Will our messing with evolution finally put God to rest?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 11:59 am
@Alan McDougall,
Aedes wrote:
If there is a God, then tinkering with our genome is one of the variables he has allowed us to change in this world. And we will thus need to contend with his moral sensibilities.

Unless one believes in a "God" which transcends morality. I'm not quite sure why this personification of "God" is so evident in theism. "He" applied to the "It", and the "He" containing human qualities. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think "It" (God) has any moral sensibilities. It makes more sense to me, if there is some force which created us, it can transcend our human foibles and morality.

On topic: The notion of "God" will not be "put to rest". Mysticism has evolved with the human race despite advances, and though the practices have varied era to era, culture to culture, it has never been "put to rest". What this genetic engineering will do is change our conception of "Nature" -- what is "Natural". A scientist (of a video I posted a few weeks ago), believes we are on the brink of a new species. We are transforming from Homo sapians into Homo evolutis:

"Hominids that take direct and deliberate control over the evolution of their species and others"

The new conception of "Nature" comes in when we consider: Is our direct and deliberate control over the evolution of our (and other) species not natural? If it's not, what facets of this world will still preserve "naturality" after we get done? It seems we will begin to realize nature is just an application of those things which we don't have power over. The more power we have (just wait until we can control weather patterns, at least in controlled environments), the less we think it natural.

It's certainly an interesting time to be alive. We currently can regrow nearly every body part in the human body, we can engineer bacteria to perform other functions, and we've made some extraordinary developments in A.I. I can't imagine what's next. But, no matter what's next, spirituality, in my opinion, will never be extinguished.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 12:59 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
Two points. First, you are probably aware of the logic fallacy known as "composition" where one assumes because the parts and/or makeup of something has been discovered/explained that the whole something has been accounted for. So, for example, someone might assume because a car is entirely mechanical parts, a car is wholly explained by mechanical principles. But a purely mechanistic accounting of a car leaves out what designed and organized the thing, so composition alone isn't always a complete explanation. " Similarly, just because we can explain how life works, and manipulate it, doesn't mean we've accounted how it got organized like that in the first place; it seems to me we still need an organizing force to explain the origin of life (and though many disagree, the organization behind the evolution of multicellular and, especially, CNS life forms)".

"Secondly, why must "evolution" be limited to physical evolution? Possibly with humans another type of evolution has been/is occurring. I have postulated in writings, for example, that individuals like the Buddha, Jesus, Kabir, Nanak, et al are evolutionary harbingers", the first of a new breed of human emerging like the first kernels of popcorn appearing in a big popper. On the scale of evolution, the last 3000 or so years such individuals been "popping up" is a mere speck on the time scale of evolution, and evolution does takes its sweet time. It also makes sense we'd misinterpret these evolutionary forerunners at every turn, since we'd be interpreting their new, evolved state of consciousness using our usual mental frame of reference. So different do they seem to us we deify them, worship them, make up myths to explain why they are different; but really they've just moved into a new realm of consciousness we are all headed for . . . just maybe Smile

I am sorry that I did not respond to your post earlier, but I read it carefully. The print I changed to red in your post is just what I have being trying to convey, that just maybe there is some intelligence directing evolution of life and the macro evolution of the universe. Your suggested organizing force is my Intelligent Designer (but this is off topic)

Has human consciousness reached its pinnacle, with the event of the age of the Internet, supercomputer and maybe the almost infinitely powerful quantum computer, and instant communication , turning the whole world into one tiny village

Heck guys we are now friends right here on this great forum each of us are looking at our monitor and for all purposed communicating from all parts of the globe, and learning from each other, it that not the budding of a superhuman consciousness are we becoming our own God, (no disrespect meant)

Can immature humanity handle the great responsibility of becoming its own Saviour and own group mind god?

It beats me why we cant think or an organizer as you suggested without offending science.

Back to the topic of humanity manipulating DNA , what you state about Buddha and Jesus and their like is very interesting . What really promoted me to start this thread was the real possibility of human consciousness evolving to the level where it can dictate its own future and evolution.

My research has led me to understand that human evolution has stagnated for the past 150 thousands years, could this mean we are ready for extinction, or will evolution carry on with our species? resulting in the emergence of Homo -Superior

Or will we human decide what Homo Superior should be and rush our evolution to greater heights or mistaken destruction?

What will Homo-Superior do with Homo Sapient? The story of Neanderthal man and emergence of Homo -Sapient repeated?

Some people talk of Indigo children , born with exceptional intellects and abilities that is simply beyond the normal folk to respond to or resonate with.. They are said to live in a world inscrutable to most of the rest of us

Peace

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 01:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
If you are omnipotent, then there is no discrepancy between desire and actuality.

True but what god desires is for people to act freely. That is the actuality.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 01:56 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
I think genetic engineering of the human could be very dangerous.
Of course it could. And aside from the fact that I disagree that we will ever be able to make designer babies (because most gene-trait relationships are far too complicated), I do agree that as with any powerful technology we need to constantly ask what we should do and not just what we can do.

Alan McDougall wrote:
Hitler was a fan of the philosopher Nietzsche as I am sure you know
But the problem with Hitler is that he grossly misread Nietzsche. Nietzsche was a moral philosopher, and his superman was someone who transcended the moral dogmas of judeochristian culture. Hitler also grossly scorned Christian morality, but that was a technical idea of Hitler's (he scorned charity for the weak, compassion, etc).

Alan McDougall wrote:
he also based much of his super- white Aryan race on Darwinian evolution and he went to great efforts to prove that his ideal of a blue eyed blond German was the real super- race and the rest of us were subhuman or worse.
It was more some of his cronies like Albert Rosenberg and Heinrich Himmler who idealized that prototypical Aryan. But yes, many people feel that Hitler and Himmler (who was the chief architect of the Holocaust) had a Darwinian rationale.

That said, Hitler's program was fundamentally NOT about the ideal Aryan race. His practices were WAY too inconsistent to support that (even to the point of conscripting hated Slavs into the Wermacht).

Hitler's regime first and foremost hated Jews, and this is evident from his speeches going back to 1919, from his writing going back to Mein Kampf, from their entire propaganda effort. In fact the Soviets idealized the 'worker' more than the Nazis ever idealized the 'Aryan'. The rationale for exterminating Jews was never to purify the Aryan gene pool -- it was because the Jews were continually blamed for being vermin, plagues, parasites, spreaders of disease, betrayers of humanity, responsible for both world wars, etc. Even until 1945 the Germans were going to diplomatic lengths to import Jews from occupied countries to bring to their death camps.

But this is my point -- that they culled out their undesirables by just herding them and killing them. You want to change a population, that's one way of doing it quickly -- they killed 25% of the populations of Poland and Belarus, 90% of Eastern Europe's Jews, all told 12-15 million people, and the vast majority were in a matter of 3 1/2 years (June 1941 when they invaded Russia through January 1945 when they fled from Poland).

Alan McDougall wrote:
If I had lived in Germany at the time, the SS Nazis would have knocked on my parents front door and removed me
As they did to all 4 of my grandparents and their families in Poland and Hungary, who were Jews.

Alan McDougall wrote:
I know this is a little off topic , but is it not just a crude method of genetic engineering?
That was exactly my point. It's a much more efficient way for a cruel state to genetically change a population to simply round them up and kill or expel them, than it is to fiddle with DNA on a population scale and see what happens. And that's why I think the gun, the gas chamber, and the ghetto are much more likely and much more potentially devastating tools of a 'racial' war than is a genetics lab.

Alan McDougall wrote:
Think what a monster like him could have done with genetic engineering, he could have sterilized genitally all those he considered weak and useless and enhanced those he considered strong etc.
He DID try to sterilize people. But they couldn't find a way to do it efficiently enough, so he just decided to kill them in the end. Part of this is because when the Germans invaded Poland in 1939, they all of a sudden found themselves with 3 million Polish Jews in their custody compared with only a couple hundred thousand who hadn't fled Germany yet by the beginning of the war. And millions more from Russia entered their "possession" after June 1941. They decided on an expedient solution -- mass shootings and extermination camps. It was practical. They regarded Jews as 'vermin' (a common descriptor among the Nazis for them).

Alan McDougall wrote:
Genetic manipulation has a much greater potential for evil in a depraved persons control and of course the reverse in a person of righteous character.
But my argument is that it's so much harder to implement than more conventional kinds of butchery, and takes so much more time. I don't see a way in which it becomes state policy to forcibly and en masse:

1) extract eggs and sperm from millions of people
2) fertilize them in vitro
3) reimplant them into women
4) ensure that the women don't sabotage these manipulated pregnancies
5) ensure that these manipulated children are cared for as the state wants
6) ensure that these children after 1-2 generations have grown up as expected

It's just too much, too expensive, too time consuming. It's not going to happen on a population scale like that.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Zetherin wrote:
Unless one believes in a "God" which transcends morality.
By transcending morality you mean he is not concerned with it? How many practicing Christians, Jews, or Muslims do you think would believe in that? I mean the foundational documents of these religions show that God is not a disinterested party.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

True but what god desires is for people to act freely. That is the actuality.
It's a logical conundrum. How can he want us to act a particular way, yet also want us to act freely? How can he be all powerful but let something transpire that he does not want?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 03:14 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Aedes wrote:
By transcending morality you mean he is not concerned with it? How many practicing Christians, Jews, or Muslims do you think would believe in that? I mean the foundational documents of these religions show that God is not a disinterested party.

First, I want it to be abundantly clear I'm not commenting on any major religious notions of "God". You're correct, the "God" depicted in the religions you list does make moral judgments.

My comment, however, was an attempt for you to acknowledge there are other spiritual systems which do not carry the same 'moral weight'; there are some who may believe in a "God" which is fundamentally different than the religions you mention. For some of these people, there is no "he". And "It" cannot be interested or disinterested. "It" doesn't apply judgment, "It" transcends feelings, thought, morality, and all human foibles... "It" just is. In other words, there is no traditional personification of the notion, and the individual realizes whatever "Force" may have created us doesn't necessarily have to be like us.

This is where my thoughts have led me in contemplating "God".
Aedes

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 07:06 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;59801 wrote:
My comment, however, was an attempt for you to acknowledge there are other spiritual systems which do not carry the same 'moral weight'; there are some who may believe in a "God" which is fundamentally different than the religions you mention.
I am unaware of a theistic system either in history or modernity in which morality isn't vested in either God, spiritual forces (including in nature), or some kind of metaphysical structure (like karma).

At any rate, if there are contemporary spiritual traditions that invoke an amoral god, it's without question an example of where modern philosophy has influenced spirituality.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 05:47 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I am unaware of a theistic system either in history or modernity in which morality isn't vested in either God, spiritual forces (including in nature), or some kind of metaphysical structure (like karma).

At any rate, if there are contemporary spiritual traditions that invoke an amoral god, it's without question an example of where modern philosophy has influenced spirituality.

I agree Paul the religion of Satanism, is just an example

Paul could you have a peek at the Intelligent Design thread, I need your informed input there!

(not my thread My case for an Intelligent Designer)

Peace
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 07:55 am
@avatar6v7,

My comments as regards scince had nothing to do with so called 'emotional bias' but rather the point that scince, . . .

Thank you for the further clarification, avatar6v7. I am yet not quite convinced, nevertheless, that 'a few,' or even 'some,' might have been a much better choice of wording, than the word 'many.' (unless it can be supported by statistical evidence)

Without any intent towards illwill, and with all due respect, I reason that using the word 'many' in that manner, had probably been due more so to emotion, than hard data on hand; that's all. I ask for your understanding here, please.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 09:52 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin wrote:
Thank you for the further clarification, avatar6v7. I am yet not quite convinced, nevertheless, that 'a few,' or even 'some,' might have been a much better choice of wording, than the word 'many.' (unless it can be supported by statistical evidence)

Without any intent towards illwill, and with all due respect, I reason that using the word 'many' in that manner, had probably been due more so to emotion, than hard data on hand; that's all. I ask for your understanding here, please.

Your polite response is much appreciated by me, even though I am on outsider in this two way communication Smile

Peace

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Aedes Paul,

I just want to commend you on a really great informed response to my previous thread which you took the time and effort to cover each point or argument of mine fully. Smile

I did not respond at first, because you put me to bed, so to speak with your detailed response

From a person like you we can move on and learn from each other instead of throwing stones, like sadly some still do.
Peace
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 11:19 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

Mysticism has continually evolved throughout humanity's existence, and I don't expect it will ever stop evolving.

A "God" that is not personified and does not carry with "It" our sense of morality, is what makes the most sense to me. I, personally, don't believe in any objective morality, and if I were to say I was alone in coming to this, I'd think I'd be jumping the gun, as I've had discussions with others who share these sentiments. Shall I call it a "system"? Probably not, but then again, I care not what is popularized. My contemplation is definitely influenced by all I read and write (I suppose, then, "modern philosophy").

I fear we're getting off-topic now. Let me stop my rambling.

