Emergence proves determinism

Bones-O

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 07:20 am
@click here,
click here;65931 wrote:
So then do you agree with my 2nd thought in my OP? That even though cause it unknown one can only expect for emergence to be deterministic? If so then the atheist can not pull away from a deterministic universe and still must expect to realize that free will is still non existent?

If I had to put all my chips on one colour, yes, I'd wager that, for instance, consciousness was a deterministically (but not necessarily predictably) emerging process. By free will, do you mean libertarian free will? I think libertarian free will is fairly absurd anyway - the notion of being able to 'do otherwise' ignores the linearity of time, that we only get one shot so we can never do otherwise. You don't need to look to determinism to see its flaws, but, yes, it was defined to be incompatible with determinism.

Compatibilist free will is much more sensible, stating that a person could do otherwise if (s)he had chosen to. This is really no different to saying "the ball could have landed further away if I'd thrown it further" - it's practically a truism. The contingency on choice allows for a determinist choosing process. This is how I understand free will, as essentially having the ability to do any of the choices considered but the necessity to do only one.
click here

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 07:27 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;65979 wrote:
If I had to put all my chips on one colour, yes, I'd wager that, for instance, consciousness was a deterministically (but not necessarily predictably) emerging process. By free will, do you mean libertarian free will? I think libertarian free will is fairly absurd anyway - the notion of being able to 'do otherwise' ignores the linearity of time, that we only get one shot so we can never do otherwise. You don't need to look to determinism to see its flaws, but, yes, it was defined to be incompatible with determinism.

Compatibilist free will is much more sensible, stating that a person could do otherwise if (s)he had chosen to. This is really no different to saying "the ball could have landed further away if I'd thrown it further" - it's practically a truism. The contingency on choice allows for a determinist choosing process. This is how I understand free will, as essentially having the ability to do any of the choices considered but the necessity to do only one.

What do you mean by 'ability to do any of the choices'.
xris

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:01 pm
@click here,
click here;65981 wrote:
I enquired on another thread ,do you believe in a soul?
click here

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:31 pm
@xris,
xris;66024 wrote:
I enquired on another thread ,do you believe in a soul?

Well it depends on how you define 'soul'. I surely do not have a concrete stance on the whole topic. But I do believe there is an immaterial essence in every person. I don't know if it is there at conception or there during later stages in a babies life. Though I do believe that God places it there in every human being.

So my opinions lie 'possibly' with option two in my OP. Emergence could very well be deterministic, so in that case option two would remain a plausible choice.

I hold that all atheists are bound to accept a deterministic view point. In doing so 'free will' and 'consciousness' as defined in their general sense are illusions.
nameless

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:44 pm
@xris,
xris;65948 wrote:
Free will – is our understanding wrong? - life - 01 August 2007 - New Scientist Excuse me but is it certain? Suarez does not appear to agree in this article.

Another pathetic attempt (this time by t'Hooft) to make 'reality' comfortable. To make the old and comfortable (beliefs) 'fit'. 'Moving the goalposts' is a cognitive fallacy.
Not only does Suarez not agree, his experiment disproves t'Hooft's hypothesis.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:44 pm
@click here,
click here;66034 wrote:
Well it depends on how you define 'soul'. I surely do not have a concrete stance on the whole topic. But I do believe there is an immaterial essence in every person. I don't know if it is there at conception or there during later stages in a babies life. Though I do believe that God places it there in every human being.

So my opinions lie 'possibly' with option two in my OP. Emergence could very well be deterministic, so in that case option two would remain a plausible choice.

I hold that all atheists are bound to accept a deterministic view point. In doing so 'free will' and 'consciousness' as defined in their general sense are illusions.
You continually confuse me,as believer in god could you confirm your views on free will and its relationship to the soul.I'm an atheist,agnostic, and free will is a certainty.Determining events by previous events is not a conclusion i ever came to.
click here

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 01:33 pm
@xris,
xris;66039 wrote:
You continually confuse me,as believer in god could you confirm your views on free will and its relationship to the soul.I'm an atheist,agnostic, and free will is a certainty.Determining events by previous events is not a conclusion i ever came to.

