Some Poems about Fairies

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:06 am
Greenteeth

Did you see Arbor Low, did you see Doll Tor?
Did you visit the Nine Ladies of Stanton Moor?
At the end of the day did you let the brothers play
by the River Wye's green banks? Well I give you my thanks.

I stretch out a full reach & I pick me a flower,
I drag it kicking & bubbling to my drowning bower.

'You know, one these days the boys will dive like whales!'
You boasted at the pool during their first armbanded flails.
Yes he was taught how to swim as soon as he could begin,
& then, length after length, you amazed at his strength.

Now its no use to struggle, its no use to tussle,
this undertow is stronger still, this current has muscle.

Did you make him a throne of the tall Andle Stone?
At Arbor Low did cold winds blow & chill him to the bone marrow?
Did you see him pelt a pebble at a Merlin in the sky?
Did you see him holding to his breast a crawling butterfly?

Was he loved by his mother? Did he quarrel with his brother?
These ties that bind are torn asunder as I drag him under.

The Rawhead

Old Aunt Agnes sits and knits,
says: "Stay away from old marl pits.
In old marl pits the Rawhead sits,
he'll pull the arms from your armpits,
pop your eyes and eat your bits,
oh, heed my advice you little nitwits!"

Philly Joe was a brave young cove
and Little Ninny, oh so skinny.
Angelo who was want to rove
with Tricky Vicky - this is sticky.

says: "stay away from old marl pits.
In old marl pits the Rawhead sits
and he'll grind your bones to make his grits,
snack your skull, swallow and spit,
oh, heed my advice you little shits!"

But they're out the door and climb the streets
and up the wolds and through the heath.
They'll not stay away from old marl pits,
they'll brave the lair where Rawhead sits.

But when they get there it's a scene of dread,
human bones and giblets, hanging from gibbets,
they'd underestimated old Rawhead,
he's a famishing Ogre - no fey Flibbertigibbet!

Philly Joe thinks of having a go,
but Rawhead's roaring frightens him, so
he runs and hides behind Angelo,
pulls Tricky Vicky to and fro.

He says to Rawhead "Don't eat me,
I've a medical complaint and I taste sickly,
eat Angelo and Tricky Vicky
and Little Ninny - hid within the spinney.
She may be lean but she's fit for the Queen.
She may be lean but she tastes supreme!"

says: "Stay away from old marl pits."
And Philly Joe heeds her advice,
he went there once and won't go twice,
he'll stay away from old marl pits,
his lesson's learned and he's better for it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,230 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Catchabula

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 04:22 pm
@Dave Allen,
Why did this remain largely unnoticed? Is it because so very few people can feel the magic of places nowadays, the presence of the "genius loci"? Beware maidens, when you go through the haunted woodlands of Weir around the time of Yule. Beware the Stone of Sacrifice, where once the blood of innocents flew, making that ground an evil place. Better sit with me at the cracking fire, and shiver at the howling of the winds... or is it an evil sprite? Come nearer, and I will tell you the story of the seven daughters of Gwyn Raggle, who all loved the young Laird of Brynn...
Wonderful poems!
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:22 pm
@Catchabula,
Man, that's strange.... I saw Stanton Moor and my mind hit Stanton Moore, the drummer. In the second poem you mention Philly Joe - and, of course, Philly Joe Jones is a legendary drummer. Just struck me ass odd.

i enjoyed the poems, Dave, thanks!
Catchabula

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:44 pm
@Dave Allen,
And do I hear the muttering Voice of Joyce?? Take Old Erin, mix in some whiskey (a Redbreast, by preference), and we'll sing bawdy songs together. And then a story.... Aye, tell me about Ireland, tell me ALL about Ireland. Cuchulainn lives, and Deirdre is my love!

