God does not truly exist

hue-man

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
This post is a rebuttal and continuation of the topic entitled "[anselm] that god truly exists. It is not a direct response to all of the questions and statements that have been in support of the idea of God; but more of a general rebuttal. I do not plan on continuing this debate after this post, so I will do my best to make my argument as clear as possible, and if anyone refuses to accept my proposition, then that's fine with me.

I begin my argument by saying that God does not truly exist. The only things that exist are things that are physical, and so if God is not physical then God does not exist outside of the idea of God, and if one is to believe that the idea of God is enough to warrant his existence then one is taking the long discredited position of idealism. God is not real, because God is not physical. Anything that is not physical is an idea, and therefore, God is just an idea, and nothing more.

Some may say that even though God does not really exist, the idea of God is nonetheless good. First, this statement exhibits a conscious negation of truth for convenience, and second the theory that faith in God is a universal good is false. The impact of idealism and fideism in relation with theism can have, and indeed has had dire consequences throughout history. Historically speaking, even the believer sometimes finds that their beliefs can turn on them, when it is applied to the ethics of a society. I can go on and on with historically examples for why the idea of God (particularly theism) can have negative effects on the positive growth of a society, but I'm sure that many of you are already aware of these examples.

Since I am already anticipating this type of rebuttal I will say that ethics do not physically exist; they only exist as ideas that are constructive to the creation of a civil society. It is a social phenomenon, subject to the social sciences. Ideas such as government, & city, are the same as ideas such as Ipods, or computers. These are ideas that we can make into physical realities, simply because the physical properties needed to create them do exist, and therefore, these ideas are caused by our sensory experience of these physical properties. God is an illegitimate idea that was caused by our sensory experience, and abstract nature. For example, thunder and lightening was the inspiration for the idea of the God Thor. This was due to the use of supernatural hypotheses that was common to primitive humans during the theological phase of man. We can now explain and demonstrate thunder and lightening in completely natural terms. The empirical method has shown itself to be the only truly valid method for acquiring truth. It is because of the empirical method that I am even typing on this computer, communicating with people all across the world through the world wide web.

I am an empiricist/positivist. Empiricism is an epistemological position, which states that knowledge arises from experience, and evidence. Empiricism only proves that God exists as an idea, and thus far, it has discredited ideas of the supernatural, and therefore God. Belief in the metaphysical idea of God depends on the doctrines of idealism and fideism, none of which actually correspond with reality. Agnosticism is based on the ignorance of the principle of parsimony, and a redundant restatement of the principle that synthetic propositions are subject to doubt; it is as ignorant to this principle as absolute skepticism is. Parsimony demands that supernatural agencies be held not to exist until proven otherwise. The idea/concept of deism is not only unparsimonious, but logically flawed, because it depends on the first cause argument, and that argument is flawed because it begs the question - then what caused or created God. Pantheism, the thesis that the universe is a supernatural agency, is incorrect because it is also unparsimonious, and the universe shows no sign of supernaturalism. With that said, I am a naturalist, and therefore an atheist until someone can show and prove that supernatural agency does exist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,011 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Icon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:20 pm
@hue-man,
So what you are telling me is that you are not conscious?

Consciousness is not physical. As god's existence is not proven by his lack of physical form, so your is not proven by your having a physical form. To me, you are letters on a screen. Prove to me that you exist.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I believe in god. As a matter of fact I try not to believe in anything. I am merely pointing out that your argument is flawed from an empiricists stand point because you have yet to observe your consciousness and yet you know it is there. This means that you have to consider the possibility that God is, at least, a consciousness, perhaps without a body.
Dichanthelium

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:38 pm
@hue-man,
I think all this proves is that if I define "exist" in a certain way, and then define "God" in a certain way (or fail to define the term but describe "God" in a way that places "God" outside the parameters of my definition of "exist"), I can show that "God" doesn't "exist."

Put more concisely, it just shows that "God," as I conceive "God," does not "exist," as I conceive "exist."