Alan,

The religion Satanism is not an example. Some theist satanists actually consider Satan to be benevolent. People read "satan" and immediately assume "evil". Have you ever read any of the Satanist texts? You'd be surprised, my friend: Many of the parts I read used sound reason and had a moral basis. I always hear this misconception spread around, and am surprised many presumptuously assume all of satanism is this "evil" cult (...which there are strands that are an "evil" cult, but we shouldn't generalize. And whether they're any more "evil" than many of the Christian cults I've come across, is debatable.)

Also, just for clarification, one can believe in an amoral "God" and still have morals.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Mysticism has continually evolved throughout humanity's existence, and I don't expect it will ever stop evolving.

A "God" that is not personified and does not carry with "It" our sense of morality, is what makes the most sense to me. I, personally, don't believe in any objective morality, and if I were to say I was alone in coming to this, I'd think I'd be jumping the gun, as I've had discussions with others who share these sentiments. Shall I call it a "system"? Probably not, but then again, I care not what is popularized. My contemplation is definitely influenced by all I read and write (I suppose, then, "modern philosophy").

I fear we're getting off-topic now. Let me stop my rambling.

Alan,

The religion Satanism is not an example. Some theist satanists actually consider Satan to be benevolent. People read "satan" and immediately assume "evil". Have you ever read any of the Satanist texts? You'd be surprised, my friend: Many of the parts I read used sound reason and had a moral basis. I always hear this misconception spread around, and am surprised many presumptuously assume all of satanism is this "evil" cult (...which there are strands that are an "evil" cult, but we shouldn't generalize. And whether they're any more "evil" than many of the Christian cults I've come across, is debatable.)

Also, just for clarification, one can believe in an amoral "God" and still have morals.

Hi, I am aware that Satanism varies, benign worship earthmother worship and shamanistic healing etc. I was referring to the more sinister malevolent Satanistic cultism, where unspeakable acts of depravity are said to happen. Paul, I think was referring to the base morals of these people.

Christianity sadly has an almost equal history of hideous acts done in the name of a so called benevolent god.

And all the rest in my opinion could be put in the same box!

If there is a god I am sure he is both amused and horrified by humanities ridiculous religions

To me my own morality is subjective based on my own innate hopefully good moral conscience. What is the measure of that, Draw a oil painting of your life, with all the dark, greys, lights. colors and shadows, at the end of your life what would the complete portrait look like.?

I really think that most of us will be very satisfied with our life portrait and hopefully leave a good positive legacy for our children and grandchildren etc

I little off topic, but maybe we should allow the thread to meander where it wants to go

Peace
0 Replies

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 02:44 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin wrote:

Thanks for the clarification- as to the accuracy of the 'many' I will admit freely that I have no vastly detailed knowledge of the subject, but I assure you that eugenics, before world war two, was acceptable enough to be made law in nearly every single western country with the exception of Roman Catholic ones (a point in the RC churchs favour btw) and this was only possible because eugenics had good press, had lots of supporters in government and a scintific community that backed it.
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 06:16 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;59780 wrote:
Your suggested organizing force is my Intelligent Designer (but this is off topic)

Personally I can enjoy discussing the possibility of a conscious universe using any terms someone might want to apply. My only reason for sometimes staying away from terms like "intelligent design," or "designer" in my own posts is to try to avoid stirring up people's preconceived notions (usually religiously inspired).

Has human consciousness reached its pinnacle, with the event of the age of the Internet, supercomputer and maybe the almost infinitely powerful quantum computer, and instant communication , turning the whole world into one tiny village.

I can't see how the development of modern technology is any different sort of consciousness than that of the ancients. There is abundant evidence they had the same intellectual abilities as modern humans, it's just they lacked the knowledge of reality we now have.

It beats me why we cant think or an organizer as you suggested without offending science.

We can, quite easily. However, not offending people who assume science is the only avenue to knowledge, who insist every proposal be subject to scientific proof, and who also (normally) demand all explanations be physical/mechanical -- well, that's a whole other story. In other words, there is a BIG difference between "science" and the epistemological or ontological beliefs some people infer from science.

If I were to model the universe with consciousness being part of its development, I would make sure the model did not contradict anything we know to be true about the nature of the universe; that is, the model would have account for physics and all else we've observed. No contradiction would be allowed and, in fact, any proposal for this consciousness that conflicted with what science has proven true would disqualify the proposal.

Back to the topic of humanity manipulating DNA , what you state about Buddha and Jesus and their like is very interesting . . . will evolution carry on with our species? resulting in the emergence of Homo -Superior . . . What will Homo-Superior do with Homo Sapient? The story of Neanderthal man and emergence of Homo -Sapient repeated?

