The Utility of Religious Delusion

hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:00 pm
The goodness or badness of religion is being hotly debated in current intellectual circles. The following are examples of the arguments you usually hear: 1. religion is the cause of most of the world's problems; 2. people need religion in order to be good people; 3. religion is irrational, and based on superstition, fear, and the emotional need for transcendence. Out of these three examples, I only agree with number three. I do believe that debating about the logical consequences of religious beliefs is a meaningful debate, but honesty needs to be on both sides of the argument. The secular need to be honest about the fact that there is good within many religions, and that different religious beliefs have different logical consequences. The religious need to be honest about the fact that there is the potential for bad within religion, and this potential has manifested itself enough times to be honest about it's presence. The religious also need to drop the people need God to be moral argument, because 1. that has no bearing on the authenticity of their beliefs, and 2. that can be proven to be evidently false because most secularists, like most religious people, are relatively good people.

What needs to be mentioned, at this point, is the utility of religious beliefs. Why do people strongly believe in unjustified beliefs? What are the emotional underpinnings that drive this form of self-delusion? I think that it is quite clear that religious beliefs serve as a coping mechanism for human suffering and discontent with reality. It's utility is strong in the sense that it presents answers to problems that are as untrue as they are easy. How easy is it for you to say that you'll see a dead loved one in an afterlife, or that your personality and bodily form will survive upon death, while a naturalist atheist has to approach the problem from a realistic and contemplative point of view? All religions, including the less corrupted mystic religions, are emotionally underpinned by fear and appeasement, which is evident due to religion's habit of applying human-like, intentional properties to the functions of nature and the universe. How frightening is it when man realizes the absurd nature of the universe in relation to himself; when he realizes that the universe doesn't only not revolve around him, but that the universe doesn't care about him at all? These emotional needs are religion's utility.

With all of that in mind, we should now ask ourselves why and if we should settle for delusion in the face of these metaphysical, philosophical problems? Do we need to delude our vision of reality in order to deal with its more unfortunate properties? I, of course, believe that the answer is no, but I would like to know what some of you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:18 pm
@hue-man,
I think your interpretation of religion is clouded due to your skewed perception of the subject.

For example: Religious belief is unjustified? Whether or not you find the justifications convincing is another matter: there exists a multitude of tomes specifically justifying religious belief. Thus, it is false to generalize that religious belief is unjustified.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:35 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I think your interpretation of religion is clouded due to your skewed perception of the subject.

For example: Religious belief is unjustified? Whether or not you find the justifications convincing is another matter: there exists a multitude of tomes specifically justifying religious belief. Thus, it is false to generalize that religious belief is unjustified.

You know me and you have been through this before, Didymos,. I think that you would like for me to just love religion with all of my heart, without criticizing it's negative aspects and it's irrational beliefs about reality. Religious mysticism provides a lot of leg room for someone such as yourself, and that's fine, but intellectual honesty is a virtue. With all due respect, I think you're interpretation of religion stems from your skewed perspective of reality.

Now what do I mean by unjustified beliefs? By unjustified beliefs, I mean believing in a proposition that cannot be verified by empirical observation or logical decidability. For example, it is unjustified for me to believe that an invisible green leprechaun is sitting on my shoulder and instructing me to write these words. Why is it unjustified; because it is unverifiable by it's own terms. Now is it logical or rational for me to believe that an invisible leprechaun is sitting on my shoulder; clearly not. Now I know that you will try and put a mystic spin on religious beliefs, but those are also unjustified when they are perceived as reality. The justification of religion can only come in the form of studying religion as fiction.

I would appreciate if you directly answer my question. Do you think we need religious supernaturalism or mysticism to deal with the unfortunate aspects of reality and our condition?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:57 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I think that you would like for me to just love religion with all of my heart, without criticizing it's negative aspects and it's irrational beliefs about reality.

It is odd that you find my perception of reality skewed when you state that I do not want you criticizing the negative aspects of religion even though I can be found criticizing negative aspects of religion.

You have concocted a perception of me, as an individual, that is derived from you preconceived notions of religious people instead of being derived from anything I have actually typed. My criticisms of religion are, for you, forgotten as you form a picture of me that matches your expectations - what you expect of someone who defends religion against particular criticisms.

hue-man wrote:
The justification of religion can only come in the form of studying religion as fiction.

Aha!

Are you unfamiliar with Higher Criticism? The founders of this discipline were religious men - theologians.