I don't think anyone can prove that God exists, especially without defining the term, but I don't think the opposite can proven either.
Icon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:51 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I think all this proves is that if I define "exist" in a certain way, and then define "God" in a certain way (or fail to define the term but describe "God" in a way that places "God" outside the parameters of my definition of "exist"), I can show that "God" doesn't "exist."

Put more concisely, it just shows that "God," as I conceive "God," does not "exist," as I conceive "exist."

I don't think anyone can prove that God exists, especially without defining the term, but I don't think the opposite can proven either.

Precisely my point.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. I am not going to say one way or the other. I am a secular humanist. If god does exist, he is probably waiting on us to figure out how to solve our own problems. lol
Dichanthelium

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 04:57 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
If god does exist, he is probably waiting on us to figure out how to solve our own problems. lol

Sometimes I think it's not so important whether or not we believe in "God" but rather, that we try to understand what our fellow human beings are referring to when they use the word.

I think of "God" as whatever may be the incomprehensible power that brought the universe into existence. Maybe someone has a word for whatever caused the "Big Bang." Whatever that word is, I would suggest, that may be what some of us are calling "God."

It's been a long time since I attended a cosmology or astrology course, so maybe there are explanations that I am unaware of. I remain an eternal student...
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
So what you are telling me is that you are not conscious?

Consciousness is not physical. As god's existence is not proven by his lack of physical form, so your is not proven by your having a physical form. To me, you are letters on a screen. Prove to me that you exist.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I believe in god. As a matter of fact I try not to believe in anything. I am merely pointing out that your argument is flawed from an empiricists stand point because you have yet to observe your consciousness and yet you know it is there. This means that you have to consider the possibility that God is, at least, a consciousness, perhaps without a body.

"Consciousness is not physical."

Consciousness is not physical according to you. We humans love to mystify things. I see little difference between your concept of consciousness (or the mind) and the ancient concept of a ghostly soul. You are separating consciousness from the brain. Consciousness deals with the philosophy of the mind, and the position of dualism is in the trash bag of bad ideas. The brain, the mind, and consciousness are all one and the same. Mind-body dualism becomes more discredited the more we learn about the brain. When I say the only things that exist are physical, I am not just speaking of matter; I am speaking of anything that is described by physics, including not just matter, but energy, space, time, physical forces, wave particles, etc. Anything other than that is just something that you came up with (idealism). Physicalism and functionalism are the only positions that deserve credit when dealing with the philosophy of the mind. Functionalism is the thesis that mental states are functional states consisting of causal relations among components for processing information. To get more information on physicalism go to this link.

Physicalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philosophy of mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I am merely pointing out that your argument is flawed from an empiricists stand point because you have yet to observe your consciousness and yet you know it is there."

If you have seen a brain, then you have seen consciousness. I know that may sound disenchanting, but it is what it is. You know that you have consciousness, because one, you are human, two, you can feel, taste, smell, see, and hear, like most animals. You're just putting a word (consciousness) on the sensory system that most animals have, and that mystifies it a little bit.

"Stop over-complicating things. The universe is a ball of string and we are only going to unravel it one knot at a time"

I like this quote.
hue-man

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:

It is clear that some of you didn't fully take in what I wrote. This is once again a statement that ignores the principle of parsimony. Any re-conception of the word God is unparsimonious; that includes deism and pantheism, and I explained that already. If you disagree then fine, but I shouldn't have to rebut a counter argument that I already dealt with in the initial post.

Any conception of exist that is not physical (can be described by physics) is idealism. You can't just make stuff up in your head and say that they exist.
Lord Byron

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
@hue-man,
Before we decide what or who does or doesn't exist, we must understand what existence means. Then, there is the question of whether or not we want to exist as God's servants, or as autonomous units. It is my belief that we should consider our stance on eternal servitude just as much as on Gods existence. When dealing with such things, we should always ask, "What then?"
Solace

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:08 pm
@Lord Byron,
You have an interesting idea Lord Byron, but it might be better if we explore it as a seperate topic. Feel free to start a thread about it.
0 Replies

Spasiangirl

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:25 am
@hue-man,
You're asking for a physical evidence proving God's existence, which leaves to answers that have little to offer.

