Help needed on how to distinguish part of a question, as a claim.

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 12:27 am
Hi.
I wonder if someone would help me out, in showing how a claim made within a question, is indeed a claim.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,834 • Replies: 35
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:03 am
@memester,
memester;106805 wrote:
Hi.
I wonder if someone would help me out, in showing how a claim made within a question, is indeed a claim.

Suppose I ask, "Have you ever wondered why snakes do not have feet?" I am clearly claiming that snakes do not have feet. That is, I am making the claim that snakes do not have feet, and I am asking whether you have ever wondered why that is true.
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:30 am
@kennethamy,
that is , of course, what I think too.
I need to prove that such an assertion is indeed not a question.

---------- Post added 11-29-2009 at 02:37 AM ----------

to give the question that I think contains a claim:
Quote:
If you are not confused then why can't you be more specific?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:41 am
@memester,
memester;106817 wrote:
that is , of course, what I think too.
I need to prove that such an assertion is indeed not a question.

---------- Post added 11-29-2009 at 02:37 AM ----------

to give the question that I think contains a claim:

What assertion are you saying is not a question? No assertions are questions, are they? I thought I had given a question that contains a claim. Didn't I? I think I don't understand what it is you are looking for.
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106821 wrote:
What assertion are you saying is not a question? No assertions are questions, are they? I thought I had given a question that contains a claim. Didn't I? I think I don't understand what it is you are looking for.
You did give an example, and I agree. But that is not proving that there is a claim there. I need to prove that "You can't be more specific", is a claim contained in the question, whereas the questioner says it is a question, not a claim.

so I need to know how to prove that it is a claim.

this question
Quote:
If you are not confused then why can't you be more specific?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:00 am
@memester,
memester;106822 wrote:
You did give an example, and I agree. But that is not proving that there is a claim there. I need to prove that "You can't be more specific", is a claim contained in the question, whereas the questioner says it is a question, not a claim.

Is there some language I am not aware of in terms of which something like that is proved? Isn't it a claim that snakes have no feet? That statement is an assertion, and when I endorse it as true, I am making a claim.

In terms of your example: what you may mean is that the sentence, "you can't be more specific" can be either understood as a question (if asked with an inquiring intonation) so that it could be understood as asking, "can't you be more specific? And that question, "can't you be more specific?" also implies the claim that "you are not specific enough". Since you cannot be more specific unless you were not specific enough. That "you are not specific enough" is clearly something being claimed to be true.
jgweed

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:40 am
@memester,
What about "rhetorical questions" where the answer is assumed in the question?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;106868 wrote:
What about "rhetorical questions" where the answer is assumed in the question?

Yes, like, "How could anyone think that Adam had a belly-button?"
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:47 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106825 wrote:
Is there some language I am not aware of in terms of which something like that is proved? Isn't it a claim that snakes have no feet? That statement is an assertion, and when I endorse it as true, I am making a claim.

In terms of your example: what you may mean is that the sentence, "you can't be more specific" can be either understood as a question (if asked with an inquiring intonation) so that it could be understood as asking, "can't you be more specific? And that question, "can't you be more specific?" also implies the claim that "you are not specific enough". Since you cannot be more specific unless you were not specific enough. That "you are not specific enough" is clearly something being claimed to be true.
From your replies, I'm beginning to think that perhaps it is not a philosophical question that I'm asking you, but instead maybe it's a grammar question.

I agree with what you are saying, but it seems not a proof -at least not the kind of proof that I'm looking for - one which shows through the grammar and sentence structure that there is a claim in there.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:51 am
@memester,
memester;106873 wrote:
From your replies, I'm beginning to think that perhaps it is not a philosophical question that I'm asking you, but instead maybe it's a grammar question.

I agree with what you are saying, but it is not a proof, not the kind of proof I'm looking for that showss through the graamar and sentence structure that there si a claim n there..

Your teacher must have given you an example of what it was he meant. (I hope!). What is the example?
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:10 am
@kennethamy,
it's not a treacher, it is an attacker trying to disrupt my conversation by first demanding definition of the word "area". I say "zone".

the he begins claiming my definition is not specific enough.
then he offers the question I'm asking about here.

I replied telling him to back up his claim that I cannot be specific, and he replies asking if I can prove that his quetion is a claim.

I then ask if he can prove that his clam is not a quetion, and he replies "no".

I then reply that he should answer with proof for his claim that I cannot be more specific.

He shuts up, but I feel that I need to be able to show where a claim is a claim.
Twice this week this has happened; attackers saying that they did not make a claim.

One attacker including some nasty insults in questions..this question here was not a nasty insult, it was just flack being thrown in an attempt to halt my questions .

However, I feel that I should be able to answer in a better way; PROVING that there is a claim in the question
kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:13 am
@memester,
memester;106875 wrote:
it's not a treacher, it is an attacker trying to disrupt my conversation by first demanding definition of one thing, then claiming my definition is not specific enough.
I replied telling him to back up his claim that I cannot be specifric, and he rpllies asking if I can prove that his quetion is a clima. I then ask if he can prove that his clam is not a quetion, he replies "no".

