Time travel and travel in Duty Cycle suspended animation

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:37 am
The manipulation of time PERCEPTION is an idea I have speculated on in the past, simply speaking you are asleep or dead (in magnetic suspended animation) for long periods of time, interspaced with extremely short flashes of lucid consciousness as you cross the vastness of the universe.

To you the spaceman, the journey might seem only a year or so in duration when in fact it took a billion years to get to your destination in some far away galaxy. Sadly you can never return home
Above comments by Alan

Death and Time Traveling
Duty Cycle time travel

Perhaps the most fascinating way to travel though spacetime involves using duty cycles. Although natural biological life-forms cannot take advantage of duty-cycle time traveling, (I DONT SEE WHY NOT!) it will apply itself best to cybernetic forms of life. The term "duty cycle" comes from electrical engineering terminology. (No, it does not mean Howdy Doody's bicycle.)

A duty cycle represents a periodic ratio of on and off states. Usually duty cycles get represented as square waves or rectangular pulses. If you've ever operated your microwave oven at 50% power, or adjusted the thermostat on your air-conditioner, you'd realize that they operate by turning on for a period of time and off for a period of time. Microwaves, stepper motors, power drills, as well as many computer controlled devices use duty cycle power controls.

An example graph of a 50% duty cycle showing 5 on-states looks like the following:
http://www.nobeliefs.com/death%26timetravel/DutyCycle1.gif

Now that you understand duty cycles, imagine a cybernetic space-traveler that controls its own duty cycle to match the aims of its voyage. Since it utilizes electrical circuits, sensors, and software for its intelligence, it can switch its "brain" on and off almost instantly.

The on-state part of the duty cycle represents the conscious state and the off-state as the time suspended (death) state similar to our human based thought experiment.

Important to the concept, you should understand that the off-state part of the duty cycle would remain off for extremely long periods of time, perhaps hundreds or thousands of years, while each on-state may last only a second or a fraction of a second.

However, since only the on-states get perceived, conscious time would appear seamless to the time-traveler. The duty cycle from the perspective of an outside observer for the spacetime voyager might look like this:
http://www.nobeliefs.com/death%26timetravel/DutyCycle2.gif

Interesting a new take on this vexing topic, what do you guys think?

Alan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,894 • Replies: 5
No top replies

xris

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:34 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;76946 wrote:
The manipulation of time PERCEPTION is an idea I have speculated on in the past, simply speaking you are asleep or dead (in magnetic suspended animation) for long periods of time, interspaced with extremely short flashes of lucid consciousness as you cross the vastness of the universe.

To you the spaceman, the journey might seem only a year or so in duration when in fact it took a billion years to get to your destination in some far away galaxy. Sadly you can never return home
Above comments by Alan

Death and Time Traveling
Duty Cycle time travel

Perhaps the most fascinating way to travel though spacetime involves using duty cycles. Although natural biological life-forms cannot take advantage of duty-cycle time traveling, (I DONT SEE WHY NOT!) it will apply itself best to cybernetic forms of life. The term "duty cycle" comes from electrical engineering terminology. (No, it does not mean Howdy Doody's bicycle.)

A duty cycle represents a periodic ratio of on and off states. Usually duty cycles get represented as square waves or rectangular pulses. If you've ever operated your microwave oven at 50% power, or adjusted the thermostat on your air-conditioner, you'd realize that they operate by turning on for a period of time and off for a period of time. Microwaves, stepper motors, power drills, as well as many computer controlled devices use duty cycle power controls.

An example graph of a 50% duty cycle showing 5 on-states looks like the following:
http://www.nobeliefs.com/death%26timetravel/DutyCycle1.gif

Now that you understand duty cycles, imagine a cybernetic space-traveler that controls its own duty cycle to match the aims of its voyage. Since it utilizes electrical circuits, sensors, and software for its intelligence, it can switch its "brain" on and off almost instantly.

The on-state part of the duty cycle represents the conscious state and the off-state as the time suspended (death) state similar to our human based thought experiment.

Important to the concept, you should understand that the off-state part of the duty cycle would remain off for extremely long periods of time, perhaps hundreds or thousands of years, while each on-state may last only a second or a fraction of a second.

