Against Animal Rights Activists

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:06 am
What y'all are reading is a highly censored version of a thread I wrote on another forum (hooray censorship).

I was just now talking with someone...and I don't think this person will talk to me a whole lot more, especially given the conversation we just had. Curse my philosophical background...I seem to prefer the light of Truth to everything else. I sooner rathered to try to drag this person away from the darkness of error than better my social position. Seriously...this person might not wanna talk to me again because of it. This person even started crying because of what I was saying (I wasn't being harsh...I was merely using the Reason).

Animal rights activists (and a lot of people at large) look at animals, and for some reason I can't possibly understand, they think the animals to be feeling, reasoning, etc. "My cat loves me!" Ugh. So abominable is this error, especially when these same people tend to have an even greater opinion of animals than of men. Consider PETA, for example. This particular girl even expressed the opinion that she thought that the death of a cow to be of greater cause for concern than the death of a man. "We kill things! The population is overcrowded!" VAH!

MAN IS SUPERIOR TO EVERY OTHER CREATURE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!

As Kant rightly says, as Aristotle certainly implies, and as the Church teaches in the light of Truth...man alone is capable of rational deliberation. Man alone, as Kant says, is "the rational autonomy."

And we KNOW that we are rational. We know that are rational because, were we to try to reason that we are not rational, we must in trying to reason that we are not rational use our REASON! I therefore say it again with Descartes: "I am a thing that thinks."

And lo, I say that man is unique in this. Man alone thinks and deliberates and decides.

But no, the animal rights activists will say, so do beasts.

But why do you say it?

I CAN KNOW ABSOLUTELY THAT I DELIBERATE, DECIDE, WILL, THINK, ETC!

You cannot say that about animals. I know that I deliberate, decide, will, think, etc...in precisely the same manner that Descartes says that we both can and MUST.

But we cannot know that animals think.

Of course, the animal rights activist, will say back to us: "But lo, it acts as though it does! I call it, and it comes...see how it loves me? Lo, that dog is saving the other dog...what duty!"

FINE!

But let's look at a computer. In the moment or so in between the time you double click the internet explorer icon and the moment it fully loads, the computer "carries" out the processes. What do we say of the computer when it does? "The computer's thinking...give it a sec."

BUT A COMPUTER DOESN'T THINK! We all readily admit that.

Lo, I said that it's carrying out a process. A computer can't "carry out" anything. It has no agency. Why do I say that it carries anything out?
Surely, the computer in many ways mimics human action. Going solely by the actions, we might be inclined to say that the computer thinks and has an agency. Look, when I click stuff, the computer makes stuff appear! It's answering me!

But we know that the computer, though it acts this way...it doesn't have the underlying structures required for truly being said to think, to feel, to answer, etc. The actions are much the same, but the internal processes aren't. Noone denies that.

"How dare you compare animals to a human creation, to plastic and metal..." She said that to me. And I am sure that you are all thinking it...and fine.

I look at an amoeba. It's alive in the biological sense. But...it doesn't think or feel. It simply doesn't have the stuff required for thinking or feeling. It doesn't have a brain or a spinal cord or anything. It's alive...and it thinks not.

Lo, behold how greatly more complex the tree is! Look, it even seems to WANT to live! The sun rises, and the leaves bend towards the sun. But we freely say that there is no agency in the tree. There is no will. There is no deliberation. There is no thought.

The sponge! Look, the sponge is an animal! Yet, we say that it doesn't think.

Why, therefore, do we have any reason to believe that the animal thinks when we freely admit that the computer, the tree, the sponge, etc...when we say that they don't?

We have no reason to believe it, and philosophically we have several reasons for thinking otherwise.

For (most of this paragraph was deleted to get rid of the exploitives that I used...yay censorship) once in your lives actually use your REASON rather than your sympathies and emotions, animal activists.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,148 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:09 am
@Bonaventurian,
What do you mean by animals are not feeling? That they do not feel emotions? I would assume they feel fear, though I would have to search for some neurological studies on it first; but fear is something most animals probably have in common as it is a necessary survival mechanism.

Now, whether a cat can 'love' is not really answerable unless we isolate 'love''s neurological roots and check for them in cats. I don't know if this has been done, but I would think that a cat might have some primitive form of affection since it can discern between people and how much 'affection' it shows each one.