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 03:08 am
@Spasiangirl,
Your argument is based on an unprovable assumption- that your basis for proof is the right one. If you can find a proof for empicism then do so, but I think it would be impossible. As empiricism is a system of proof to begin with, then any physical evidence would be insufficent as it is only self-perpetuating, and if any other evidence were possible it would disprove empiricism.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:48 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
"Consciousness is not physical."

Consciousness is not physical according to you. We humans love to mystify things. I see little difference between your concept of consciousness (or the mind) and the ancient concept of a ghostly soul. You are separating consciousness from the brain. Consciousness deals with the philosophy of the mind, and the position of dualism is in the trash bag of bad ideas. The brain, the mind, and consciousness are all one and the same. Mind-body dualism becomes more discredited the more we learn about the brain. When I say the only things that exist are physical, I am not just speaking of matter; I am speaking of anything that is described by physics, including not just matter, but energy, space, time, physical forces, wave particles, etc. Anything other than that is just something that you came up with (idealism). Physicalism and functionalism are the only positions that deserve credit when dealing with the philosophy of the mind. Functionalism is the thesis that mental states are functional states consisting of causal relations among components for processing information. To get more information on physicalism go to this link.

Physicalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philosophy of mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I am merely pointing out that your argument is flawed from an empiricists stand point because you have yet to observe your consciousness and yet you know it is there."

If you have seen a brain, then you have seen consciousness. I know that may sound disenchanting, but it is what it is. You know that you have consciousness, because one, you are human, two, you can feel, taste, smell, see, and hear, like most animals. You're just putting a word (consciousness) on the sensory system that most animals have, and that mystifies it a little bit.

"Stop over-complicating things. The universe is a ball of string and we are only going to unravel it one knot at a time"

I like this quote.

First of all, explain to me this. If the brain is consciousness, explain the passing of single particle streams (which store what seems to be th whole of our knowledge) between nodes in our brain?

So we know that particles do not get destroyed when we die... So what happens to the sum of knowledge which is stored in them?

Also, perhaps you can explain how we can interact using "brain waves" which carry our "intentions" to others which is part of how we percieve emotion?

I was not trying to say that you were wrong. There is a possibility that you could be correct. All that I am saying is that you should never believe you know anything. 1000 years ago we knew the earth was flat. 3000 years ago we knew that the night sky was really a blanket with holes in it. What we know today is nothing more than the fact that we are here. The rest is just something we have on good word.

Also.... When was the last time that you saw your own brain?

I am guessing never so again i say... you have never seen your consciousness. Wink
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:24 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:

I am an empiricist/positivist. Empiricism is an epistemological position, which states that knowledge arises from experience, and evidence. Empiricism only proves that God exists as an idea, and thus far, it has discredited ideas of the supernatural, and therefore God. Belief in the metaphysical idea of God depends on the doctrines of idealism and fideism, none of which actually correspond with reality. Agnosticism is based on the ignorance of the principle of parsimony, and a redundant restatement of the principle that synthetic propositions are subject to doubt; it is as ignorant to this principle as absolute skepticism is. Parsimony demands that supernatural agencies be held not to exist until proven otherwise. The idea/concept of deism is not only unparsimonious, but logically flawed, because it depends on the first cause argument, and that argument is flawed because it begs the question - then what caused or created God. Pantheism, the thesis that the universe is a supernatural agency, is incorrect because it is also unparsimonious, and the universe shows no sign of supernaturalism. With that said, I am a naturalist, and therefore an atheist until someone can show and prove that supernatural agency does exist.

Are you sure you have all of you 'isms' correct? Seriously, beware of falling into the trap of 'isms'. While they are nice tools to categorize knowledge, in the wrong hands they turn into dogmatism. What is this "principle of parsimony?" If you are using it as a term dealing with Occam's Razor then you are turning preference into principle. You could just as easily accept God's existence because it makes your understanding of the world easier empirically speaking. Remember theories for God's existence are often far simpler than one's against their existence like yours.