If the Buddha, Jesus et al are evolutionary forerunners, then we already have evidence of how they will treat humanity. Their evolutionary advance appears to be one of consciousness, not physical evolution; further, for the first time it appears one evolves through self effort. So these new "homo-superiors" (in this model) teach the means for evolving one's own consciousness.
KaseiJin

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:38 am
@LWSleeth,
I can quite well agree about the several problems that this idealism called 'eugenics' back in the early to mid-twentieth century (not that long ago, huh...wow) had had. I do think that we will probably find that eugenics, in bulk of its history at that time especially, is better defined as a philosophy--although it had built upon some scientific theories and understandings.

My concern from page two of this thread, however (and I believe it can be understood) is that the original sentence I had quoted there, had been in simple present tense, and had not been a part of the example which later appeared in that context. This very much had given it the effect of a blanket statement towards the field of science at large.

Leaving that as it is, however, in order to get back on track with the theme, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to firstly give a definition/description to/of god; in order to more accurately determine if our present understanding will have, or soon should put that notion to rest?

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 06:52 am
@KaseiJin,
You can call eugenics a philosophy- indeed that is the accurate definition of what it is. But at the time, and this brings me back to my original point, it was presented as the scientific consensus.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 07:49 am
@KaseiJin,
Hi,

I thought about starting a new thread, but maybe this will fit in here, it is about the evolution of the human consciousness in light of the exponential grown in computers and knowledge etc The coming virtual human group mind and when this happens will there still be a place for god in our societies

Japanese Supercomputer Achieves 10% of Human Brain Capacity

It has been estimated (Kurzweil) that our brains can calculate at 10 petaflops per second, based on the number of neurons and the average number of connections per neuron.

By 2010, a single large computer would have the raw capacity of one of our brains. Organizing the data and software will lag behind by another decade or so.
Web service centers like Google or Amazon or Ebay or multi-player games will likely have similar computing capacities as well, but have 100's of millions of humans (ie. us) shaping their soon-to-be superhuman intelligence every minute with every click.

What is the memory capacity of the human brain? | Michael Phillips Blog

For $1,000, many people will be able to own an extra brain by 2017. (I think it will cost less comment Alan)

"The human brain contains about 50 billion to 200 billion neurons
(nobody knows how many for sure), each of which interfaces with 1,000
to 100,000 other neurons through 100 trillion (10 14) to 10
quadrillion (10 16) synaptic junctions.

Each synapse possesses a
variable firing threshold which is reduced as the neuron is repeatedly
activated. If we assume that the firing threshold at each synapse can
assume 256 distinguishable levels, and if we suppose that there are
20,000 shared synapses per neuron (10,000 per neuron), then the total
information storage capacity of the synapses in the cortex would be of
the order of 500 to 1,000 terabytes. (Of course, if the brain's
storage of information takes place at a molecular level, then I would
be afraid to hazard a guess regarding how many bytes can be stored in
the brain. One estimate has placed it at about 3.6 X 10 19 bytes. 3.60 000 000 000 000 000 000 0

Researching Pop Culture Some people have estimated that the storage capacity of the human brain is functionally infinite- that is, we can essentially always find room to store more information if we want to, so no practical limit exists. A more principled lower estimate might be made using the numbers above. Let's assume that a change in any connection strength between two connected neurons is equal to one bit of information and further assume (a huge over-simplification) that neural connections have just two possible strengths (like a bit in a computer, which is either 1 or 0). Then each neuron has 'write' access to 1000 bits of information, or about 1 kilobyte. So we have 100 billion (number of neurons) X 1 K of storage capacity, or 100 billion K. That's about 100 million megabytes. Since in fact neural connections are not two-state but multi-state and since neuron bodies can also change their properties and thereby store information, this is a very low estimate, so you can see why some people have estimated it to be functionally infinite.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0134.html?

By 2030, going to a web site will mean entering a full immersion [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Virtual%20Reality')"]virtual reality[/URL] environment. In addition to encompassing all of the senses, these shared environments can include [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Emotion')"]emotion[/URL]al overlays as the [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Nanobot')"]nanobot[/URL]s will be capable of triggering the neurological correlates of [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Emotion')"]emotion[/URL]s, sexual pleasure, and other derivatives of our sensory [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Experience')"]experience[/URL] and mental reactions

My comments below

The evolution of human consciousness in light of the super and quantum computer.