This is what i mean by skewed perception of the subject. You write as if religious material has never been studied as fiction. In reality, the study of religious material as fiction is ancient. Man has long studied mythology (religious material) as fiction, and in the 1850's theologians began studying the Bible in such a way.

But these facts do not enter your consideration of the subject.

hue-man wrote:
I would appreciate if you directly answer my question. Do you think we need religious supernaturalism or mysticism to deal with the unfortunate aspects of reality and our condition?

Religious? No. I do not think "supernaturalism" is at all necessary.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 02:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
It is odd that you find my perception of reality skewed when you state that I do not want you criticizing the negative aspects of religion even though I can be found criticizing negative aspects of religion.

You have concocted a perception of me, as an individual, that is derived from you preconceived notions of religious people instead of being derived from anything I have actually typed. My criticisms of religion are, for you, forgotten as you form a picture of me that matches your expectations - what you expect of someone who defends religion against particular criticisms.

I've actually formed my perception of you from past experience. I really don't expect the same thing from all religious people, as I know how obscure religious beliefs can be. I know enough religious or quasi-religious people to know that they respond differently. You've also seemed to form a perception of me as a clouded atheist who loathes religion and religious people, and that's not the case. You may have criticized negative aspects of religion before, but I can't mention a negative aspect of religion without you apologizing for it, and so I have formed a perception of you, not all religious people, but you, as a professional apologetic. I may be wrong, but it's the impression you give me.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Aha!

Are you unfamiliar with Higher Criticism? The founders of this discipline were religious men - theologians.

This is what i mean by skewed perception of the subject. You write as if religious material has never been studied as fiction. In reality, the study of religious material as fiction is ancient. Man has long studied mythology (religious material) as fiction, and in the 1850's theologians began studying the Bible in such a way.

But these facts do not enter your consideration of the subject.

I think that you read me with such a critical eye that you are bound to misunderstand me. I didn't say that people have never read and studied religion as fiction. I know that plenty of people have and do study religion this way. In fact, I'm one of them, but of course I study and read religious mythology from a secular point of view. Like I said, reading religion this way can be justified as long as it doesn't transform into a mystical view of reality. I'm talking about the more common views of religious study and practice that are unjustified.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Religious? No. I do not think "supernaturalism" is at all necessary.

I didn't just say supernaturalism. I also said mysticism. Do you think that a mystical view of reality is necessary in order to deal with the unfortunate aspects of reality?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 02:36 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I've actually formed my perception of you from past experience.

Then where on earth do you get the idea that I want you to "love religion" even though I have never said such a thing? Even though I have said that people need not be religious - that atheism is great and in no way wrong as compared to theism.

hue-man wrote:
You've also seemed to form a perception of me as a clouded atheist who loathes religion and religious people, and that's not the case.

You are right: that's not the case. However, notice that you have imagined I have taken a particular view of you even though I have not taken that view nor ever said that is what i think of you. I think you do have a clouded view of religion, but I do not think you loathe religion, much less religious people.

hue-man wrote:
You may have criticized negative aspects of religion before, but I can't mention a negative aspect of religion without you apologizing for it, and so I have formed a perception of you, not all religious people, but you, as a professional apologetic. I may be wrong, but it's the impression you give me.

You cannot mention a negative aspect of religion without me apologizing for it? I beg to differ. For example, you might criticize fundamentalism - I'd join you.

hue-man wrote:
I think that you read me with such a critical eye that you are bound to misunderstand me. I didn't say that people have never read and studied religion as fiction. I know that plenty of people have and do study religion this way. In fact, I'm one of them, but of course I study and read religious mythology from a secular point of view. Like I said, reading religion this way can be justified as long as it doesn't transform into a mystical view of reality. I'm talking about the more common views of religious study and practice that are unjustified.

In other words: what you typed is not what you meant.

This is a common problem: the source of many of our disagreements.

Instead of noting that a problem is often found in religion you generalize about all religion. This is a mistake. Earlier you spoke of intellectual honesty as a virtue: avoiding false generalizations is an aspect of intellectual honesty.

hue-man wrote:
I didn't just say supernaturalism. I also said mysticism. Do you think that a mystical view of reality is necessary in order to deal with the unfortunate aspects of reality?

No.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 02:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Then where on earth do you get the idea that I want you to "love religion" even though I have never said such a thing? Even though I have said that people need not be religious - that atheism is great and in no way wrong as compared to theism.

You've never said that to me.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
You are right: that's not the case. However, notice that you have imagined I have taken a particular view of you even though I have not taken that view nor ever said that is what i think of you. I think you do have a clouded view of religion, but I do not think you loathe religion, much less religious people.

