The quiet one. Can one be too smart?

Lasse

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 02:14 pm
I just wrote a peace that's been bugging me for quite some time. Had I been wanting to do more posting in this matter I would probably have set it up as a blog. But for now, it's only this one.

Hmm, so, these are my thoughts. That is if I am able to actually get something typed that remotely resemebles my real brainwork. I have a feeling that it might all just be a long list of insecurities, time will tell.

Last year I wrote a little thing, which you will see below.

Have you found your place in life?

"I am 20 years old, and I am searching like hell, I know which end result I want, and I am chasing it!
But I think the life that I REALLY want is very far away.
I would like to more or less unsubscribe from society, if that is possible.
I don't want to think about the time, all the time. (Irony?)
I don't want to see lightposts, large buildings, paved roads, stressful things.
I don't mind working, in fact I dream of my own motorcycle shop were mechnical skills are in top priority.
I would like to work for more primal things than the latest gadgets or the large barbercue grill only to show off to your neighbour.
I would like more personality into people, more interaction with the people around you, how many people on the streets do you see smiling?
I want a life with no obligations, at least as few as possible.
The list might contain some more, will add later if I remember.
So far I've come to the point where I can pack all my belongings and pack them on a motorcycle and just drive away.
I have no obligations to anything but the rent I pay.
I thought that I would find like minded ADV'ers here, hopefully atleast.
And as a little competition for those who don't know what I am talking about, how many "I"'s does this post contain?"

I still want that life, but I have also seen another thing.

But a little backflash first.

I guess I have always been the introvert person, I enjoy the computer alot, games, movies, tv, forums, expanding my horizons through reading basicly, reading of other peoples journeys and so on. However I also play the guitar and the irish penny whistle. It's quite easy to practice in front of the computer. My greatest hobby is motorcycling though.

When I was younger from the age of 15 and the following years I went to alot of parties with a mate of mine. He was always knew where something was going on, I didn't really. But anyway, I went to the parties, had very good times those years. And got alot of acquintences, no real friendships out of those people, the day after the party, it all seemed forgotten. And I can't help but think, that's it was weird, everybody else always talk to alot of different people, it can be SMS, MSN, whatever. My circle of friends is quite limited, they're good friends. But I can't help but think that I might socially be missing out on things because I limit myself. With these acquintences the conversations always seemed abit shallow and shortwinded, while other people can go on for ages, communicating with others. I guess I am not much of a talker then, but that seems to just be too ******* easy a verdict.

Another simple verdict could also be that people don't contact me because I don't really contact others? Besides my regular friends that is. I can't really expect that people just contact me out of the blue sky for no apparent reason. Yet I don't do that myself. I don't just contact a person to say hi, how are you doing. I need a real reason, an agenda if you will. I don't mind chit chat its fine, I just suck at getting there with people.

I am 21 now, but not much has changed in the social skills department I think. I am still shortwinded with new people. I speak a few sentences with them say hello, how is it going and that sort of commoness. While other people in the group (Biking etc. can be whatever) just babble along, which makes me feel kind of weird, just having nothing to say at all. I've tried reasoning it with logic. It could be "There's no point in saying anything if I don't have anything usefull to contribute with" along those lines. Also I don't like being listened to, in groups where people take me serious, it makes me want to get it overwith fast so I can get on. I don't really have any problems speaking in groups when it is to make a little fun, throw the odd joke. But it really depends.

I could probably live my life in front of the computer if I had some entertainment, but it is not a person I want to be, therefore I also have my different hobbies, I need some kind of passion that I can study a bit, read about, gain knowledge, it feels a bit empty when I don't have that.

Sometimes I feel the things I do can be a bit fake, but I don't know if that is because I have an extraordinary psycological insight of my mind, atleast with my everthinking pondering mind it seems so.

So can thinking of the reasons of ones own actions be limiting?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,194 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sarek

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 03:45 am
@Lasse,
This is all highly recognizable. I have lived most of my life with that very same attitude.
It is both a blessing and a curse to have a mind that works so much different from mainstream society. It is really hard to fit in with the ordinary crowd and I am not even sure you should want to. The price of not being yourself much of the time is far too high for me to pay.

Quote:
"There's no point in saying anything if I don't have anything usefull to contribute with"

That's my line you got there!

I do suspect that people like us are quite common among the population of a forum like this one though. Most of the people I truly relate to I have found in places like this one.

And one last tip, which may be a real long shot: try googling for add inattentive. And see if there is anything there that sounds familiar.
Vasska

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 06:42 am
@sarek,
Recognizable, all to recognizable. Being in the same age range (19) makes it even more relevant to me. It's fun to see you've got the same introverted psychobabble I do when when we are realizing something is wrong, but don't know what it is, or what to do about it. (Please don't feel insulted!)

I think we need to understand that there are all kinds of people. Some more superficial than others. We all see a different world and well; ours is quite harsh. However we also seem to overanalyze our world and strive for perfection (remember; our view of perfection). Yours, like mine, is quite passive. Just a calm life, in which we don't ask to many of ourselves or others and just live a happy life, with, or without a significant other.

However, no such world exists. We might have started believing something like that because we watch lot of movies and there are much people that apparently live that life in the movies.

The demands you've written down are extremes and will never be, also like you said they are extremely limiting yourself from your full potential. On the other hand, they do mark your personality, so negotiate with yourself on what aspects are important for you and you should keep, and which you are to overcome. Also; these are ultimate goals; you are neglecting the roadmap. Ive been setting more concrete long- and short-term goals to reach in order to become a better me that I like more.

Well, on to the hard part; social interactions.

We are, without any arrogance, somewhat more aware of people surrounding us. I think this is manly because our pessimism, false hopes and criticism, and if you're really like me add misanthropy into the mix.

Anyhow, you think you are alone in the world because you've got a small group of friends. But doesn't everyone only has a few good friends, and a lot of acquaintances. They just are more flexible in the fact that they can handle the fact that people come and go.

Sure there ought to be a disclaimer here that some people are indeed extremely shallow and superficial. But enough people are not. Depending on what you want from people you might miss out of things. You might not.

You said you are an introvert, while wishing to be more of an socializer, sure you must understand that is just the good old "the grass is greener on the other side".

Best advice I can give you is to sit down, read your post again, and start thinking about what you really want, no abstract ideas but concrete wishes. Stop looking at how you're life can be, and play a victim of society or yourself, and start working on what you can make of it.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies