern thinking - final causality or purpose. Scientists understandably bracket the idea out of their scientific thinking because they seek natural explanations and other kinds of causes. Yet many of them wrongly conclude from their selective study of the world that final causes do not exist at all and that they have no place in the rational study of life. Likewise, many erroneously assume that philosophy cannot draw upon scientific findings, in light of final causality, to better understand the world and man.

Gilson sets out in this bookto show that final causality or purposiveness is an inevitable idea for those who think hard and carefully about the world, including the world of biology. Gilson insists that a completely rational understanding of organisms and biological systems requires the philosophical notion of teleology, the idea that certain kinds of things exist and have ends or purposes the fulfillment of which is linked to their natures. In other words, final causes. His approach relies on philosophical reflection on the facts of science, not upon theology or an appeal to religious authorities such as the Church or the Bible.

a final cause could just as well be an end result, couldnt it? even one who believes in a god or controller or creator could accept the possibility that that entity did not have a set end result in mind from the beginning, as a work of art changes shape and often seems to take on a life of its own.

what i colored red seems to be the answer to me. what we are determines our purpose. the purpose is not an intention before we existed, and it could be that we have a modicum of choice in directing that purpose.

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 11:48 AM ----------

jeeprs;117124 wrote:

Anyway, I don't buy the fact that this occured purely by natural selection. I think humans evolved as described, but at some level, there is something other than the 'survival of the fittest' driving it. And that 'something' is teleological. It is seeking an outcome.

Anyway, enough polemics. There is actually some scientific argumentation to support this line of reasoning and I will dig some of it out.

i think natural selection is a part of it-(selection does not necessarily imply there is a selector, does it? just a funny thought that came to my mind...) but i think the interaction between the participants in the whole scheme of things is important. it can be seen as a seamless complete whole of which gaia is a small part. is there natural selection on the part of the earth as well? what determines changes in weather and magnetic fields etc...are they not also a sort of natural selection? or if not, be they results or effects of causes, why is not evolutionary changes the same?

natural selection to me would be better defined as the results that follow the causes...there need not be logic behind it, and if we see it there because of our capacity for reasoning, that is not necessarily a fault. but what beliefs should be drawn from this is where the trouble begins...

is the whole of creation seeking an end or result? i dont think that is necessary, i think it may be just going on a journey for the sake of it. anyway that is just another way of looking at things. yes, i am anthropomophing again...but couldnt this fit both views, that of 'no particular reason' and 'there is a reason'?

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 12:00 PM ----------

KaseiJin;117128 wrote:

So, from myself, regarding the OP, there are three main points of consideration which I am asking: [INDENT]1. We can ask the question of 'why,' but must keep in mind that it is a matter of practicing philosophy only (an art form), and not a question which can be answered so as to direct an understanding of application, from the answer, towards our daily living in the world which we find ourselves with all other life forms.

2. We can ask the question of 'how,' but must keep in mind that we must then do so in the discipline of science, and not religious belief-system-based dogma. Also, and especially due to the immediately above, we must understand that testing, and the better and purer form of reasoning and deduction of scientific method, is the key to reaching any practical and applicable in our daily life in the world with all life forms answer.

3. From the two points above, we can also demand that arguments against the time-tested-derived-through-scientific method understandings, assertions, and claims, be done so by the same methods used to reach those understandings. [/INDENT]Thus to answer your last questions in the OP (from myself), namely:
Yes, it is a question which can be asked, and which can be fairly answered if it were asking 'how;' but cannot be answered at all, with all our present valid and testable knowledge (including of course, knowledge of how a human can even emotionalize, or imagine such a scenario for an answer to the question) if it were asking the 'why' question. Yes, it has been a question for a long time, even before any more formal splits of philosophy and religious belief-systems, and no, I don't think Darwin was asking that question at all, so was not answering towards it.

i dont see why you stated 2-why must we ask 'how' only within the discipline of science? asking can be speculation, i believe philosophy is asking. your number 3 could be requested or hoped for, but there are times when an intuitive answer comes to a scientific question or a tested empirical answer comes to a theological question.

basically, questions and answers can come in various forms, and if we choose to ignore them or limit them we may lose a lot.

