Air Jordan

Elmud

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:17 am
I guess Michael Jordans son made a boo boo. Seems he wore a pair of Air Jordans in a basketball game instead of Adidas .Now,,,Adidas is cancelling its contract with the University of Central Florida where he plays. Pretty clear who dictates policy in this country. This is but a small example. Interesting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 6
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:39 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;102127 wrote:
I guess Michael Jordans son made a boo boo. Seems he wore a pair of Air Jordans in a basketball game instead of Adidas .Now,,,Adidas is cancelling its contract with the University of Central Florida where he plays. Pretty clear who dictates policy in this country. This is but a small example. Interesting.

It isn't clear to me who dictates policy in this country. What policy do you think Adidas dictates? What athletic shoes should be worn? So what? No one has to do business with anyone. I thought you meant United States foreign policy.
xris

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:53 am
@kennethamy,
Not a good example, but when certain companies turn over is more than many countries, they do wield a power that is not always available for scrutiny by the populace. This shows itself most evidently.

Nestles can dictate many poor African countries policies and laws. The drugs industry in the US has more than passing interest in the health policy of the government. Through bribes, the official word is lobbying, many corporate companies dictate government's actions.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:15 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102135 wrote:
It isn't clear to me who dictates policy in this country. What policy do you think Adidas dictates? What athletic shoes should be worn? So what? No one has to do business with anyone. I thought you meant United States foreign policy.
an old saying. don't bite the hand that feeds you. I think that may apply in many situations.

---------- Post added 11-06-2009 at 09:17 AM ----------

xris;102140 wrote:
Not a good example, but when certain companies turn over is more than many countries, they do wield a power that is not always available for scrutiny by the populace. This shows itself most evidently.

Nestles can dictate many poor African countries policies and laws. The drugs industry in the US has more than passing interest in the health policy of the government. Through bribes, the official word is lobbying, many corporate companies dictate government's actions.
ya think?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:40 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;102145 wrote:
an old saying. don't bite the hand that feeds you. I think that may apply in many situations.

---------- Post added 11-06-2009 at 09:17 AM ----------

ya think?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Still, changing a schools policy on athletic shoes is not exactly like changing American foreign policy, is it?
Elmud

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102154 wrote:
Still, changing a schools policy on athletic shoes is not exactly like changing American foreign policy, is it?

Sometimes kenneth,,I think you have this habit of reading more into something than there is. Who said anything about American foreign policy? This is not political. It is societal.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:14 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;102174 wrote:
Sometimes kenneth,,I think you have this habit of reading more into something than there is. Who said anything about American foreign policy? This is not political. It is societal.

I don't think that trying to influence a school to buy a certain brand of shoes is an undue influence, or a very important influence on policy. A company need not sell to anyone it does not want to sell to. It is a free country. The school can do as it pleases. And so can the company (in this matter). What does it show about society other than this is a free enterprise system?
0 Replies