How is my view of religion clouded when I just said that studying religion can be justified if it's taken as fictional accounts and not applied to the nature of reality? Are you saying that my view of religion is clouded merely because I disagree with the claims and being religious?

Didymos Thomas wrote:
You cannot mention a negative aspect of religion without me apologizing for it? I beg to differ. For example, you might criticize fundamentalism - I'd join you.

If by fundamentalism you mean believing that Jesus walked on water, died on a cross for man's sins, arose from the dead, and will be returning to earth for Armageddon, then let's bash em . . . lol.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
In other words: what you typed is not what you meant.

This is a common problem: the source of many of our disagreements.

Instead of noting that a problem is often found in religion you generalize about all religion. This is a mistake. Earlier you spoke of intellectual honesty as a virtue: avoiding false generalizations is an aspect of intellectual honesty.

I believe I said that religious beliefs are unjustified. Religious beliefs are either underpinned by theistic supernaturalism or metaphysical mysticism, and both views of reality are skewed perspectives.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 02:54 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
You've never said that to me.

Nor have I ever said to you that you should love religion.

hue-man wrote:
How is my view of religion clouded when I just said that studying religion can be justified if it's taken as fictional accounts and not applied to the nature of reality? Are you saying that my view of religion is clouded merely because I disagree with the claims and being religious?

No: I'm saying your view of religion is clouded because you persist in making false generalizations. It may be that you do not believe the false generalizations you type, in which case your delivery is confused, not necessarily your understanding.

hue-man wrote:
If by fundamentalism you mean believing that Jesus walked on water, died on a cross for man's sins, arose from the dead, and will be returning to earth for Armageddon, then let's bash em . . . lol.

Heh, well, I'm not so into "bashing" as I am concerned criticism.

hue-man wrote:
I believe I said that religious beliefs are unjustified. Religious beliefs are either underpinned by theistic supernaturalism or metaphysical mysticism, and both views of reality are skewed perspectives.

You said that religious beliefs are unjustified, then you said that religious belief can be justified when studied as fiction. Both claims cannot be true.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:02 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
No: I'm saying your view of religion is clouded because you persist in making false generalizations. It may be that you do not believe the false generalizations you type, in which case your delivery is confused, not necessarily your understanding.

Maybe it's not my delivery that's confused, but the person it's delivered to who's confused. It only means that I should clarify for some people who may be sensitive to my statements.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Heh, well, I'm not so into "bashing" as I am concerned criticism.

I know, it was a joke.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
You said that religious beliefs are unjustified, then you said that religious belief can be justified when studied as fiction. Both claims cannot be true.

I said that religious beliefs cannot be justified, but studying religion as fiction can be justified. Do you not see the difference between those two statements? Do you have religious beliefs? If so, can you give me some examples?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:09 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Maybe it's not my delivery that's confused, but the person it's delivered to who's confused. It only means that I should clarify for some people who may be sensitive to my statements.

Perhaps, however, I have shown the nature of the confusion: you make false generalizations about religion.

And yes: clear presentation is useful. Clear presentation helps us avoid confusion.

hue-man wrote:
I said that religious beliefs cannot be justified, but studying religion as fiction can be justified. Do you not see the difference between those two statements?

Yes, I see the difference. However, it is a difference not present in your earlier comments.

You called religious beliefs unjustified and then said "The justification of religion can only come in the form of studying religion as fiction"

The "justification of religion". This is not the same as 'the justification of the study of religion'.

You see how delivery is important?

hue-man wrote:
Do you have religious beliefs? If so, can you give me some examples?

Yes and no respectively. I can give you examples of beliefs which are both religious and otherwise. For example, murder is wrong.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yes, I see the difference. However, it is a difference not present in your earlier comments.

You called religious beliefs unjustified and then said "The justification of religion can only come in the form of studying religion as fiction"

The "justification of religion". This is not the same as 'the justification of the study of religion'.

You see how delivery is important?

Yes, I do see how delivery is important, but I really think it depends on who's reading the words. The study of religion still entails religion. I'm saying that you can justify the study but not the beliefs.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yes and no respectively. I can give you examples of beliefs which are both religious and otherwise. For example, murder is wrong.

Well I believe that I live on a planet that is third from the sun. That's still a belief, but I guess what you're saying is that certain beliefs can be reduced to opinions or sentiments while others have an objective status regardless of whether someone accepts them or not. Murder is wrong is a subjective statement, because it's mind-dependent and has emotive underpinnings. That does not mean that subjective sentences can't be justified, that just means that you can't justify them the same way you can justify objective sentences or propositions.

