The Mereological Fallacy in Neuroscience

nerdfiles

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:31 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Quote:
I don't understand how you know I felt some way because I said I did.

What is going on in this statement? In what sense are you using the verb "to know"? And in the first place, why are you using it?

Quote:
As far as I can tell there is still an asymmetry, and I don't see how you have any way of knowing that the speaker's understanding of "angry" approximates anything like your understanding of "angry".

That's a completely other philosophical topic. I'm talking about the grounds for ascription of a psychological predicate, not whether two people can have the qualitatively or numerically identical understandings of the same concept. I'm not sure why you're introducing this debate here.

Quote:
My brain is a part of me. How does my statement "I think" eliminate the possibility that only the physical content of my brain thinks.

If you re-read these two sentences, you'll notice that you have not only said something that is different from what I attack, but you've also said something that is internally inconsistent.

What about the brain being a "part of you" lends to the possibility of "the physical contents of my brain" having the ability to think?

It's one thing to say the brain thinks, another to say only the human organism can be said to think and another to say that the physical contents of the brain think. By this latter assertion, do you mean neurons, blood cells, the localizations that we map to the brain as representative of one region of the brain? In either case, the physical contents of the brain do not think, nor can the brain be said to think. What appears to be a premise "brain is a part of me" does not work for you. It is in fact a part of the mereological principle (born of the fallacy) that no psychological predicate can be ascribed to a part what rightly and properly can only be ascribed to the whole. (Would you suggest that a neuron is, to use logical extremes, conscious (something ascribe to the human) or has a tumor (something ascribed to the brain)?) So you telling me "my brain is part of me" does nothing for you.

But tell me, what does it mean to say a neuron thinks? What has a neuron to think about? Understand that I am taking the terms from your own mouth. I understand that I could take it as metaphor, as analogy, as literal, as anything else. So I do not need you to tell me that much. I've taken English courses at university, and I've read a novel or two. Again: I do not need you to distinguish examples of literary devices. Nor do I need you to chastise me for choosing one literary device over another. I am making a syntactical move which presupposes no assertion of my own about the meaning of your statement. I am substituting your terms in hopes to determine whether they remain true salva veritate. I am looking for the truth conditions of your statement. Adding "is it literal", "is it metaphor" really adds nothing to my objective and likely only distracts you from what I am gunning for. I am aimed at the truth conditions for the proposition.

Thus, when I say "I am angry", how might you go about looking for the truth conditions of such a claim? Now, how about "The neuron is angry"?

Will the truth conditions for both claims overlap? Will they not? Let's dwell on this distinction between truth conditions.

Quote:
To me, "I'm angry" is only criterial evidence that there is another, but it is only through inductive reasoning that I accept him to be similar to me.

"that there is another" means? Another human being? It's only criterial evidence for that? That alone? Either you need to elucidate or I should inform you of what I take the function of criteria evidence to be. Because either your claim is misleadingly oversimplified or you're intentionally glossing over.

"... it is only through inductive reasoning that I accept him to be similar to me"

First, false or at least in need of elucidation. Do you mean "similar to me" in the sense that through repeated conversations you learn that this person has your interests, etc? Or are we talking about seeing a child that we have never seen before cry at a playground and we base our ascription of the relevant predicate ("is unhappy" or "is in pain") based on "inductive evidence"? I claim that this latter claim is false. For one, what do you mean by "inductive evidence"? Horizontally? In that you "collect" evidence over time and apply it to new cases? Well, I do not see how this conflicts with the notion of criterial evidence, for to apply the predicate to a new case for the first time presupposes non-inductive identification of certain behavior so that one might ascribe the appropriate predicate. It goes without saying that "vertical ascription based on inductive evidence" is also false, if not absurd. For when you see a child cry for the first time, you have no "evidence" from this child alone. So the best thing you can argue is from "horizontal inductive evidence" which I've shown to presuppose non-inductive identification. This non-inductive identification just is criterial evidence to identify certain behavior and apply the fitting predicate. It must be noted that criterial evidence (pain-behavior) does not entail that someone is in pain. This "logical entailment" applies to statements like "If A is a square, then A has four sides."