You mean explain how it works? Free will in relation to a soul and God? I don't know the answer to that, nor does the Bible teach much on that, but there are theories.

You confuse me very much as well. You are an atheist whom believes in free will as a fact of life with no room for question. That takes more faith then for me to believe in God. You have your cake of science yet your eating away with it with your belief in a free will. Soon you will have to reject science or reject free will. You can't have both. I don't care what experience tells you. It's like believing in unicorns yet being a member of an organization whom professes disbelief in mythical creatures. It is as if you say you swear you've seen a unicorn before yet you have no issue being a part of an organization whom denies belief in mythical creatures...

Do you see how absurd that sounds? That is what you are doing.

Let me give you another example. It would be if I were to accept evolution and that man is a descendant of Apes YET I believe God made Adam and Eve as the first humans as depicted in Genesis....

Sounds ridiculous right? Well that is what you are doing.
xris

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 02:35 pm
@click here,
click here;66055 wrote:
You mean explain how it works? Free will in relation to a soul and God? I don't know the answer to that, nor does the Bible teach much on that, but there are theories.

You confuse me very much as well. You are an atheist whom believes in free will as a fact of life with no room for question. That takes more faith then for me to believe in God. You have your cake of science yet your eating away with it with your belief in a free will. Soon you will have to reject science or reject free will. You can't have both. I don't care what experience tells you. It's like believing in unicorns yet being a member of an organization whom professes disbelief in mythical creatures. It is as if you say you swear you've seen a unicorn before yet you have no issue being a part of an organization whom denies belief in mythical creatures...

Do you see how absurd that sounds? That is what you are doing.

Let me give you another example. It would be if I were to accept evolution and that man is a descendant of Apes YET I believe God made Adam and Eve as the first humans as depicted in Genesis....

Sounds ridiculous right? Well that is what you are doing.
i believe that everything is determined to the point that if i sow a radish with luck a radish will grow.The free will we have been given will be the fate that is decided by us.I dont believe in a conceived god as im not privy to that knowledge but i do believe in a soul..and i am an atheist.Everything is written but it is by us.Everything is determined but it is by our free will that it is determined.When the BB emerged, your emergence, everything was possible by design, but i am an atheist.
click here

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 02:54 pm
@xris,
xris;66070 wrote:
i believe that everything is determined to the point that if i sow a radish with luck a radish will grow.The free will we have been given will be the fate that is decided by us.I dont believe in a conceived god as im not privy to that knowledge but i do believe in a soul..and i am an atheist.Everything is written but it is by us.Everything is determined but it is by our free will that it is determined.When the BB emerged, your emergence, everything was possible by design, but i am an atheist.

I would guess that you stand rather alone in your beliefs.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 05:15 pm
@click here,
click here;65981 wrote:

Hi. Simply the recognition that there exist several feasible actions available for consideration in response to a particular stimulus. For instance, if a glass falls from a table, I can consider catching it or jumping away. Both are feasible. In principle there is no reason why I should not choose one over the other - therein lies the degree of freedom. However, which I choose must be determined by me, and whichever I choose I do so for a reason: i.e. I converge to a single decision deterministically. Thus at the event of action, I have a 100% determined course of action. There is no 'otherwise', only this one action I have converged upon. But this process of convergence takes place within me: I do it, no-one else, and this convergence of multiple possibilities to a single, definite action is what I know as free will.

It is perhaps more understandable in contrast to its opposite, where I could not consider any alternative course of action, i.e. there are no feasible alternatives to consider but the one I did in fact choose.

This is why I reject the rather fatalist overtones of much argument against free will: they ignore the fact that the transition from multiple possibilities to a single definite action is a process that I do, and no-one else. That this process is deterministic does not remove me from that process.
Joe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:02 pm
@Bones-O,
I'm struggling with my thoughts on this subject (Free will/Determinism) so please bare with me.

If we live in a Determinist's Universe, Then it would apply to all objects and not exclude certain things that would sit outside of Determinism This is my (Very) basic understanding.