Realize also that there is myriad evidence pointing to the likely-hood that the great apes can reason(to the degree of a person with up to an 80 i.q., rough estimate) and even work together to solve simple problems. There are even simple tribe-like hierarchies among some species of apes. They have very basic diplomacy between groups, e.g. one will offer a gift to another tribe so that the tribe will be friendly to them when they pass through.

There was one interesting study involving a group of orangutans in which each orangutan was given a small amount of water and there was a peanut in a long tube sticking up out of the floor in the room. After about ten minuets of trying different things, one of the orangutans spit its water into the tube, the peanut floated up a bit. The others followed and finally got the peanut.

So sir, I would say that although your potential mate is quite ignorant to say that the life of one animal(cow) is greater than the life of another(human) when she herself is indeed of the latter species, you are just as guilty.

EDIT: here is a bit on the limbic system
Limbic system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here is a bit on how parts of the brain developed
Limbic System: The Center of Emotions
Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:52 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
What do you mean by animals are not feeling? That they do not feel emotions? I would assume they feel fear, though I would have to search for some neurological studies on it first; but fear is something most animals probably have in common as it is a necessary survival mechanism.

By "feeling" I mean the intellectual apprehension. Obviously, when I run after a cat who hasn't been conditioned to be around me, the "holy crap, that big thing which might eat me is coming after me in a hostile way...I'd better run" instinct kicks in. I don't think, though, that the cat actually looks at me, thinks to himself "is this a hostile creature," and then decides one way or the other before he runs.

I don't think that the cat is free to do anything but run.

Quote:
Now, whether a cat can 'love' is not really answerable unless we isolate 'love''s neurological roots and check for them in cats. I don't know if this has been done, but I would think that a cat might have some primitive form of affection since it can discern between people and how much 'affection' it shows each one.

Yeah, it just struck me that there's a lot of ambiguity in the term "love" even when used to talk about people. At the very least, though, it seems to me that love requires an intellectual apprehension, which I don't think that cats possess.

Quote:
Realize also that there is myriad evidence pointing to the likely-hood that the great apes can reason(to the degree of a person with up to an 80 i.q., rough estimate) and even work together to solve simple problems. There are even simple tribe-like hierarchies among some species of apes. They have very basic diplomacy between groups, e.g. one will offer a gift to another tribe so that the tribe will be friendly to them when they pass through.

There was one interesting study involving a group of orangutans in which each orangutan was given a small amount of water and there was a peanut in a long tube sticking up out of the floor in the room. After about ten minuets of trying different things, one of the orangutans spit its water into the tube, the peanut floated up a bit. The others followed and finally got the peanut.

Look, Zet! I am typing stuff on my keyboard, and the computer somehow amazingly makes stuff appear on the screen. It's as though I'm asking my computer to do something, and the computer, being rational, understands what I am demanding of it, and is acting so as to proccess my request.

Wait...oh yeah, computers aren't rational. This is the point I initially made. We cannot gauge rationality or a lack thereof based on behaviors. Something can appear to act rationally (like the apes) but still not be rational.

So I suppose what it comes down to for me is this:

Can you or anyone else, without appealing to behavioral patterns, demonstrate rationality and deliberation in animals?

I have a basic reason for believing otherwise: Rationality procedes from the rational soul, and it is in this way that we have been created in the image and likeness of God...but animals have not been created in the image and likeness of God, but rather for our benefit...they don't have rational, immortal souls.
Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:07 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian wrote:

I don't think that the cat is free to do anything but run.

Is a person free to stay when we speak of it this way? I still sense some ambiguity.[/quote]

Bonaventurian wrote:

Look, Zet! I am typing stuff on my keyboard, and the computer somehow amazingly makes stuff appear on the screen. It's as though I'm asking my computer to do something, and the computer, being rational, understands what I am demanding of it, and is acting so as to proccess my request.

Wait...oh yeah, computers aren't rational. This is the point I initially made. We cannot gauge rationality or a lack thereof based on behaviors. Something can appear to act rationally (like the apes) but still not be rational.

So I suppose what it comes down to for me is this:

Can you or anyone else, without appealing to behavioral patterns, demonstrate rationality and deliberation in animals?

I have a basic reason for believing otherwise: Rationality procedes from the rational soul, and it is in this way that we have been created in the image and likeness of God...but animals have not been created in the image and likeness of God, but rather for our benefit...they don't have rational, immortal souls.

