epistemological issues in neo-Darwinism v. cretinism

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:46 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133511 wrote:
If there is no cause, no purpose, and no intention, then where does reason stand? Science likes to present itself as 'rational' but with no philosophical absolute, and no deity, there is nothing other than measurement of particulars and the discovery of efficient causes. You can talk all you like about 'being rational' but in such a universe it doesn't mean much. And couldn't.

It all comes down to pattern spotting really, I reckon. I doubt it does mean much really, at the end of the day.

People might want it to mean something - plenty of people clearly do - hence the invention of purposes.
prothero

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 01:42 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;133514 wrote:
It all comes down to pattern spotting really, I reckon. I doubt it does mean much really, at the end of the day.
People might want it to mean something - plenty of people clearly do - hence the invention of purposes.
Yes I think it is a choice and a mental predispostion. The fundamental divide between forms of theism and forms of atheism, with agnostics sitting on the fence.

The world as mostly dead, inert, insensate mechanical deterministic machine with small sparks of mental and conscious epiphenomena
versus
The world as enchanted, perceptive, creative and in some way alive; more like a living organism or society.

I do not see that reason or science or even experience can force a choice between such views. They are both religions of a sort; fundamental metaphysical assumptions or philosophical speculations about the nature of unknowable ultimate reality. Neither one is scientific or provable more like axiomatic assumptions on which worldviews are built.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:35 pm
@odenskrigare,
I reckon it will accepted eventually that evolution simply cannot be explained by 'what molecules do'. There will be found to be deeper principles at work. In a sense it is perfectly natural, but it will rely on a somewhat more vitalist view of nature than that which currently prevails.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:02 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133619 wrote:
I reckon it will accepted eventually that evolution simply cannot be explained by 'what molecules do'.

Strawman. No one says it's "what molecules do".

Clearly some people will never accept that it can be explained through natural phenomena alone (though it already is if you want to learn about it).

Most people in the actual field think there's nothing missing from our understanding of the processes behind evolution, just gaps in the narrative. The narrative itself is outside of our recorded history, but easy enough to conceive of with or without supernatural interference (though I think the burden of proof's squarely in the 'with' camp). No competing narrative exists with the same explanatory power - the gaps in other commonly cited accounts are larger.

However - to assume that it either must or must not be without a supernatural interference is not science. Not without some form of observable evidence.

To get "into the field" one has to look at the academic teaching devoid of either agenda.

I suspect personally that as evidence grows and teaching methods improve (I hope) there will be less need to append extracurricular distractions to a fascinating field of study.

It may go the other way - but whatever way the gestalt go expecting consensus is simply pissing in the wind - it won't happen.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:35 pm
@odenskrigare,
I have just read a rather fascinating book called Why Us? How Science Re-discovered ther Mystery of Ourselves by James le Fanu. It is in no sense a creationist tract - le Fanu is the science columnist for the Observer (among other things). He presents plenty of evidence from science itself that the scientific narrative, as you call it, does not explain the outcome (i.e. H Sapiens) - based on the outcome of the Human Genome Project, among other things. He shows that many scientists in the field of molecular biology feel less confident about the theory underlying evolutionary development now than before the Project was finished. This is because there are a number of huge anomalies in the relationship between genes and physiology. For example, that the sea urchin has a larger number of genes than H Sapiens. That the genomes of H Sapiens and creatures such as mice are largely the same. That 'master genes' can switch on and off functionalities in the genome.

He also claims that the fossil record is indeed full of gaps and unexplained rapid developments. A particularly interesting case is the development of bi-pedalism in early Man. The changes to the reproductive physiology that were required by the upright stance mean that H Sapiens (and their immediate ancestors) have a drastically different pelvic structure to chimps and other great apes. As a result, infant mortality is far higher among man and proto-man than among other primates. Also it means human infants are born so helpless they can't cling to their mother like a chimp baby.

Now as I say, Le Fanu is not creationist, although he is, like me, sympathetic to a kind of panentheist spirituality.

The other book I have been reading on a similar topic is Life's Solution: Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe by Simon Conway Morris. Conway Morris is a professor of palentology at Cambridge and world-renowned expert on the Burgess Shales. His book is very technical; he has developed the idea of the 'protein hyperspace' to illustrate the magnitude of the numbers involved when considering the role of chance in the development of living organisms. His main interest in the extent to which living organisms develop along roughly predictable lines, as opposed to the purely random outcomes which, for example, Stephen J Gould talked of when considering evolutions (e.g. 'if you replayed the tape, the outcome would be completely different'.)

Unlike you, I feel that biology is ripe for a revolution in this area, of the same magnitude that has affected physics since the advent of quantum mechanics. I think many people, yourself included, feel that Darwin is to biology what Newton was to physics, and that the principle of natural selection is kind of a cosmic law which willl satisfactorily explain the emergence of intelligent life wherever it might occur. But if it can be shown that there is any tendency for particular types or forms to emerge during the course of evolutionary development, then of course we have a whole new ball game. If there are indeed underlying archetypes or tendencies in the evolutionary process then while not suggesting 'a designer' of the type so badly conceived by Richard Dawkins, it might nevertheless suggest a certain inevitability in the emergence of beings capable of engaging in arguments such as these.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133644 wrote:
He presents plenty of evidence from science itself that the scientific narrative, as you call it, does not explain the outcome (i.e. H Sapiens) - based on the outcome of the Human Genome Project, among other things.

Well if he thinks Humans "the outcome" I'm going to disagree with him right there. Seeing as there have been more recent organisms since "the outcome" the outcome's not really The outcome.

Quote:
He shows that many scientists in the field of molecular biology feel less confident about the theory underlying evolutionary development now than before the Project was finished. This is because there are a number of huge anomalies in the relationship between genes and physiology. For example, that the sea urchin has a larger number of genes than H Sapiens.

But - again - that's only surprising if you consider us "The Outcome", and therefore consider sea urchins as somehow a stepping stone on the way to us.

Which they are not.

The sea urchin has been evolving for just as long as we have. It might superficially resemble ancient forms more closely, but it's lineage is just as lengthy. There are things it can do that we can't. Can you digest loads of kelp - what's needed for that genetically?

More genes also does not mean more complexity - many of the sea urchin's genes could be relative junk - our geneome could be more efficient as building instructions. Their geneome might be the equivalent of a poorly filed office, and ours a well ordered harddrive.

That's not really a quandry, or evidence of another story - it's just so that some lineages will tidy up their code - it could be an advantage in itself - and others don't need to. Rice has more DNA than humans- whereas puffer fish have 100% junk-free DNA. That's just the sort of extremes that can get thrown up by the process.

If you think it makes us special that we have neat DNA - worship the holy puffer fish.

Quote:
That the genomes of H Sapiens and creatures such as mice are largely the same.
Relative to what? We're more closely related to mice than we are many other kinds of animal, so in relative terms we should expect simularities.

Quote:
That 'master genes' can switch on and off functionalities in the genome.

What in that is antithetical to anything about the theory or devoiding the theory of god?

Quote:
He also claims that the fossil record is indeed full of gaps and unexplained rapid developments.

We're lucky to have it at all - though the gaps are being filled with every dig and most challenging areas of transition have now had placeholder examples produced.

Again - what's he comparing it to - what does he expect to see - an example of every single living thing in history? Not going to happen.

What's his conception of "enough fossils" and why does he demand that degree of fossilness and would he shut up if it were produced?

As for unexplained rapid developments - again what rapid developments is he on about? Is he fully appraised of punctuated equilibrium and if so why doesn't it satisfy him? How fast "should" it go?

Quote:
A particularly interesting case is the development of bi-pedalism in early Man. The changes to the reproductive physiology that were required by the upright stance mean that H Sapiens (and their immediate ancestors) have a drastically different pelvic structure to chimps and other great apes. As a result, infant mortality is far higher among man and proto-man than among other primates. Also it means human infants are born so helpless they can't cling to their mother like a chimp baby.

I refer you to my earlier response to the same point when you raised it in the thread - we're actually possessed of a number of explanations for the development of bipedalism, many of which hinge on the benefits freeing our hands up for increased tool use had. Things like undeveloped babies and difficult births are part of a trade off. There are pros and cons to many an evolutionary step. If the pros outweigh the cons the step was worthwhile - apparently. Would you rather walk on all fours than not spend 3 years as a vulnerable young child?

Having free hands is bigger a pro than difficult births is a con, energy saved by walking is bigger a pro than energy lost through extended nursing.

Quote:
Now as I say, Le Fanu is not creationist, although he is, like me, sympathetic to a kind of panentheist spirituality.
It doesn't sound to me that he has really done a lot of research into the opposing veiw - based on your appraisal. Things like gaps in the fossil record, or bipedalism are thoroughly understood within the boundaries of the general theory.

They aren't a challenge.

Quote:
The other book I have been reading on a similar topic is Life's Solution: Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe by Simon Conway Morris. Conway Morris is a professor of palentology at Cambridge and world-renowned expert on the Burgess Shales. His book is very technical; he has developed the idea of the 'protein hyperspace' to illustrate the magnitude of the numbers involved when considering the role of chance in the development of living organisms. His main interest in the extent to which living organisms develop along roughly predictable lines, as opposed to the purely random outcomes which, for example, Stephen J Gould talked of when considering evolutions (e.g. 'if you replayed the tape, the outcome would be completely different'.)
Two unfalsifiable hypotheses - you can't replay the tape.

I suspect they are both correct. You would not get the same species again - but you could well get the same sort of morphologies, I reckon.

Quote:
Unlike you, I feel that biology is ripe for a revolution in this area, of the same magnitude that has affected physics since the advent of quantum mechanics. I think many people, yourself included, feel that Darwin is to biology what Newton was to physics, and that the principle of natural selection is kind of a cosmic law which willl satisfactorily explain the emergence of intelligent life wherever it might occur.

Not at all.

As it stands evolution as outlined by Darwin can be mostly understood using the broad terms and ideas used by the man himself.

Terminology and detail have changed a lot since - our understanding has improved - but along his general lines of explanation. It has been confirmed by subsequent discoveries in genetics and the fleshing out (not literally) of the fossil record. Objections to it are almost wholly raised by those who don't understand it, or pointing out something it hasn't yet accounted for (but may well do if made a subject of study).

In comparison Newton's ideas have been subjected to two major revisions. His mechanics do not work with very fast objects - hence relativity. Neither do they work with very small objects - hence quantum mechanics.

This isn't to say that Newton wasn't a very great scientist and mathematician. But his "laws" have been proven to be anything but.

He needed to be comprehensively revised in large areas - twice. That's OK - he wasn't to know about things he couldn't perceive - like the speed of light, or quarks.

In fact, it's one of the reasons scientists don't like to use the word 'law' anymore - because they know anything can turn out to have shortcomings.

I suspect life can be created through artificial means, either in a lab or through mechanical AI. That would produce processes outside of Darwinian evolution. It would still be beholden to it once the creators were absent though - I reckon - or it would die. But Darwin is not to Biology what Newton was to Physics - Physics is yet to have its Darwin.

Which is fair enough - Physics is stranger than Biology.

Quote:
But if it can be shown that there is any tendency for particular types or forms to emerge during the course of evolutionary development, then of course we have a whole new ball game. If there are indeed underlying archetypes or tendencies in the evolutionary process then while not suggesting 'a designer' of the type so badly conceived by Richard Dawkins, it might nevertheless suggest a certain inevitability in the emergence of beings capable of engaging in arguments such as these.

Or the incidental patterns at work could be of benefit to certain forms arising by natural selection without design. The sorting mechanism produces certain things over and over again, and seeing as sapience is a clear advantage it might just apply there too.

Not that anyone alive now would ever find out, of course.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:28 pm
@odenskrigare,
No, 'the outcome' was my insertion, not his.

My basic philosophical attitude is very close to theistic evolution. I believe that evolution is undoubtedly true in its broad outlines. But I don't conclude from that, that therefore, the universe is devoid of a higher intelligence. The whole of evolutionary history can be seen as the working out of deep principles that are embedded in the fabric of the cosmos. It is not a creationist view, and I wouldn't support creationism. What bothers me is the conclusions that are drawn on the basis that creationism is false. But thanks for your reply, very well thought out and food for thought.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 11:33 AM ----------

that said, I will always maintain that Homo Sapiens is unique amongst creatures, and that our nature is not simply the outcome of adaptive necessity. But I will be content to suggest it, not to prosecute the argument.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:38 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133671 wrote:
The whole of evolutionary history can be seen as the working out of deep principles that are embedded in the fabric of the cosmos.
Apply enough imagination and it can be seen as confiming scientology, or norse myth, or whatever you want.

That's why it's not best utilised as what 'can be' imagined - but the result of what is observed about the natural world.

Quote:
It is not a creationist view, and I wouldn't support creationism.

But you will cite creationists argument - like gaps in the fossil record being "a problem". Now this might not be first hand, or even second hand - but it is a canard popularised by creationist science. it relies on people not knowing the facts - thinking that the argument addresses the facts - and passing it on.

Same about sudden leaps in the evolutionary narrative or compromises arising from bipedalism. They are interesting subjects of inquiry - but they aren't challenges. Exactly what could it be about them that would lead to falsification of the theory?

Quote:
What bothers me is the conclusions that are drawn on the basis that creationism is false.

I don't see that any universal conclusions are drawn from it other than the conclusion that creationists perpetuate lies.

---------- Post added 02-28-2010 at 07:41 PM ----------

jeeprs;133671 wrote:
that said, I will always maintain that Homo Sapiens is unique amongst creatures, and that our nature is not simply the outcome of adaptive necessity. But I will be content to suggest it, not to prosecute the argument.

Can you name one species that isn't unique amongst species?

If not - do you reckon there is more seperating humans from chimps than there is seperating chimps from flatworms and what do you base that on?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@odenskrigare,
As a child I grew up on Time Life books on evolution and have never believed that the Genesis account was anything other than a religious myth. However I no longer accept that evolution has been completely explained by the current theory of it.

Isn't it the case that anyone who is persuaded by the scientific account, despite all the numerous anomalies gaps and shortfalls, will tend to characterise any dissenter as 'a creationist' on the basis that creationist beliefs are demonstrably absurd? It is very similar to the demonization of dissenting views which was characteristic of Luther and Calvin. There is an interesting analysis of 'the Protestant Atheism of Richard Dawkins' which shows just how similar his attitude is to the Protestant worldveiw, wherein the Theory of Natural Selection has been elevated to the position of holy writ, and anyone who suggests that it is deficient is the equivalent of a sinner in the calvinist view, doomed to eternal perdition. The way this thread started off certainly suggests that attitude.

Certainly, some of the philosophical arguments about the nature of the origins of life have influenced me. I am not particularly impressed by Michael Behe, or William Dembski, or, generally speaking, by the Discovery Institute in particular. But I will consider such arguments. I don't think a priori that they must all be false. The idea of a higher intelligence or a fundamental level of causality is not at all the same as believing that the scriptural account of creation is literally true. As I said to start off with, a fairly non-specific acceptance of the existence of God or gods was basic to the origin of Western philosophy, as well as semitic religion. When you simply declare it obsolete, mainly on the basis that you don't like religion, there is a fair amount of intellectual superstructure that goes with it.

There is a whole new type of argument from design. One is the cosmological anthropic principle. That was devised by phycisists, not funadamentalists. The other is the DNA as a code, which was developed by computer systems engineers and information systems theorists. These are not even religious, let alone fundamentalist, but they severly undermine one of the principle assumptions of Charles Darwin's Origin of Species, namely, the nature and the role of chance in evolutionary development.

But at the end of the day I am a pluralist. I think there is a scientific accounts, various religious accounts, and a number of different ways of conceiving the question. I don't think that Darwin's is the last word or the only one.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:13 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133683 wrote:
Isn't it the case that anyone who is persuaded by the scientific account, despite all the numerous anomalies gaps and shortfalls, will tend to characterise any dissenter as 'a creationist' on the basis that creationist beliefs are demonstrably absurd?

Again - are we talking about creation science - which has never been anything other than completely absurd - or the belief in a creator - which is a matter of personal taste and it's absurdity varies from person to person?

The latter impossible to sum up - and encompasses a realm of imagination important - if nothing else - for entertainment purposes.

The former is easy to sum up - and is absurd.
Quote:
It is very similar to the demonization of dissenting views which was characteristic of Luther and Calvin. There is an interesting analysis of 'the Protestant Atheism of Richard Dawkins' which shows just how similar his attitude is to the Protestant worldveiw, wherein the Theory of Natural Selection has been elevated to the position of holy writ, and anyone who suggests that it is deficient is the equivalent of a sinner in the calvinist view, doomed to eternal perdition. The way this thread started off certainly suggests that attitude.

Can you provide one quote from either Dawkins or the OP suggesting those who provide challenges for evolution are doomed to perdition?

I will jump to the assumption that you cannot - this might seem arrogant of me - but I'm pretty confident.

It's another strawman argument. Dawkins and the OP (neither of whom are the gestalt of those who broadly accept evolution, by the way) might express frustration at what they perceive to be people's ignorance. They could be more diplomatic about it.

But there's a wrold of difference between saying "I think it's idiotic to talk about something you clearly don't know about" and damning people to Hell.

Quote:
Certainly, some of the philosophical arguments about the nature of the origins of life have influenced me. I am not particularly impressed by Michael Behe, or William Dembski, or, generally speaking, by the Discovery Institute in particular. But I will consider such arguments. I don't think a priori that they must all be false.

Elsewhere I've seen the challenge levelled to provide a single argument proposed by the DI in favour of ID (or creationism) over evolution that has not been some sort of lie.

It's a challenge I've yet to see anyone accept.

Quote:
The idea of a higher intelligence or a fundamental level of causality is not at all the same as believing that the scriptural account of creation is literally true. As I said to start off with, a fairly non-specific acceptance of the existence of God or gods was basic to the origin of Western philosophy, as well as semitic religion. When you simply declare it obsolete, mainly on the basis that you don't like religion, there is a fair amount of intellectual superstructure that goes with it.

Well, this is another strawman really - you don't have to declare something obsolete in order to understand that it's irrelevent to a scientific debate unless evidence can be provided for it.

Supernatural actors on or in the universe? Dunno. Jury's still out.

Quote:
There is a whole new type of argument from design. One is the cosmological anthropic principle. That was devised by phycisists, not funadamentalists.

But some say that you could just as easily append natural selection to multiverse theory and end up at the anthropic principle (itself a much shakier hypothesis than many others).

Quote:
The other is the DNA as a code, which was developed by computer systems engineers and information systems theorists. These are not even religious, let alone fundamentalist, but they severly undermine one of the principle assumptions of Charles Darwin's Origin of Species, namely, the nature and the role of chance in evolutionary development.

Only if you think chance cannot produce code. Itself a dogmatic presumption.

Quote:
But at the end of the day I am a pluralist. I think there is a scientific accounts, various religious accounts, and a number of different ways of conceiving the question. I don't think that Darwin's is the last word or the only one.

Nobody thinks Darwin had the last word, or the only one. A lot has been discovered since. But no such discoveries have altered the foundations of his theory - certainly not the apparent challenges you have outlined here.

You continually ignore questions I put to you - which I find really rude.

If not - do you reckon there is more seperating humans from chimps than there is seperating chimps from flatworms and what do you base that on?
jeeprs

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:15 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;133675 wrote:
Exactly what could it be about them that would lead to falsification of the theory?

The Burgess Shales were regarded by Darwin as presenting difficulties for his theory, insofar as an enormous diversity of forms appeared very rapidly, in geological terms, for which there were no obvious precedent. They are still the source of some controversy. The part of the theory that it threatens is the idea of changes arising over very long periods by the gradual accretion of changes. It is very hard to see how all these different and unique forms would appear in very short order by such a process. (I am not suggesting that 'a designer' did anything, incidentally.)

Dave Allen;133675 wrote:

Every species is unique - that is why they are called 'species'. H Sapiens is nevertheless easily distinguishable from all other species, on many grounds. I ought not to have to name them, but it would include, for example, symbolic language, mathematics, self-consciousness, use of technology, building of artificial environments. H Sapiens is not only unique as a species, but as a phenomenon. Nothing else on earth is even remotely close to H Sapiens, in terms of capabilities and faculties. I am puzzled by why this does not appear self-evident.

Dave Allen;133985 wrote:
Again - are we talking about creation science - which has never been anything other than completely absurd - or the belief in a creator - which is a matter of personal taste and it's absurdity varies from person to person?

I am not talking about creation science. As I have said, you equate anything religious, or even spiritual, with creation science, and then vilify it. This is called 'demonisation'. It is a leaf from the evangelical's book. The whole of Western culture was based on various religious, mythological and philosophical ideas. Certainly they must be re-interpreted in light of what we now know. It doesn't mean they must, or can, just be swept away. What should they be replaced with, do you think? The origins of Western culture, literature, religion and philosophy are not creationism, nor a personal predilection. There is a widespread 'crisis of meaninglessness' in the world today which no amount of scientific progress or economic prosperity seems to be able to address. This is a spiritual problem and it requires a spiritual solution.

Dave Allen;133985 wrote:
Can you provide one quote from either Dawkins or the OP suggesting those who provide challenges for evolution are doomed to perdition?

Alright then, I was speaking figuratively, of course. Dawkins doesn't believe in perdition. What he says all the time is that if someone believes anything religious whatever, he or she must be mistaken or deluded. That is why he called his book 'The God Delusion'. He is notoriously intolerant of anyone or anything whom he regards as religious. (Personally, I think the reason he is so uptight about it is because it is something he sees in himself. He has a complex about it of some kind. But I won't put forward a serious argument about that.)

