Do you think we get wiser and more knowledgeable as we age

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:23 am
Do you think as we age get wiser and much more knowledgeable as we age? In my case I would say most definitely!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,065 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:25 am
@Alan McDougall,
Yes definately, you wise up as you get older, you're not such a sucker either.
Jebediah

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:57 am
@Caroline,
Up to a certain point you do. Maybe 30.

After that it's hit or miss.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:11 am
@Alan McDougall,
I think you'll consistently gain knowledge, if only in small amounts. "You learn something new everyday!".

But getting wiser? That doesn't seem to be as much of a given. It seems the answer to that would be specific to the individual. There are many unwise people who know a lot.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:39 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;119619 wrote:
Do you think as we age get wiser and much more knowledgeable as we age? In my case I would say most definitely!

And modest too . . . . .
Zetherin

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:52 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;119673 wrote:
And modest too . . . . .

Perhaps you become less modest as you get wiser?

Though I'd think it would be quite the opposite...

:whistling:
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:06 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119677 wrote:
Perhaps you become less modest as you get wiser?

Though I'd think it would be quite the opposite...

:whistling:

I suspect it depends on the level of senile dementia that one is experiencing.
Also, whether we are defining modesty based on clothing choices, or upon
the disbursement of opinion.
Karpowich

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:56 am
@Alan McDougall,
I would agree with Zetherine that you get more knowledgeable, but not wiser. Wisdom is the ability to logically think through events and formulate a sound opinion that encompasses the best possible choice. You could know the most useless facts in the world, but the ability to manipulate those facts and mold them to fit your current dilemma is a skill that not everyone possesses.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:25 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;119693 wrote:
I suspect it depends on the level of senile dementia that one is experiencing.
Also, whether we are defining modesty based on clothing choices, or upon
the disbursement of opinion.

Wisdom comes from learning a lesson, which you will repeat and, and repeat over and over again until you finally get the message and stop falling into the same pit, a sort of Karma
Karpowich

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;122680 wrote:
Wisdom comes from learning a lesson, which you will repeat and, and repeat over and over again until you finally get the message and stop falling into the same pit, a sort of Karma

So you're stating that in order to have true wisdom on a certain subject you have to experience it yourself firsthand? Does enough knowledge on the workings of certain subjects not lead to, at the very least, a minuscule amount of wisdom about that certain subject regardless of the field experience you have pertaining to that topic?
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:37 am
@Karpowich,
Karpowich;122681 wrote:
So you're stating that in order to have true wisdom on a certain subject you have to experience it yourself firsthand? Does enough knowledge on the workings of certain subjects not lead to, at the very least, a minuscule amount of wisdom about that certain subject regardless of the field experience you have pertaining to that topic?

Are you a Rastafarian, how does it fit into Christianity? Haily Salasi (spelling?) is your prophet Smile
0 Replies

Karpowich

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:42 am
@Alan McDougall,
I'm actually a Buddhist, I just respect Bob Marley for the messages in his music and his outlook on life Smile How does what fit into Christianity?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:21 am
@Karpowich,
I don't know, it depends...

One might or might not. Wisdom requires that we not only gain knowledge and experience, but that we can properly place these elements into some context that 'teaches'.

I don't know that many people reflect much on their expriences, and probably even less relate what they've learned to such experiences to widen their perspective. Maybe they do; I don't know. My guess is that everyone does to some extent...

... but as far as a direct correlation to age; I'd say - on the surface - no, not necessarily.

Thanks
bsfree

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:07 pm
@Alan McDougall,
As I've aged I've noticed that less is more, the reverse of when I was a young man.
I think that discarding the effect of how some other people use their knowledge has made me wiser.
The tolerance and understanding of a 50 year old cannot be felt by a 25 year old, but it could be accepted if the youngster were raised by a caring adult.
My own answer to your question would be yes. But I don't think that result is duplicated in more than 20-30% of the 7 billion other inhabitants we share life with.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:47 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;122741 wrote:
I don't know, it depends...

One might or might not. Wisdom requires that we not only gain knowledge and experience, but that we can properly place these elements into some context that 'teaches'.

I don't know that many people reflect much on their expriences, and probably even less relate what they've learned to such experiences to widen their perspective. Maybe they do; I don't know. My guess is that everyone does to some extent...

... but as far as a direct correlation to age; I'd say - on the surface - no, not necessarily.

Thanks

At times we have to look back in shame, but on another occasions we can look back in JOY like I do when I remember the births of my children and grandchildren, indeed a grandchild is an old mans blessing
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:04 am
@bsfree,
bsfree;122910 wrote:
As I've aged I've noticed that less is more, the reverse of when I was a young man.
I think that discarding the effect of how some other people use their knowledge has made me wiser.
The tolerance and understanding of a 50 year old cannot be felt by a 25 year old, but it could be accepted if the youngster were raised by a caring adult.
My own answer to your question would be yes. But I don't think that result is duplicated in more than 20-30% of the 7 billion other inhabitants we share life with.

I'm way more stupider now at close to 50 then when I were a young'un.
Also, I'm less tolerant.
It's a bad combination, and troubles me deeply.
0 Replies

bsfree

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:25 am
@Alan McDougall,
I don't agree with you TickTock. I've seen some of questions you ask, and don't feel you would have asked them as a "young'un". I also feel your tolerance is greater than you seem to think, because an intolerant man would not entertain some of the answers you get, and keep rejoining the conversations.
Unless your post was a jest, I think, whether you like it or not, your "growing potential" is engaged, just like so many others here.
Be well.
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:51 am
@bsfree,
bsfree;123033 wrote:
an intolerant man would not entertain some of the answers you get, and keep rejoining the conversations.

Yes, but a stoopid one might.
0 Replies

bsfree

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:59 am
@Alan McDougall,
Thanks for the chuckle!
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 07:28 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;119619 wrote:
I would say it's like a hill, you start low, top at the middle, then end on a low again.

I often see confused senior citizen, which comprehension are severly compromized, and desition taking is based on nonsens.

Ofcause there exist elders who have an intact mind.

My statemen is not siencetific.