The many minds alternate universes theory

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:46 am
A while ago I had a vivid dream where there were alternates Alan's sitting in an extremely long row. The nearer Alan's different minutely from me, but as you get further and further from ma (I was in the center) They began to differ more and more from me until finally they became so different they could no longer be considered alternate Alan's I call this dream the million billions of alternate Me's

To solve this difficulty, Albert and Loewer 1988 proposed the Many Minds interpretation (in which the different worlds are only in the minds of sentient beings). In addition to the quantum wave of the Universe, Albert and Loewer postulate that every sentient being has a continuum of minds.

Whenever the quantum wave of the Universe develops into a superposition containing states of a sentient being corresponding to different perceptions, the minds of this sentient being evolve randomly and independently to mental states corresponding to these different states of perception (with probabilities equal to the quantum probabilities for these states).

In particular, whenever a measurement is performed by an observer, the observer's minds develop mental states that correspond to perceptions of the different outcomes, i.e. corresponding to the worlds A or B in our example. Since there is a continuum of minds, there will always be an infinity of minds in any sentient being and the procedure can continue indefinitely.

This resolves the difficulty: each "I" corresponds to one mind and it ends up in a state corresponding to a world with a particular outcome. However, this solution comes at the price of introducing additional structure into the theory, including a genuinely random process.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 7
No top replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:59 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139492 wrote:

This resolves the difficulty: each "I" corresponds to one mind and it ends up in a state corresponding to a world with a particular outcome. However, this solution comes at the price of introducing additional structure into the theory, including a genuinely random process.

I think you feel awe about it, but you really should not be. It is not really "all possible worlds",but rather "all possible worlds as dictated by the wave equation". eg: each world would have to obey QM.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:54 am
@TuringEquivalent,
!ST TRY @<))))

[EMAIL="ViV@WWW"]ViV@WWW[/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

PS $
AMS
##&
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:33 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
it is interest,because i see many of you are so spiritual when seeing the science, while the scientists don`t give a damn. The reason i think is that you know very little of the actual science.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:41 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;139816 wrote:
it is interest,because i see many of you are so spiritual when seeing the science, while the scientists don`t give a damn. The reason i think is that you know very little of the actual science.

To whom is this post directed at?
HexHammer

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
I think what siencetist are trying to describe is ordinary holograms, holograms which are projected, haze fog (english word), and finally the fatamogana.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:01 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139820 wrote:
To whom is this post directed at?

To whoever that may concern.
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 07:22 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139492 wrote:
A while ago I had a vivid dream where there were alternates Alan's sitting in an extremely long row. The nearer Alan's different minutely from me, but as you get further and further from ma (I was in the center) They began to differ more and more from me until finally they became so different they could no longer be considered alternate Alan's I call this dream the million billions of alternate Me's

To solve this difficulty, Albert and Loewer 1988 proposed the Many Minds interpretation (in which the different worlds are only in the minds of sentient beings). In addition to the quantum wave of the Universe, Albert and Loewer postulate that every sentient being has a continuum of minds.

Whenever the quantum wave of the Universe develops into a superposition containing states of a sentient being corresponding to different perceptions, the minds of this sentient being evolve randomly and independently to mental states corresponding to these different states of perception (with probabilities equal to the quantum probabilities for these states).

In particular, whenever a measurement is performed by an observer, the observer's minds develop mental states that correspond to perceptions of the different outcomes, i.e. corresponding to the worlds A or B in our example. Since there is a continuum of minds, there will always be an infinity of minds in any sentient being and the procedure can continue indefinitely.

This concept was explored in a very interesting way in the book "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. One of his characters describes how, when making a decision or planning a course, one person can have many different "models" of the world in his mind at one time. In each of these models, a different course is envisioned along with different outcomes. These different models are actually held in the minds of different versions of one's self. When one chooses which course to follow (like what move to make in a chess game) the other versions become improbable, but then the next move brings another set of parallel minds. One character in the book has actually learned to exist simultaneously in several time lines at once, which has profound effects on the people he is dealing with, as they then perceive the different possibilities in their dreams. See also "The Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula K Le Guinn.
0 Replies