A repudiation of the historical argument against religion

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:05 am
all too many times, when discussing religion, and Christianity in particular, I hear from the lips of atheists the same stupid facile argument 'Religion is bad and causes wars' or 'religion has repressed women' or 'religions have burned heritics' For one thing their view of how good or bad religion has been in the past tends to be historically dodgy, but more fundamentally their objection to religion causing wars is not so much that they object to wars regardless of the reason, but that they cannot deal with the fact that anyone would care enough about somthing they believe to be imaginary to the extent they would fight a war over it. The real problem is that they seperate religion from idealogy as a cause of war. For instance what if I was to say 'communists killed millions of people, and did hideous things all in the name of equality, so therefore we should get rid of equality.' Now I imagine that at this point you will want to say 'ah but the communists actually did this not simply for equality, but for greed, hatred or power, in fact equality had nothing to do with it.' which is entirely true and fair, and I appluad my imaginary repudiator for it. However what I hope you have already realised is that the same applies to religous conflict. People have killed in the name of religion (just like communists and equality) but what they were really killing for was greed, power or hatred. If this was linked to their religion, thats bad, but it hardly makes relgion an inherantly bad thing, no more than democracy is inherently bad becuase it once elected george bush and hitler.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 889 • Replies: 13
No top replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:34 am
@avatar6v7,
I would interject that 'religion,' in its broadest sense, is a very different catagory from a particular belief-system. Communisim, as practiced in the shape and entity of a nation state (nationalism) is a belief-system too--I would argue.

I would posit that by far most all animals kill for any of the thinkable, various levels of greed, hatred, or desire of power over others, and that the H. sapien would do it with or without most belief-systems. In the same breath, I would add that most all belief-systems that humanity has come up with to date, have cultivated a general state of social disposition which has historically been more negative and less productive in outcome than what a simplier educational form emphasizing the basic social bonding traits--such as altruism, reciprocation, and self-constraint for the common good, and so on--could have done.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:38 am
@avatar6v7,
I don't think this is a repudiation of the historical argument.

The most consistent historical argument - the one proposed by ancient Greek atheists - had little to do with religion's utility as a tool of war and more to do with the lack of evidence to support supernatural beliefs.

This would seem to me to be atheism's longest and most consistent beef with theism.

There is also the long standing suspicion among certain non-believers that the very essence of organised religion is that of a con job, the village witch doctor relying on the credulity of his followers to earn him a crust, as evinced by this Roman joke:

JESTICUS MAXIMUS: I say, I say, I say - what does a haruspex say when he meets another haruspex?
AUDIENCE PUNTERUS: I have no idea, do tell.
JESTICUS MAXIMUS: Nothing - they are both too busy laughing. Boom! Boom!

This would strike me to be the historical case for atheism. Stuff like the inciteful character of certain religious types is just window dressing really.

As a second point, to say that "some things are just as bad" is not a repudiation - it is more like an acknowledgement of the argument alongside a claim that theism is no worse than other ideologies.

So what? Is it in religiousity's favour that it isn't any worse than other methods of war-mongering?

The reason this point comes up so often, I think, is that religion is so often touted as a path to moral superiority. Theists often say of people with different beliefs than their own that they do not have a moral code - clearly an insulting and rather dubious claim. An easy way to repudiate this claim is to point out how often religious beliefs have been manipulated to motivate people to wage war on one another (or repress women, or pervert education, or justify terrorism, or cover up sex crimes committed by clergy, or execute putative blasphemers and heretics, or other morally rebarbative things religious institutions have allowed or encouraged).

Hence why it comes up so regularly.

This is not to say that atheists think religion is the ONLY motivational factor in such issues, or that it is even the worst such factor.

It is just to point out that, if religion really enlightened people as to good behaviour, or admirable moral qualities, or a peaceful way of life - it surely wouldn't be so easy to associate it with it's uglier side and adherants.

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:23 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
I don't think this is a repudiation of the historical argument.

The most consistent historical argument - the one proposed by ancient Greek atheists - had little to do with religion's utility as a tool of war and more to do with the lack of evidence to support supernatural beliefs.