If you want proof that some sort of supernatural agency exists hit yourself in the head (other people could do a better job for you) with a club of some sorts. Just don't expect others to believe your evidence. Or you could learn how to meditate to go into alter states of consciousness, but once again good luck on showing others the evidence. Or take psychedelic drugs. Or learn to control your dreams. Good luck though on the empirical evidence thing though. Some mysteries are too much fun to solve.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:15 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
First of all, explain to me this. If the brain is consciousness, explain the passing of single particle streams (which store what seems to be th whole of our knowledge) between nodes in our brain?

So we know that particles do not get destroyed when we die... So what happens to the sum of knowledge which is stored in them?

Also, perhaps you can explain how we can interact using "brain waves" which carry our "intentions" to others which is part of how we percieve emotion?

I was not trying to say that you were wrong. There is a possibility that you could be correct. All that I am saying is that you should never believe you know anything. 1000 years ago we knew the earth was flat. 3000 years ago we knew that the night sky was really a blanket with holes in it. What we know today is nothing more than the fact that we are here. The rest is just something we have on good word.

Also.... When was the last time that you saw your own brain?

I am guessing never so again i say... you have never seen your consciousness. Wink

"First of all, explain to me this. If the brain is consciousness, explain the passing of single particle streams (which store what seems to be th whole of our knowledge) between nodes in our brain?"

You are simply explaining processes that go on in the brain. The matter, the particles, the electric pulses, are all physical.

"So we know that particles do not get destroyed when we die... So what happens to the sum of knowledge which is stored in them?"

The energy that makes up the atom is not destroyed (as far as I know - I'm not an expert), because energy is neither created nor destroyed, but you are assuming that those quantum particles belong to us, when we really belong to them. In other words, the atoms and the quantum particles make us, we don't make them. This is a very flawed argument I have heard before the suggest that consciousness survives death. If the brain and the sensory system is not responsible for self-awareness and environmental awareness then explain why it is that when a person's brain is injured in life there self-awareness and awareness of their environment is also diminished (for a good example, remember Terry Schiavo)? With this in mind, how can someone honestly believe that self-awareness and environmental awareness survives death (wishful thinking)? I am not saying that is doesn't survive death, but I am saying that everything indicates that it is highly unlikely (emphasis on highly and unlikely).

"Also, perhaps you can explain how we can interact using "brain waves" which carry our "intentions" to others which is part of how we percieve emotion?"

I knew that posting this topic was going to have me explaining things I shouldn't have to explain, but I couldn't help it. We perceive other people's emotions, not from some brain waves floating through space, but from facial recognition and empathy. That's why people with autism can't recognize our facial expressions; it's all in the brain. Evolving highly developed empathy was necessary for our highly social species to survive, and it may have even been favored in sexual selection.

Even domestic dogs can recognize when we are sad or angry, not because they understand our language, but because they understand our body language; and humans communicate mostly through body language.

"I was not trying to say that you were wrong. There is a possibility that you could be correct. All that I am saying is that you should never believe you know anything. 1000 years ago we knew the earth was flat. 3000 years ago we knew that the night sky was really a blanket with holes in it. What we know today is nothing more than the fact that we are here. The rest is just something we have on good word."

I doubt that you are an infinite skeptic, but this is usually an argument for infinite skepticism. We didn't know that the Earth was flat, we thought that the Earth was flat. We didn't know that night sky was a blanket with hole in it, we thought that the night sky was a blanket with holes in it. Now we know that the Earth is not flat, but a sphere; and now we know that the night sky is not a damn blanket. Aristotle provided observational evidence for the spherical Earth, noting that travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon. He argued that this was only possible if their horizon was at an angle to northerners' horizon and that the Earth's surface therefore could not be flat. He also noted that the border of the shadow of Earth on the Moon during the partial phase of a lunar eclipse is always circular, no matter how high the Moon is over the horizon. Only a sphere casts a circular shadow in every direction, whereas a circular disk casts an elliptical shadow in all directions apart from directly above and directly below.

The idea that we can't know anything is called infinite skepticism, and it is not only unparsimonious, but it also just doesn't make much since - lol.

"Also.... When was the last time that you saw your own brain?

I am guessing never so again i say... you have never seen your consciousness."