You still didn't give me an example of one of your religious beliefs. Please don't be so obscure?
Krumple

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:28 pm
@hue-man,
wow isn't this the same conversation you both had on like 5 other threads?
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:30 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Yes, I do see how delivery is important, but I really think it depends on who's reading the words. The study of religion still entails religion. I'm saying that you can justify the study but not the beliefs.

Yeah, you clarified the point. My point was that your earlier claims were not the same as the clarification.

And now we get to return to the initial disagreement: that to say "religious beliefs are unjustified" is incorrect. You say that religious beliefs could be justified by empirical observation; well, there happen to be examples of religious teachers who suggest that religious beliefs be disbelieved until confirmed by a person's own experience, by empirical observation.

hue-man wrote:
Well I believe that I live on a planet that is third from the sun. That's still a belief, but I guess what you're saying is that certain beliefs can be reduced to opinions or sentiments while others have an objective status regardless of whether someone accepts them or not. Murder is wrong is a subjective statement, because it's mind-dependent and has emotive underpinnings. That does not mean that subjective sentences can't be justified, that just means that you can't justify them the same way you can justify objective sentences or propositions.

Well, no, that's not what I am saying (though I basically agree with you). I am saying that I have religious beliefs, but will not provide examples of religious beliefs that I cannot justify outside of religious grounds. My religion is personal, and any beliefs I justify should be justified in such a way as to convince others - otherwise I am wrong to try and justify the beliefs to others.

For example: I do not try to justify my belief in God to others. I have my justification and that's enough. If you cannot see your way to believing in God, that's your business and fine by me. If asked, I might give examples of ways to justify belief in God, but that is quote different than explicitly offering my own, personal justification.

hue-man wrote:
You still didn't give me an example of one of your religious beliefs. Please don't be so obscure?

Sure I did. Murder is wrong.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
At least your honest about not being able to justify the existence of God. I do admire your honesty.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
At least your honest about not being able to justify the existence of God. I do admire your honesty.

Except I said no such thing.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 06:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Except I said no such thing.

You implied that you couldn't justify it to others, and by others I assume people who don't think like you do. That's likely because of the fact that you can't verify the existence of a God. I mean you may be able to justify it to a fideist or a mystic. but not to an empiricist positivist or a physicalist. The fact that you're able to justify it to a like minded thinker or yourself does not make the belief justifiable.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 08:35 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;64369 wrote:
The goodness or badness of religion is being hotly debated in current intellectual circles.

Perhaps in religious circles. 'Intellect' knows that the judgements of 'good' and 'bad' are Perspectival, in the beholder's eye.

Quote:
What needs to be mentioned, at this point, is the utility of religious beliefs.

Simple, ask a believer for his 'testimony'! Every 'believer' has one. They'd gladly tell you why they believe as they do, what works for them.

Quote:
Why do people strongly believe in unjustified beliefs?

'Unjustified' from what Perspective, certainly not from that of the 'believer'. Surely they are under no obligation to 'justify' their beliefs to anyone, much less to you.

Quote:
What are the emotional underpinnings that drive this form of self-delusion?

Ach.. 'delusion' according to whom? From what Perspective? Perhaps you are deluding yourself by thinking that someone else is deluded because they do not see their world as you see your's? What might the "emotional underpinnings" of having to 'believe' oneself arbiter of reality and truth, who is and is not 'delusional'. I don't recall anyone ever regarding themselves as 'deluded', its always 'someone else'.
It is egoic to consider any Perspective as deluded. 'Delusion' is in the mind of the believer in 'delusion'.

Quote:
With all of that in mind, we should now ask ourselves why and if we should settle for delusion in the face of these metaphysical, philosophical problems?

Only the 'egotistical we'. I acknowledge no such thing (other than its existence in your head) as 'delusion', its arrogant crap.

Quote:
Do we need to delude our vision of reality in order to deal with its more unfortunate properties?

What arrogance, besides ego, gives you the impression that you aren't firmly entrenched in your own dreamland? Your own little delusional 'reality'? I got some Perspectives right here that could well argue exactly such a point.
Every Perspective is unique! It stands to reason that there will be others that are similar, to one extent or another, and those that are diametrically opposite.
They all are valid features of the complete Universe and therefore 'reality'. There is no 'delusion' that I see other than the deluded 'believer' in delusion!

