Is there hope for a fearful world?

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:28 am
Is there hope for a fearful world?

We live in a world gripped by fear. Among all segments of society and all nations of the world, there is a foreboding sense that we are marching toward some cataclysmic consummation of history.

The news is filled with reports of increasing violence - muggings, kidnappings, child abuse, terrorism, wars, and rumors of wars. We seem to be bombarded by an endless stream of natural calamities such as earthquakes, famines, hurricanes, floods, and fires. And the increasing immorality continues to spawn new diseases that threaten Man's very existence.

Significant too is the fact that all these frightful trends are taking place within the context of a world armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons. And to make things worse, these weapons of mass destruction are now spreading to irresponsible outlaw nations like Iran and North Korea. We have giant weapons in the hands of moral pygmies.

All the while, the nations of the world continue on their spending binge, piling debt on debt, preparing the way for a colossal worldwide economic collapse.

The Reality of Fear

In the midst of the Great Depression, President Franklin Roosevelt tried to rally a despondent nation by declaring, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Those words ring hollow today as we face a multiplicity of very real and unprecedented fears.

It is no wonder that people are scared. They are afraid of losing their jobs, their homes, and their life savings. They fear for their personal well-being, the safety of their children, and the security of their nation. They are frightened by the prospect of menacing plagues and the potential for devastating civil disorder. And lurking in the background is always the possibility of nuclear holocaust.

People are desperately searching for security. They are buying guns and securing their houses with electronic devices. They are altering their lifestyles to protect themselves against the violence of muggers and diseases like AIDS.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 511 • Replies: 5
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:03 am
@Alan McDougall,
The plague back in the days whiped most of europe, yet we continue to belive, to exist, to love, to hate ..life goes on.
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 04:49 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140568 wrote:
The plague back in the days whiped most of europe, yet we continue to belive, to exist, to love, to hate ..life goes on.

True but there are many more people today due to the population explosion and we have the capacity to wipe all life from the face of the earth
Krumple

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:19 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I'm not afraid Alan. The way I see it, life is risky, and I have already learned to cope with that risk. So weather it be a car accident or a nuclear bomb that kills me, it is all the same to me. I don't fear these things you point out because to be quite honest, they aren't worth worrying about. I know there are people in other countries that would love to get their hands on a portable nuclear device and detonate it in a large US city if they had the chance. If they could they would but I don't let it stop me from walking down the street.

There are muggings, rapes, and murders for a few pieces of paper in someones pocket. There are gangs who kill people for absolutely no reason just because they were there. I don't let these things stop me from living. I go about my day only concerned for those next victims but I am helpless to prevent it. I can't do anything except voice my opinion. I feel I know who is to blame but no one else shares my opinion.

To be afraid of these things is pointless because death will come for you eventually. So why worry about it? Why not find a way to cope with this truth without putting a strangle hold on your life?
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:44 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;140720 wrote:
I'm not afraid Alan. The way I see it, life is risky, and I have already learned to cope with that risk. So weather it be a car accident or a nuclear bomb that kills me, it is all the same to me. I don't fear these things you point out because to be quite honest, they aren't worth worrying about. I know there are people in other countries that would love to get their hands on a portable nuclear device and detonate it in a large US city if they had the chance. If they could they would but I don't let it stop me from walking down the street.

There are muggings, rapes, and murders for a few pieces of paper in someones pocket. There are gangs who kill people for absolutely no reason just because they were there. I don't let these things stop me from living. I go about my day only concerned for those next victims but I am helpless to prevent it. I can't do anything except voice my opinion. I feel I know who is to blame but no one else shares my opinion.

To be afraid of these things is pointless because death will come for you eventually. So why worry about it? Why not find a way to cope with this truth without putting a strangle hold on your life?

Because one seems remote from the cause of fear and the very remote possibility of such events I mentioned actually happening to us we tend to put it at the back of our minds.

But remember just 65 years ago the world came out of a war where 55 million people died. There has never been a year when there was peace in all the earth.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:31 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;140714 wrote:
True but there are many more people today due to the population explosion and we have the capacity to wipe all life from the face of the earth
Yes? So? You see things in a too sceptical view.
0 Replies