Seriously guy, your joking right? Maybe I just can't take a joke, but I've had an X-ray done on my sinuses and I saw my skull, so I'm pretty sure my brain was underneath that - lol. Not to mention that the brain has been observed by almost everyone on the planet these days. I'll get back to you on my own brain if I ever get an MRI scan.

Also, we know about our consciousness, because of our intelligence, and because we are conscious (self-aware, and aware of environment).
Icon

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
"First of all, explain to me this. If the brain is consciousness, explain the passing of single particle streams (which store what seems to be th whole of our knowledge) between nodes in our brain?"

You are simply explaining processes that go on in the brain. The matter, the particles, the electric pulses, are all physical.

But is the information physical?

hue-man wrote:

"So we know that particles do not get destroyed when we die... So what happens to the sum of knowledge which is stored in them?"

The energy that makes up the atom is not destroyed (as far as I know - I'm not an expert), because energy is neither created nor destroyed, but you are assuming that those quantum particles belong to us, when we really belong to them. In other words, the atoms and the quantum particles make us, we don't make them. This is a very flawed argument I have heard before the suggest that consciousness survives death. If the brain and the sensory system is not responsible for self-awareness and environmental awareness then explain why it is that when a person's brain is injured in life there self-awareness and awareness of their environment is also diminished (for a good example, remember Terry Schiavo)? With this in mind, how can someone honestly believe that self-awareness and environmental awareness survives death (wishful thinking)? I am not saying that is doesn't survive death, but I am saying that everything indicates that it is highly unlikely (emphasis on highly and unlikely).

I do not think that environmental awareness survives death as that seems unlikely without sensory input. Self awareness, however, does not necessarily need a sensory input such as sound, touch, taste, sight or smell. Being self aware only requires an awareness of existence of the self. Not of an external world. I do not think that it is anything that we can experience in our current state because I have the urge to say that it is a level of consciousness even more obscure than the subconscious.

hue-man wrote:

"Also, perhaps you can explain how we can interact using "brain waves" which carry our "intentions" to others which is part of how we percieve emotion?"

I knew that posting this topic was going to have me explaining things I shouldn't have to explain, but I couldn't help it. We perceive other people's emotions, not from some brain waves floating through space, but from facial recognition and empathy. That's why people with autism can't recognize our facial expressions; it's all in the brain. Evolving highly developed empathy was necessary for our highly social species to survive, and it may have even been favored in sexual selection.

Even domestic dogs can recognize when we are sad or angry, not because they understand our language, but because they understand our body language; and humans communicate mostly through body language.

Yes but dogs do not look at our facial expression. They can tell when you are sick and when you are mad and when you are upset or happy without even looking at you. Also, you act as if you have never been thinking of a song only to walk in to somewhere and someone else was singing it.

Keep in mind, in not believeing in anything I also do not believe in coincidence.

hue-man wrote:

"I was not trying to say that you were wrong. There is a possibility that you could be correct. All that I am saying is that you should never believe you know anything. 1000 years ago we knew the earth was flat. 3000 years ago we knew that the night sky was really a blanket with holes in it. What we know today is nothing more than the fact that we are here. The rest is just something we have on good word."

I doubt that you are an infinite skeptic, but this is usually an argument for infinite skepticism. We didn't know that the Earth was flat, we thought that the Earth was flat. We didn't know that night sky was a blanket with hole in it, we thought that the night sky was a blanket with holes in it. Now we know that the Earth is not flat, but a sphere; and now we know that the night sky is not a damn blanket. Aristotle provided observational evidence for the spherical Earth, noting that travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon. He argued that this was only possible if their horizon was at an angle to northerners' horizon and that the Earth's surface therefore could not be flat. He also noted that the border of the shadow of Earth on the Moon during the partial phase of a lunar eclipse is always circular, no matter how high the Moon is over the horizon. Only a sphere casts a circular shadow in every direction, whereas a circular disk casts an elliptical shadow in all directions apart from directly above and directly below.

The idea that we can't know anything is called infinite skepticism, and it is not only unparsimonious, but it also just doesn't make much since - lol.

I do not claim to know. Only accept. Things are as they are until they aren't. Then they are something else.