Dave Allen;133985 wrote:
Well, this is another strawman really - you don't have to declare something obsolete in order to understand that it's irrelevent to a scientific debate unless evidence can be provided for it.

Supernatural actors on or in the universe?

It is quite true that one ought not to consider factors outside the scope of science, when dealing with a scientific question. But I refuse to acknowledge that the nature of the human being is purely a scientific question. It is not just a scientific debate. So if you say 'this is a scientific issue, and anyone who challenges it on religious grounds is creationist', you don't sound scientific to me. You just sound prejudiced against anything religious. As I have said, I am a pluralist. I will listen to many viewpoints, but an wary of those who claim a monopoly.

Dave Allen;133985 wrote:
Only if you think chance cannot produce code. Itself a dogmatic presumption.

Well, regrettably not. There is no chance whatever of code being produced by chance, according to Hubert P Yockey, who wrote a book on the subject, called Information Theory, Evolution, and the Origin of Life:

Quote:
Yockey is not a creationist, nor a religious writer. However a religious derivation of this theory was debated on the Freethinkers and Rationalists forum for five years, and I really don't think it was defeated. It is a very difficult argument to overcome on logical grounds. And 'it just happened' is not a logical argument. That is what I find impossible to accept about your position, or anyone else who holds it.

Dave Allen;133985 wrote:
Nobody thinks Darwin had the last word, or the only one. A lot has been discovered since. But no such discoveries have altered the foundations of his theory - certainly not the apparent challenges you have outlined here.

I can't summarize the contents of the two books I quoted Why Us? Science Rediscovers the Mystery of Ourselves by James le Fanu, and Life's Solution, by Simon Conway Morris. But I can assure you that they raise very many serious questions about a very specific aspect of the Darwinian theory, and that is, the nature and role of chance in the evolution of species. Neither are creationist and both books are based on science.

Dave Allen;133985 wrote:
You continually ignore questions I put to you - which I find really rude.

I hope I have addressed this concern.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:56 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133996 wrote:
The Burgess Shales were regarded by Darwin as presenting difficulties for his theory, insofar as an enormous diversity of forms appeared very rapidly, in geological terms, for which there were no obvious precedent.

Darwin died in 1882.

The Burgess shale was discovered in 1909.

Can you explain how Darwin regarded the shale as a challenge seeing as he was dead?
Quote:
They are still the source of some controversy.

Not within the field.

I think you're talking about the Cambrian explosion.

When the Cambrian explosion was first encounterd in the geological column the length of the Cambrian was thought much shorter - hence some scientists at the time remarked on the apparent sudden appearance of animal forms.

A question I asked you earler was "how fast *should* evolution go?"

We see history's most obvious example of punctuated equilibrium in the cambrian.

Why?

The most likely answer is a paradigm shift - that of multicellularity.

We've seen in the lab with single celled algea that if you introduce a mulitcellular predator, or a large celled predator such as an ameoba, they soon evolve the defence of multicellularity - it can't eat you if it can't engulf you.

This is thought to have led to an arms race which drove the Cambrian explosion.

Quote:

The part of the theory that it threatens is the idea of changes arising over very long periods by the gradual accretion of changes. It is very hard to see how all these different and unique forms would appear in very short order by such a process. (I am not suggesting that 'a designer' did anything, incidentally.)

The Cambrian was 62 million years long.

That isn't my idea of a short period of time.

It's amongst the longest of the phranezoic geological eras.

Given the paradigm shift of multicellularity I think it's easy to see why many phyla gave rise at once - if you veiw the tree of life as a literal tree it's just the point we see some major branches leave the trunk.

Again - how fast *should* it go?

Should the branches leave the trunk elsewhere?

Why?
Quote:
Every species is unique - that is why they are called 'species'. H Sapiens is nevertheless easily distinguishable from all other species, on many grounds. I ought not to have to name them, but it would include, for example, symbolic language, mathematics, self-consciousness, use of technology, building of artificial environments.
We aren't the only animals that do such things. We might be the best - but they aren't unique to us.

It also raises the disturbing idea that humans who can't use language or maths are no longer human.

Is that a veiw you propose we take?

It's not a veiw I like, myself. A human who can't do maths is still human. If we respected humans who didn't use tools much as human we might not have killed all those Tasmanian aboriginals.
Quote:
H Sapiens is not only unique as a species, but as a phenomenon. Nothing else on earth is even remotely close to H Sapiens, in terms of capabilities and faculties. I am puzzled by why this does not appear self-evident.

It's not self evident because I have seen documentaries on bonobos, and I know of humans who can't use language or maths who I think are still human.

Quote:
I am not talking about creation science. As I have said, you equate anything religious, or even spiritual, with creation science, and then vilify it.

Not at all - you're resorting to strawman arguements again.

I have simply asked that science be left undistracted from unfalsiable claims without supporting evidence.

Quote:
The whole of Western culture was based on various religious, mythological and philosophical ideas.

There are many influences on western culture that aren't religious in origin, or development. Science paramount among them.
Quote:
Certainly they must be re-interpreted in light of what we now know. It doesn't mean they must, or can, just be swept away. What should they be replaced with, do you think?

Do me a favour and drop the strawman characterisations of my position will you?

Science should be left alone from religious agendas.

They don't work in this field.