Second, what do you mean by "accept"? Has this anything relevant to do with my claim of the grounds for ascribing a psychological predicate? But tell me this, to revert back to an earlier point: When you ascribe anger to this person, are you applying inductive reasoning to his brain's behavior? What is the object of your inductive procedure? What object gives you grounds for ascribing the psychological predicate of, say, "is angry"? Is it him? Or his brain? Don't skip ahead and reference mounds of the latest neuroscientific literature. What is the object of you inductive procedure?

Further, it must be noted that we do not claim that the brain thinks or is in pain outside of neuroscience and psychology laboratories. The brain does not exhibit thinking-behavior or pain-behavior (which is criterial evidence) for the ascription of the relevant and appropriate predicates (thinking, is in pain). We ascribe these predicates to the whole organism (human beings) whereby we inductively determine that neural behavior might correlated with such behavior. A fortiori, if the brain cannot exhibit pain-behavior, then the physical contents of the brain (neurons) cannot exhibit pain-behavior.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 04:38 pm
@nerdfiles,
When I say, "He is angry," I am not just stating that he behaves angrily, rather I am describing his psychological state. Of course there is an asymmetry that keeps me from observing his psychological state. That has never kept us from making statements about another's experiences, however.

Traditionally, such propositions were accepted based on three things:

1) The other's behavior
2) My own behavior
3) My own psychological state

I can, through my subjective observations, link certain behaviors to my own feelings of anger. I can observe both my outward expression of anger and my feelings of anger, and from that I can then assign the feeling of anger to others who display similar behavior through inductive projection.

As I said, this is the traditional manner in which the assigning of psychological predicates were validated. Because of this, the language surrounding psychological predicates identifies with the person who "feels" rather than the brain.

The neuroscientists who you are referring to operate on separate criteria than those listed above. Instead of examining the behavior of the person, they examine the behavior of the brain. The behavior of the person is no longer criterial evidence, as it can be replaced by the behavior of the brain. Not only does applying psychological predicates to the brain become sensical, we can no longer refer to the behavior of the person as criterial evidence.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 04:45 pm
@nerdfiles,
"is angry" is a psychological predicate, so it goes without saying that you are talking about his psychological state. "is angry" is not a "behavioral predicate." The behavior is the grounds for the ascription of the predicate. You are talking about his psychological state on basis (from the criteria) of his behavior.

By saying someone is angry, it is presupposed that you are saying this person is behaving angrily. A psychological state is the combination of behavior and the meaning of the predicate to which that behavior corresponds.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 04:53 pm
@nerdfiles,
Sincere claim that one is in pain will always undermine any evidence which suggests that the brain is in pain. Further, if you're saying it's sensical to say the brain "is in pain" then you are no longer talking about the person.

You cannot say that {the brain is in pain} and {the person is in pain}. The two objects of study are categorically different. It cannot be entailed that because the brain is in pain, therefore the person is in pain. First, it makes no sense to say the brain is in pain.

If you're saying that the brain can be shown to exhibit pain correlation whereas the person is suggesting a different sensation, this is {not} the identity thesis which I attack. If you're saying criteria for saying the person {should} be exhibiting pain, based on the brain, outweights the affirmation of the person, you're not actually even engaging the argument that I am presenting. They have two kinds of evidence. The criteria for the brain is different from the criteria for the person. We do not ascribe psychological predicates on brain behavior. We ascribe them based on human behavior, whereby the brain is serves as a necessary condition to make that behavior possible. We cannot ascribe "happiness" to the brain based on human behavior, for it is already understood that the brain has its own criteria for determining which neural correlations correlate to our human behavior.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:10 pm
@nerdfiles,
Quote:
I can, through my subjective observations, link certain behaviors to my own feelings of anger. I can observe both my outward expression of anger and my feelings of anger, and from that I can then assign the feeling of anger to others who display similar behavior through inductive projection.

