Evolution without Creation

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:44 am
This might be the worst post ever but I really find it at least sensible.
Just a simple Very simple thought.

Can evolution create out of crude matter, let's say, an IPOD?
We know that it is, highly improbable to happen.
Then how can matter come to existence and form itself to eventually have a thought?

"Ipod" and "thought as such".

Is it logical to assume that thought is just a result of an aggregate of accidents?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,634 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:26 am
@Patty phil,
Patty, evolution DID create the iPod.

Everything living, including its ancestry, came into being as a result of far simpler processes. Humans and bacteria and biological macromolecules didn't just appear out of thin air.

Think of the iPod as the result of a highly unlikely chemical reaction - that becomes much more likely when catalyzed by us.
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:42 am
@Patty phil,
Patty:)

Aedes summed it up nicely but however it might help to expand upon what he has said. All organisms in the here and now have the same length of evolutionary history and when you think of technology, culture and industry in general, it can all be considered extensions of human biology. Google Dawkins books, There is something about, climbing mount improbable in his book "The Selfish Gene," or Talk Origins is a wonderful source for answers to your questions about evolution vs creationism/ID.
Bones-O

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:12 pm
@Patty phil,
Both responses I endorse. Taking the question more at face value though, the answer is clearly 'No'. An iPod has no self-assembling, self-replicating constituents. An LCD cannot spontaneously form out of crude matter.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:15 pm
@Patty phil,
The original question leaves out the fact that evolution has specific mechanisms and substrates. It doesn't just happen.
xris

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:22 pm
@Aedes,
BUT life is not replicated by evolution, we dont even know what life is..Life can not be recreated so for me the juries still out..
Bones-O

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
BUT life is not replicated by evolution, we dont even know what life is..Life can not be recreated so for me the juries still out..

Hence I said components. Self-replication underlies reproduction, growth and metabolism, i.e. life. Of course, many species do reproduce via self-replication.
boagie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:26 pm
@Bones-O,
As Meister Eckhart might say, creationism is an on going process, of course the church put a contract out on him for saying that, but unfortunately he died before they could murder him-- I thought a light note was in order!

Meister Eckhart (1260-1328); " BREAKTHROUGH" Meister Eckhart
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:39 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Hence I said components. Self-replication underlies reproduction, growth and metabolism, i.e. life. Of course, many species do reproduce via self-replication.
Reproducing is not creating life.Life began in that primeval soup never to be reproduced and for all mans efforts never replicated.What is life? no definition is forthcoming.
Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:34 pm
@Patty phil,
Viruses are probably a second instance of life arising. They are more primitive than the simplest bacteria, and probably evolved as subcellular parasites from the very start.

Some, especially herpesviruses (and in particular EBV and CMV) are pretty sophisticated, and it's not impossible to imagine evolution some day taking them yet farther.
Bones-O

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:47 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Reproducing is not creating life.Life began in that primeval soup never to be reproduced and for all mans efforts never replicated.What is life? no definition is forthcoming.

I'm unclear as to what you're getting at. In your previous response you seemed to be talking about evolution. Now you appear to be talking about genesis. In my post that you originally responded to I spoke both of self-assembly and self-replication, both of which I'd say would be required for genesis and evolution. What precisely is your argument?
xris

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:55 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
I'm unclear as to what you're getting at. In your previous response you seemed to be talking about evolution. Now you appear to be talking about genesis. In my post that you originally responded to I spoke both of self-assembly and self-replication, both of which I'd say would be required for genesis and evolution. What precisely is your argument?
Using the word create does not signify genesis or god does it? I am saying man can not create life , he does not even know what it is..It was evolved or created in the begining and never again.
Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:44 pm
@xris,
xris;51060 wrote:
I am saying man can not create life, he does not even know what it is..
It's completely within the realm of possibility that one day we will be able to create a living thing from scratch.

As for what is life, just because we don't have a simple definition doesn't mean we don't know what it is. It's only the rare example where it's even a debate (like viruses, which can be considered alive by some criteria but not by others)
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:16 pm
@Aedes,
Is it true that all life pretty well shares the same DNA? I think this piece of evidence kinda diminishes creationism coupled with the ability to re-create 19 of the 20 amino acids there are.

I am always confused how creationists could refuse to accept evolution. If there is a God then I don't see any divine plan in such bias as creationism. I mean, it just so happens that the female (Eve) took the first bite. How counter-intuitive does that seem?! But evolution, the bias is indifferent to human feelings. Seems to me a more reasonable method of creation for the sake of this 'equality' for all the life on Earth.

However, I think understanding what life is, might be beneficial, for, viruses as organic as they are seem to imply that all life is just the result of chemical processes (ok obvious) but is this what life is then? Perhaps life is a law. All matter follows laws, fundamental forces of nature, etc, which we define. But life has the emergent property of it's perceived motion not following 100% to those laws, but adapting a new one which is its self preservation?

