[Resolved] Errors when using AIM button

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:05 pm
Craven,

Just letting you know about an error I am getting when attempting to use the AIM button from within a post and also from a person's profile. I get the same error when trying to use the AIM button on someone else's profile as well as my own.

This is the error text:

Quote:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the s: home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If you still cannot open the page, click the Internet Explorer
Search button to look for similar sites.

Internet Explorer

Windows XP Pro, IE 6, AOL 8, default skin. Tried Husker's AIM button and mine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,539 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:14 pm
Hmm, I bet it's an AOL issue. Did you have AIM running? Did you use the AOL browser?

Try it with IE.

I'll test it later from a computer with AOL on it. But if it's an AOL-specific problem I'm not going to address it as I could waste a lifetime solving AOL's problems.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:15 pm
Doh, just saw the specs below. So you tried it from IE?

And do you have AOL 9.0? They might have updated their AIM program.

You might want to try it from IE, but with AIM off and trillian on.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:18 pm
Hmm, I just created an AIM account and tested it on Trillian and unless you just got a bunch of "hello are you there"s from dfdgdfdgdgb it's not working. I think you need to have a standalone AIM client for it to work.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:06 pm
I get the same error when using AOL's browser and IE6. I'll download the stand-alone AIM and try that and let you know the results in a few minutes.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:21 pm
Okay, tried it with Netscape 7.02 while waiting for the AIM download to complete.

When I click on the AIM button in a post, a window pops up saying "The hyperlink you've clicked on may require you to be online to work. Please sign onto AIM first."

AIM is an integrated utility in Netscape and the AIM logon window pops up.

Looks like the problem is that the AIM button only works with the AIM stand-alone version and not with the AIM provided in the AOL front-end program.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:48 pm
Okay, downloaded and installed the latest version of AIM. Tried sending an IM to myself via the AIM button in a post and got the same error message even though I was also signed onto AIM (and AOL) using the Butrflynet screen name. Looks like the AOL program's version of AIM takes priority if both are logged on at same time.

So then I changed my A2K profile to another AIM login name, logged into AIM with that one while still logged into AOL and A2K with the Butrflynet name and the AIM button works flawlessly.

So, it is definitely an AOL problem. Guess I'll remove the AIM contact from my profile since I never use the stand alone version of AIM.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:50 pm
BFN, since the thing in your profile is for others to click on you might wanna leave it there. Hold on, lemme go make an AIM login and try to reach you through it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:53 pm
Just a sec, I need to logon to AIM again. I already closed it.

If I'm not logged onto the stand alone AIM and it only works when logged on, it won't do much good for others will it?

Seems rather stupid for a company to create a messenger program that doesn't even work with their main income producing product and service. Rolling Eyes I really need to find a new ISP.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:56 pm
Okay, I'm logged in on AIM under the contact name in my A2K profile.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
Here is some additional info to add to the stew.

Soz was able to send an AIM message to me at Butrflynet using the A2K AIM button even though I am not signed onto the stand alone AIM at the moment. It came through via the AOL front-end.

However, I am not able to send outgoing AIM messages via the A2K AIM button without first being logged onto the stand alone AIM utility.

Sure is odd how the thing works for incoming messages without me being logged onto AIM but requires me being signed onto AIM for outgoing messages even though I am using the same AOL front end that allowed the incoming message to come in on
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:11 pm
Sorry, something came up at the offfice and I had to run.

The need to be using the standalone version of AIM is only for teh person clicking, so your setup only matters for when you try to click someone else's button.

I'll explain more later, I have a whiny femfolk nagging me now.
0 Replies