I sure would like to see you prove rationality, a soul. I don't personally see the point in an immortal soul nor do I believe that I nor anyone else possesses one, save for the poetic sense that 'he who lives in the present lives in eternity'.

Note that by admitting that rationality cannot be deduced by behavioral patterns you concede that it cannot be shown that any human other than yourself has rationality. See the zombie thought experiment : Philosophical zombie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't necessarily consider people so far removed from computers. We are of course far more complex, and we have a system by which intent is developed; certain things are made a priority over others, and our actions develop as a result of desired outcomes and empirical data. That we can confuse ourselves is not any refutation of this.

I would say that when it comes down to it, it is pretty clear that man is removed from other animals only by a very slight degree, he is better at getting what he wants. Better at organizing his surroundings to optimize personal benefit. We still work towards self interest, even if we fool ourselves into thinking otherwise.
xris

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Im just amazed your ability to be rational overcame your youthful lust..I would have been very shallow and agreed with her for that moment of fulfillment .Very admirable but not logical. To be serious we have lost the ability to associate our need to feed and the animals rights .Modern living has blinkered our views of the meat we eat..Be compassionate and be passionate.
Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:50 pm
@Bonaventurian,
I have no qualms with eating meat, but you seem to mistake the action of a majority of the animal rights groups. Most seem to act against prolonged cruelty to animals, such of testing of products that burn its flesh, but that's somewhat beside the point.

Consider the psychological aspect of this. Most tests back in the early days of the science were done on animals, such as Brady's experiment on monkeys and Selye's General Adaptation Syndrome theory based on rats. Both of these have been proven transferable to the human examples, though Brady's is somewhat faulted, perhaps because the monkeys were in an alien setting. Anyway. If the human mind is provenly related to that of an animal, can it truly be said that they can't feel?
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:02 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Many animals seem to have the ability to think, but what they do not seem to have is rational thoughts, thus, they are incapable of deliberation. Some animals though, seem to have the ability to reason (e.g. apes, chimpanzees, orangutans).

The soul argument has little validity to it. Just because humans have theorized on this soul for thousands of years does not mean that it actually exists. The idea of the soul to me seems rather odd, and a nice way to comfort oneself knowing that death is inevitable.
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:06 pm
@xris,
Zetetic is probing the issue well. :poke-eye:

To say that animals and trees are the same in the extent that you are using is a pretty big claim. But I would ask for your definition of what it means to think because it seems youre looking for more than just thought processes but for more of a metacognition ability. We share alot of the same brain functions and regions as other animals but our prefontal cortex is far more advanced.

Also I would wonder what your definition of animals is as well seeing how humans are animals too. Does Darwins theory coincide with your assertion? Because when it comes down to it, we dont really know if animals can think or even humans. There is no way to absolutely verify that an individual is conscious or anything else is conscious because our consciousness is closed off from other consciousnesses. Instead we go by behavior. And rationality of course!:shifty: Solipsism is a bankrupt mindset. But I dont think you were implying solipsism but rather the human species altogether, right?
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
Is a person free to stay when we speak of it this way? I still sense some ambiguity.

I think so. The difference between a cat and a man is this:

The cat sees what may be a transgressor, and then it is compelled by its instincts to flee.

A man sees what may be a transgressor, and decides to flee.

They both surely may flee. Yet, one flees on account of compulsion, whereas the other flees on account of decision.

The cat could not have done anything except flee. The man, on the other hand, could have decided otherwise and remained in the same position. We see that this is the case when we consider the early Christian martyrs.

Quote:
I sure would like to see you prove rationality, a soul. I don't personally see the point in an immortal soul nor do I believe that I nor anyone else possesses one, save for the poetic sense that 'he who lives in the present lives in eternity'.

Prove rationality? It can't be thought for a moment that we are not rational. For you to prove that we are not rational, in proving that we are not rational you must use your reason.

When we think, it is necessarily true (as Descartes in his Meditations says) that we are thinkers. When we use our reason, it is necessarily true that we are rational.

Prove that we have a soul? As I have been implying, I direct you to Descartes' second meditation. I can doubt the world, the presence of colors, I can doubt space, extention, solidness...I can doubt all of this. I can doubt even my body. I cannot, however, doubt that I am, that I think, that I will, that I feel, etc. As Descartes says in his Meditations, and as Aristotle anticipates, I am not my body, but rather "I am a thing that thinks."