It is not 'religion' that is the 'beast', it is the 'belief', no matter the subject, it is the depth, the intensity of belief, that is hell on earth.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

hue-man;64467 wrote:
The fact that you're able to justify it (your belief)... does not make the belief justifiable.

I'd think that you have already granted the belief 'justified' as a "fact", the conclusion of your statement seems an error.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 09:11 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
I'd think that you have already granted the belief 'justified' as a "fact", the conclusion of your statement seems an error.

That sentence was an intentional oxymoron, and I like how you edited it. Man, you just can't ask a fair question or make a fair criticism of religion in the philosophy of religion board can you?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 11:38 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
You implied that you couldn't justify it to others, and by others I assume people who don't think like you do.

Good job reading material that I did not write. Go back and give the statements another look: I did not imply that I could not justify the belief to others, I stated that I do not try to justify the belief to others. I imagine you can see a difference there.

hue-man wrote:
That's likely because of the fact that you can't verify the existence of a God. I mean you may be able to justify it to a fideist or a mystic. but not to an empiricist positivist or a physicalist.

That's a strange fact, given the fact that there are empiricist theists.

hue-man wrote:
The fact that you're able to justify it to a like minded thinker or yourself does not make the belief justifiable.

Except that, in accordance with my earlier statements, I would not even make an attempt at justifying my personal belief to "like minded" thinkers, nor anyone else.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:19 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:

What needs to be mentioned, at this point, is the utility of religious beliefs. Why do people strongly believe in unjustified beliefs? What are the emotional underpinnings that drive this form of self-delusion? I think that it is quite clear that religious beliefs serve as a coping mechanism for human suffering and discontent with reality. It's utility is strong in the sense that it presents answers to problems that are as untrue as they are easy. How easy is it for you to say that you'll see a dead loved one in an afterlife, or that your personality and bodily form will survive upon death, while a naturalist atheist has to approach the problem from a realistic and contemplative point of view? All religions, including the less corrupted mystic religions, are emotionally underpinned by fear and appeasement, which is evident due to religion's habit of applying human-like, intentional properties to the functions of nature and the universe. How frightening is it when man realizes the absurd nature of the universe in relation to himself; when he realizes that the universe doesn't only not revolve around him, but that the universe doesn't care about him at all? These emotional needs are religion's utility.

To answer why religious people settle for a delusion: Why do any of us settle for a delusion? By one argument it is irrational to think that we are anything but brains in vats, by another argument it is irrational to think that we exist as unique beings, by another argument it is irrational to assume that everything can be empirically witnessed. In their base forms there is no real difference between arguing from a empirically material causal chain and a spiritual/transcendental experience. Neither can be proved and both start from assumptions. One assumes that all things are physical and potentially witnessable physically, the other that they are divine. It is irrational to assume that all things can eventually be explained physically. People have deluded themselves into denying their divinity , or at least non-physical, nature etc... Tradition is the reason why people who don't believe hold onto their "delusions". Personal experience is the reason people who do believe hold onto knowledge of the divine.

As for the above quoted part of your post. How is it any easier to claim religion than atheism or agnosticism? I think the current trend of atheism is a coping mechanism for people who do not want to deal with the real world and reality. Its lots easier to go around claiming that I make my own meaning in this world or that my actions are somehow predetermined by my nature and therefore I'm responsible for them nominally, but you know not really, because my chemistry/DNA whatever drove me to said actions. Its a lot easier to say hey I don't go on after this I won't be responsible to a creator/god/universe/Transcendental system, when I die. I think it enables an atheist to make himself a God unto himself by attributing no intentional properties to the functions of the universe. How easy is it when a person deludes him/herself into thinking that the universe doesn't care about him. How easy is it to deny duty to self, higher powers and the universe and live a life of selfish abandon.

I mean come on if you are tired of people giving trite arguments for religion maybe try and give a non-trite argument against it. Anyone who is devoutly religious will be living a life of duty, responsibility, and long suffering. Many of those people are jealous of the atheist, not because they think s/he is able to "sin" at will, but because one who makes her own reality, creates his own meaning or who has the option to place blame for personal actions on some other entity in their minds does not have the incredible weight of divine responsibility. It shows a serious lack of wisdom to express so blatantly the attitude that religious people are suckers or that they are trapped by their ineptitude into thinking archaically. A person who really follows their religion has without a doubt been to the crossroads of atheism has dealt personally and rationally with the empirical issues. All of them have followed proven methods of justification as experientially empirical as anything in this life.