This would seem to me to be atheism's longest and most consistent beef with theism.

By historical I meant the argument using history as an attack on religon, not every single argument ever made in history against religion. I feel like saying 'dah' here but I am just going to have to restrain myself.
Dave Allen wrote:

There is also the long standing suspicion among certain non-believers that the very essence of organised religion is that of a con job, the village witch doctor relying on the credulity of his followers to earn him a crust, as evinced by this Roman joke:

JESTICUS MAXIMUS: I say, I say, I say - what does a haruspex say when he meets another haruspex?
AUDIENCE PUNTERUS: I have no idea, do tell.
JESTICUS MAXIMUS: Nothing - they are both too busy laughing. Boom! Boom!

This would strike me to be the historical case for atheism. Stuff like the inciteful character of certain religious types is just window dressing really.

Since you don't really have any evidence for that beyond 'there have been people who've made stuff up' I don't really think that one can fly. For a start there are infinitly simpler and less difficult ways to con people than making up entire cosmologies. Also I don't quite see how you square your view of on the one hand people being naturally faithless, and on the other of being totally credulous of anything they are told.
Dave Allen wrote:

As a second point, to say that "some things are just as bad" is not a repudiation - it is more like an acknowledgement of the argument alongside a claim that theism is no worse than other ideologies.

So what? Is it in religiousity's favour that it isn't any worse than other methods of war-mongering?

No my point was that all idealogies have been used as an excuse to do evil at some point- I can name evil democratic leaders, unpleasent feminists, fake charities and corrupt societies. All are twisting somthing good to ill purpose.
Dave Allen wrote:

The reason this point comes up so often, I think, is that religion is so often touted as a path to moral superiority. Theists often say of people with different beliefs than their own that they do not have a moral code - clearly an insulting and rather dubious claim. An easy way to repudiate this claim is to point out how often religious beliefs have been manipulated to motivate people to wage war on one another (or repress women, or pervert education, or justify terrorism, or cover up sex crimes committed by clergy, or execute putative blasphemers and heretics, or other morally rebarbative things religious institutions have allowed or encouraged).

Hence why it comes up so regularly.

This is not to say that atheists think religion is the ONLY motivational factor in such issues, or that it is even the worst such factor.

It is just to point out that, if religion really enlightened people as to good behaviour, or admirable moral qualities, or a peaceful way of life - it surely wouldn't be so easy to associate it with it's uglier side and adherants.

Well to this I will simply point out that my own countries problems (the UK that is) have increased even as religous belief and church attendance has waned. Obesity, people drinking just to get drunk, drugs, knife crime, gun crime, divorce, child abuse and the gap between rich and poor have all worsened since the decline of religion in the UK. Do I think that atheists are inherently less moral than the religous? No. But I think that even atheists need moral societies, and no secular principle has helpled form such a society.
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:26 pm
@avatar6v7,
By historical I meant the argument using history as an attack on religon, not every single argument ever made in history against religion. I feel like saying 'dah' here but I am just going to have to restrain myself.
Oh how very martyrly of you. Do you want something approaching an adult debate here or shall we just insult one another? If your original post hadn't been quite so unclear and unlettered perhaps I would have better grasped the cut of your jib. Learn to spell and use paragraphs, and try and communicate what you actually mean if you don't want to be misconstrued.

Duh.

Quote:
Since you don't really have any evidence for that beyond 'there have been people who've made stuff up' I don't really think that one can fly. For a start there are infinitly simpler and less difficult ways to con people than making up entire cosmologies.
Most people involved in the business of religion don't make anything up though, they just learn what was made up by their predecessors. The obvious example of inventing a religion from the ground up in pursuit of profits would be L Ron Hubbard, who told an audience at a writer's convention that they would all become richer quicker inventing religions - before going on to found the church of scientology. Joseph Smith was a convicted con artist who, shortly after his release from prison, was inspired to invent Mormonism. Inventing cosmologies is something writers of sci-fi and fantasy do all the time - it's just that most of them don't bother to try and convince their readers that what they have invented is true.