However, since only the on-states get perceived, conscious time would appear seamless to the time-traveler. The duty cycle from the perspective of an outside observer for the spacetime voyager might look like this:
http://www.nobeliefs.com/death%26timetravel/DutyCycle2.gif

Interesting a new take on this vexing topic, what do you guys think?

Alan
I think i know you well enough and you me, for me to ask what the hell are you on about? Is this my physical body you want to turn off and on for thousands of years.I was really good at hibernating as a teenager but not that good.xris
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:23 pm
@xris,
xris;77061 wrote:
I think i know you well enough and you me, for me to ask what the hell are you on about? Is this my physical body you want to turn off and on for thousands of years.I was really good at hibernating as a teenager but not that good.xris

Not your body xris but maybe some very distant spaceman. The present astronauts take huge risks in getting blasted off the earth on top of an enormous potential bomb and some of them have been killed because of it.

There are always risk takers are there not xris?

The energy stored in the Saturn 5 Rocket was equivalent to a small atom bomb so someone is going to travel in my on-offffffffffffffffffff-on-ffffffffffffffffff space vehicle.

Have you ever been anaesthetised xis,? one moment you are looking at the Doctor the next you wake up with no subjective time in between.To do this a few thousand times spread over thousands of years as one travels through the universe is far fetched but by no means impossible.

You and I are already time travellers albeit at the normal rate, we sleep and remember almost nothing about that period , we awaken and we remember much more in the waking state. If I think back on my life all I really remember are the times I was awake.

Even blinking our eyes we think sight is a continuous process but it is really made up of short blinks and slightly longer eye open states

Read this look at this line and observe yourself blinking xris

Even the incandescent light is an illusions due to the alternating current that powers and heats up the filament. Use a high speed film in a room and one will observe stages of dark and light.

It just follows that day and night is a similar illusion , we remember the days but forget the nights

All I suggested was a sort of manipulation of of the way life cycles naturally in on off cycles
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 01:21 pm
@Alan McDougall,
An essay by me relating to time

Time manipulation and the twin paradox

Nothing is really as it seems to be and all events are subjective to the observer. There is no absolute time, time moves differently from one object to the next and from one location to the next.

For example, time moves slower on massive objects like the Sun or Jupiter or a neutron star and faster on smaller objects like our Earth.

This is no longer a theory, but proven fact. Extremely accurate precision atomic clocks on fast moving spacecraft and aeroplanes have detected this strange phenomenon and proved Einstein's theory of relativity to be true.

Stop all the clocks in the universe and movement will continue unaffected.

Stop all movement and the illusion we call time will stop and nothing ever happen again. (At absolute zero nothing happens)

As an object approached the speed of light it becomes more and dense and its gravity increases towards infinity, it distorts the fabric of spacetime and time slows on the object, when compared to its former stationary state it left at its source world.

Let said object equate to a spaceship if you like.

Time is much like an elastic string which can only be stretched in one direction namely; into the future. The twin paradox describes what happens.

Twins; one boards a spacecraft that accelerates to near light speed, on say a voyage to Alpha Centauri, some four light years from earth.

The other remained on the home planet patiently waiting his spaceman brother to return.

Twenty years later the bother who went to Alpha Centauri returns having aged only "one subjective year" because time has moved slower for him, "relative" to his home brother who remained on the home planet who has aged much faster, this brother might be fifty years old while his spaceman twin brother has aged only one years and is only thirty one years old on his return

Why and how did this ageing difference happen?, why was the one brother now twenty years younger than his brother?. "Note; this can and will really happen if we develop near light speed space vehicles"

A year of subjective time has passed for the spaceman brother, compared to twenty subjective years his brother has lived.

His brother on the home planet has aged twenty times faster than his spacemen brother a 1/20 ratio in fact The spaceman brother was 30 years of age when he left the home planet and returned having aged only one year according to the clock and calendar set up in the space vehicle, thus he is subjectively 31 years of age on his return

The earth bound twin brother was also 30 years of when his brother blasted off but he has aged 20 years and is 50 years of age when his astonished brother sees him again.

One twin is a young 31 years of age and the other a middle aged man of fifty

An enigmatic paradox but absolutely true and real. One exciting, but far distant use of this effect is the real possibility of reaching nearly any moment in the future. Given enough speed and colossal enormous energy, one could reach the Olympic Games of the year CE 3108, in a matter of a few subjective days or even return a million years later only older by maybe a decade or so etc.