Quote:
Note that by admitting that rationality cannot be deduced by behavioral patterns you concede that it cannot be shown that any human other than yourself has rationality. See the zombie thought experiment : Philosophical zombie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will freely admit that it cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that other men are rational. Yet, I think that we have probable reason for thinking that other men are rational by the power of abstraction.

I am rational because of my manhood.
This other person is a man.
This other person therefore is rational.

This is substantially more than we can say about animals.

Quote:
I don't necessarily consider people so far removed from computers. We are of course far more complex, and we have a system by which intent is developed; certain things are made a priority over others, and our actions develop as a result of desired outcomes and empirical data. That we can confuse ourselves is not any refutation of this.

We are highly removed from computers. I think, I feel, I will, I deliberate, etc. A computer doesn't do these things. A computer might do exactly the same sorts of things that we do, but it will never decide anything, nor will any animal.
Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian wrote:
I think so. The difference between a cat and a man is this:

The cat sees what may be a transgressor, and then it is compelled by its instincts to flee.

A man sees what may be a transgressor, and decides to flee.

The man has the initial compulsion, but he has the ability to refer to past experience, to see the situation in a different way. It is not the man overcoming compulsion with reason, but past experience redirecting the man through other induced compulsions.

Surely you have seen a cat run in one instance, and yet not in another? For instance, if you live with a cat, it becomes startled if you run at it, but it might recognize your scent and no longer perceive you as a threat. If you were not known to the cat it probably still would have ran, just going by observation. I think that the man is working in a way analogous to the cat, but he can think in parallel, bring in more factors and sort more deliberately, however; the final decision is emotional.

Bonaventurian wrote:

The cat could not have done anything except flee. The man, on the other hand, could have decided otherwise and remained in the same position. We see that this is the case when we consider the early Christian martyrs.

See the above. The martyrs may have died for many reasons. If they died for the promise of eternal reward in the same way Muslim martyrs often do in this day and age, then they are still acting towards the same self interest that animals act in.

Bonaventurian wrote:
Prove rationality? It can't be thought for a moment that we are not rational. For you to prove that we are not rational, in proving that we are not rational you must use your reason.

Yes..do you understand that what I was saying was more to point out that this is indeed what you are doing, unless you assume it on faith? I do not believe that the human body and the human mind are separate, that is, I am a monist. I believe that there is a good chance that consciousness is a physical phenomena.
Bonaventurian wrote:

When we think, it is necessarily true (as Descartes in his Meditations says) that we are thinkers. When we use our reason, it is necessarily true that we are rational.

Prove that we have a soul? As I have been implying, I direct you to Descartes' second meditation. I can doubt the world, the presence of colors, I can doubt space, extention, solidness...I can doubt all of this. I can doubt even my body. I cannot, however, doubt that I am, that I think, that I will, that I feel, etc. As Descartes says in his Meditations, and as Aristotle anticipates, I am not my body, but rather "I am a thing that thinks."

I direct you to Wittgenstein's Tractatus logico philosophicus http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/tloph10.txt ,you doubt is palpably senseless:"6.51 Scepticism is not irrefutable, but obviously nonsensical, when it
tries to raise doubts where no questions can be asked. For doubt can exist
only where a question exists, a question only where an answer exists, and
an answer only where something can be said."
"
6.36311 It is an hypothesis that the sun will rise tomorrow: and this means
that we do not know whether it will rise.

6.37 There is no compulsion making one thing happen because another has
happened. The only necessity that exists is logical necessity.

6.371 The whole modern conception of the world is founded on the illusion
that the so-called laws of nature are the explanations of natural
phenomena.

6.372 Thus people today stop at the laws of nature, treating them as
something inviolable, just as God and Fate were treated in past ages. And
in fact both are right and both wrong: though the view of the ancients is
clearer in so far as they have a clear and acknowledged terminus, while the
modern system tries to make it look as if everything were explained.

6.373 The world is independent of my will.

6.374 Even if all that we wish for were to happen, still this would only be
a favour granted by fate, so to speak: for there is no logical connexion
between the will and the world, which would guarantee it, and the supposed
physical connexion itself is surely not something that we could will.