Explain what you mean by "link". Are you talking about a naming of a sensation? This runs against the private language argument.

Explain what you mean by "observe." What does it mean to "observe a sensation"? Do not explain to me what it means to observe the expression of a sensation (behavior), for this is exactly the argument I make. What do you mean by "sensation"? At face value, your use of "observe" runs against the private language argument.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:13 pm
@nerdfiles,
A proposition which attributes a predicate to a thing must be shown to have sense before its truth can be determined. More specifically, whether a psychological predicate can intelligibly and coherently be attributed to a thing is a matter of that predication's sense, not its truth. Thus, whether or not it makes sense to say of the brain that it thinks, believes, interprets, knows, etc is not going to be shown by appeal to empirical findings or results.

The proposition "The brain thinks" can be true or false, can have sense or lack sense. Its sense cannot be grounded in the truth of some empirical result because it is the already understood sense of the terms within the proposition which make for the proposition's possibility of being judged true or false.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:36 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
A proposition which attributes a predicate to a thing must be shown to have sense before its truth can be determined. More specifically, whether a psychological predicate can intelligibly and coherently be attributed to a thing is a matter of that predication's sense, not its truth. Thus, whether or not it makes sense to say of the brain that it thinks, believes, interprets, knows, etc is not going to be shown by appeal to empirical findings or results.

The proposition "The brain thinks" can be true or false, can have sense or lack sense. Its sense cannot be grounded in the truth of some empirical result because it is the already understood sense of the terms within the proposition which make for the proposition's possibility of being judged true or false.

Yes, I lopped off a large section of my last post when I realized that truth is not a directly relevant issue. However, while empirical findings may be irrelevant to the sense of the proposition, empirical method is important, as your entire argument is built around the criterial evidence for judgment.

Quote:
Sincere claim that one is in pain will always undermine any evidence which suggests that the brain is in pain.

Not necessarily. One could monitor ones own brain waves while one is experiencing pain. Pain is extremely easy to replicate and control for experiment. It would stand to reason that, if a scientist were able to map out all brain activity when he pricked himself with a pin, he could observe that brain activity in others and determine the cause without ever observing the pin prick. That would be an equivalent bridge of the problem.

Also, I am not entirely sure that "sincere claim that one is in pain" is exactly pain-behavior.
nerdfiles

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:47 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Quote:
Not necessarily.

Yes, necessarily because it is incoherent to attribute "pain" to the brain. It's plain that I would claim that this is necessarily so. Further, it should be obvious, even if my conclusions were not true or even if my arguments were invalid, that saying the brain is in pain as literally true is meaningless.

Look, you cannot both have your identity thesis and your . You cannot say "yes, it is literally true" (identity thesis) while arguing at the same time "it's just an expression of a metaphorical or figurative or analogical nature" ().

We have two issues here. I attack both. The identity thesis is absurd, for it leads to conceptual incoherence (literally attributing psychological predicates to the brain, those predicates which can only be attributed to the whole organism). Second, it is not a mere . Crick, Damasio, Blakemore, Rorty, the Churchland's, etc--not "as I understand them," but as they are taken at their word--are not claiming that "the brain thinks" is just some poetic license or linguistic innovation. They think it is more than "new turn of phrase" or "poetry." They are claiming that it is literally true; therefore, scientifically true or at least scientifically relevant.

Quote:
One could monitor ones own brain waves while one is experiencing pain. Pain is extremely easy to replicate and control for experiment. It would stand to reason that, if a scientist were able to map out all brain activity when he pricked himself with a pin, he could observe that brain activity in others and determine the cause without ever observing the pin prick. That would be an equivalent bridge of the problem.

Did you just suppose "from God's point of view" as a premise to your argument? It stands to reason...? No it doesn't. "If we had a total picture of the Universe" should be a premise never allowed in philosophical argument. It's the ultimate question-begging premise.

And discover the cause? We do not discover causes in science. We discover correlations. And it is a fallacy to suppose--without serious justification--that correlation implies or logically entails causation.