Quote:
Also I don't quite see how you square your view of on the one hand people being naturally faithless, and on the other of being totally credulous of anything they are told.
It is not my view that people are naturally faithless, neither is it my view that people are naturally believers in the supernatural. I think there's a sliding scale between someone who craves spiritual guidance and distrusts those who don't, and someone who feels no need for it and distrusts those who do. I think credulity is a different quality - not limited to religious stance - and that people with atheistic stances can be as credulous as hardcore Hindus.

That said, the credulity of those who do believe has been a big earner for those who have sought to exploit them.

Quote:
No my point was that all idealogies have been used as an excuse to do evil at some point- I can name evil democratic leaders, unpleasent feminists, fake charities and corrupt societies. All are twisting somthing good to ill purpose.
Sure. But so what? Your original point was (as far as I can tell given how obfuscatory I find your inimical style) to bemoan that people criticise religion for it's failings in this regard.

However, people do criticise poor political leaders, unpleasant social pundits, incompetent managers, etc.

So I still don't see how your claim that the putative historical argument against religion is, as you put it, "facile" and "stupid". On the contrary! By your own testimony it is as credible as criticising an unpopular political system, such as fascist or communist totalitarianism.

Quote:
Well to this I will simply point out that my own countries problems (the UK that is) have increased even as religous belief and church attendance has waned. Obesity, people drinking just to get drunk, drugs, knife crime, gun crime, divorce, child abuse and the gap between rich and poor have all worsened since the decline of religion in the UK. Do I think that atheists are inherently less moral than the religous? No. But I think that even atheists need moral societies, and no secular principle has helpled form such a society.
I hope you don't claim that religion is the only social factor to have gripped the UK in recent times.

Gun crime, for example, is more clearly linked with availability of guns than religious belief. Whilst there has been a spike in gun crime in recent years it is nowhere near as pronounced as when handguns were legal in the UK - during a time of greater church attendance.

Child abuse is certainly not a bigger per capita crime now than it was 100 years ago. I'm surprised to see an advocate of religion try to pin child abuse on some sort of secular trend - given the current furore over abuses committed by catholic clergy in Ireland.

Prison populations also show a disparity towards the religious. Divorce rates have been shown in studies to be lower amongst couples who are not religious, for example:

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

Besides which, so what? I think people should separate if they are unhappy together. Divorce isn't a sign of poor morals. People get tired.

I think a sedentary lifestyle and access to increasingly high calorie food probably affects obesity more than theological stance.

Also, take a look at these problems in comparison to those of the Northern European countries such as Denmark. These countries are even more post-religious than the UK, but have a much higher standard of living and very cohesive societies.

Obviously a comprehensive study is beyond me, but I do think something like, ooh, population density might have more to do with the problems that the UK faces rather than indoctrinating people to share values along religiously prescribed lines.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:02 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

I realize that you may not actually feel that clergy are conmen but this needs to be said about this example.

Given the, (simplest) known forms of human government the somewhat egalitarian band system, Why would anyone consider any occupation a 'con job'. Bands do not have superfluous roles in their communities, and said witch doctors are not reputed to have been the equivalent of paid clergy. They work for their food like anyone else. But this is not a rant on shamanism or medecine people. What I'm saying is that cultures do not really create lasting structures and systems that lack necessity. Just like any other system it is subject to corruption and manipulation, but religion/Spirtuality and its esteemed positions of authority at one point filled a need in people and likely still do.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:22 pm
@GoshisDead,
KaseiJin wrote:

In the same breath, I would add that most all belief-systems that humanity has come up with to date, have cultivated a general state of social disposition which has historically been more negative and less productive in outcome than what a simplier educational form emphasizing the basic social bonding traits--such as altruism, reciprocation, and self-constraint for the common good, and so on--could have done.

Then how do you respond to the fact that nearly every significant world religion (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, ect) emphasize the basic social bonding traits such as altruism, reciprocation, self constraint, concern for the common good, and so on? That these traditions teach these practices? That these practices are the heart of the aforementioned traditions?
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:23 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
I realize that you may not actually feel that clergy are conmen but this needs to be said about this example.

Given the, (simplest) known forms of human government the somewhat egalitarian band system, Why would anyone consider any occupation a 'con job'. Bands do not have superfluous roles in their communities, and said witch doctors are not reputed to have been the equivalent of paid clergy. They work for their food like anyone else. But this is not a rant on shamanism or medecine people. What I'm saying is that cultures do not really create lasting structures and systems that lack necessity. Just like any other system it is subject to corruption and manipulation, but religion/Spirtuality and its esteemed positions of authority at one point filled a need in people and likely still do.

I pretty much concur with this myself, with a few clarifications.

I suppose what a hardcore atheist would posit - what I see people like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins tend to aim for - is that there is no such 'need' - and the funding, time and effort expended on meeting it would be better employed elsewhere.

Such a pipe-dream sounds interesting - but it can only remain a pipe-dream. I tend to agree more with John Gray that the religious impulse may have a lot in common with the sexual impulse - and that repressing it may just lead to it manifesting in perverse forms that are actually more damaging than those actually practiced. The resurgence of religion in places like the former soviet union also points to this.

I imagine many people feel a need to have certain metaphysical questions clarified - this seems to be a fundamental need in humans. Perhaps it is because we are products of some sacred creation, perhaps it is because such a need fulfills an evolutionary purpose. Thise who fulfill this need through a particular method will naturally see the methods used by others as - from their subjective standpoint - a waste of time.

Hence why some people sneer at Philosophy I suppose - because they don't see the need to examine such problems in such detail.

But yes, I agree - there is a vague quality added to human life through all manner of people who claim to have some sort of supernatural communion, whether witch doctors or palmists or satanists or storytellers or clergy - and even though most people dismiss a degree of this stuff as mumbo jumbo, only a very few dismiss all of it.

I wouldn't like to live in a world without such colour myself - though I do feel that adherants to a particular set of beliefs are denying themselves, and such self-denial is more uniform and striking amongst the followers of certain religions. I feel religion is a personal tragedy for the adherant really, rather than some dreadful social blight.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:48 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;59486 wrote:
Then how do you respond to the fact . . . social bonding traits such as altruism, reciprocation, self constraint, concern for the common good, and so on? . . .
('elipsis' mine)

My understanding (and argument) is that these, especially H. sapien traits, have developed before the major belief-systems that have been created and spread among social demographic groups. I would not say--as I had hoped to have expressed the concept clearly enough, but may not have--that these traits are of a non-religious fabric, but rather, that the belief-systems did adopt them, emphasize them, and urge their members to apply them (most especially to the in-group) does not have rating creditability for any particular belief-system.

If we were to strip all the belief-systems of everything other than these natural H. sapien traits, we would have a single, world religion. And I do hope that it is clear enough now, that by the term 'religion,' I am not talking about a belief-system, but about an emotional, behavioral propensity that we find most strongly (not only, I might add) in the H. sapien.

I would go on to add, nay, recommend, that we do just this--strip the belief-systems of their individual, negative (as regards a number of non-natural social restrictions) and less productive-in-outcome tenets, and arrive at that 'near-John Lennon's-Imagine-scene.' [not no religion, but no belief system beyond that of a most natural understanding build]
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:56 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin wrote:

My understanding (and argument) is that these, especially H. sapien traits, have developed before the major belief-systems that have been created and spread among social demographic groups. I would not say--as I had hoped to have expressed the concept clearly enough, but may not have--that these traits are of a non-religious fabric, but rather, that the belief-systems did adopt them, emphasize them, and urge their members to apply them (most especially to the in-group) does not have rating creditability for any particular belief-system.

That these traits existed prior to the current major belief systems does not separate these traits from religion. The major world religions have changed over time. The first were Earth Mother and Sky God cults, and these seem to have existed as long as Homo Sapiens have existed.

KaseiJin wrote:
If we were to strip all the belief-systems of everything other than these natural H. sapien traits, we would have a single, world religion. And I do hope that it is clear enough now, that by the term 'religion,' I am not talking about a belief-system, but about an emotional, behavioral propensity that we find most strongly (not only, I might add) in the H. sapien.

