The mystical Copenhagen Interpretation

metacristi

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:58 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;65904 wrote:
The Copenhagen Interpretation gives back to humanity what the 'Age of Enlightenment' has taken away from them.
Even though the Copenhagen Interpretation does not say anything about consciousness it opened a door for mystical interpretations.
'The observer' being a central issue of the theory, the universe can be interpreted as something that only exists if there is a conscious mind observing it.
The western society has been thirsting for an idea like that.
I see two major insults coming from the age of enlightenment that had to be compensated:
First the copernican principle literally kicked humans out of the center of the universe.
Historians sometimes talk about a copernican shock.
Second the Darwinian evolutionory theory which showed humans how close to apes (and other animals) they actually are.
These two factors plus being left behind in a universe without god created a vacuum that has been waiting to be filled somehow.
The Copenhagen Interpretation turned out to be perfect for that.
If the world only exists when there is an observer, it puts us back into the center of the universe.
We are not only part of the universe, we are even creating it by our observation. The existence of the universe even depends on us.
This idea is filling the gap of meaninglessness.
No matter how much truth lies in this concept: It is clear why it has been welcomed with a warm embrace.

Some shortomings of the original interpretation have been solved by neo-Copenhagenism + decoherence (the macro world may play a key role in quantum measurement, no central role for consciousness; of course at this moment we are far from having strong evidence). But the positivistic approach is still with us (Copenhagenism hardly proposes an ontology) and history of Science showed us plenty that positivism is not exactly the best methodology to achieve breakthroughs...
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 06:13 pm
@Exebeche,
I don't think the issue is that Copenhagen proposes an ontology so much as it calls into question the materialist ontology...doesn't it?

As it happens I am at a conference where there is a lot being spoken about 'quantum mysticism'. I have heard two lectures by Amit Goswami, who is a bit of a guru in these matters. He actually is an emeritus professor of physics and has written the standard text on QM as still studied today. He has since undergone something of a spiritual transformation and is (I suppose) a leading 'new age' speaker. I have discussed him a bit with others on this forum. There is an opinion that his is really a pseudo-science. I don't know actually - he comes across as very sane, sincere and coherent. I still don't know if I understand his main point about quantum indeterminacy, however I am very familiar with Indian philosophy, and what he is saying makes complete sense in that context. And if, as seems the case, the pure physicalist or materialist ontology has been undermined by QM - and I am sure it has - then I am starting to think that, unless I start hearing a better alternative, this so-called 'Quantum Mystical' approach that was first proposed in the Tao of Physics, is likely to have considerable truth in it. We don't really have any coherent alternatives. I think the physicalist intepretation has really lost all credibility, particular in that at certain points it can only invoke the 'multiple universes' argument. (Ockham must be rotating in his grave at the speed approaching that of a pulsar.)

On the other hand, I am still very sceptical as well. Part of me wants science to be science, and spiritual philosophy to be spiritual philosophy, and not to combine them. There is doubtless a lot of hash being spoken here about quantum this and quantum that. I really don't want to join the Oprah Consciousness Movement:bigsmile:.
Whoever

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:12 pm
@jeeprs,
After years of research I'm not even slightly sceptical. It is simply impossible that QM can be a good theory if Buddhism's theory of emptiness is a bad one. This latter is more consistent with physics today that it ever has been in the past. I suspect that within fifty years at most physics will have recognised that mysticism is not its opponent but its other half, just as some of the quantum pioneers proposed.
0 Replies

metacristi

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:58 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;99541 wrote:
I don't think the issue is that Copenhagen proposes an ontology so much as it calls into question the materialist ontology...doesn't it?

As it happens I am at a conference where there is a lot being spoken about 'quantum mysticism'. I have heard two lectures by Amit Goswami, who is a bit of a guru in these matters. He actually is an emeritus professor of physics and has written the standard text on QM as still studied today. He has since undergone something of a spiritual transformation and is (I suppose) a leading 'new age' speaker. I have discussed him a bit with others on this forum. There is an opinion that his is really a pseudo-science. I don't know actually - he comes across as very sane, sincere and coherent. I still don't know if I understand his main point about quantum indeterminacy, however I am very familiar with Indian philosophy, and what he is saying makes complete sense in that context. And if, as seems the case, the pure physicalist or materialist ontology has been undermined by QM - and I am sure it has - then I am starting to think that, unless I start hearing a better alternative, this so-called 'Quantum Mystical' approach that was first proposed in the Tao of Physics, is likely to have considerable truth in it. We don't really have any coherent alternatives. I think the physicalist intepretation has really lost all credibility, particular in that at certain points it can only invoke the 'multiple universes' argument. (Ockham must be rotating in his grave at the speed approaching that of a pulsar.)

On the other hand, I am still very sceptical as well. Part of me wants science to be science, and spiritual philosophy to be spiritual philosophy, and not to combine them. There is doubtless a lot of hash being spoken here about quantum this and quantum that. I really don't want to join the Oprah Consciousness Movement:bigsmile:.

QM does not really undermine 'the pure physicalist or materialist ontology' (some idealist interpretations are compatible with it at limit but this is another thing); for example realism is still safe (even copenhagenism is still compatible with it in spite of a certain degree of tension) although the quantum reality is rather 'veiled' (to quote d'Espagnat): in fact we can at most talk of an 'observer influenced Reality' not of an 'observer created Reality'. And quantum entanglement is no evidence (at this time) that minds are somehow interconnected. No one rational claim that 'quantum mysticism' cannot enrich Science in non trivial ways but at this time such a hypothesis is (way) too strong (being at most a philosophical hypothesis). Rational skepticism (for there are pseudo-skeptics closed to new ideas) is always the best option when dealing with controversial hypotheses.

It seems to me what is called for is an exquisite balance between two conflicting needs: the most skeptical scrutiny of all hypotheses that are served up to us and at the same time a great openness to new ideas. If you are only skeptical, then no new ideas make it through to you. You never learn anything new. You become a crotchety old person convinced that nonsense is ruling the world. (There is, of course, much data to support you.) On the other hand, if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of sceptical sense in you, then you cannot distinguish useful ideas from the worthless ones. If all ideas have equal validity then you are lost, because then, it seems to me, no ideas have any validity at all. - Carl Sagan, "The Burden of Skepticism", Pasadena lecture, 1987
Whoever

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 03:45 am
@metacristi,
How wonderful it would be if the physics community approached mysticism with an attitude of rational scepticism. I look forward to the day.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 10:35 am
@richrf,
Rich, sorry for late reply. I was... busy for a while. :bigsmile:

richrf;81527 wrote:
Everything we are talking about is opinion, speculation, and creative imagination.

All I'm saying is if you're going to use phrases like 'force of consciousness' in a discussion, they should be clearly defined so that readers know what you're talking about, otherwise you're in danger of just coining phrases that sound good but don't mean anything. That holds whether you're discussing your own opinion or something more widely accepted.

richrf;81527 wrote:
Everyone, every statement, every reference that you disagree with you dismiss. Of course, you have your own opinions and speculations just like everyone else. However, I prefer those authors who offer it up as such.

It is not just my opinion that the sentence 'physicists are midgets' is untrue. Likewise that the sentence 'physicists conform to orthodox physics'. Of course, most physicists will work within one framework or another (you can't just sit around until you think of a new theory and expect to be productive, or get paid), and many will argue that theirs is the correct framework, but there are a lot of frameworks and I think you'll find very few are resistent to new ones.

richrf;81527 wrote:
If you want to read someone who disagrees, may I refer you to d'Espagnat or Bell. Bell seems to support Bohm and de Broglie:

While the founding fathers agonized over the question 'particle' or 'wave', de Broglie in 1925 proposed the obvious answer 'particle' and 'wave'. Is it not clear from the smallness of the scintillation on the screen that we have to do with a particle? And is it not clear, from the diffraction and interference patterns, that the motion of the particle is directed by a wave? De Broglie showed in detail how the motion of a particle, passing through just one of two holes in screen, could be influenced by waves propagating through both holes. And so influenced that the particle does not go where the waves cancel out, but is attracted to where they cooperate. This idea seems to me so natural and simple, to resolve the wave-particle dilemma in such a clear and ordinary way, that it is a great mystery to me that it was so generally ignored.
  • "Six Possible Worlds of Quantum Mechanics" (1986), included in Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics (1987), p. 191

This seems to be in perfect agreement with my position, even down to the line "This idea seems to me so natural and simple..." that a particle is a wave.

richrf;81527 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your opinions with me. I enjoy reading and hearing all points of view. I do prefer those presentations that present all viewpoints in an unbiased manner.

I'm glad. I tried to explain best I could. Not sure my points ever really hit the mark. By my lack of inclination to subscribe to a particular interpretation of QM, I'm about as unbiased as they come. That doesn't mean 'anything goes' though. Smile
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 02:54 pm
@Exebeche,
Hey Bones - Rich hasn't been around lately either. Since the last posts on this thread I went to the Science and Nonduality conference in California, where, among other speakers, were Amit Goswami. Of course there was a lot of talk on 'quantum this' and 'quantum that'. Amit wants us all to be 'quantum activists'.

Anyway, being an arts graduate, I really have a lot of trouble understanding the mathematical side of the subject and I certainly didn't understand a lot of what was said at gthe conference. But I want to make 2 points: first is that whatever else is the case, I think quantum theory definitely undermines the claims of classical materialism. I think I can say that without fear of contradiction.

The second is, I got the name of a researcher called Nassim Haramein, whose paper won an award at a scientific conference recently. I have only just re-discovered his name, courtesy of another post on this Forum, but again I don't have enough technical skills to really judge his work. But you might.

The Resonance Project :: Best Paper Award
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 03:45 pm
@Exebeche,
After a brief scan, the author appears to be attempting to make a case for modelling the strong interaction between protons as a gravitational force, supposing protons to be particles on the verge of collapse into mini black holes whose additional mass density (to create an Schwarzschild radius equal to the proton effective radius) comes from the vacuum energy.

The notion of particles being, becoming, behaving like or containing black holes has been around a while and may have some credence. There's some interesting research around the possibility that particle decay (e.g. muon -> electron + others) is a process of collapse to a black hole followed by the black hole radiating its mass away as other particles. Which is intriguing. Other papers (e.g. the preon papers) take cosmological features to be fundamental particle properties also.

However, this paper has a reputation. It has not, to my knowledge, been published in a real physical journal, nor has any other paper by Haramein. The conference is not one that is known within the physical sciences community, and, while I am underqualified to judge its value (relativity and particle physics, while of interest to me, are not my area of expertise), those physicists who are qualified appear to deride it as meaningless nonsense or, at best, pure numerology.

I'd certainly recommend reading around the paper and its reception before tackling the paper outright, though mathematically it is quite light.

Bones
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
@Exebeche,
thanks Bones! I will look into him a bit more. Intuitively it rings true for me. (And my suspicion is that if there are to be big breakthroughs on the nature of physical reality, they will come from an outsider, so the fact that he is regarded as such does not actually discourage me.)
Bones-O

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 06:04 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;111023 wrote:
thanks Bones! I will look into him a bit more. Intuitively it rings true for me. (And my suspicion is that if there are to be big breakthroughs on the nature of physical reality, they will come from an outsider, so the fact that he is regarded as such does not actually discourage me.)

One aside on this, however: The value cited as the vacuum energy density is the theoretical value derived from quantum field theory and not the actual value which is 120 orders of magnitude smaller and cannot make up the available mass-energy to satisfy the Schwarzschild condition. It seems rather daft imho to use this value to find a cosmological successor to quantum chromodynamics which is... a quantum field theory!
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 06:41 pm
@Exebeche,
Well, obviosly that is not something I can pass judgement on, but he does have a blog....

Besides, while nobody can say exactly what is going to turn out to be at the bottom of the 'new paradigm' that seems to be emerging, it is going to seem very strange indeed, I suspect.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 10:11 pm
@Exebeche,
Looking into it a little, it seems many think that Nassim Harrieman is bogus, and his entry was deleted from Wikipedia because he was deemed to be insufficiently note-worthy to include and is not on staff at any real institute..... I also note there was a thread about him on this forum a few months ago, where I have added a note, claiming that he has been 'debunked'.

I have an open mind on him at this time. As I said before, just because someone is a maverick or an outsider with no institutional affliliation is not an automatic reason to discredit them. But I am not going to accept it on face value, either. If anyone does have any reliable third-party analysis, I would like to know.

---------- Post added 12-14-2009 at 04:28 PM ----------

actually, I am beginning to think it is actually a NRM (new religious movement)....sigh....
0 Replies