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 12:15 PM ----------

jeeprs;117147 wrote:
But the point I am making is that, no matter how much the Greeks might have disagreed with each other, they nevertheless had the general understanding of 'the rational soul in the intelligible cosmos'. For the cosmos to be intelligible at all it must be rationally ordered. The Greeks generally presumed this was because of The Gods, whether it was Zeus, or the Demiurge, or the One. It was implicit, or explicit, in much Greek philosophy - certainly Pythagoras, Plato, Aristotle, and all the neo-Platonists.

So in all these traditional philosophies, this order is presumed. It was 'crystallised' into the various versions of theism and deism that have now come under question by scientific philosophers. But in rejecting the metaphysical basis of Western philosophy, the locus of 'reason' has been shifted (or is that 'shafted'). It is no longer seen as as attribute of the cosmos itself; it is seen as 'an attribute of primate intelligence'. So in the scheme of things, 'reason' has now become subordinate to 'survival'. For a evolutionary philosophy to be applied consistently, it has to deny that there could be such a thing as an 'intelligible order'. Intelligibility, insofar as there is such a thing, can only exist in the primate brain. And so we are back at the question I started out with: where does it originate? How did intelligence bootstrap itself out of pond slime? Many people believe evolutionary biology provides the answer, but I am questioning it.

I am thinking that reason can be subordinate to survival-because without survival reason hardly matters. and I believe we try to find reason in what we see, but sometimes we cant and therefor conclude it is irrational. but why do we not conclude our reasoning power is inadequate?

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 12:16 PM ----------

Aedes;117155 wrote:
Reason is the cognitive faculty by which we come to understand things. Because of that, it is inevitable and inescapable that the cosmos will appear rational. And that is why when the cosmos appears irrational, we undertake science in order to reconcile it with our reason.

reason is not the only requisite for understanding...there is intuition as well. for instance, sometimes I can understand what someone wants though they do not speak my language, even at times when the situation is not a simple one but a more complicated issue-psychological issues for instance.

I dont think it is inevitable and inescapable that the cosmos will appear rational, because we are able to recognize a human being who is irrational-they exist. therefore, if the cosmos were irrational I think we would know it. and not everyone undertakes science to reconcile their questions...there are other ways.
prothero

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:16 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117162 wrote:

I started of by agreeing that evolutionary biology provides the mechanism. What I am interested in is something very simple, in some respects: it is a spiritual connection with the universe. a 'why'? I think most people are after the same thing. Furthermore I think many of the traditional philosophies provided this - and that is one point I don't agree on. I don't think they have all been superseded in all respects, by science. There is great wisdom in many of the old traditions which like every else is being dissolved in the acid bath of materialism.
Science and reason alone do not establish mans relationship to the universe. Science gives reliable information about aspects of existence and should be taken into account in formulating a more complete worldview. Science does not tell you there is no god, no divine, the universe has no purpose, of that nature is blind indifference. Certain philosophical assumptions might lead you to that conclusion but not science. Science is neutral on such matters. Science alone does not create a complete workable worldview it is always supplemented. Some just fail to distinguish between their assumptions and science. I really think the Greeks had it right about telos, mythos and logos. All are necessary to form a integrated world view and a complete theory of mans relationship to nature to existence.

jeeprs;117162 wrote:

I am only writing this because evolutionary psychologists and neuro-bots are basically always telling us that the universe is blind, indifferent, meaningless, and we are accidental tourists in it. It's a stupid argument and basically meaningless. If you win, you lose. Say if you manage to prove that the universe is purposeless (as if you could). What would be the first prize?
And when they do that they are not engaging in science. Science as a method does not impute or deny motives or purposes. To impute motives; or to deny motives or purposes is to engage in philosophical speculation and metaphysical assumption. What I tend to notice is that mechanistic determinists try to claim that their assumptions are scientific whereas those who impute motives and purposes more readily admit their philosophy and metaphysics. Evolution as a mechanism is not necessarily blind, indifferent or purposeless and as a process it is definitely not random. Science does not address values or purposes. Science in my view inherently gives a partial, incomplete and limited view of the world. This is not to deny reason or science or the knowledge they yield but to put in perspective the inherent limitations of the scientific method in addressing values and purposes.