Out of this field they have their applications - I have not suggested they be "swept away" or "replaced" with anything. I even praised their entertainment applications. They are great stories.

Quote:
The origins of Western culture, literature, religion and philosophy are not creationism, nor a personal predilection. There is a widespread 'crisis of meaninglessness' in the world today which no amount of scientific progress or economic prosperity seems to be able to address. This is a spiritual problem and it requires a spiritual solution.

There have always been nihilists - but the biggest turn off cited by previously religious people as to why they abandoned their faith - statistically speaking - is not science, but the apparent hypocrisy of the religious.

I'd also suggest that if you put all the human misery caused by niilists on one side of a set of scales, and all the human misery cause by those "acting with a purpose" on the other - it would be rather exonerating for the nihilists.
Quote:
Alright then, I was speaking figuratively, of course. Dawkins doesn't believe in perdition. What he says all the time is that if someone believes anything religious whatever, he or she must be mistaken or deluded. That is why he called his book 'The God Delusion'. He is notoriously intolerant of anyone or anything whom he regards as religious.

Seems tolerant enough here:
YouTube - Richard Dawkins interviews the Bishop of Oxford-Uncut (1/4)
And here:
YouTube - Father George Coyne Interview (1/7) - Richard Dawkins
Quote:
(Personally, I think the reason he is so uptight about it is because it is something he sees in himself. He has a complex about it of some kind. But I won't put forward a serious argument about that.)

So? He's a celebrity atheist - that's his bag. Leave him to it if it upsets you.

Quote:
It is quite true that one ought not to consider factors outside the scope of science, when dealing with a scientific question. But I refuse to acknowledge that the nature of the human being is purely a scientific question. It is not just a scientific debate. So if you say 'this is a scientific issue, and anyone who challenges it on religious grounds is creationist', you don't sound scientific to me. You just sound prejudiced against anything religious. As I have said, I am a pluralist. I will listen to many viewpoints, but an wary of those who claim a monopoly.

I do think religion is nonsense, and that creationists spread lies.

However, I didn't get into this debate because I wanted to evangelicise my religious point of view - which I conceded was a matter of taste anyway - but to address the topic of the OP - the differences in epistemology in two positions. One of which is scientific and the other lying to support a belief.

Quote:
Well, regrettably not. There is no chance whatever of code being produced by chance,
Depends on the selective criteria. Patterns can be brought about by chance, and incidental things can act on those patterns.

Quote:
Yockey is not a creationist, nor a religious writer. However a religious derivation of this theory was debated on the Freethinkers and Rationalists forum for five years, and I really don't think it was defeated.

What are it's criteria for falsification?

Quote:
I hope I have addressed this concern.

Yes that's better - now stop constructing strawmen and I'll feel we are honestly sharing ideas.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:55 pm
@odenskrigare,
Yes, the Cambrian explosion. And yes, I think it is clear where we differ. Thanks.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:23 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;134004 wrote:
I do think religion is nonsense

This is clear. I am sympathetic to some extent. I think for many people religion conjures images of stuffy old men who are sanctimonious authoritarians, droning meaningless words from mythical texts, and so on. If I thought it was that, I would feel the same way. But it is not what it means for me, any more.

Bottom line is, I believe the universe is intentional and we are here for a reason. If that makes me a creationist, so be it.
north

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:59 pm
@jeeprs,
look Darwinism is not only in Humans progress to where we are now but also in bacteria and paracites

HIV for one
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 11:31 pm
@odenskrigare,
I have found an interesting essay by Thomas Nagel, who is Professor of Philosophy at New York University. This philosopher is a professed secular humanist and a non-theist, i.e. does not believe in God (he has written on this topic also).

He makes some interesting points about the scientific attitude to Intelligent Design in an essay on Public Education and Intelligent Design:

Quote:
...although science can demonstrate the falsehood of the design hypothesis, no evidence against that demonstration can be regarded as scientific support for the hypothesis. Only the falsehood, and not the truth, of ID can count as a scientific claim. Something about the nature of the conclusion, that it involves the purposes of a supernatural being, rules it out as science.

The problem cannot be just that the idea of a designer is too vague, and that nothing is being said about how he works. When Darwin proposed the theory of natural selection, neither he nor anyone else had any idea of how heredity worked, or what could cause a mutation that was observable in the phenotype and was heritable. The proposal was simply that something purposeless was going on that had these effects, permitting natural selection to operate. This is no less vague than the hypothesis that the mutations available for selection are influenced by the actions of a designer. So it must be the element of purpose that is the real offender.

I believe there is a reason for this, and that it depends on a premise that, though completely valid, does not have the consequences that are usually drawn from it. The premise is that the purposes and actions of God, if there is a god, are not themselves, and could not possibly be, the object of a scientific theory in the way that the mechanisms of heredity have become the object of a scientific theory since Darwin. We do not have much scientific understanding of the creative process even when the creator is human; perhaps such creativity too is beyond the reach of science. Leaving that aside: the idea of a divine creator or designer is clearly the idea of a being whose acts and decisions are not explainable by natural law.
(Emphases added.)

This clarifies a lot of points about this debate. I have no allegiance with 'fundamentalist creationism' or even 'Intelligent Design' in the way that evangelical Christians understand the concept. Yet if even any hint of the idea of purpose, reason or design in nature is suggested, the scientific side of the debate (or some of them anyway) will immediately say 'see, you're a Creationist' or 'this is just another ID smokescreen.' And I think this is why.