Backward times travel to the past, is a fantasy and if this were possible, a person could do the impossible and go back and murder their younger self.

There is no universal now! Events are simply there, hanging in space-time Time cannot exist without space and space cannot exist without time.

We only conceive of time by the movement of an object through space, so space and time are different realities of the same thing and can only exist where movement is allowed.

For example, stop all movement in the universe and you have stopped time, have you not? Therefore, there is really only one reality all bond up into and combined into what I call "spacetimemovement."

There is simply no universal now and each moment is unique to its location and observer

Alan McDougall 29/8/2007

http://christianmystersim.yolasite.com/
validity

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 04:15 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Hello Alan,

While your essay makes no mention of Einstein or relativity it is in the philosophy of science forum so I am compelled to comment on what I see as philosophical and scientific errors.

Nothing is really as it seems to be - what even your essay?

For example, time moves slower on massive objects like the Sun or Jupiter or a neutron star and faster on smaller objects like our Earth. - very misleading. It is only when comparing the rate of time between different masses does it appear that time is passing at different rates. It is not 1950 on the sun.

This is no longer a theory, but proven fact - this requires substantiation

Stop all the clocks in the universe and movement will continue unaffected. - confusing, any movement can be used as a time keeping device. By stopping all clocks you are stopping all movement.

As an object approached the speed of light it becomes more and dense and its gravity increases towards infinity, it distorts the fabric of spacetime and time slows on the object, when compared to its former stationary state it left at its source world. - this is an example of what I am highlighting in the time moves slower on massive objects like the Sun or Jupiter or a neutron star and faster on smaller objects like our Earth. You are now admitting it is only through comparison the time rate appears different. Also the object becoming more dense is relative also ie only by comparison.

There is simply no universal now and each moment is unique to its location and observer - is not each unique moment the same as the idea of now? What is the difference between now and each unique moment?
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 06:34 pm
@validity,
9.3 The Special Theory of Relativity

[URL="javascript:maxWindow('einstein_clerk_big.jpg',%20'Albert%20Einstein%20Photo',%20543,%20600)"] http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/einstein_clerk.jpg [/URL]
  • While working in the Swiss Patent Office, Albert Einstein (1879-1955) developed what is now known as the Special Theory of Relativity, published in 1905.

Einstein began with the experimental observation that light always has the same speed, and developed a number of unusual consequences:

1. http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/length_contraction.gifThe faster an object moves, the shorter it becomes.

This length contraction is given by

http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/length_contraction_equation.gif .

The Lorentz factor

http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/lorentz_factor.gif

is equal to 1 when the object isn't moving (v = 0) and approaches infinity as the object accelerates towards the speed of light (v -> c).
  2. http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/time_dilation.gifThe faster a clock moves, the slower it runs.

In other words, events in a moving system take longer to occur from the perspective of a system at rest.

This time dilation is given by

http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/time_dilation_equation.gif .

In the picture on the right, the stopwatch in motion measures a five-second event, while the stopwatch at rest has seen 6 seconds pass.
  3. The faster an object moves, the more massive it becomes.

This mass increase is given by

http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/09.light_relativity/mass_increase_equation.gif .

Question: how might one measure this mass increase?

An important consequence of mass increase is a violation of the principle of conservation of mass.
  4. Mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

In addition to the violation of mass conservation above, it can be shown that conservation of energy is violated, i.e. the energy you put into accelerating an object doesn't all show up as the object's energy.

But both the missing energy and the increased mass can be explained if you allow mass to be a form of energy, according to the following relation:

E = mc2

Note that, because c is so large, mass is a very, very concentrated form of energy.

This generalized principle of conservation of mass + energy has profound consequences, as we will see later.
  5. Nothing can travel faster than light.

If you are accelerating an object towards the speed of light, its mass increases without bound, making it harder and harder to increase its speed.

As a consequence, a massive object must always travel at less than the speed of light.

Since light itself travels at the speed of light, it must have no mass!
  6. Newton's Laws of Motion are approximations to Special Relativity that are applicable only at low speeds.

In other words, Special Relativity is a generalization of Newton's Laws of Motion.

In practice, one must be traveling faster than ~0.1c (30,000 Km/s!) to observe these special relativistic effects.

Nevertheless, with sensitive experimental equipment such as atomic clocks, the predictions of Special Relativity have been verified to high precision.
0 Replies