Quote:
Also, I am not entirely sure that "sincere claim that one is in pain" is exactly pain-behavior.

Claim that one is in pain is verbal behavior. If it is sincere and is related to pain, then it is verbal pain behavior. I am not saying that uttering "ouch" is propositional. In any case, I have claimed that it is, and it is. Are you disagreeing with me? Because it should go without saying that when a child utter "It hurts, it hurts!" we can properly construe the claim as a behavior. It's a particular brand of acting under a general case. So, yes, it is exactly pain behavior. But I am not claiming that is all that it is. Sincere claim does not exist only as behavior, but it is plain that it is a form of acting. And it constitutes our public criteria for determining that someone is in pain, among other things like gesticulations, gestures, pointing, crying, moaning, wincing, etc.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:56 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
Yes, necessarily because it is incoherent to attribute "pain" to the brain. It's plain that I would claim that this is necessarily so. Further, it should be obvious, even if my conclusions were not true or even if my arguments were invalid, that saying the brain is in pain as literally true is meaningless.

Look, you cannot both have your identity thesis and your . You cannot say "yes, it is literally true" (identity thesis) while arguing at the same time "it's just an expression of a metaphorical or figurative or analogical nature" ().

We have two issues here. I attack both. The identity thesis is absurd, for it leads to conceptual incoherence (literally attributing psychological predicates to the brain, those predicates which can only be attributed to the whole organism). Second, it is not a mere . Crick, Damasio, Blakemore, Rorty, the Churchland's, etc--not "as I understand them," but as they are taken at their word--are not claiming that "the brain thinks" is just some poetic license or linguistic innovation. They think it is more than "new turn of phrase" or "poetry." They are claiming that it is literally true; therefore, scientifically true or at least scientifically relevant.

I have never said that they do not mean it literally.

My argument is that their empirical method has shifted and what you are calling criterial evidence is no longer criterial evidence.

It is no longer necessary to observe the behavior of the whole organism to assign psychological predicates, rather just the behavior of the brain. Therefore it can be sensical to assign psychological predicates to the brain if empirical methods include the brain and only the brain.

Quote:
Did you just suppose "from God's point of view" as a premise to your argument? It stands to reason...? No it doesn't. "If we had a total picture of the Universe" should be a premise never allowed in philosophical argument. It's the ultimate question-begging premise.

And discover the cause? We do not discover causes in science. We discover correlations. And it is a fallacy to suppose--without serious justification--that correlation implies or logically entails causation.

I don't really grasp your issue here.

Assume there exists a machine that monitors the behavior of the brain. The test subject is wired into this machine in isolation, and at a random point in time the machine administers a pin prick to the subject.

The test is repeated for several subjects, and we document brain functioning that correlates to the pin prick.

Quote:
Claim that one is in pain is verbal behavior. If it is sincere and is related to pain, then it is verbal pain behavior. I am not saying that uttering "ouch" is propositional. In any case, I have claimed that it is, and it is. Are you disagreeing with me? Because it should go without saying that when a child utter "It hurts, it hurts!" we can properly construe the claim as a behavior. It's a particular brand of acting under a general case. So, yes, it is exactly pain behavior. But I am not claiming that is all that it is. Sincere claim does not exist only as behavior, but it is plain that it is a form of acting. And it constitutes our public criteria for determining that someone is in pain, among other things like gesticulations, gestures, pointing, crying, moaning, wincing, etc.

Is recollection of pain after its cessation verbal pain behavior?
nerdfiles

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:58 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;52161 wrote:
I have never said that they do not mean it literally.

