Reading list?

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 12:29 pm
I'm heading back to the library soon and would like to start reading theories and thoughts on consciousness. I'm also interested specifically in "altered states." I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phronimos

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 12:47 pm
@patchouli phil,
It's some very tough, involving reading, but David Chalmer's anthology Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings is a great place to start and a good survey relevant readings from different schools of thought.
Kielicious

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 02:48 am
@Phronimos,
For Dualism I would suggest Chalmers The Conscious Mind

For Functionalism Dennet Consciousness Explained

For Mysterianism McGinn The Mysterious Flame

For Neuroscience Koch The Quest for Consciousness

For a bunch of different views in one easy to read book Blackmores Conversations on Consciousness

And for Quantum Theories (which I tend to stay away from) I guess Hammeroff idk...
patchouli phil

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:43 am
@Kielicious,
Great! Thank you both.
Parapraxis

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 11:47 am
@patchouli phil,
Susan Blackmore does some succint, if slightly tedious, introductions to consciousness including:
Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction
Conversations on Consciousness
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:52 pm
@patchouli phil,
Since you are interested in altered states, I recommend Maslow's short book, Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences. Its easy to understand and can be read in a couple of hours, but talks about the intrinsic value of altered states of consciousness.
0 Replies

patchouli phil

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 01:12 pm
@patchouli phil,
Thank you! I'm excited to start reading. Smile
0 Replies

RDanneskjld

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 01:38 pm
@patchouli phil,
The one of the best book's to read if your interested in consciousness, in my view would be John R. Searle's The Mystery of Consciousness. Its concise and well written and would reccomend it.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 01:37 am
@patchouli phil,
My illness manic depression has resulted in some really really way out altered states of consciousness.

I went beyond thinking I might be God to knowing I was God

Of course sadly when I came back to myself, I realised I was just little old Alan
jeeprs

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 03:53 pm
@patchouli phil,
"Altered states of consciousness; a book of readings". Charles T. Tart, editor. From the viewpoint of transpersonal psychology
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 05:13 pm
@jeeprs,
Aldus Huxley's classics Heaven and Hell and The Doors of Perception are worth the read.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:50 pm
@jeeprs,
This isn't quite the topic your looking for, but I'd reccomend a book caled Mind and Philosophers, by John Lachs. Its bascially a critique (favorable) of various brands of epiphenomenalism. I just came across it in the university library and couldn't put it down, especially the chapters on the 'impotence hypothesis,' the assertion that no conscious events are casual of anything. Noetzsche makes a similiar claim in The Will to Power, in the 'criticism of science' book. If you rationally extrapolate that assumption to other problems, most of the apparent paradoxes of mind/body dissapear.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 01:21 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
My illness manic depression has resulted in some really really way out altered states of consciousness.

I went beyond thinking I might be God to knowing I was God

Of course sadly when I came back to myself, I realised I was just little old Alan

I would remove this post if I could, it is off topic, sorry guys!! I will not repeat this type of mistake again

Peace Alan
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 02:44 am
@patchouli phil,
hey don't worry about it. Don't feel bad about it.
0 Replies

patchouli phil

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 06:34 pm
@patchouli phil,
I've found my way back to this place. Thank you all for your suggestions; they are greatly appreciated!
0 Replies