Silence is golden.

Elmud

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:12 pm
I wonder if Solomon ever said, there's a time to speak, and a time to refrain from flapping the jaw. Can't remember. Anyway, I was curious. Where does one draw the line when it comes to speaking about a certain subject, or posting a reply. As for me, It seems that there is a primary urge to speak immediately. But then, there's this secondary thought about the possible effect that my verbal action or reaction may have on others. Then, I sit down and weigh the possibilities. My question is, When is it time to speak, and when is it time to be silent on things? In other words, where do you draw the line and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 12
No top replies

WithoutReason

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:00 am
@Elmud,
If you were to try to have a conversation with me in person and I did not know you well, you would find I have little to say. Even with people I do know well, I find it difficult to get a word in when the group consists of three or more. I am least silent when I am conversing with only one additional person.

I don't have any particular reasons for being a generally silent person. It simply seems to be the way I am wired. But I find that my silence contributes to excellent listening skills, and I have a received a fair number of compliments on my quality as a listener.

If there is a reason other than natural personality for my silence, you might think of my discovery that arguing does little to nothing to change the mind of someone else who disagrees. There was a time when I felt I needed to make my beliefs known to more of an extent than I do now, but that was before I realized that other people have their own beliefs, and it is unlikely they plan to exchange them.

So I would suggest that when the topic of discussion is an issue that your discussion mate disagrees with you on and is under no circumstances going to change her mind, that is the time to be silent. Even if she might change her mind, you could find that it is ethically difficult to attempt to force a change of view, depending on what the issue is.

If you are conversing with people who feel as you do about the topic, that would be the time to enjoy a discussion that lasts well into the early morning hours if need be.

But of course I am someone who frowns on conflict, and someone else who does not mind it will probably disagree with me. Understandably, he and I would avoid the topic of conflict in a discussion we might have.
0 Replies

sarathustrah

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:14 am
@Elmud,
very well said... and i relate Smile

the thread title reminds me of the Faintly Macabre story in norton justers "phantom tollbooth"

"brevity is the soul of wit."
"An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger"
"Speak fitly or be silent wisely"
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:41 am
@sarathustrah,
Confucius from The Analects
XIV.29: The Master said, "The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions."

Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Mark Twain
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

The Twain quote is also sometimes attributed to quite a few other recognizeables.
sthack99

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@Elmud,
I read somewhere once that being critical is okay, as long as it's in the other person's best interest. If you say something to someone that is in no way beneficial to them or the situation, then it's probably best to keep your mouth shut.
0 Replies

sthack99

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:24 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Mark Twain
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I have always loved this quote. Smile
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:48 pm
@sthack99,
When the conversants start repeating themselves or other who hold similar opinions its time to close a thread.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:24 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Confucius from The Analects
XIV.29: The Master said, "The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions."

Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Mark Twain

The Twain quote is also sometimes attributed to quite a few other recognizeables.

<Wonders if Didymos is old enough to remember who sang this song.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 05:55 pm
@Elmud,
Most of what I listen to is a generation old, but I am a young buck. What's the song?
Elmud

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 05:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Most of what I listen to is a generation old, but I am a young buck. What's the song?

Silence is Golden
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 06:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
You're young. I'm an old geezer. should not expect you to know this one. It was Frankie Valle and the four seasons. A group back in the sixties. A little useless info of which I possess quite a bit of.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:31 pm
@Elmud,
I know Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, but not that track. I'll have to check it out.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:07 am
@Elmud,
Hey

My little contribution,

Listen, listen, listen, very, very, very, carefully. Then think, think, think, and think, ,again

Only then must we let our jaws wag
0 Replies