Does science tell us that we impose order on the universe as some claim? Does science explain why the universe has regularities which can be expressed as simple, elegant aesthetic mathematical formulas? The universe is in many ways comprehensible to human reason, does science say why this is so? It is science that is blind and indifferent to questions of purpose and meaning. Our experience consists of more than what science tells us. The universe may consist of more than what science can show us as well.
KaseiJin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:04 am
@salima,
salima;117166 wrote:
i dont see why you stated 2-why must we ask 'how' only within the discipline of science? asking can be speculation, i believe philosophy is asking. your number 3 could be requested or hoped for, but there are times when an intuitive answer comes to a scientific question or a tested empirical answer comes to a theological question.

basically, questions and answers can come in various forms, and if we choose to ignore them or limit them we may lose a lot.

I am taking the position, as I had said, in so many words, in that post, that one asks as question for results--an answer. If we ask 'how life evolved, and we want answers that we can be sure of, that we can demonstrate as being most thinkable due to reproducing actually results that everyone can see, to do so, we have to go the discipline of science. Philosophy and Religious belief-systems do not do that. It is specifically for that reason that the Philosophy and Mythology departments are always in different schools within the university system (for the most part...sometimes courses will overlap). It's like asking how the embryo develops after conception, against asking 'why' there is this thing called an embryo. (which may not be such a good analogy, but I hope gets the point across.

If, in hopes to make it clearer, we ask 'how life evolved, we are asking about the process which is this 'evolving.' Philosophy does not do that by and of itself these days, without going to science for data. Then, if we wish to ask 'why,' we can of course do so, and we can muse over all thinkable answers, using various degrees of data from the discipline of science, or, even, none at all--but there is no way to verify any answer to the question. We can go to the various religious belief-systems, and find different answers (about as many different answers as there are belief-systems), but then we're gonna have to test those for accuracy just as well--if we want a tool to use in our practical, day to day living as human beings amongst many life forms on the planet.

If, for some reason, an intuitive answer comes to question asked in science, it will be tested; thus in the end, you have a tested and demonstrated answer (if it holds up...if it fails, it is discarded as error). Regarding the point about a 'theological question,' it might be good to better explain how you want to use the word 'question' here--as an actual question, or as simple a concern. (for example, the Golden rule is a general Christian based concern, and it is something which science has answered towards [explained the details of what that is for], but it is not an actual question; where as, for example, 'why did YHWH want to kill all the rest of the Israelites for being complainers when he had already acknowledged that he knew they were a stiff necked people, is a theological question which can be answered by a tested empirical answer--namely, that the text is not a true story, so the writer can make any contradiction with reality they wish to. )

Questions, and inquiry will come from many areas, fields, and disciplines or sub-disciplines, that's true, but we cannot match just any answer to particular question with just any question of any choice . . . it simply does not work that way.

Neither philosophy nor the data bases of the various religious belief-systems would have, nor do, explain the eleven year sunspot cycle, nor the eco-life systems around ocean vents, nor the DNA similarities between the H. sapiens and the H. sapiens neanderthalensis, etc. etc.

My number three is a requirement for consistency, for which I am sure we can find any number of failures (such as those who searched for oil in the Holy Land based on a certain OT interpretation, and of course, failed, Scientology) where humans have, in the past couple of hundred years, tried to mix answer/inquiry fields. It just doesn't work.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:49 am
@prothero,
prothero;117179 wrote:
Science is neutral on such matters.

Would that it were so. There would be no need for all of this, then. But science, or some scientists, have declared war on everything spiritual.

I can see I have opened a can of worms here. I will take in some of the other comments and come back to it very soon.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:59 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;117128 wrote:
We can easily enough stipulate that to ask 'how,' is different from asking 'why,' and thus demand that they be segregated. Which one are we asking here?