What traits of religion are necessarily not natural to our species? I emphasize necessarily because the living conditions of our species have, and still do, vary greatly and because of these differences in our species' situation we find a variety of different traits.

KaseiJin wrote:
I would go on to add, nay, recommend, that we do just this--strip the belief-systems of their individual, negative (as regards a number of non-natural social restrictions) and less productive-in-outcome tenets, and arrive at that 'near-John Lennon's-Imagine-scene.' [not no religion, but no belief system beyond that of a most natural understanding build]

The problem I think you will have is that people live in diverse circumstances and, therefore, have different needs. Until everyone lives under the same conditions, we will need a plurality of religious practices.
Aphoric

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:41 pm
@avatar6v7,
I dig this thread, and generally agree.

I have always maintained that when religion gets mixed with politics, bad stuff happens. However, I've generally been more inclined to blame politics than religion.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:43 pm
@Aphoric,
Neither politics nor religion is to blame. The problems are personal problems: greed, egotism. When you have, for example, a political system in which a number of greedy, egotistical people operate the problems grow exponentially.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 09:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I appreciate your notes there, Didymos Thomas, and would hope to clarify a bit, and pursue some of the notions somewhat further--to the extent that it doesn't amount to wandering too off topic.

You have, as should be most obvious to those who peer into such matters, spelled out the main condition of nature through the passage of time in line with what is more reasonably understood. In clarification, the emotional propensity is what I term religion--although I like to use a slightly spun sense involved in one possible take on the word religiosity.

Therefore, I aruge that it is more pragmatic (and historically realistic) a view to understand that these belief-systems have built further upon (in some cases) or simply adopted other notions applied along with (in some cases) the prior natural religiosity of the H. sapien brain. For this reason, and all the while only tracing back with our present knowledge, the additional ceremonial and structural/legal aspects of the theological development of these belief-systems can, indeed, be surgically removed from the pure natural brain build.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
What traits of religion are necessarily not natural to our species? I emphasize necessarily because . . .
(elipsis mine)

In taking your present use of the word 'religion' here to equal 'belief-system,' I agree with that underlying notion, as being the best one available to our aggregate knowledge today--no problem there. In application, however, I would suggest that it would be undermining the value of our presently achieved-through-ages-of-struggle, empirical knowledge to work backward in time without keeping it in the forefront, when making efforts to arrive at a more universal humankind state.

The communities of H. sapien, with little room for dispute, have steadily grown towards a single, larger community. Through a more throrough educational program, we should bolster understanding so as to relieve the downside of the present various belief-systems. Therefore, what may have been thought to have been necessary then, and what may be thought to be necessary now, can be shown to not be naturally necessary (nor to have been naturally necessary then).

As an example, it not a natural necessity for a human to feel any imposed guilt for having sex along the lines of their personal orientation. It is not a natural necessity for a person to conditioned into a mental state so as to demand that another person orally and actively acknowledge the existence of a certain non-material 'being' as opposed to another acknowledged-by-others non-material 'being.'

I fully disagree with the last sentiment, and argue that it is side-stepping the nitty-gritty 'known-to-be-true .vs. known-to-be-untrue [and the inbetween of the bell curve]' (if you will) of the present. However, I cannot deny that no such thing will happen any time soon . . . due, as you have pointed out, to how that fact bears on the quality of education.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:21 am
@avatar6v7,
As an atheist, I can personally say that I would never use the unfounded statement that religion is the root of all evil as an argument against religion. Some atheists, like Hitchens, say that they believe religion is the cause of most of the evil in the world, but that's just not true. It's true that religion has and does sometimes cause civil conflict and sadistic behavior in its name but it's not the only hangup we humans have. Neophobia, greed, malice, xenophobia, nationalism, and an inherently corrupt socio-economic system are the causes of most of our societal problems.

My beef with theism in particular, is its claim of divine revelation and supernaturalism. My beef is mostly epistemic and metaphysical. I also have an ethical beef with some of the statements that religious "holy books" make.
0 Replies