The possible switching states of the human brain is almost infinite, think about a game of chess the possible moves and counter moves are in the billions , our brains nearly infinite, by somehow connection all human consciousness into one colossal pool , would we lose our humanity? would religion become a thing of the past?and god removed from human society as some sort of opioid of the masses?

Peace

0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 08:54 am
@Alan McDougall,
I appreciate the backup information there. I wonder what position you might have towards what might be considered 'god,' and how our better known-to-be-more-likely-true-than-not understanding of the makeup of living things might, or might not put that idea to rest?
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 09:55 am
@KaseiJin,
The evolution of the human consciousness by the exponential growth of computers. We might live in a virtual reality and be able to download our consciousness into a computer base. Would this group mind have any need for god or religion?

Alan

Japanese Supercomputer Achieves 10% of Human Brain Capacity

It has been estimated (Kurzweil) that our brains can calculate at 10 petaflops per second, based on the number of neurons and the average number of connections per neuron.

By 2010, a single large computer would have the raw capacity of one of our brains. Organizing the data and software will lag behind by another decade or so.
Web service centers like Google or Amazon or EBay or multi-player games will likely have similar computing capacities as well, but have 100's of millions of humans (ie. us) shaping their soon-to-be superhuman intelligence every minute with every click.

What is the memory capacity of the human brain? | Michael Phillips Blog

For $1,000, many people will be able to own an extra brain by 2017.

"The human brain contains about 50 billion to 200 billion neurons
(nobody knows how many for sure), each of which interfaces with 1,000
to 100,000 other neurons through 100 trillion (10 14) to 10
quadrillion (10 16) synaptic junctions. Each synapse possesses a
variable firing threshold which is reduced as the neuron is repeatedly
activated. If we assume that the firing threshold at each synapse can
assume 256 distinguishable levels, and if we suppose that there are
20,000 shared synapses per neuron (10,000 per neuron), then the total
information storage capacity of the synapses in the cortex would be of
the order of 500 to 1,000 terabytes. (Of course, if the brain's
storage of information takes place at a molecular level, then I would
be afraid to hazard a guess regarding how many bytes can be stored in
the brain. One estimate has placed it at about 3.6 X 10 19 bytes.
Researching Pop Culture Some people have estimated that the storage capacity of the human brain is functionally infinite- that is, we can essentially always find room to store more information if we want to, so no practical limit exists. A more principled lower estimate might be made using the numbers above. Let's assume that a change in any connection strength between two connected neurons is equal to one bit of information and further assume (a huge over-simplification) that neural connections have just two possible strengths (like a bit in a computer, which is either 1 or 0). Then each neuron has 'write' access to 1000 bits of information, or about 1 kilobyte. So we have 100 billion (number of neurons) X 1 K of storage capacity, or 100 billion K. That's about 100 million megabytes. Since in fact neural connections are not two-state but multi-state and since neuron bodies can also change their properties and thereby store information, this is a very low estimate, so you can see why some people have estimated it to be functionally infinite.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0134.html?

By 2030, going to a web site will mean entering a full immersion [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Virtual%20Reality')"]virtual reality[/URL] environment. In addition to encompassing all of the senses, these shared environments can include [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Emotion')"]emotion[/URL]al overlays as the [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Nanobot')"]nanobot[/URL]s will be capable of triggering the neurological correlates of [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Emotion')"]emotion[/URL]s, sexual pleasure, and other derivatives of our sensory [URL="javascript:loadBrain('Experience')"]experience[/URL] and mental reactions

The evolution of human consciousness in light of the super and quantum computer? Will we look nothing like we do now in the year 2100?
Alan

0 Replies

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:49 am
@KaseiJin,
It seems to me that like everything humanity has ever discovered, it will clear some things up but make everything else more complicated and ultimatly remain open to interpretation preety much up until we die and find out. Or don't.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:06 pm
@avatar6v7,
It seems to me that like everything humanity has ever discovered, it will clear some things up but make everything else more complicated and ultimatly remain open to interpretation preety much up until we die and find out. Or don't.

With the coming of the super computers, quantum computers, human with the aid of a very advanced internet could drive human consciousness far beyond our present perception

We might become less than a small village . and become a colossal group mind, similar to the matrix movie but live in a vertual world where we could interact with anyone else at the speed of light or greater when the quantum computer reaches maturity and is perfected

The human brain is calculated to have a capacity of about 10 tetra bytes, Japanese scientist are busy constructing a super computer to equal the human brain capacity, they already have a supercomputer with a 5 tetra byte memory .

This is what can be uploaded into the CPU memory, not stored separately stored on a hard drive
0 Replies