As I said, I am asking - why? Actually what I set out to ask was, 'can you ask why life evolved as it did? Is it actually a question?' But I have already decided, it is a question. But I don't think it is a scientific question, certainly not as science is currently conceived, anyway. I think this is a difference, very broadly speaking, between the philosophical and the scientific attitude to the question. Science starts from the obviously irrefutable fact that we and everything around us is alive. It can see the 'what' and theorise as to 'how' it arose and evolved. It appears to do that very well (with some major caveats to which I will return.)

The 'why' question is considerably more speculative. Why us? I think there is an answer to that question, but my answer may not be yours. In any case, it is a very big question. It is not something of which I have a proscriptive view - for example, as an evangelical Christian might. But mine is a spiritual answer nonetheless. More of it shall be made clear in due course.

KaseiJin;117128 wrote:
We can thus take it that you are coming from the position of a religious belief-system which, in part (as parts of Buddhism do hold that there is a god of being), holds existence to be a base; according to the assertion of its dogma. That much may be fine and good, but to argue against positions and understandings based on the much more empirical knowledge (and theories and hypotheses based on these...over the passage of time) of what we H. sapiens have accumulated (as usually and fairly presented in the discipline of science [as opposed to negative scientism here]), one will have to use the same methods to do so. To use religious belief-system tenets to argue against scientific-method derived understandings, theories, and hypotheses, is an incorrect method of going about it.

Very illuminating question thank you. Of course in some respects Buddhism is a 'religious belief system'. But there is an element in Buddhism which does not directly correspond to anything in what is normally understood as 'religious belief systems'. It is quite unlike Christianity in that it does not rely on salvation through belief. The Buddhist perspective on this whole question is actually right outside the whole question of whether God exists. Buddhists do not concern themselves with the origin of the world or speculative metaphysics. However, Buddhists believe that there is a moral law which governs all human destiny, called dharma, and that every vocational action has consequences, which is karma. So for this reason, Buddhism also rejects materialism. The reason I personally am interested in this debate is not because of my Buddhist oritentation, but because I think it is something very important in the context of Western philosophy and religion.

As regards Buddhism 'holding existence as a base', Dharma actually precedes existence; as does Karma. Without Dharma, nothing at all would exist (because it is 'that which holds things together'); and individuals only come into existence because of their karma. But to really explain this would take about several years of study. It is a very deep subject in its own right. I mention it because it is a third viewpoint which is neither theist, nor atheist, in the sense that Westerners understand those terms. I will often draw on the Buddhist perspective, because it is useful for 'breaking locks' in this dispute.

For example there is a perspective gained in Buddhist meditation which is traditionally described as 'lokkutara' - this means, 'world-transcending'. I suppose you could say this is 'spiritual knowledge' but it is neither 'a belief', in the Christian sense, nor 'objective fact' in the scientific sense. It can only be appreciated through hard practise. So already when you say 'dogmatic belief system' you are looking through a particular set of spectacles which may not be appropriate to what you are viewing.

KaseiJin;117128 wrote:
So, from myself, regarding the OP, there are three main points of consideration which I am asking:

[indent]1. We can ask the question of 'why,' but must keep in mind that it is a matter of practicing philosophy only (an art form), and not a question which can be answered so as to direct an understanding of application, from the answer, towards our daily living in the world which we find ourselves with all other life forms.

But the use of 'only' presumes that there is no real knowledge, or knowledge of anything ultimately real, to be had through philosophy. I have noted before, but will not quite be so blunt about it, this is a rather 'scientistic' attitude. Again, there is an implicit perspective in this statement that what is real can only be known by science. Please notice this. And as I have said elsewhere, reality is lived reality. It is not an abstract concept or something you see only in the Large Hadron Collider. It includes science but transcends it also.

KaseiJin;117128 wrote:

As I have already said, there is a type of insight that is available from the Buddhist tradition which is not a belief-based-dogma. It is real and immediate knowledge of something about the nature of experience, which is not normally understood. And no, I can't 'explain what that is'. It needs to be gotten. That is why people go on meditation retreats. But I can say, they come back with something that is 'absolutely applicable in daily life'. This is why the practise tradition of Buddhism has continued uninterrupted for 2,500 years.

