Kierkegaard and Luther Were Wrong!

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:07 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
As you say, this point is routinely dismissed and rationalized by the institutional church. And I think Kierkegaard was on track in highlighting it.

Yep. So you wanna make a thread titled, Kierkegaard was Right! or at the very least, Kierkegaard wasn't Wrong!Laughing

Quote:
There is some justification for taking Jesus' words with a grain of salt. There is some indication, for example, that Jesus was dependent on the generosity of local people that supported his ministry (loaves and fishes stories notwithstanding). Also, it is debatable whether he was truly recommending the ultimate level of self-divestment to all of his contemporaries. And then, we also have to consider whether some of the urgency of the theme was not related to a prevailing apocalyptic atmosphere.

Oh yeah, there's that Christianity as a scholarly excerise attitude. What ever happened to Christianity as a life to be led attitude?

Quote:

All in all, though, I think it is impossible to "believe in Jesus" or "follow Jesus" without agreeing with the premise, "the material world ain't where it's at."

Oh yeah, that's very hard to do. Kierkegaard was pissed at people braging they were Christians, withouh agreeing with that premise. Kierkegaard, on his part, said, I may not be a Christian, but I can show how most of you aren't either!
Dichanthelium

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 08:00 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
Yep. So you wanna make a thread titled, Kierkegaard was Right! or at the very least, Kierkegaard wasn't Wrong!

How about, "Kierkegaard wasn't wrong on the point I had assumed he was wrong about, but I still think Luther was wrong"?

Victor Eremita wrote:
Oh yeah, there's that Christianity as a scholarly excerise attitude. What ever happened to Christianity as a life to be led attitude?

Careful, now, I gave you several specific points that you are leaving unaddressed.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:39 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
How about, "Kierkegaard wasn't wrong on the point I had assumed he was wrong about, but I still think Luther was wrong"?

Won't give that extra inch eh? I would like to get that Luther was wrong clause out, but I don't know a lot enough about Luther to defend him.

Quote:
Careful, now, I gave you several specific points that you are leaving unaddressed.

It doesn't really matter whether I address them or not. Maybe Jesus was acting this way because of the local people's generosity, maybe not. The answer that really matters is whether or not you say "Yes, I will live a Christian life, I will follow Jesus".

Let's think about it this way: You listen to punk rock. You really love the punk rock stars and you love the instruments they use and you'd love to play as they do, etc. However, you do not play the guitar, you play an accordion. You love the punk rock stars, but you idolize someone else, like Soren Kierkegaard. You are happy the way your life is. So, just because you like punk rock, are you living the punk rock life?

So yeah, if you say, oh that punk rock music is being supported by the tobacco companies, you dismiss the lyrics they are singing as too extreme, that punk rock only exists in a prevailing apocalyptic atmosphere etc., you're still not living as a punk rocker. You admire them, and you talk about them, but you will not follow them, you will not live as they do. It's the same with Christianity. You like what Jesus is saying, and how he lives, but if you will not follow him, you're not living the Christian life, just as you're not living the punk rock life, but examining it from a distance, and thus it is merely a scholarly excerise for you.

Sorry if I'm sounding so judgmental, but this is Kierkegaard's style. Laughing
mysterystar

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 05:39 pm
@Dichanthelium,
I defend my break and leap of faith.
only in my vernacular,
to say for rapheal on the 14th
that
to Love
the perfect and the imperfect
and
to see
the prefect and the imperfect
Yourself many not be yourself
and this may not be Perfect
am I wrong
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 06:46 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
My friend kennethamy, who hangs out with me over in the epistemology area sent this observation: "Kierkegaard argued that Christian belief was beyond reason, and that, for example, reason conflicted with virgin birth, or the incarnation, and a host of other doctrines.* The entire Protestant tradition holds this kind of view. Luther said, quoting the Bible said that if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, by which he said was meant that if reason conflicts with faith, reason should be discarded as an instrument of the Devil."

*Kierkegaard, as you know, was the one who recommended the "leap of faith."

My reply was: "Well, Kierkegaard and Luther were wrong on that point, and they helped keep the damage cycle going. And it is not accurate to say that the entire Protestant tradition holds this kind of view. There is a very prominent liberal element within Christianity that focuses on the central message of Christ, rather than church dogma or tradition or prominent figures in church history."

I think this little piece of dialog belongs over here. I contend that the faith that Jesus was recommending to his people was not blind faith nor unreasoning faith, but a faith in the truth of his message, which, upon close examination, is quite worthy of trust and confidence. And if we strip away the church dogma and look at the words attributed to Jesus in the Gospels, we will not find any evidence to support the idea that Biblical faith is naive faith, but rather a faith that says, in effect, "Well, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me. I think the guy was telling the truth."

I'd be interested in rational discourse on this topic.