So with this understanding, Free will is an Illusion based on Human Complexities of the mind. But in a Deterministic Universe, the complexity doesn't change or exclude The Human perception and consciousness from causality. Logically speaking. Is this Right?

Thanks
xris

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:03 am
@Joe,
Joe;66120 wrote:
I'm struggling with my thoughts on this subject (Free will/Determinism) so please bare with me.

If we live in a Determinist's Universe, Then it would apply to all objects and not exclude certain things that would sit outside of Determinism This is my (Very) basic understanding.

So with this understanding, Free will is an Illusion based on Human Complexities of the mind. But in a Deterministic Universe, the complexity doesn't change or exclude The Human perception and consciousness from causality. Logically speaking. Is this Right?

Thanks
I think so..but the argument on a scientific deterministic idea means that the BB was directly responsible for you writing this post.I see it as one of those silly inane ways of reasoning.There are so many imponderables, so many insignificant events ,to even consider it is madness.Even now it might be that QM has decided certain events can occur without a cause, so it is all academic nonsense..in my opinion..We may be product of our genes or nurture but we can still control our destiny by our choices, however much we have been influenced.
Joe

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:25 am
@xris,
xris;66156 wrote:
I think so..but the argument on a scientific deterministic idea means that the BB was directly responsible for you writing this post.I see it as one of those silly inane ways of reasoning.There are so many imponderables, so many insignificant events ,to even consider it is madness.Even now it might be that QM has decided certain events can occur without a cause, so it is all academic nonsense..in my opinion..We may be product of our genes or nurture but we can still control our destiny by our choices, however much we have been influenced.

I think that Im leaning away from the Deterministic theory. Ive only been picking at it for a couple hours, but There are people who have brought up some logical problems that I cant get past or answer.

Philosophy wise, Determinism doesnt seem to support any type of choice when it comes to Virtue or moral compass. If we are all rocks bouncing down a hill then whats the purpose of condeming someone for murder if they are but a result of causality and have no choice in the matter.

I'll keep at it for little, but its a pretty fundamental flaw to ignore, philosophically.
xris

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:37 am
@Joe,
Joe;66159 wrote:
I think that Im leaning away from the Deterministic theory. Ive only been picking at it for a couple hours, but There are people who have brought up some logical problems that I cant get past or answer.

Philosophy wise, Determinism doesnt seem to support any type of choice when it comes to Virtue or moral compass. If we are all rocks bouncing down a hill then whats the purpose of condeming someone for murder if they are but a result of causality and have no choice in the matter.

I'll keep at it for little, but its a pretty fundamental flaw to ignore, philosophically.
I think to a certain degree there is some justification in this view but not to the extremes it has been commended.Will an uneducated child always create an ignorant adult?i don't think so.A christian child a priest make more likely than a muslim child, i would think so.I think everything is written but we write it.
Joe

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 04:10 am
@xris,
xris;66161 wrote:
I think to a certain degree there is some justification in this view but not to the extremes it has been commended.Will an uneducated child always create an ignorant adult?i don't think so.A christian child a priest make more likely than a muslim child, i would think so.I think everything is written but we write it.

If there is no choice or 2nd option in a deterministic Universe then what you "Think" is Right or Wrong does not exist. There is only one path to take for everything and everyone. Therefore, no one can be judged or critized for there actions. Ive yet to find something that shows purpose and reason for human ethics and morals in determinism.
xris

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 04:29 am
@Joe,
Joe;66163 wrote:
If there is no choice or 2nd option in a deterministic Universe then what you "Think" is Right or Wrong does not exist. There is only one path to take for everything and everyone. Therefore, no one can be judged or critized for there actions. Ive yet to find something that shows purpose and reason for human ethics and morals in determinism.
If its true we might just as well consider philosophy as just an obstacle to determinism.Its the final answer, the formula for life.
Kielicious

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 02:48 pm
@xris,
Determinism is not the same as fatalism. To me, determinism actually gives you MORE freedom than indeterminism because where's your 'choice' or 'free-will' in a random indeterministic universe? How could you ever make a decision or hold anyone responsible in a russian-roulette type atmosphere? Determinism follows a reliable logical pattern so that if a scenario did come up you would have more of a 'choice' or 'free-will' to choose the 'correct' pathway given past experiences.