By the way.. The earth is actually an abnormal eliptical shape. Not technically a sphere. Very Happy

Regardless of how much sense it makes to you, not knowing makes for a much more interesting and open ended life. I tried knowing for awhile. I didn't like the final result.

hue-man wrote:

"Also.... When was the last time that you saw your own brain?

I am guessing never so again i say... you have never seen your consciousness."

Seriously guy, your joking right? Maybe I just can't take a joke, but I've had an X-ray done on my sinuses and I saw my skull, so I'm pretty sure my brain was underneath that - lol. Not to mention that the brain has been observed by almost everyone on the planet these days. I'll get back to you on my own brain if I ever get an MRI scan.

Also, we know about our consciousness, because of our intelligence, and because we are conscious (self-aware, and aware of environment).

Seeing a picture of your brain and seeing your brain are two different things. I can draw all sorts of pictures but that is still only a representation of the real thing. So when was the last timme you actually saw your brain?

If never then you have never seen your consciousness.
Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 04:58 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
It is clear that some of you didn't fully take in what I wrote.

Nothing is clear, my super-confident friend, except that I disagreed with with what you wrote, and that you apparently believe you can, in the space of one brief essay, consisting of compound assertions, some of which contain undefined terms and unproven claims, resolve one of the most contentious debates in history.

hue-man wrote:
This is once again a statement that ignores the principle of parsimony. Any re-conception of the word God is unparsimonious; that includes deism and pantheism, and I explained that already. If you disagree then fine, but I shouldn't have to rebut a counter argument that I already dealt with in the initial post.

You don't have to do anything, of course, but I think you should re-examine whether the principle of parsimony can be pressed so compliantly into the service you wish it to provide. Also, I think you may want to investigate whether you have encountered all the "re-conceptions of God" that are available for your scrutiny. Because if you haven't, how can you avoid the charge of having made a mere assertion when you say, "Any re-conception of the word God is unparsimonious."

hue-man wrote:
Any conception of exist that is not physical (can be described by physics) is idealism. You can't just make stuff up in your head and say that they exist.

I will make two statements here, not in the presumption that I can provide the final word on a complex issue, but in an effort to continue in good natured rational discourse. 1. You cannot possibly prove that something does not exist, merely by restricting your definition of the word "exist" to things that have already been shown to be observable. 2. I would be very interested in your proof that "God does not truly exist," if you would cut it up into smaller bites, and really show that your assumptions are indeed true and your logic is indeed valid.
0 Replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:54 pm
@hue-man,
Some of my conceptions of physicalism and its consequences:

If the mind is indeed separate from the physical reality through which it acts, it can of course be supposed that there is some medium of direction through which the mind acts and is connected to reality, otherwise it could not interact and respond to the physical world. This medium must be of such a nature that it is a transit having both physical and non physical influence, let us call this medium ' X' for lack of a more cohesive terminology bearing in mind its lack of strong basis. If the mind can be thought of as a data processing machine, and consciousness transcends the physical, their synthesis is a physically transcendent entity removing any self aware being from the snares of determinism thus confirming a free will independent of the limitations of the physical universe.
If the mind is only a physical macrostructure, however; that is, simply an organization of physical constituents, as most of physical science and neuroscience suggests, then it is obvious that the mind is bound by and of the physical, and in fact, any thought has a physical manifestation through electro-chemical reaction, meaning that the brain is simply a machine of great complexity, no meta physics is needed here. An interesting consequence here is that an arrangement of subatomic particles and physical forces are self descriptive upon certain organization assuming that our descriptions of the physical universe are correct. No matter their correctness, however, in this conception of cognition, they are within physical reality.

Now I will introduce my conception of logic:

Logic is a tool.

Man uses this tool by instinct as it has most often assured his survival.
As a tool it has no ends in itself, only through its application.

A development of a logical system is not a development of logic but an
application of it.

When Man questions logic, he has no basis for his questioning, as logic is instinctual. He is in a sense turning logic upon itself in a nonsensical fashion. Logic cannot validate itself logically; such a method would be circular.