I then reply that he should answer with proof for his claim that I cannot be more specific.

He shuts up, but I feel that I need to be able to show where a claim aia a claim.
twice this week this has happened, attackers saying that they did not make a claim.

The question, "Why do you think that snakes have no feet?" implies, "You think that snakes have no feet", and that I consider proof that the question contains a claim. Why does he not (if he doesn't)?
Including some nasty insults in questions..this one was not a nasty insult, it was juct flack beingh thrown in order to halt my questions .

However, I feel that I should be able to answer in a better way; PROVING that there is a claim in the question

Ask him what he would accept as a proof, and why he does not think that what I wrote is a proof. Why dance to his tune? He just keeps shifting the goal posts.
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
@kennethamy,
I would not dance to his tune. any question I asked, he would demand more definitions and proofs.

However, the idiot aside, I WOULD like to be able to prove where a claim exists ! ( I already know it internally when a claim is being made..formal proof is what I'm looking for)
kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:22 am
@memester,
memester;106877 wrote:
I would not dance to his tune. any question I asked, he would demand more definitions and proofs.

However, the idiot aside, I WOULD like to be able to prove where a claim exists ! ( I already know it internally when a claim is being made..formal proof is what I'm looking for)

Doesn't a claim exist in the question, "Why do you think that snakes have no feet?"? And haven't I proved it by arguing that the question implies the claim, that snakes have no feet?

When he asks for another definition and proof ask him for a definition of the terms, "definition" and, "proof". Obviously he is not arguing seriously, and nothing you say would satisfy him, so why would you engage in such an argument?
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106878 wrote:
Doesn't a claim exist in the question, "Why do you think that snakes have no feet?"? And haven't I proved it by arguing that the question implies the claim, that snakes have no feet?

When he asks for another definition and proof ask him for a definition of the terms, "definition" and, "proof". Obviously he is not arguing seriously, and nothing you say would satisfy him, so why would you engage in such an argument?
A claim does exist in the question "Why do you think that snakes have no feet ?"

Your argument did not prove it though, to my way of thinking. I already argued that, but I am dissatisfied with my argument. I did not use the word "implied", I just stated that the claim exists within the question.

I can ignore such interruptions, but on Dawkins website, I get penalized for not answering.

check out what one has to deal with there. I want to give only solid proofs

I had 8 pages of denial of evolution by the group. I need to be able to show when claim is made, using formal proofs.

RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - how environment - and thus behaviour - changes genetics
ACB

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:13 pm
@memester,
I do not think that the question:

"If you are not confused, then why can't you be more specific?"

contains a claim. The question has several possible answers, including:

1. You are confused, so you can't be more specific.
2. You are not confused, but you can't be more specific as you have insufficient linguistic skill.
3. You are not confused, and you can be more specific but do not wish to be.

So the question allows that:
(a) you may or may not be confused, and
(b) you may or may not be able to be more specific.

Hence it is not claiming (i) that you are confused, nor (ii) that you are not confused, nor (iii) that you can be more specific, nor (iv) that you cannot be more specific. There is nothing else that it could possibly be claiming; therefore, in my view, it is not claiming anything at all.
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:19 pm
@ACB,
isn't the premise of the question based on a claim ?

---------- Post added 11-29-2009 at 02:23 PM ----------

ACB;106895 wrote:
I do not think that the question:

"If you are not confused, then why can't you be more specific?"

contains a claim. The question has several possible answers, including:

1. You are confused, so you can't be more specific.
Supposing I am confused. Does that mean that it is fact, that I cannot be more specific ?

Quote:
2. You are not confused, but you can't be more specific as you have insufficient linguistic skill.
Or perhaps I am sick of that turd and am not playing his game any longer ?

Quote:

3. You are not confused, and you can be more specific but do not wish to be.
yes. correct answer. If I was not specific in the first place. that is another claim with in the question.

Quote:

So the question allows that:
(a) you may or may not be confused, and
(b) you may or may not be able to be more specific.

Hence it is not claiming (i) that you are confused, nor (ii) that you are not confused, nor (iii) that you can be more specific, nor (iv) that you cannot be more specific. There is nothing else that it could possibly be claiming; therefore, in my view, it is not claiming anything at all.
I do not believe that proof lies within possible answers. I believe this is evidenced by the uselessness of the answers, in showing fact or truth.

You had to assume that I was not specific, for your possible answers
ACB

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:25 pm
@memester,
memester;106896 wrote:
isn't the premise of the question based on a claim ?

I would say no, for the reasons I gave in my post. Can you please say what specific claim you think it is based on?
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:28 pm
@ACB,
ACB;106898 wrote:
I would say no, for the reasons I gave in my post. Can you please say what specific claim you think it is based on?
As shown, in order to give your possible answers, you had to accept as true, the claim
1/ that I had not been specific in the first place.
and then proceed to claim
2/ that I could not be specific.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:38 pm
@memester,
memester wrote:

Isn't the claim here that he is confused, rather than that he can't be more specific? He could indeed be more specific, had he not been confused, according to the question. The root is his confusion, with the result being a lack of specificity.

At least that's how I'd interpret it at first glance.