My argument is that their empirical method has shifted and what you are calling criterial evidence is no longer criterial evidence.[/quote]

This is the general claim. Criterial evidence exists as ground for the ascription or attribution of any predicate whatsoever. To say of a rock that it will fly however many feet once thrown depends--first--on the evidence which supports that it is the kind of rock that it is, that it has certain features. Then induction comes along to tell us of the behavior that the rock may or may not take. We must first identify the thing in question before we can say of it that it will do this or that. Our predicates make up the tools by which we identify things. We say "it is a rock because it is this heavy" or "because it looks X." We say of the whole organism, "he is angry because he is flailing his arms." This evidence can be good or bad while the proposition that connects evidence with predicate can be true or false. The ascription of this predicate depends on a mastery and understanding of that predicate. Our ability to apply the predicate to new cases does not come from inductively applying it. It comes from our understanding and mastery of the meaning of the predicate though conceptual relation with other predicates, synonymy, learning, etc.

Quote:
It is no longer necessary to observe the behavior of the whole organism to assign psychological predicates, rather just the behavior of the brain. Therefore it can be sensical to assign psychological predicates to the brain if empirical methods include the brain and only the brain.

What do you mean by that which I've made bold? What about being able to "just observe the brain" makes it true that it have sense to assign those predicates to the brain?

For one, we need to get clear on what you mean by "observe." When I say "criterial evidence" do not take me to be accepting that "looking for criterial evidence is like looking for inductive evidence." So when I say "observe" for criterial evidence, if I say that at all, I mean something radically different from what you mean. I admit that it is "not necessary to observe (in the criterial sense)" because criterial evidence is the logically good (or bad) evidence for identification of the thing in question and whether or not it makes sense to ascribe a predicate to that thing. After identification, you can apply induction all you want. Empirical is relevant, but so is criterial evidence.

Quote:
...if empirical methods include the brain and only the brain.

But you do realize that at some point, you're going to have to tell the person that she is actually this or that psychological predicate?

The whole point of your "only including the brain" is to arrive at a more accurate correlation between the person's public behavior and neural activity. Your whole scientific endeavor presupposes that the brain and the whole organism are distinct so that you can "only include" the brain. You begin to "only include" the brain because you realize that the particular psychological predicate is already understood to not be a proper predicate of the brain. You decide to reduce the scope of your investigation or limit the reach of your methodology because you understand that the whole organization has properties (which correspond to the predicates we ascribe) that manifestly do not map in a 1:1 correspondence to neural or brain activity.

So it doesn't follow that if you only include the brain, it makes sense to ascribe psychological predicates to the brain. Thus, you've made the wrong inference. If you only include the brain, it follows that you understand the range of predicates which apply to the whole organization can only be correlated to the brain.

[INDENT]And, again, correlation does not imply causation. Identity theses presuppose causation. To ascribe a psychological predicate to the brain presupposes that the brain and the whole organism are the same thing (identity thesis). But I deny that there is sense to this. So, I deny the identity thesis. Thus, further, I deny that it makes sense to say there is a strict causal relationship between brain and whole organism. This is just another way of saying what you emphasized: scientists are only looking for correlations to map to a range of predicates that only can coherently and intelligibly be applied to the whole organism. Thus, a denial of the identity thesis is therefore a denial that the brain can be ascribed predicates that can only be properly applied to the whole.[/INDENT]

By you telling me that scientists "only look at the brain" or use correlation, you are not in fact debating with me, for it is the premise to my own argument that scientists only look for inductive correlations. And it is my own argument that they "limit their methodology." Why this latter claim? Well, as it comes with technical terms, it is implied that one is dealing with a "highly technical field of discourse." Thus, the technical terms apply to an artificially produced range of cases. This is exactly what I pointed out earlier: only in cognitive neuroscience is the brain said to be the bearer of psychological predicates. They artificially restrict themselves to looking at only the brain (though cognitive neuroscience must also incorporate psychology, so I doubt that your statement is even representative of current practices, even if it is true--it might've been true at the dawn of neuroscience, but it certainly is not true now).

Quote:
I don't really grasp your issue here.

Assume there exists a machine that monitors the behavior of the brain. The test subject is wired into this machine in isolation, and at a random point in time the machine administers a pin prick to the subject.

The test is repeated for several subjects, and we document brain functioning that correlates to the pin prick.