Darwin himself had to focus on 'natural causes', as distinct from 'special creation', and natural causes really have to be discerned on the basis of a principle that can be empirically demonstrated, at least in principle, with reference to the biological evidence. Whereas any consideration, not even of anything so naive as 'special creation', but of any kind of 'underlying intelligence' in the sense that was always traditionally understood, and even arguably underlies the concept of 'scientific law' itself, must be rejected on the same basis as creationism.

So it is a fairly blunt instrument, this Darwinian Rationalism. What you have is a single principle, namely, adaptive necessity combined with random mutation, and whatever evidence comes along simply needs to be explained in terms of those co-efficients. When it comes to apparently counter-intuitive adapations, such as altruism, various flaming hoops must be leapt through to preserve the sanctity of the simple principle by which everything must be explained.

Now myself, personally, have no particular allegiance with the Genesis story. There are very many 'creation stories' in the world's religions, ranging from simple tribal narratives to the grand spectacles of Indian cosmology, which are truly cosmic in scope. But whatever symbolic value is found in any of them, if it can't be plotted on the X/Y axis of Darwinian chance and necessity, then it must be rejected at the outset - because it's not scientific.

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 06:19 PM ----------

There is another implication to all this. The scientific explanation must exclude the consideration of intent, purpose, reason, on a larger scale, for the reasons discussed above. That is why the debate has become much larger than simply a scientific theory vs a biblical myth. At issue is the nature of the human and the origin and purpose of human life. The biological account can only, by its own admission, deal with biological phenomena. The implication is, then, that if the scientific explanation is the only true explanation, then the human is only ever a biological phenomenon.

This is why the debate breaks its banks over and over again. It is not simply a matter of saying that Darwin showed that the Genesis myth is not literally true. I am sure the vast majority of people never believed that it was. It is because by declaring human nature a biological phenomenon, and subject only to scientific explanation, this is more or less a universal acid for all traditional value systems and philosophies, (as Daniel Dennett identified in Darwin's Dangerous Idea).

But then, you have to seriously consider that it is one thing to say that the Theory of Evolution shows that the Bible is not literally true. It is another thing to say that biological science shows that life evolved with no 'greater purpose'. Yet this is the claim that is being made. This is where scientific reason becomes secular fundamentalism - because if you subject Darwin's theory to a rigourous philosophical analysis, it can be shown that the principles around which it is built are simply insufficient to account for the diverse characteristics and abilities of the human species. And this is nothing to do with 'fundamentalist religion'. This is simply a matter of science becoming poor philosophy, for ideological reasons.

References: Darwinian Fairytales: David Stove
From Aristotle to Darwin and Back Again: Etienne Gilson.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 04:02 am
@jeeprs,
Quote:
Something about the nature of the conclusion, that it involves the purposes of a supernatural being, rules it out as science.

It seems that even a professor of philosophy could use a science lesson or two.

It is true that the Intelligent design argument has something in its conclusion that rules it out as science - but that something is not the involvement of the purposes of a supernatural being.

It is because the conclusion is not based on any demonstrable evidence.

So his whole point is based on a major misconception. It isn't ID's advocacy of diety that necessarily precludes them from being taken seriously by the scientific community - its their lack of evidence and their habit of misrepresenting evidence for things like irreducible complexity.

Perhaps Thomas Nagel is impressed by ID because he is a Philosophy Professor, and all a good philosophical argument has to do is make you think, really, and the ID crowd can do that well.

But a good scientific argument also makes you think - but provides some measure of proof as to why it argues the way it does.

Thats why the ID crowd don't do science.
Quote:
The proposal was simply that something purposeless was going on that had these effects, permitting natural selection to operate. This is no less vague than the hypothesis that the mutations available for selection are influenced by the actions of a designer. So it must be the element of purpose that is the real offender.
The theory is agnostic as to purpose - Darwin himself wasn't an atheist, so to he say his theory is based on the idea of something purposeless going on is another misconception. Whether there's a sort of first cause, or guiding supernatural hand all the way or nothing there at all that wouldn't change our observations of evolution.

The reason atheists like to cite evolution isn't that it is explicitly purposeless, but because it ins't necessarily purposeful. Its neither/nor, as far as we can tell.
Quote:
We do not have much scientific understanding of the creative process even when the creator is human; perhaps such creativity too is beyond the reach of science.
Again, it's pretty much basic fundamentals of science that anything's up for enquiry provided you show and explain your evidence. We don't have much scientific understanding of the "creative process" because to assume there was a creative process isn't a leap science will take devoid of a way of observing such a thing.
jeeprs;137411 wrote:

This clarifies a lot of points about this debate. I have no allegiance with 'fundamentalist creationism' or even 'Intelligent Design' in the way that evangelical Christians understand the concept. Yet if even any hint of the idea of purpose, reason or design in nature is suggested, the scientific side of the debate (or some of them anyway) will immediately say 'see, you're a Creationist' or 'this is just another ID smokescreen.' And I think this is why.
Some of them may, some of them are just as likely to agree with you because most scientists are some kind of theist statistically speaking. The gestalt probably won't dismiss is as a scientific sort of enquiry, but they'll likely say "why do you think that"? And if you persist in calling it a scientific enquiry without evidence they'll likely feel you're wasting their time.

Quote:
Darwin himself had to focus on 'natural causes', as distinct from 'special creation', and natural causes really have to be discerned on the basis of a principle that can be empirically demonstrated, at least in principle, with reference to the biological evidence.
Yes, he was a scientist doing science, and therefore had to base his conclusions on his observations of what we can perceive as to reality.

