Professional Wrestling

Elmud

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:00 pm
I'm confused. I do not get it. I do not need to tell anyone that pro wrestling is fake. Everyone "knows" it is fake. The people who "love" it know its fake. Now, what is the attraction? Is it the acting? Yes, they follow their scripts well but, come on. The acting is terrible. Is it the chance that one may get to see someone get slammed over the head with a chair? I've watched high school wrestling and The Olympic wrestling. Never cared for it but, it is at least a sport. But, this pro wrestling. Craziest thing I ever saw. Sometimes I think its funny but, when I see the crazed glassy eyed fans screaming out in the crowd, I think, "psychosis". Can anyone help me? Surely someone out there can enlighten me about this illness. What is the attraction of professional wrestling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:19 pm
@Elmud,
"Professional" Wrestling as you see on Smackdown, Raw, etc; appeal to the innate primate nature of human beings to see some candy ass get pwned with a long ladder.

I believe the Germans have a word for this: Schadenfreude.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:21 pm
@Victor Eremita,
You mean its not an outlet for repressed homoerotic emotion?

LOL but I agree, its the same reason people who don't know the techniques of Boxing or MMA watch it... we all like to kick ass by proxy. In wrestling's case its just once removed, ultra violent circus of sorts.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:28 pm
@Elmud,
Quote:

You mean its not an outlet for repressed homoerotic emotion?

Well, let's just say, I think the best feature of the WWE is the Diva fights...
Aphoric

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 11:37 pm
@Elmud,
Idk, I guess it's interesting in the way that it blends eccentric characters and knock down, drag out **** talking and over-the-top physicality. And some of the stuff that goes on is athletically impressive (I still remember the image of Goldberg lifting some 300+ pound behemoth over his head and throwing him over the guard rail into the audience). I feel like the reason people like it is the same reason they enjoy circus acts. Now if only they could make it not suck....
0 Replies

validity

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:47 am
@Elmud,
Then should all acting be similarly labelled as such?

PS the good old days YouTube - Ultimate Warrior slams Andre The Giant
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:00 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
Well, let's just say, I think the best feature of the WWE is the Diva fights...

Well, yes. Some of those ladies are good looking . But. I feel as though I could not be attracted to a girl who could whip the tar out of me.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 12:36 am
@Elmud,
Lol Victor:
I married a woman who can whip the tar out of me. She was a professional body guard, ninjutsu teacher when I met her.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 02:02 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;62376 wrote:
Lol Victor:
I married a woman who can whip the tar out of me. She was a professional body guard, ninjutsu teacher when I met her.

Ha, sweet.

"Nobody touches my hubbie!!!"
richrf

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:58 am
@Victor Eremita,
It's a good soap. We all have soap. We watch it. We imagine ourselves in one. We create it. And we live it. Soap is drama and drama is the stuff of life.

Rich
Elmud

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:14 am
@richrf,
richrf;70635 wrote:
It's a good soap. We all have soap. We watch it. We imagine ourselves in one. We create it. And we live it. Soap is drama and drama is the stuff of life.

Rich
I would rather watch three hours of chinese country western singers.
0 Replies

Shadow Dragon

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:05 pm
@Elmud,
A couple reasons. First off the action. While yes it's fake but so is are movies. Also even though it is scripted, some of the action is very well done and it's evident how athletic the people doing it are. John Morrison's split leg corkscrew moonsualt is a good example of the athletics involved. Also, the eccentric characters are sometimes really interesting and very well done.
0 Replies

Timinater94

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:19 am
@Elmud,
I'm a huge Pro Wrestling Fan. I watch it because its entertaining why...i really dont know...Its not because of blood or watching someone get hit in the head with a chair because WWE has now Banned and Blood and Chair shots that hit the head due to so many cuncussions to their wreslters.I just watch it like its a theater, its a big stage in front of thousands of fans...I mainly watch it because i love to hear teh crwod reaction no matter what type of reaction it is bad or good I really cannot understand why though *shrugs*
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:04 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;60785 wrote:
I'm confused. I do not get it. I do not need to tell anyone that pro wrestling is fake. Everyone "knows" it is fake. The people who "love" it know its fake. Now, what is the attraction? Is it the acting? Yes, they follow their scripts well but, come on. The acting is terrible. Is it the chance that one may get to see someone get slammed over the head with a chair? I've watched high school wrestling and The Olympic wrestling. Never cared for it but, it is at least a sport. But, this pro wrestling. Craziest thing I ever saw. Sometimes I think its funny but, when I see the crazed glassy eyed fans screaming out in the crowd, I think, "psychosis". Can anyone help me? Surely someone out there can enlighten me about this illness. What is the attraction of professional wrestling?

Yep, i they are morons. I perfer ufc. :whistling:
0 Replies