Yes, I said that already. You tried to talk about causation. Now you're moving to only tracking correlations, per my correction. You need causation to establish an identity thesis. Correlation presupposes that two things are distinct in order for there to be a mapping between them.

1:2
2:4
3:6
4:8

And so on... This is an inductive proof that the Natural Numbers (N) and the Even Numbers (E) have the same cardinality. There is a correlation between n (of N) and 2n (of E). In order to say there is a correlation, I must understand N and E to be different sets or that one set is a subset of another. Like so, E is a subset of N. Or, more to our topic, the brain is a subset of the whole organism.

However, the brain and the whole organism are not like N/E because they are categorically distinct. Thus, we have to suppose, for the purpose of analogy, that the whole organism is the Natural Numbers (N) while the brain is the set of the Real Numbers (R).

We can never form a 1:1 correspondence between N and R by Cantor's Diagonal argument. We can correlate members of R to members of N. We do this more or less on intuition. We might say of n found in n >= 1.5 for any n that n is pretty much or approximately by correlation 2. In order to do this, we use induction, intuition, correlation, etc. But we can never argue that 1.533445 to 1.888888 ... just is two. We can never say that number from which we round up just is the number we are rounding to; this would defeat the point of us rounding up in the first place. To say "round up from x.65465487 to the next highest integer" is not to say that the 2.5 just is 3.

This is because irrationals are categorically distinct from naturals, and vice versa. The same applies to the brain and the whole organism. With the N/E dichotomy, we can satisfy a mathematical identity thesis. We cannot do this with the N/R dichotomy. I am arguing that the brain and the whole organism are like the N/R divide.

[INDENT]The whole organism is at least the kind of thing that has a whole range of properties, potentiality, capacities, possible predications, features that are not within the range of of the brain.
[/INDENT]

And again, induction (correlation mapping) presupposes identification of that which is to be correlated. Criterial evidence is identification evidence. Criterial evidence is the logically good (or bad) evidence for ascribing a predicate to a thing in the first place.

[quote]Is recollection of pain after its cessation verbal pain behavior?[/QUOTE]

No. Though in relevant cases, it is verbal and it is about the pain or past pain (in this case).
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:19 am
@nerdfiles,
Nerdfiles,

Your basic argument is and has been, as I have understood it, that we can only ascribe psychological predicates (true or false) after we understand what it means for the predicate to apply. In other words, we must first understand what it means to be angry and what qualities underscore anger.

From this you argue that, since public behavior is necessary criteria and are built into what it means to "be angry", one cannot ascribe this psychological predicate to anything other than the person, as only the person as a whole can exhibit public behavior.

To this I am responding that those who are trying to ascribe psychological predicates to the mind are revising the qualities and criteria that constitute what it means to "be angry". Basically, all of the qualities necessary to ascribe "is angry" are qualities and behaviors of the brain: to "be angry" means that the brain has certain qualities.

There is also the question of whether it makes sense to ascribe "angry" to both the person and the brain. You state "that the whole organization has properties (which correspond to the predicates we ascribe) that manifestly do not map in a 1:1 correspondence to neural or brain activity".

While it is quite obvious that the person possesses properties that the brain does not, these properties that are not shared are excluded from the necessary criteria needed to assign the predicate "is angry". That was the point of only including the brain. If a person has lung cancer, it makes sense to say both that the person and the lung "is cancerous". We only need to observe the skin of an apple to make sensical propositions about the color of both the skin and the apple as a whole.

And in my example I use "correlate" to show relationship between the pin prick and mental function. I do not correlate mental function with the behavior of the person, as mental function is behavior of the person, at least a portion of it.

Let me ask you this: I have "been scared" while sleeping during certain dreams. I find it extremely likely that a state of "being scared" can be detected and identified during sleep. Is it meaningful to say that someone "was scared" while sleeping? Is it meaningful to ever say "I was scared" if public criteria is not observed?
nerdfiles

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 07:11 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
To this I am responding that those who are trying to ascribe psychological predicates to the mind are revising the qualities and criteria that constitute what it means to "be angry". Basically, all of the qualities necessary to ascribe "is angry" are qualities and behaviors of the brain: to "be angry" means that the brain has certain qualities.