Quote:
Whereas any consideration, not even of anything so naive as 'special creation', but of any kind of 'underlying intelligence' in the sense that was always traditionally understood, and even arguably underlies the concept of 'scientific law' itself, must be rejected on the same basis as creationism.
Yes, because neither ID nor creationism have been able to show any empirical evidence for their claims, and have a terrible track record regarding misrepresenting what evidence they have claimed to provide.

Quote:
When it comes to apparently counter-intuitive adapations, such as altruism, various flaming hoops must be leapt through to preserve the sanctity of the simple principle by which everything must be explained.
There's absolutely nothing counter-intuitive about alturism. Some animals (and other organisms too but let's stick with animals) operate in niches were cooperation between members benefits the gestalt. A modicum of self-sacrifice within such species is therefore a survival benefit.

* You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours - if you don't scratch my back I won't scratch yours - and you probably feel the same way - so it's better to both scratch eaxch others backs.
* If I groom you parasites that might otherwise reach epidemic proportions are kept under control (and I can eat them too).

Such things are not "leaping through hoops of fire" - they are fairly easy to understand. They take on sophisticated interelated complexity in human societies, but anyone who has studied the interplay between genetics and game theory can explain why that is (I've seen some good docs on the subject - check out "The Trap" by Adam Curtis).

Quote:
But whatever symbolic value is found in any of them, if it can't be plotted on the X/Y axis of Darwinian chance and necessity, then it must be rejected at the outset - because it's not scientific.
It's to be rejected by science for not being scientific. Whatever people get out of them that's fine - but they aren't matters of scientific inquiry unless they provide evidence to be observed.

Quote:
It is because by declaring human nature a biological phenomenon, and subject only to scientific explanation, this is more or less a universal acid for all traditional value systems and philosophies, (as Daniel Dennett identified in Darwin's Dangerous Idea).
But not everyone who thinks Darwin was more or less right agrees with Dennett.

Quote:
But then, you have to seriously consider that it is one thing to say that the Theory of Evolution shows that the Bible is not literally true. It is another thing to say that biological science shows that life evolved with no 'greater purpose'. Yet this is the claim that is being made.
No it is not "THE" claim that is being made.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 05:07 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;137452 wrote:
It is because the conclusion is not based on any demonstrable evidence.

But what would that consist of? If there were, for example, some principles other than adaptive necessity acting on the basis of chance variations, how would it show up? What would the evidence be that the processes that give rise to living beings tend towards certain kinds of outcomes as opposed to others? I can't really see how you can test for it. We don't have other biospheres to compare ours with.

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 10:08 PM ----------

And I should'nt have said 'this is the claim that is being made'. It is more an implication than a claim (and I suppose a defensible one at that to be fair).
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:16 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;137455 wrote:
But what would that consist of? If there were, for example, some principles other than adaptive necessity acting on the basis of chance variations, how would it show up? What would the evidence be that the processes that give rise to living beings tend towards certain kinds of outcomes as opposed to others? I can't really see how you can test for it.

Neither do I - which is why I don't insist that it should be a matter for scientific inquiry. In fact I'd rather say it's a matter strictly divorced from scientific inquiry until someone proposes a methodology by which to test it. If they do produce such methodology, they've got to accept that other people are going to try and poke holes in it as they do with all things presented as scientific ideas - and if those holes are easily poked it's going to end up in the bin.

Another reason why religion and science don't get along - religion (established religion at least) is used to respect or even reverence from those it deals with on a daily basis - science is used to critique and suggestions for improvement, if not outright rubbishing, from advocates and professional friends and/or rivals.

It pretty much never happens that someone from the ID/Creation Science arena provides an idea that's openly presented as something to be scrutinised through the scientific method - they don't do peer review. The reason they'll state that they don't do peer review is bias - but that's not true. The reason is they know full well they aren't presenting arguments that stand up to scrutiny.

As you said in your previous post there are many different creation accounts - if science could verify one most people's ideas would be demonstrably false in the eyes of science. We'd end up with people still believing in a preffered myth as a matter of faith - but many others would flock to the account able to wear the credibility of science alongside it's stories.

Hence the schitzophrenia of creation science, which tells us not to trust mainstream science, but also claims that there is scientific evidence for its particular veiw - usually that of biblical literalist protestantism, though muslim and some hindu creation scientists also exist.

That's not the doctrine of other religions. The last two popes have claimed evolution to be the best explanation for the diversity of life there is, and the Dalai Lama has said that if an article of buddhist doctrine conflicts with science he would think about altering the doctrine (though for all I know he interprets science and doctrine differently to me).
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:27 pm
@odenskrigare,
Creationism is not the same issue in Buddhism, or Indian religions generally, because the idea of 'the fall' is not central to their 'religious narrative'. Hindu cosmology contains ideas such as the periodic expansion and contraction of the universe over vast periods of time ('eons of kalpas'). Some of the esoteric Buddhist traditions maintain that the Buddhist teaching has been transmitted in numerous other planetary systems.

It is a long way from Ken Ham. But I still feel sympathy for creationism, even if they are factually incorrect. It meets a human need.

At the end of the day, if you accept that the religious narratives are not attempting to provide a factual account of origins but an allegorical account of the human condition it is not that hard to have a pluralist view of the entire matter.

For the record, my belief is that nature has a tendency for self-actualization, that is, to assume a conscious form in which it can become aware of its own nature. It is a religious view, in the broad sense, but also compatible with evolutionary outlook.