Mark Twain Qutoes...

kdryan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 07:11 am
What are your favorite quotes from Mark Twain? My personal favorite is in my signature, but a close second is from his 'Babies' speech. It probably has something to do with the fact that I have twins myself...

Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- The Babies speech 1879

On abstinence...

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.

On learning...

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

On reading...

The man who will not read a good book has no real advantage over a man who can't read one.

And last, but not least...

If you pick up a dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

I could read Mark Twain a thousand times a day and not get tired of him. Smile

Kevin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 834 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:49 am
@kdryan,
You recognize the philosopher in the common man... I think he was the one who said quiting tobacco is easy; I've done it many times...

I'll have dig it up, from life on the Mississippee about a cerimony held with the Natches (I think) to claim their land for France; and Twain says it was France, with an advantage, because it France without Louis the 13th.
0 Replies