To first address your statements directly: If we accept your principle, we lose our criteria for identification of angry people. To object: qualities and behaviors of the brain cannot be the only criteria.

"...to ascribe psychological predicates to the mind..."

We're not talking about ascribing psychological predicates to the mind. I hope this is nothing more than a typo.

Quote:
While it is quite obvious that the person possesses properties that the brain does not, these properties that are not shared are excluded from the necessary criteria needed to assign the predicate "is angry".

This latter clause is in need of clarification, especially the bit about "excluded from necessary criteria." For one, your sentence on its own is self-inconsistent. For while you "admit"--perhaps in ironic and insincere sense--that it is obvious that the person possesses properties that the brain does not, the logical identification of the brain with the whole organism would contravene such an admittance.

I could take your claim very many ways, and here are but a couple.

(i) From this statement, I might take you to be saying that no properties which are distinctly human, in contrast to brain properties, constitute any of the criteria necessary to apply the predicate "is angry." This is manifestly false and absolutely contrary to common sense, let alone convention, and it would require the profoundest sort of justification.

(ii) Or, you might be saying something less opposed to common sense, but which nevertheless makes your statement self-inconsistent: that the criteria of the brain "win out" over the criteria of behavior in application of the predicate to the organism as a whole.

The former clause of your sentence "admits" of a distinction between properties between whole (human) and part (brain) but it at the same time professes that these behavioral properties of the brain allow for logical identification with a certain range of psychological predicates which we typically apply to the human. Thus, you conclude that we (rightly) attribute these psychological predicates to the brain.

But if you admit that brain properties "win" over human-behavioral, then you do not admit that there is a distinction at all. To maintain the predicate "is angry" as our observed predicate: You are forced, by your principle, to say that all those and only those properties of the brain satisfy the criteria for the application of the predicate "is angry." If this is the case, then the predicate of "being angry" which might be had by a human being needs a sense. If the conditions under which one is, as a human being, identified as being angry are only those conditions provided by the brain, then we have said that the behavior of the person in no way counts. In no way, then, would a raving child's behavior justify our claim that he is angry or gleeful or distraught, for our only logically sufficient (on your assumption) criteria would be that criteria provided by the brain. But this is absurd, for it would, as one consequence, entail that billions of people on the planet systematically apply the predicate "is angry," etc on logically faulty evidence. These people, in applying the predicate "is angry," on your principle, apply it with the wrong kind of justification. I am not one to argue from consequences, and I could provide other arguments, but I must say that your principle must be rejected at least because of its radical opposition with common sense.

Quote:
That was the point of only including the brain. If a person has lung cancer, it makes sense to say both that the person and the lung "is cancerous". We only need to observe the skin of an apple to make sensical propositions about the color of both the skin and the apple as a whole.
Surely when we say "X is cancerous" we mean something at least different by degree when X is satisified by "a human" as opposed to "that human's lung." Surely, we go about treatment of the entities in question very differently. No one, for instance, would say that we brought the cancerous lung a get well card yesterday. And you might feel that this example of mine "misses your point." Well, I pose it because it is the point I am trying to make. Even if "is cancerous" were to have the exact same sense in both propositions "Bob is cancerous" and "Bob's lung is cancerous", this would not license us to identify Bob with Bob's lung. It is exactly the point of using two different nouns to which I am underscoring.

What's more, your argument is formally invalid because it commits the fallacy of the undistributed middle term.

P is Q
R is Q
Therefore, P is R.

Bob is cancerous.
Bob's lung is cancerous.
Therefore, Bob is Bob's lung.

Thus, your argument is invalid. But I highly doubt you were even trying to make this claim and, furthermore, I feel that you are not getting my point. I am talking about the identity thesis in philosophy of mind.