There are Protestant sects that do not hold this view, but that it is faith, not reason that is the path to belief in God is the main thread of Protestanism.
Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:06 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
It doesn't really matter whether I address them or not. Maybe Jesus was acting this way because of the local people's generosity, maybe not. The answer that really matters is whether or not you say "Yes, I will live a Christian life, I will follow Jesus".

Now, this is just the classic case of begging the question. You take for granted here, the very thing that is under debate. There's no doubt that many, perhaps the majority of people who claim to be Christians, fail to incorporate the essential elements of "following Jesus," and thus are imposters. That observation does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that only the purest among the purists are really leading a Christian life. So, I would say it does indeed matter whether you address the points I raised, if you are interested in debate.
Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
There are Protestant sects that do not hold this view, but that it is faith, not reason that is the path to belief in God is the main thread of Protestanism.

Sounds like a different topic. This discussion is not about the "main thread of Protestantism" whatever you suppose that to be. It's about the essential message of Jesus, and what it means to believe in him.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 04:50 pm
@Dichanthelium,
I didn't say that only the purist of the pure are really Christians. Kierkegaard is not making a positive assertion by saying these people here are really Christians, he is making a negative assertion by saying these people here are not following Jesus.
So, if you will follow Jesus, that's great, that's one necessary step in the right direction! If you say no, then you cannot be following Jesus. (Like the scientific method, if observations contradict hypothesis, then it's false; but if no observations contradict, doesn't mean it's true)

(Also, I'm not too clear what you mean by this argument is begging the question? Are you saying that what Christianity is is what Jesus says it is?)
Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:13 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
I didn't say that only the purist of the pure are really Christians. Kierkegaard is not making a positive assertion by saying these people here are really Christians, he is making a negative assertion by saying these people here are not following Jesus.
So, if you will follow Jesus, that's great, that's one necessary step in the right direction! If you say no, then you cannot be following Jesus. (Like the scientific method, if observations contradict hypothesis, then it's false; but if no observations contradict, doesn't mean it's true)

(Also, I'm not too clear what you mean by this argument is begging the question? Are you saying that what Christianity is is what Jesus says it is?)

I'm just confused about what you understand to be Kiekegaard's perspective. And I don't know Kierkegaard's perspective well enough to make a judgment one way or the other.

One could take a selection of the statements that have been attributed to Jesus, and say, "This is the essence of Christianity." It sounds like you are saying that Kierkegaard's selection was the part that emphasizes Jesus' statement that one should give up all personal possessions. From that perspective, one might argue that anyone who has not done so cannot claim to be a follower of Jesus.

My argument was that this theme must be taken with a grain of salt, and was not clearly intended by Jesus to be a universal prescription. Am I, by taking this direction, making my Christianity an intellectual excercise, rather than truly following Jesus? That is what I understand to be the point under debate.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:35 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
One could take a selection of the statements that have been attributed to Jesus, and say, "This is the essence of Christianity." It sounds like you are saying that Kierkegaard's selection was the part that emphasizes Jesus' statement that one should give up all personal possessions. From that perspective, one might argue that anyone who has not done so cannot claim to be a follower of Jesus.
My argument was that this theme must be taken with a grain of salt, and was not clearly intended by Jesus to be a universal prescription. Am I, by taking this direction, making my Christianity an intellectual excercise, rather than truly following Jesus? That is what I understand to be the point under debate.

Well, I was using Mark 10 as an example. Kierkegaard means that every assertion that Jesus made regarding what it means to follow him is necessary towards becoming a Christian, but it is not sufficient. Mark 10 is necessary to be a Christian, but it (by itself) may not be sufficient to be a Christian.

We can debate what it means to "give away all your worldly possessions"; I might say, yes, he means really give it away; you might say, no, maybe he means only in your heart, what influenced Jesus to say this?. However we can't continue to debate this forever (else Christianity becomes an intellectual excerise). So after what's been said and done so far, what will you do? The most important question, the only question that really matters, at the end of this debate is "Will you give away all your worldly possessions?" Yes? Excellent! Let's move on... what does it mean when Jesus says love thy neighbour... what does it mean when Jesus says move a mountain?... etc.

We can't argue forever, just as we can't argue forever whether or not I should marry her... you either have to marry or not marry her... to be a Christian or not to be a Christian
Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:12 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
Well, I was using Mark 10 as an example. Kierkegaard means that every assertion that Jesus made regarding what it means to follow him is necessary towards becoming a Christian, but it is not sufficient...

The most important question, the only question that really matters, at the end of this debate is "Will you give away all your worldly possessions?" Yes? Excellent! Let's move on... what does it mean when Jesus says love thy neighbour... what does it mean when Jesus says move a mountain?... etc.

