What is Fate?

Elmud

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:34 pm
Is there such a thing as fate? I'm not sure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,574 • Replies: 5
No top replies

mister kitten

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 07:49 pm
@Elmud,
There is if you believe there is.
Elmud

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:27 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73820 wrote:
There is if you believe there is.
Isn't belief a choice? Not sure I understand your statement.
Arya

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:29 am
@Elmud,
Fate is something unknown ,out of our control, you have to accept it weather its good or bad, you must believe in fate if you want to be able to continue your life, fate is something in god hand , what ever you did or you will do you cannot change the events, you cannot change your destiny.
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:43 am
@Elmud,
Fate is a name for what actually happened. "Beethoven was fated to be a composer." Fate is also a name we use for whatever will, in fact, happen but hasn't happened yet. But it has absolutely no predictive or causal value. If Beethoven had painted pictures, he would have been fated to be a painter.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:10 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;73735 wrote:
Is there such a thing as fate? I'm not sure.

Appointment in Samarra (Somerset Maugham)

A merchant in Baghdad sends his servant to the marketplace for provisions. Shortly, the servant comes home white and trembling and tells him that in the marketplace he was jostled by a woman, whom he recognized as Death, and she made a threatening gesture. Borrowing the merchant's horse, he flees at top speed to Samarra, a distance of about 75 miles (125 km), where he believes Death will not find him. The merchant then goes to the marketplace and finds Death, and asks why she made the threatening gesture. She replies, "That was not a threatening gesture, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

Is this the kind of thing you mean by, "Fate"?

---------- Post added 07-06-2009 at 03:12 PM ----------

jgweed;75408 wrote:
Fate is a name for what actually happened. "Beethoven was fated to be a composer." Fate is also a name we use for whatever will, in fact, happen but hasn't happened yet. But it has absolutely no predictive or causal value. If Beethoven had painted pictures, he would have been fated to be a painter.

I thought that "fate" is a name for what is inevitable, and not everything that happens is inevitable. (See my previous post, "Appointment in Samarra" Above).
0 Replies