Do you think the entity Satan really exists??

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:37 am
People often say Satan the enemy made me do this or that. Satan is deception, if this entity of ultimate evil really exists then the final outcome of light and darkness still hangs in the balance, I would not like to be alive if this happened and we become ruled by the master of desolating

Is Lucifer Satan , is the devil Satan or are these entities still subject to the will of Gd for some unknown reason or purpose
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,644 • Replies: 10
No top replies

wayne

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:50 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;140200 wrote:
People often say Satan the enemy made me do this or that. Satan is deception, if this entity of ultimate evil really exists then the final outcome of light and darkness still hangs in the balance, I would not like to be alive if this happened and we become ruled by the master of desolating

Is Lucifer Satan , is the devil Satan or are these entities still subject to the will of Gd for some unknown reason or purpose

This is an interesting topic
Solomon advises us to come before god with both hands full, this concept is further described in the relationship of the id and the ego
I become the superego,an product of both the good and the evil within myself.
This leads me to believe that the struggle is within my own being and that placing evil as the third person "Satan" would constitute an attempt to shirk my responsibility.

---------- Post added 03-16-2010 at 03:52 AM ----------

P.S. I really enjoy your thoughts Alan, they are very stimulating to myself
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:18 am
@Alan McDougall,
All just nonsense... Our great enemy is loneliness, and our only hope is in pain; so we invent cosmic imaginary friends like God and Satan so our puny little existence that we must know is doomed will have a little hope and terror to ease our boredom...
0 Replies

Owen phil

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:59 am
@Alan McDougall,

Why do you assume that there is a 'will of god' at all?

All of your claims about your god, need justification.

Can you show that any of your claims about your god are true? ..I don't think that you can.
The same applies to your understanding of 'the devil'.

Could you demonstrate why you believe that God or Satan are entities?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:02 am
@Alan McDougall,

Isaiah 14:12 wrote:

How hast thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer! son of the morning!
It's god's own doing, if there isn't a Hell, then there's no Heaven, then there's no god! To defy the existance of Satan, is the defiance of God.
xris

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 07:03 am
@HexHammer,
There is a capacity for evil and its power can be felt. It appears when men are reduced by their own depravity and greed. Symbolising it by a single entity has the ability to focus our attention on its power.
Twirlip

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:46 am
@xris,
I never use the name "Satan" for an evil power, because it belongs to an Abrahamic discourse to which I am largely still an outsider. I still can't tell whether the real or fictiitious entity named "Satan" is really the ultimate power for evil. The power for absolute evil is something I do sort of believe in, but have I no name for It, other than the obvious "Devil", although I also tend to identify it with the Gnostic term "demiurge" (without sharing all the beliefs of Gnosticism, or even knowing very much about them). But for all I know, "Satan" might be a name for some misunderstood aspect of God, wrongly accused of being the Devil ! (That would be an instance of the unforgivable sin.) I'm trying to keep an open mind, and avoiding the use of the name.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:10 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;140288 wrote:
I never use the name "Satan" for an evil power, because it belongs to an Abrahamic discourse to which I am largely still an outsider. I still can't tell whether the real or fictiitious entity named "Satan" is really the ultimate power for evil. The power for absolute evil is something I do sort of believe in, but have I no name for It, other than the obvious "Devil", although I also tend to identify it with the Gnostic term "demiurge" (without sharing all the beliefs of Gnosticism, or even knowing very much about them). But for all I know, "Satan" might be a name for some misunderstood aspect of God, wrongly accused of being the Devil ! (That would be an instance of the unforgivable sin.) I'm trying to keep an open mind, and avoiding the use of the name.

If we can bright ourselves to believe in the light bringer or God of goodness and love, why cant he, given the duality of creation, believe in an apposing entity of darkness and hate??
prothero

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:41 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;140437 wrote:
If we can bright ourselves to believe in the light bringer or God of goodness and love, why cant he, given the duality of creation, believe in an apposing entity of darkness and hate??
For me god is the rational, ordering, creative principle of reality which brings forth life and value. God does this against chaos and the primordial void (which represents evil, the devil, or satan or whatever other term you wish to apply). Chaos is not a rational, ordered, purposeful force but precisely the absence of those divine traits. For me god struggles and suffers to bring forth value and his creation against chaos and the void. God thus represents the triumph of order, creation and value; expressions of divine love against their absence. The universe is engaged in a never ending process of creative advance to make actual that which is possible in the divine primordial mind (forms or ideals).
That which is good we attribute to god. God is present in the tender elements of the world.

"it matters not if you are a believer or a non believer, it is a wicked thing to deprive men of their hope" Winston Churchill.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:57 pm
@prothero,
prothero;141788 wrote:
For me god is the rational, ordering, creative principle of reality which brings forth life and value. God does this against chaos and the primordial void (which represents evil, the devil, or satan or whatever other term you wish to apply). Chaos is not a rational, ordered, purposeful force but precisely the absence of those divine traits. For me god struggles and suffers to bring forth value and his creation against chaos and the void. God thus represents the triumph of order, creation and value; expressions of divine love against their absence. The universe is engaged in a never ending process of creative advance to make actual that which is possible in the divine primordial mind (forms or ideals).
That which is good we attribute to god. God is present in the tender elements of the world.

"it matters not if you are a believer or a non believer, it is a wicked thing to deprive men of their hope" Winston Churchill.

A really great post, in Genesis God said "And the earth(Universe) was without forrm and the VOID and darkness was upon the face of the deep"
sometime sun

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 02:41 am
@Alan McDougall,
If not i have spent far to much time poking it with a stick.
0 Replies