6.375 Just as the only necessity that exists is logical necessity, so too
the only impossibility that exists is logical impossibility."
You doubt the world, but in doing so you doubt that you doubt, for you are within the world. This is senseless. 'I think therefore I think that I am thinking that I think that I am' You see, that you are is that you experience, not that you think, for thought can be considered from the view that it is simply organized experience, organized by what? Well, maybe by you, maybe not, perhaps you sense of making a decision is an illusion, for is it not possible that the possibility for you to have done something else, never presented itself, but it seemed as though it did?

Descartes is old hat. Read 0)Kant (1)Nietzche(Beyond Good and Evil) 2) Sartre(Being and Nothingness) 3) Frege 4) Wittgenstein (Tracttus Logcio Philosophicus, then Philosophical investigations) and you will surely have a new perspective.

Also, I did not mean to imply that a computer was anything like a human, but that it is POTENTIALLY like a human. That a non-human entity could easily be constructed that makes decisions based on an eveolving system of priorities. If we simply define a set of meta priorities, such as the will to survive, a maximization should occur to create a sub priority in some situation. For instance, the computer in a robot would recognize the potential destruction of its robotic limbs if it were about to fall from a known height. Whether this is a decision is debatable, but os is whether humans in actuality decide by a similar mechanism, consciously or not. Is the conscious a construction of the subconscious?
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:43 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian wrote:

This is terrible proof of the existence of the soul. How does thinking imply the existence of the soul? As I have said, theorizing about the potential of something does not mean that it actually exists.

The fact that some animals are capable of simple problem solving proves that some animals have the capacity to think. Does this mean that these animals have the a soul as well if thinking sets apart man from beast?
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:24 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Descarte's meditations were full of holes at best. He doesn't actually prove anything and actually contradicts himself regularly.

Don't confuse eloquence with truth.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
@Icon,
Animal rights has nothing to do with the intellectual capacity of the species in question. Animal rights arguments typically revolve around the notion that purposefully causing harm is immoral. As animals have the capacity to feel pain, including psychological pain, causing harm to animals is possible. As to cause harm is immoral, causing harm to animals is immoral.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:01 pm
@Bonaventurian,
The., it's very simple:

I can doubt my body.
I cannot doubt that I am.

Given Leibniz's law of identity, it follows that I am not my body.

@ Icon:

If there are contradictions, feel free to point them out.
Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:05 pm
@Bonaventurian,
How can you doubt your body if it is indisputable as to the fact you exist, and there is a clear link between body and mind?
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:07 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian wrote:
The., it's very simple:

I can doubt my body.
I cannot doubt that I am.

Given Leibniz's law of identity, it follows that I am not my body.

@ Icon:

If there are contradictions, feel free to point them out.

If nothing else your body is your vehicle. Therefore, you are somewhat your body. Your body limits what you can do in many capacities. Some people obviously have strength in many physical attributes allowing them to do things that others can not. But you are also your mind as that helps you deliberate through you through your days. Whether you are something beyond that is up for debate, but good luck on any sort of objective verification. Sure you are conscious, but that is really nothing other than awareness of your own existence, and the ability to change your course of actions based upon deliberative thought.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
How can you doubt your body if it is indisputable as to the fact you exist, and there is a clear link between body and mind?

Suppose we are not bodies, but rather are etherial minds, being deceived by some Evil Demon that we have bodies? Seriously, read the Meditations.
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:52 pm
@Bonaventurian,
It sounds to me as though it's doubt for the sake of doubt. As an empricist, I wouldn't care if there was an evil demon persuading me of the world. I see the world. I am. I interact with the world. This is all that really matters about life, because that's what life is.

Seriously though, of all the things for an evil demon to persuade an ethereal mind about, persuading us that we have bodies and moulding this whole reality around us? What's the point?
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:54 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Regardless, we can conceive it. I can doubt my body, but not that I am. Therefore, since my body possesses a quality which I myself do not (able to be doubted), they are not identical. I am not my body.
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:01 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Can you not also doubt who you are? What if this evil demon is you, and you fail to realise it. By conceiving this we can conceive that we can doubt our minds as well as out bodies. Also you never truly did adress my point on the link between mind and body, it would be nice if that was answered.

Thirdly, you may not be your body, but your body is you. No matter how your flesh-shell, that is crafted to how you want it by what you do, may be different to the concept of mind, remember that it is you. Mind-Body seperation theories seem to sometimes lead to detachment from the world around the person, which is foolish beyond all measure.