Quote:
Let me ask you this: I have "been scared" while sleeping during certain dreams. I find it extremely likely that a state of "being scared" can be detected and identified during sleep. Is it meaningful to say that someone "was scared" while sleeping? Is it meaningful to ever say "I was scared" if public criteria is not observed?
If you're scared in your sleep while dreaming then obviously "being scared" is a predicate that is being use with a "high definition." The exact stipulation you have made by your example gives the predicate in question a bloated sense. If you're talking about the predicate "being scared while asleep" then clearly you cannot be talking about the general predicate ("public" or not) "being scared."

Suppose that "travelling to the store" presupposes that the sense of "to travel" involves travelling by foot. If I tell you, "I will travel to the store" and then later say "Yes, I travelled to the store by car," then I cannot say that I merely travelled to the store. I travelled to the store under a new sense. If many people go along with our presupposition of what it means to travel to the store, then it would be, at best, subtractive, and, at worst, misleading if I say to someone, "Yes, he travelled to the store" and leave out the qualification "by car."

I hope this analogy helps you see that your "sleep" example employs a qualified sense of "being scared" which is "being scared while asleep." Thus, even if I were to answer your question, it would not address the current discussion because whether or not we do not observe public criteria, "being scared while asleep" does not mean the same thing as "being scared." And you ought not treat them as if they do have the same meaning, for that, against my own argument, would beg the question about what constitutes the meaning of a predicate. I would not admit that the criteria, whatever it is, that partly constitutes the meaning of "being scared while asleep" is exactly the same as "being scared." It is clear, if not by the mere words of the predicates alone, to any competent language user, that the two predicates do not mean the same thing.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 07:46 pm
@nerdfiles,
Reporting that you were scared while asleep doesn't mean anything like reporting "you were scared by a clown at a party."

If we're talking about public criteria, to presuppose that these two reports have the same sense just presupposes that neither requires public criteria. Your example cannot stipulate, presuppose as true, that my argument is false.

"Is it meaningful to say that someone "was scared" while sleeping? Is it meaningful to ever say "I was scared" if public criteria is not observed?"

Yes, the person says "I was scared in my dream." In this case, the person is reporting and we accept the claim about herself as true. No one can say while herself asleep "I am scared." And if the person wakes and says "I was scared while sleep" and the neuroscientist says "yes, we inferred that" then neuroscientist cannot be saying that she logically deduced that. For the whole point of running the experiment was to use collected empirical data about the person to make a scientifically justified hypothesis about the outcome of the report and the data. If the person who slept were to say, "I was not scared," then the scientist would simply tack that on to the statistical data about that person so that the next conjecture about the relation between that person's report and the inferrence might be more closely correlated.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:37 pm
@nerdfiles,
Perhaps I would also like to introduce the claim tacit, I believe, to a previous poster: That the neuroscientist (and I mean strictly the neuroscientist and not the scientist generally), qua neuroscientist is extending analogically, poetically, or metaphorically the sense of terms in a useful and novel way. And further, that explanation, in the realm of neuroscience and--as we might endeavor to entertain--as such, cannot exist unless accompanied by means of the sort just mentioned.

I should like to be clear, for it may elucidate the central topic, that my argument is that the neuroscientists whom of which I have cited are not employing such a means of explanation. Thus, we are forced, as far as I am concerned, to look at the neuroscientist's explanation not as of the ilk of the scientists generally, who may engage in willful and explicit poetic license. It is not the case that we can interpret Crick, Damasio, Blakemore, Young and Searle and Dennett and Churchland as engaging in poetic or figurative speech. It is my argument that they are not doing this at all. Thus, I find it a red herring to debate whether it is useful to accept the utility of such explanation unless we explicitly reign ourselves into the understanding that we are not talking about my original criticisms.

Now we might address the claim, admittedly and consciously divorced from that region of the debate: Is poetic license necessary for scientific explanation? Is analogical reasoning, metaphor, figurative language and so forth necessary?

Further more: Is the metaphor of relating a physical phenomena such as gravity to some other non-metaphorically understood but sufficiently less difficult concept just like the metaphor which involves predicating of a thing, like the brain, with a property it could not possibly have?
0 Replies