KaseiJin;117128 wrote:
3. From the two points above, we can also demand that arguments against the time-tested-derived-through-scientific method understandings, assertions, and claims, be done so by the same methods used to reach those understandings. [/indent]

Agreed, except for one caveat. There are types of knowledge that are only real in the first person. Many scientists will, of course, be reluctant to acknowledge that.

salima;117166 wrote:
actually nobody knows what an actopus thinks or knows. can we be sure a cockroach has no knowledge that death will eventually overtake it? so i dont buy any of that as setting us apart from all the other organisms.

i dont deny the uniqueness of humanity (and of cockroaches and rats) it is the idea of superiority that i cant agree with, and i am not saying you had that in mind in your comment, but many people do.

Absolutely I do. Just to spell it out, HUMANITY IS UNIQUE. I don't understand how anyone can dispute it. It just doesn't make any sense to me, at all. So you can tar-and-feather me, run me out of town, but I will recede into the distance shouting 'HUMANITY IS UNIQUE.....'

Actually, the Buddhist perspective is also instructive here. In the next life, one is reborn in one of the six realms, according to your actions in this life. I won't list them all, but one is the animal realm. This is a vast misfortune, because as a creature you have very little opporunity to generate merit, and it is quite possible you won't get to be human again and have the opporunity to hear the Buddha's teaching for 'aeons and aeons of kalpas' (an unthinkably long period of time.) And why? Because animals, god bless 'em - and Buddhists on the whole will never ever hurt them - are dumb.

Sad fact but true.

salima;117166 wrote:
a final cause could just as well be an end result, couldnt it? even one who believes in a god or controller or creator could accept the possibility that that entity did not have a set end result in mind from the beginning, as a work of art changes shape and often seems to take on a life of its own.

what i colored red seems to be the answer to me. what we are determines our purpose. the purpose is not an intention before we existed, and it could be that we have a modicum of choice in directing that purpose.

The point of the Ettiene Gilson book, and I haven't read it, just excerpts, is that the very old-fashioned idea of teleology seems actually to work at all levels - cellular, within organs, within individuals, and within species. The idea of 'formal' and 'final' causes, are two types of cause which science generally doesn't consider - as the quote says, they were rejected by Bacon, early in the history of modern science. Yet many things don't make any sense without goal-directedness. So it has been re-introduced teleonomy. Some difference, eh?

The idea of this is that
Quote:
Teleonomy is the quality of apparent purposefulness and of goal-directedness of structures and functions in living organisms that derive from their evolutionary history, adaptation for reproductive success, or generally, due to the operation of a program.
(From Wikipedia)

Note use of 'apparent'. Can't be a real purpose.

salima;117166 wrote:
is the whole of creation seeking an end or result?

A great question. I have come around to the view, on the whole, that the universe is intentional. And if it is intentional, there is an end in mind. (I think this makes me a theist, but I am still contemplating the implications. And it is the kind of thing that everyone has to decide for themselves.)

salima;117166 wrote:
I am thinking that reason can be subordinate to survival-because without survival reason hardly matters. and I believe we try to find reason in what we see, but sometimes we cant and therefor conclude it is irrational. but why do we not conclude our reasoning power is inadequate?

I am questioning the degree to which our human faculties have been specified and shaped only by the principle of natural selection. I think every scientist here would say 'well there is no other principle at work here'. This I regard as a dogma. My main argument is that we are capable of such luxurious uselessness as advanced philosophy, music, art and the other amazing creations of human culture. Evolutionary biologists will always bend over backwards to rationalise everything we do in regards to how it gave rise to a competitive advantage out there on the Serenghetti. Even altruism. Some geek worked out the algorithm to explain how apparent altruism amounts to the selfish gene adopting the role of double agent. That is the part I am not buying.

There is a serious question about the development of human faculties, and their relationship to natural selection, in my mind, but I will leave it till the next installment.

I will leave you with a link to the John Templeton Foundation : Does the Universe Have a Purpose?

For the record - I voted Yes.
0 Replies