Okay, so you are not denying the possibility that Kierkegaard took some things as prescriptive, when a careful interpretation would indicate that they weren't intended as such. For example, when we take any one of the sayings, we have to examine the context and apply an interpretation. Otherwise, I will have to carry a sword around if I want to be a Christian, because he told his disciples to have a sword or two on hand. Similarly, Jesus told someone to give away all his personal possessions. The question is whether he meant that as a prescription to all his followers.

This is not making Christianity an intellectual excercise so much as steering away from undue literalism, naive interpretations, and fundamentalism.

On the other hand, perhaps you are simply saying (I hope not) that Kierkegaard was not concerned with the interpretation of the sayings of Jesus, but that he only thought it was essential for a follower to somehow adopt each and every one of them? A relativistic approach? You see it your way, I see it mine? It doesn't matter so long as we each do something with it?
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 01:11 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
Okay, so you are not denying the possibility that Kierkegaard took some things as prescriptive, when a careful interpretation would indicate that they weren't intended as such. For example, when we take any one of the sayings, we have to examine the context and apply an interpretation. Otherwise, I will have to carry a sword around if I want to be a Christian, because he told his disciples to have a sword or two on hand. Similarly, Jesus told someone to give away all his personal possessions. The question is whether he meant that as a prescription to all his followers.
This is not making Christianity an intellectual excercise so much as steering away from undue literalism, naive interpretations, and fundamentalism.

Exactly. If you wanted to be a Christian, Kierkegaard wouldn't expect you to literally move a mountain by faith alone. But you do have to use your brains and take Jesus' statement seriously.
Quote:
On the other hand, perhaps you are simply saying (I hope not) that Kierkegaard was not concerned with the interpretation of the sayings of Jesus, but that he only thought it was essential for a follower to somehow adopt each and every one of them? A relativistic approach? You see it your way, I see it mine? It doesn't matter so long as we each do something with it?

Here's a few quotes from SK:
Quote:

If God's Word is merely a doctrine, then it is no mirror. An objective
doctrine cannot be called a mirror. It is just as impossible
to look at yourself in a doctrine as to look at yourself in a
wall. And if you want to relate intellectually to God's Word,
there can be no question of looking at yourself in the mirror. It
takes a personality, an I, to look at oneself in a mirror. While
reading God's Word you must incessantly say to yourself: It is I
to whom it is speaking; it is I about whom it is speaking.

Quote:

What must you do to look honestly in the mirror of the Word?
The first requirement is that you must not look at the mirror
but look in the mirror and see yourself. God's Word is indeed
the mirror. But oh how enormously complicated we make it.
How much belongs to God's Word? Which books are authentic?
Are they really written by the apostles, and are the apostles really
trustworthy? As for ways of reading, there are thirty thousand
different ways. And then there is this crowd or rush of scholars
and opinions, and learned opinions and unlearned opinions
about how the particular passage is to be understood. Is it not
true that all this seems to be rather complicated? God's Word is
the mirror - in reading it or hearing it, I am supposed to see
myself in the mirror - but look, this business of the mirror is so
confusing that I very likely never come to see myself.

With the two quotes here, Kierkegaard says the Christian doctrine is not objective, it doesn't try to be objective they way math and science. We're not merely incidentials in Christianity, we must be the subject of focus. The best we can do is to ask what does the Christian doctrine means FOR ME. Though even with this, there are limits of interpretation, it cannot be wholly relativistc; I cannot interpret "give away your worldly possessions" to mean "tell everyone to f**k off, I'm keeping my stuff" or "I'm eating from a toaster".
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:07 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
My friend kennethamy, who hangs out with me over in the epistemology area sent this observation: "Kierkegaard argued that Christian belief was beyond reason, and that, for example, reason conflicted with virgin birth, or the incarnation, and a host of other doctrines.* The entire Protestant tradition holds this kind of view. Luther said, quoting the Bible said that if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, by which he said was meant that if reason conflicts with faith, reason should be discarded as an instrument of the Devil."

*Kierkegaard, as you know, was the one who recommended the "leap of faith."

My reply was: "Well, Kierkegaard and Luther were wrong on that point, and they helped keep the damage cycle going. And it is not accurate to say that the entire Protestant tradition holds this kind of view. There is a very prominent liberal element within Christianity that focuses on the central message of Christ, rather than church dogma or tradition or prominent figures in church history."

I think this little piece of dialog belongs over here. I contend that the faith that Jesus was recommending to his people was not blind faith nor unreasoning faith, but a faith in the truth of his message, which, upon close examination, is quite worthy of trust and confidence. And if we strip away the church dogma and look at the words attributed to Jesus in the Gospels, we will not find any evidence to support the idea that Biblical faith is naive faith, but rather a faith that says, in effect, "Well, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me. I think the guy was telling the truth."

I'd be interested in rational discourse on this topic.

I have no rational discourse to put forward. I just like to refer to the teachings of Jesus as square one. I'll leave it at that.
0 Replies