To question logic is to question instinct. It can be quickly shown that this questioning of logic is a simple confusion: To question logic is to use logic upon logic and thus it is nonsense for any answer would still be within the bounds of logic, though it would have no meaning in any context.

Why I would say that god is unprovable:
God is defined to be at least the set of all objects which present themselves to sense experience and consideration in the most concrete conception of god the creator. Thus logic and consciousness are subsets of God necessarily. Thus, in our consideration we must either use logic upon logic, which is nonsense, or dispense logic, with which we dispense proof.

I would also claim that since there are in fact propositions which are provable and false given certain axioms and rules for proof and unprovable for others, but no system has both the attributes of completeness(all formable propositions are provable) and consistency(all provable propositions are logically consistent, i.e. no contradictions occur, e.g. Not A and A cannot both be proven)(ala Godel) that proof itself is limited in its scope, and; that it is at least limited to the degree that language is(ala Wittgenstein).

Just some thoughts.
Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:16 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
Some of my conceptions of physicalism and its consequences:

If the mind is indeed separate from the physical reality through which it acts, ...

Now I will introduce my conception of logic:

Logic is a tool.

Man uses this tool by instinct ...

Just some thoughts.

There is much to chew on here, and I thank you for it, but I'm not clear on exactly how to apply it to the theme. I don't hesitate to admit that a good bit of it is "over my head." I gather that you would challenge either proposition (as would I): "God exists" as well as "God does not exist" . I hope you will elaborate as far as the implications of what you have said above.
Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:40 pm
@Dichanthelium,
My above post had two main intentions:

1) To give some ideas about what physicalism is, and what it implies; namely that EVERYTHING, that is ideas, thoughts, consciousness, emotions, concepts, are physical objects.

2) To try to direct this discussion towards considering why god cannot be proven rather than considering an individual attempt at proof.

Now, in regards to the first point: I admit that I was being very abstract with my presentation, but I think that by doing so I have put many large implications into a couple paragraphs. I think that after discussing physicalism a bit, what I wrote might be more clear.

I think that it might be possible to show that god as considered from a physicalist perspective, can be rendered unprovable by defining and stating the least concrete terms by which god is said to cohere.

I realize of course that there is no consensus on the mystical, and that god takes many meanings. I only hope to address god the creator, and only to show such a being unprovable from a physicalist perspective.

I hope that by doing this at least a few people might see that it is far more sane to conclude that god is outside the realm of logic by definition and that the scriptures that are valuable are valuable only by personal assessment and interpretation, not analytic rigor.

Physicalism:

I would first define phyiscalism:
Axiom 1:Experience is monistic, that is, of one type. Mind is body and body is mind, Cartesian dualism is rejected.
Axiom 2: The substance that is, is Physical in nature

Physicalism is of course, just a set of definitions and viewpoint that makes monism more concrete. Neutral monism is no different in form or consequence. That is, the second axiom doesn't really matter, only the first. It doesn't matter if I say everything is manifest from magic substance X, there is no change in reality due to it and thus there are no distinct consequences. There is at most a change of perception. This is only marginally the case for axiom 2, but much more noticeable for axiom 1. That is; there is a significantly different perception of what the nature of things are and how we speak of things when we consider the monistic perspective as opposed to the dualistic one.

If you really think about it, what really changes when you consider the world from a perspective of the mind being the single substance and the physical being said substance? Only perception and descriptive language, but there are no new consequences from the latter than are not common to the former or vice versa. I would assert that all variations of monism hold equally well, that is, thhat they are equivalent.
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 05:03 am
@Lord Byron,
Lord Byron wrote:
Before we decide what or who does or doesn't exist, we must understand what existence means. Then, there is the question of whether or not we want to exist as God's servants, or as autonomous units. It is my belief that we should consider our stance on eternal servitude? just as much as on Gods existence. When dealing with such things, we should always ask, "What then?"

Outstanding observation. Good first post. And welcome. You know, it might just be we have it totally backwards and it is not us who wish to serve. Perhaps that is what God is all about, to serve us. Now how do we hear His direction and guidance? Toss that around in your noodle a little.
Again, welcome. Smile
William