At what point does a complex system all of a sudden exhibit this pattern that we can perceive? If all is waves, then lets represent a system with er... waves (because all is waves) . Perhaps a container with strings inside. If you zap energy into this box (or shake it for a while I suppose) then the string would obviously form knots and weave in complex ways. And when a knot forms, does it break eventually? It can I suppose, but what are the odds? Are the odds just as good as they are in creating the knot in the first place? In the analogy, no, because there is friction. I dunno if you can represent matter in such a way, seems like establishing some sort of entropy which becomes more constrained as you go up to macro from micro.

So having a knot could represent a new condition or law that the string (object) exhibits... whatever you wanna call it. And the knot must now cause the probabilities of potential perceived motions (or change in conditions) to alter. Perhaps for the self-sustaining of the knot? The odds of the knot becoming even bigger increase.
xris

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 05:03 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
It's completely within the realm of possibility that one day we will be able to create a living thing from scratch.

As for what is life, just because we don't have a simple definition doesn't mean we don't know what it is. It's only the rare example where it's even a debate (like viruses, which can be considered alive by some criteria but not by others)
I am not brave enough to say science will never recreate life but up till now we have not even got close.We can see life, we try to describe it, we fail miserable.It appears to have been ,how do i describe the first event,created by we know not what and it has not happened since.This to me in its self damned hard to understand.
Bones-O

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 09:59 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I am not brave enough to say science will never recreate life but up till now we have not even got close.We can see life, we try to describe it, we fail miserable.It appears to have been ,how do i describe the first event,created by we know not what and it has not happened since.This to me in its self damned hard to understand.

Thanks btw for the clarification. Yes, man may well one day trigger a new biogenesis - it seems within the realm of possibility. As experiments go though, that's a long-term one. :whistling: Further, vis a vis your previous response to me, I wouldn't agree that biogenesis could not start accidentally twice or more in the history of one planet. Why do you think this?
Bones-O

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:06 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

I am always confused how creationists could refuse to accept evolution. If there is a God then I don't see any divine plan in such bias as creationism. I mean, it just so happens that the female (Eve) took the first bite. How counter-intuitive does that seem?! But evolution, the bias is indifferent to human feelings. Seems to me a more reasonable method of creation for the sake of this 'equality' for all the life on Earth.

Heh heh. Off-topic a little, but isn't Eve, a biblical character, the true saint of the enlightenment? Or maybe the snake. Think about the similarity between the casting out from Eden and the story of Plato's cave. It's the same damn story from a different viewpoint. E&A knew the stakes, they weren't half-baked. All they needed was a little push from a Platonic snake to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge and leave the cave for good.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

At what point does a complex system all of a sudden exhibit this pattern that we can perceive? If all is waves, then lets represent a system with er... waves (because all is waves) . Perhaps a container with strings inside. If you zap energy into this box (or shake it for a while I suppose) then the string would obviously form knots and weave in complex ways. And when a knot forms, does it break eventually? It can I suppose, but what are the odds? Are the odds just as good as they are in creating the knot in the first place? In the analogy, no, because there is friction. I dunno if you can represent matter in such a way, seems like establishing some sort of entropy which becomes more constrained as you go up to macro from micro.

So having a knot could represent a new condition or law that the string (object) exhibits... whatever you wanna call it. And the knot must now cause the probabilities of potential perceived motions (or change in conditions) to alter. Perhaps for the self-sustaining of the knot? The odds of the knot becoming even bigger increase.

:shocked:
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:46 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Thanks btw for the clarification. Yes, man may well one day trigger a new biogenesis - it seems within the realm of possibility. As experiments go though, that's a long-term one. :whistling: Further, vis a vis your previous response to me, I wouldn't agree that biogenesis could not start accidentally twice or more in the history of one planet. Why do you think this?
The evidence i believe only shows one trail of life. There is no recorded evidence or even any trace of original life, we only presume.I believe biologists have admitted that the chances of reproducing reproductive life is at the moment completely impossible.I cant help repeating myself why is it we dont see life being created on other numerous occassions.
Bones-O

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 02:25 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
The evidence i believe only shows one trail of life. There is no recorded evidence or even any trace of original life, we only presume.I believe biologists have admitted that the chances of reproducing reproductive life is at the moment completely impossible.I cant help repeating myself why is it we dont see life being created on other numerous occassions.

On the latter, I'd suggest timescales. As for the former, lack of proof of second biogenesis is not proof of only one biogenesis.
xris

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 03:01 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
On the latter, I'd suggest timescales. As for the former, lack of proof of second biogenesis is not proof of only one biogenesis.
So if there was two there must have been numerous, it then means thousands upon millions happening all the time.What is this mysterious formula for life ? I know it needs constant nourishment once it succeeds in being alive and it also needs an adequate means of replication.This formula is very complex and instantly successful or it will not succeed..How does it do it once without engineering , can you imagine the chances of success it needed ? The very exact amount of amino acids in the correct environment with that amazing ability to recreate multiply and self nourish.. Sorry but its beyond my comprehension..