Say you're trying to survive as long as possible in a deterministic universe. Unfortunately, a giant meteor is going to halt those plans and put an end to you and everyone else on earth. Now, given our (current) past achievements and knowledge of meteors, what they are made of, their trajectories, what kind of weapon (if we had to use one) would be most effective against it, when it's going to hit earth to find the point-of-no-return, etc. etc. we would have a pretty good chance of surviving and avoiding this catastrophe.

What about in an indeterministic universe?

Seeing how there are no logical reliable patterns to follow and its all 'random' so-to-speak, we wouldnt be able understand anything about the incoming meteor. It could hit at anytime, anywhere, for any reason. Our fate would certainly be sealed. We would have no past experience to even judge it's slope or trajectory. So where's our 'free-will' in that? If there was an indeterministic universe we wouldnt even survive long enough to even know it. If we even could!

Maybe Dennett can make more sense than me:
DD wrote:
Because if determinism is true, then there's less randomness. There's less unpredictability. To have freedom, you need the capacity to make reliable judgments about what's going to happen next, so you can base your action on it.
Imagine that you've got to cross a field and there's lightning about. If it's deterministic, then there's some hope of knowing when the lightning's going to strike. You can get information in advance, and then you can time your run. That's much better than having to rely on a completely random process. If it's random, you're at the mercy of it.
A more telling example is when people worry about genetic determinism, which they completely don't understand. If the effect of our genes on our likely history of disease were chaotic, let alone random, that would mean that there'd be nothing we could do about it. Nothing. It would be like Russian roulette. You would just sit and wait.
But if there are reliable patterns -- if there's a degree of determinism -- then we can take steps to protect ourselves.
0 Replies

yffer

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:32 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:

There is only one path to take for everything and everyone. Therefore, no one can be judged or critized for there actions.

Judgments can be determined.

Quote:
Ive yet to find something that shows purpose and reason for human ethics and morals in determinism.

In (absolute) determinism human ethics and morals and reasons for them can be determined. There is a 'reason' for thinking and believing X is good or bad, and that reason is determined, including the rational behind it.

But determinism is a strange thing, and it is difficult to articulate this strangeness. If (absolute) determinism is the case then all thoughts and beliefs about determinism being true or false and the positions taken, are determined. There is zero free will, yet the ideas and feelings can deterministically arise that there is free will.

Determinism, if true, cannot be known to be true (or false). For that one would have to exit the determined world and cease to be its product where that which appears to be known and not known, and believed and not believed etc. is force fed. The problem with that is, the big, big problem is that the 'You' in a deterministic world is determined. For this You there can be no exit, for to exit is to cease to be.
Joe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:38 am
@yffer,
yffer;66622 wrote:
Judgments can be determined.

In (absolute) determinism human ethics and morals and reasons for them can be determined. There is a 'reason' for thinking and believing X is good or bad, and that reason is determined, including the rational behind it.

But determinism is a strange thing, and it is difficult to articulate this strangeness. If (absolute) determinism is the case then all thoughts and beliefs about determinism being true or false and the positions taken, are determined. There is zero free will, yet the ideas and feelings can deterministically arise that there is free will.

Determinism, if true, cannot be known to be true (or false). For that one would have to exit the determined world and cease to be its product where that which appears to be known and not known, and believed and not believed etc. is force fed. The problem with that is, the big, big problem is that the 'You' in a deterministic world is determined. For this You there can be no exit, for to exit is to cease to be.

Your forgetting the logical contradiction of morals applyed to a rock falling down a hill. Complexity doesnt make us logically diferent or outside of a determinist's unviverse. Our thoughts about the future or reflection is only a illusion if you claim a deterministic belief. If you dont understand my problem with the core of the theory i'll try to explain it better.
0 Replies