The purpose of communication.

nameless

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:57 pm
@Elmud,
Sometimes, there is a rhythm and flow in the stringing together of words that is equally as important as the words 'chosen' in the crafting of a communication... One great limitation in this sort of venue (internet forum) is the inability to use inflection and body language also.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:16 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I have to admit Nerdfiles that I found the use of the word to be quite humorous. Is maniac a synonym for fiend? lol. Hey, like I said, no big deal. I've been called worse. But, I do find it interesting that we have words that mean the same thing. I often wondered why a person may choose to use a word like elucidate instead of using the word explain. Or, use the word infer instead of using the word suggest. Maybe its just a matter of preference, or, maybe the more attractive word that is chosen, is just a part of their personality. In any case, its alright. I certainly would not want to impose a change on ones choice of words.

Elmud, he didn't call you a fiend. He was summarizing your insulting rant that anyone who uses big, uncommon words is trying to be a condescending, over-intellectualizing jerk.

Really read it:

Quote:
What an unhelpful (and false) dilemma. Either you're a self-righteous overintellectualizing fiend or you're a condescending (self-righteous overintellectualizing) fiend.

He is referring to a dilemma: Can a person be a dilemma?

And why on earth would nerdfiles, of all people, refer to you as a self-righteous, over-intellectualizing fiend when he has been quite plain that he thinks the members of this forum aren't intellectual enough.

It appears to me that it wasn't his actual words that convinced you he was attacking you.

My advice would be to grow some thicker skin, assume that a poster is making a point and not an attack, and if the words do actually convince you an attack is being made, brush it off and focus on the valid content of the post or ignore it.

Nerdfiles is abrasive, but I am quite certain that this has been an egregious misinterpretation.
0 Replies

Theages

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:21 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;52048 wrote:

...the purpose of communication is about understanding. Nothing else.

I'll bet you five dollars that this isn't true.
0 Replies

Paggos

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 06:23 pm
@Elmud,
It expands your vocabulary of that language. Using words in which are in a massive extend proves you know the English language more than most people. Adequate instead of important, shows you acquire wisdom of that, look at HTML. The syntax is simple, still, people switch to CSS because it is advanced.
Dearhtead

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:32 am
@Paggos,
It is obvious that the purpose of communication is to convey the truth.

When we chat, I think that we involuntarily continue to convey it but speakers most of the time don't make an effort to understand the real sense and so they make a mistake, principally because of the condition of chattings (no time to analyze, yearning for entertainment, etc).

That is why written text is so important, because we can imagine that when we are writing we make more attention than when we are chatting. But of course the truth can be orally explained too!

As regards vocabulary, in my opinion the truth needn't rich one. A subject, a verb, a complement or not and that's all!

As regards the grammar, a sentence can be true, but not the grammar. When the form (grammar) is true, I think that whatever the content is, the sentence is also true, but in this case the sentence can appear meaningless.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:08 am
@Elmud,
The purpose of communication is to transfer ideas, thoughts, meaning from one brain to another. How much it succeeds, well... that's open to debate
Theages

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 01:09 pm
@Khethil,
Dearhtead;71016 wrote:
It is obvious that the purpose of communication is to convey the truth.

When we chat, I think that we involuntarily continue to convey it but speakers most of the time don't make an effort to understand the real sense and so they make a mistake, principally because of the condition of chattings (no time to analyze, yearning for entertainment, etc).

That is why written text is so important, because we can imagine that when we are writing we make more attention than when we are chatting. But of course the truth can be orally explained too!

As regards vocabulary, in my opinion the truth needn't rich one. A subject, a verb, a complement or not and that's all!

As regards the grammar, a sentence can be true, but not the grammar. When the form (grammar) is true, I think that whatever the content is, the sentence is also true, but in this case the sentence can appear meaningless.

Khethil;71020 wrote:
The purpose of communication is to transfer ideas, thoughts, meaning from one brain to another. How much it succeeds, well... that's open to debate

I'll bet you both five dollars that these statements are not true.
Elmud

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:38 pm
@Theages,
Theages;71432 wrote:
I'll bet you both five dollars that these statements are not true.
No gambling in the forums Theages.
nameless

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:18 pm
@Elmud,
Seems to me that a philosophy site would be for those that have a better than average to good education and fair to good command of the language used. I don't think that there is a philosophy gene suddenly emerging (or should I say 'comming out'?) There are times where 'elucidate' is a better word than 'explain', it fits the context, perhaps just flows better.
I understand how the ego often will 'rebel' at words that are unfamiliar, perhaps inspiring this sort of thread. But a few trips to the dictionary will equip you with a selection of words to best craft your quotes (and perhaps send someone else running to the dictionary.. win/win).
And if you really wish to understand, anyway, a dictionary is what, 4 seconds away?
Complex notions, such as often found in contexts such as this, require, perhaps, wording outside the mundane-gimme-more-cheese-with-those-chips society.
I'd guess that very few actually use 'two-bit' words and 'jargon' for such vain reasons. I encounter ('find while perusing' ('looking around')) very little of that around here. And I put it right in their face when I do!
It is about education, in this case, language/words/concepts. How convenient that all it takes is a 4 second trip to a dictionary (or maybe a thesaurus), in this case.

Bye the bye, it appears that 'communication' might well be an evolutionary thing that enhances survival and procreation.
0 Replies

Theages

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:31 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;71544 wrote:

Is this a serious response? Read what I replied to and then think about what I said.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:26 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;71544 wrote:

LaughingLaughingLaughing

thanks elmud, you really made my day! this and your posts to nerdfiles are great! superb communication!
0 Replies