God does not truly exist

Solace

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 05:29 am
@William,
William wrote:
Outstanding observation. Good first post. And welcome. You know, it might just be we have it totally backwards and it is not us who wish to serve. Perhaps that is what God is all about, to serve us. Now how do we hear His direction and guidance? Toss that around in your noodle a little.
Again, welcome. Smile
William

Eerr... if god is meant to serve us, then shouldn't he be listening for our direction and guidance? (This is so off topic, but anyway...)

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 05:55 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
1000 years ago we knew the earth was flat.

Actually 2330 years ago we knew the world was round, and 70 years later we knew the circumfrance. Just like to mention that one.
William

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:11 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Eerr... if god is meant to serve us, then shouldn't he be listening for our direction and guidance? (This is so off topic, but anyway...)

It's not a matter of "listening", it's a matter of "hearing". It is not something one can do "consciously". It is a natural occurrence that comes when the mind is at peace unencumbered with worry, stress, guilt and fear. It is the truest form of freedom meant for all mankind. Unfortunately that peace of mind is not easily obtainable in the reality our "autonomy or free will" has created. Releasing fear is not easy when the world we exist in thrives on it. If you can manage it, you will see how "God" will guide you through it. Unbelievable. It is a benevolent omnipotence beyond our understanding meant to aid us in our becoming aware of the oneness of it all. Servitude is a construct of man, not God.
William
Solace

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:25 am
@William,
William, I fail to see how that has anything to do with the question I asked. You suggested in a previous post that God was meant to serve us. I don't know if you were being serious or not, but you followed it up with a comment about us hearing his instructions. Well, my point was, if God serves us, shouldn't he hear our instructions, rather than us hearing his instructions? Since when does the master hear and obey the servant?
William

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:34 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
William, I fail to see how that has anything to do with the question I asked. You suggested in a previous post that God was meant to serve us. I don't know if you were being serious or not, but you followed it up with a comment about us hearing his instructions. Well, my point was, if God serves us, shouldn't he hear our instructions, rather than us hearing his instructions? Since when does the master hear and obey the servant?

Pardon me for not being a little more precise. It is not a matter of "Master/Servant, it is a one way communication; from Him to us, his many parts. Think of Him as a guide, not a "commander". Hope that helped.
William
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:50 am
@avatar6v7,
Actually 2330 years ago we knew the world was round, and 70 years later we knew the circumfrance. Just like to mention that one.

Details details.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:21 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
But is the information physical?

I do not think that environmental awareness survives death as that seems unlikely without sensory input. Self awareness, however, does not necessarily need a sensory input such as sound, touch, taste, sight or smell. Being self aware only requires an awareness of existence of the self. Not of an external world. I do not think that it is anything that we can experience in our current state because I have the urge to say that it is a level of consciousness even more obscure than the subconscious.

Yes but dogs do not look at our facial expression. They can tell when you are sick and when you are mad and when you are upset or happy without even looking at you. Also, you act as if you have never been thinking of a song only to walk in to somewhere and someone else was singing it.

Keep in mind, in not believeing in anything I also do not believe in coincidence.

I do not claim to know. Only accept. Things are as they are until they aren't. Then they are something else.

By the way.. The earth is actually an abnormal eliptical shape. Not technically a sphere. Very Happy

Regardless of how much sense it makes to you, not knowing makes for a much more interesting and open ended life. I tried knowing for awhile. I didn't like the final result.

Seeing a picture of your brain and seeing your brain are two different things. I can draw all sorts of pictures but that is still only a representation of the real thing. So when was the last timme you actually saw your brain?

If never then you have never seen your consciousness.

I'm only going to respond to one of your comments, because I just realized something about you.

"Yes but dogs do not look at our facial expression. They can tell when you are sick and when you are mad and when you are upset or happy without even looking at you."

Actually, dogs do look at our facial expression. The science channel is very educational. They can tell that we're made or happy, by not looking at us, because sight is not their only sense. Scent and sound also play a role.

"Also, you act as if you have never been thinking of a song only to walk in to somewhere and someone else was singing it."

You are superstitious as hell. Very Happy

"Keep in mind, in not believeing in anything I also do not believe in coincidence."

You may think that this statement is just a negative, but every negative entails a positive. By saying that you do not believe in coincidence, you are saying that you believe that there is no such thing as coincidence. You're also saying that you are one superstitious mofo. Very Happy

"By the way.. The earth is actually an abnormal eliptical shape. Not technically a sphere. Very Happy "

The Earth is actually an oblate spheroid. The Earth's orbit is elliptical.

Shape of the Earth

"Regardless of how much sense it makes to you, not knowing makes for a much more interesting and open ended life. I tried knowing for awhile. I didn't like the final result."

You are obviously searching for convenience, not truth or knowledge, so let's just end this debate right now. Don't get me wrong, it was fun.
hue-man

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:27 am
@hue-man,
To the guy who said that I believe that I have resolved this debate, you're wrong. This debate was really resolved a while ago by philosophers who were way ahead of me as of this point. Some people just don't want to let go of that man in the clouds, watching over us as we sleep, listening to our every thought, guiding our lives, waiting for us to die so that we can spend eternity with him. I think God is like a narcotic for the believer. We just have to wean ourselves off slowly.
Icon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:39 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
To the guy who said that I believe that I have resolved this debate, you're wrong. This debate was really resolved a while ago by philosophers who were way ahead of me as of this point. Some people just don't want to let go of that man in the clouds, watching over us as we sleep, listening to our every thought, guiding our lives, waiting for us to die so that we can spend eternity with him. I think God is like a narcotic for the believer. We just have to wean ourselves off slowly.

I am not as superstitious as you think and you are quite quick to judge.
It must be a habit that comes with thinking yourself correct. Wink

This debate has never been solved by anyone. If you decide to take several assumptions as fact then this debate was resolved but isn't that what those who believe in god are doing?

You cannot prove or disprove the existence of god. Period. Even as you define god one way, someone else defines him completely differently. God is not only one idea. You may have attempted to disprove the direct Biblical interpretation of God but you have not even touched on the energy which connects us all or the God which represent moral aptitude, or the God which was before the beginning or the big back. What about those?

Philosophy, you will find, does not prove anything. It is a great way to learn logic and a marvelous way to learn abstract thought but it is not a science of answers. It is a science of questions. If you ever find a question which does not lead to other questions then you have not thought of all the possible questions and may need to start from scratch.

I am not trying to "harsh your buzz" so to speak. I am merely bringing up the point that science is not the understanding of truth. It is the understanding of possibility. Even a scientist will tell you that we cannot truly know.. only guess with decent accuracy. There are too many factors involved for us to ever actually know.

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, I am going to have to tell you that I do not believe your explanation of why God does not exist because it is incomplete. Until you can give me all of the information in absolute fact without any assumptions, it will be incomplete. Going halfway has always been the philosopher bane.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 01:07 pm
@hue-man,
The question: "Does God exist?" does not make any sense; to say that "God exists" or "God does not exist" does not make sense, either.

The question and the two statements all rely on a confused understanding of God.

hue-man:
"Some people just don't want to let go of that man in the clouds, watching over us as we sleep, listening to our every thought, guiding our lives, waiting for us to die so that we can spend eternity with him."

I hope you can come to understand a very important point: your argument is what is called a "straw-man" argument.
Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies