Quick question

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
I think this is the right place for this question to go (sorry if its not).

My question is this: Is there a difference between logical and reasonable?

To me, logic is based on fact. To say that a decision was the logical choice, is saying that, by deduction, that choice was the correct one.

On the other hand, reason does not have to be logical per se. At least I don't think it does, perhaps that is where I'm wrong. To say that a decision was the reasonable choice is saying that perhaps that choice was not the logical one, but by presenting a valid argument, that makes the choice reasonable.

Although it seems like I just answered my own question, I don't think that I have because when I looked up logical on dictionary.com, one of the definitions was reasonable. (logical definition | Dictionary.com)

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 706 • Replies: 12
No top replies

xris

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:48 am
@the greek guy,
the_greek_guy wrote:

To me, logic is based on fact. To say that a decision was the logical choice, is saying that, by deduction, that choice was the correct one.

On the other hand, reason does not have to be logical per se. At least I don't think it does, perhaps that is where I'm wrong. To say that a decision was the reasonable choice is saying that perhaps that choice was not the logical one, but by presenting a valid argument, that makes the choice reasonable.

Although it seems like I just answered my own question, I don't think that I have because when I looked up logical on dictionary.com, one of the definitions was reasonable. (logical definition | Dictionary.com)

Thoughts?
Well i for one cant see an occasion when you could distinguish one decision from another..reasoned is using logic to arrive at an answer.Reasonable could be i suppose when you use logic and think it too harsh a choice but thats using logic..Logic arrives at a reasonable reply..Sorry they are entwined in logic.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:31 am
@the greek guy,
No difference...I trust logic comes from logos, rational comes from ratio, and reason like reality comes form res, which means thing; matter... The process is not always identical but the object is always the same, which is the shared point with religion, religio, to tie back, or finding truth through ritual, which is to say by invokation of a certain spirit...It is the spirit of truth which is the object of logic, reason, and philosophy..
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 01:25 pm
@Fido,
Logic and reason are the same.

The Greek "logos" became "ratio" in Latin; ratio became "raison" in French which gives us the English word reason. As far as I know, "res" has nothing to do with reason.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:08 pm
@the greek guy,
May be true, and is where we get our word reality... It is easy enough to do with words like Johson suggesting nincompoop came from incompositus, or the obvious hocus pocus from the latin Hoc es corpus, and my favorite, Lent, the season from Anglo/Saxon word for length, when the days were growing in length. My ears are terrible...I cannot rely on them in conversations..I hate the telephone... But playing at trying to learn Greek just to read Greek I will be sounding out words common to English and Greek following the Greek sounds and suddenly understand what I am saying... It is cool... but I do love it, and I wish I had time for it.. Words are knowledge and concepts in one respect, but words are also history...There is a reason half our words have latin roots...There is a reason more people speak English on this planet than any other single language...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:18 pm
@Fido,
English is so dominant primarily due to English speaking imperialism and corporate success.

I do agree very much with you regarding the importance of etymology. I started Latin this semester for that very reason.
Fido

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:29 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
English is so dominant primarily due to English speaking imperialism and corporate success.

I do agree very much with you regarding the importance of etymology. I started Latin this semester for that very reason.

I was just looking at a book at the used book store; very inviting, written in Latin on Greek mystery religions, with a lot of fragments of Greek... I was short of time, and did not check the price.. They are high there, but I did get them to knock some off an old Greek/English dictionary recently...
Catchabula

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:35 am
@Fido,
0 Replies

fealsamh

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:21 pm
@the greek guy,
I think that they are basically the same. To come to a conclusion, one would use logic to arrive at a reasonable answer. Or, one would use reason to arrive at a logical conclusion. They seem to be interchangeable.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:36 pm
@fealsamh,
While the words reasonable and logical may be interchangeable, I'm pretty sure the words reason and logic are definitely not. Verbally speaking, logic is a part of reason. Logic is unbiased, reason is biased and defined.
Fido

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:14 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Where do people get their ideas??? Do they get them from the zoo???Do they get them from a schoo??? Do they take from me and you??? Can you tell me true all that reason tells you to... Oh what are we to do???
Catchabula

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:28 am
@Fido,
Trying not to forget our pills? :whistling:
0 Replies

StupidBoy phil

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:13 pm
@the greek guy,
the_greek_guy wrote:

Thoughts?

Actually, generally speaking, when you talk about a logical decision, you're not talking about deduction; you're talking about induction instead. Since 99% of our knowledge is based on induction, using logic is almost never going to be a pure form of deduction; since even when you deduce, your premises are questionable since they're the result of inductive logic. Unless all the universals you're using to deduce from are a priori, part of the whole of the thought process is going to be induction.

Por ejemplo, when I say "that ice cube over there is going to be cold", the actual thought is more like "there is an object a distance away from myself that I perceive to be an ice cube[inductive reasoning: all other objects that provide this set of stimuli have been ice cubes, therefore, this is also an ice cube]. From my experience, ice is always cold [and here's more induction], therefore the ice cube that I perceive will be cold."

Most of that is understood without the need to actually spell it out, I understand that is what is implied in the sentence "that ice cube over there is going to be cold."

The only time you're going to see a purely deductive thought is when the thought is an analytical a priori thought or a composite of synthetical a priori thoughts.

Of course, this has little bearing on your overall question, but I figured since we're talking semantics in the first place, we should be a little more precise in our definitions to avoid any confusion.

In summation, I agree with everyone else, reason and logic are, in a denotative sense in regards to philosophy, the same thing. In a more "common usage" denotative sense, I think you're right, reasonable can be a range of ideas broader than just the "perfect" logical idea. Drawing the line when using the word reasonable is your responsibility, I think, if you're going to be talking to a crowd of philosophers.
0 Replies