causal descriptivism

gabalus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 02:05 pm
Hi
In this thread I'm not going to pick up any problem but ask you for a help. I'm going [alone] into causal descriptivism. The names associated with that are Jerrold Kath, Frederic Kroon. A short note about you can find in Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy in the article "Names" (Names (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)). What I want to ask you for is some help in gathering articles and books on that subject. Especially I'm interested in clear presentation of that theories (common theses + diferences) and a question if that descriptivism is resistant to the classical critique of descriptivism (like the one in Naming and Necessity).
If you can help me, please contact me ([email protected])

Best regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,061 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:41 pm
@gabalus,
gabalus;64966 wrote:
Hi
In this thread I'm not going to pick up any problem but ask you for a help. I'm going [alone] into causal descriptivism. The names associated with that are Jerrold Kath, Frederic Kroon. A short note about you can find in Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy in the article "Names" (Names (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)). What I want to ask you for is some help in gathering articles and books on that subject. Especially I'm interested in clear presentation of that theories (common theses + diferences) and a question if that descriptivism is resistant to the classical critique of descriptivism (like the one in Naming and Necessity).
If you can help me, please contact me ([email protected])

Best regards

To me causal descriptivism complicates the simple, but I really know very little.

Name can effect things, for instance the name Challenger for the space shuttle did/or might have caused it to explode just after take off

The word Titanic for the great ocean passenger ship could have caused it to sink on its very first journey

I mean these names could have somehow challenged fate.

We should be careful how we name our children as they seem to adopt some of the characteristics of the name. Michael is a good strong name and we that in Mike Tyson

Think about using the name girlish name for a boy, does a boy with a girlish name ever take ever take on the strong attributes of a Michael?
0 Replies