YouTube - Celtic Woman - the Voice
Dave Allen

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 12:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;77772 wrote:
Man, that's strange.... I saw Stanton Moor and my mind hit Stanton Moore, the drummer. In the second poem you mention Philly Joe - and, of course, Philly Joe Jones is a legendary drummer. Just struck me ass odd.
I liked the name when I heard it in a Tom Waits song - Heartattack and Vine - I'm not sure if he was referring to the drummer or not. "Little Ninny" is from a Captain Beefheart song - Moonlight on Vermont - I just thought they sounded like an interesting pair of characters. Stanton Moor is a very picturesque part of the Peak District National park, and the Nine Ladies and other locations are megalithic sites in the area.

Thanks to you and Catch for the kind words - I wrote these as lyrics for a band I played in a while back.

---------- Post added 07-17-2009 at 01:46 PM ----------

Catchabula;77785 wrote:
And do I hear the muttering Voice of Joyce?? Take Old Erin, mix in some whiskey (a Redbreast, by preference), and we'll sing bawdy songs together. And then a story.... Aye, tell me about Ireland, tell me ALL about Ireland.
Sorry to disappoint, but the places mentioned are from Derbyshire in the English midlands (though the Rawhead is thought to be an Irish myth originally). I think it's a terribly underrated part of the British Isles, Arbor Low in particular is stunningly wierd, like a giant 2,000 year-old clockface:

http://www.britcastles.com/circles/arbor-sky.jpg
0 Replies

Catchabula

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:13 pm
@Dave Allen,
A book! A book! My kingdom for a book! Has anyone ever read Scott Peck's "In Search of Stones"? A trip through the western British Isles, combined with an autobiography, and seeking for megalithic monuments as a metaphor of seeking for sense... Hm, what the point was? Thanks for the clarification, but I chose imagination. And a Redbreast tastes good everywhere, no? ;-)
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:53 am
@Dave Allen,
I've not heard of that one - I'll add it to my list of books to seek out. I really like "The Modern Antiquarian" and "The Megalithic European" by Julian Cope, and Aubrey Burl is another author of texts on megalithic sites.
Caroline

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:18 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;78081 wrote:
"The Megalithic European" by Julian Cope, and Aubrey Burl is another author of texts on megalithic sites.

I've got that one, it's good.
0 Replies

Catchabula

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:23 am
@Dave Allen,
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:41 am
@Dave Allen,
I really would recommend the Megalithic European if you haven't yet read it, it's expensive but it's a huge full colour hardback that covers sites throughout Europe from Ireland to Greece.

Plus, the author wrote "World Shut your Mouth".

Megalithic European: The 21st Century Traveller in Prehistoric Europe: Amazon.co.uk: Julian Cope: Books

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GS499Y9TL._SS500_.jpg

Julian Cope's long-awaited follow up to The Modern Antiquarian, his bestselling and critically acclaimed guide to ancient Britain. The Megalithic European takes us on a breathtaking journey around prehistoric Europe's first temples.

Contents
* The Megalithic European is a monumental colour guide to the standing stones and ancient temples of prehistoric Europe.
* In a 6-year personal odyssey (leaving no stone unturned) Julian Cope covers 300 of the important sites of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean.
* The book looks further, revealing several thousand years of information which scholars have previously ignored, to the Classical temples of the Eastern Mediterranean and Aegean Seas.
* Section 1: a series of essays, looking at the universal desire of all settlers: to celebrate and mythologize the landscape in which they have chosen to live, highlighting comparisons with British settlements.
* Section 2: a gazeteer of the many ancient sites in Europe that Julian Cope has personally visited, from Ireland to the Netherlands, from Crete to Denmark, discussing many areas outside the European arena, from Mount Ararat in Armenia to Mount Fuji in Japan, via the celebrated Mount Olympus of the Greek Myths to the legendary Tree of Yggdrasil of the Norse Myths.
xris

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:55 am
@Dave Allen,
Stone Circles in Cornwall These are a few that are a stones throw from me.The best ones are the little known ones where you can meet your ancestors.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:10 am
@Dave Allen,
This one's very close to Carrickfergus, where I live. I've no idea what it's called or if there are any legends attached to it - those most such stones in the area are about 2,000-3,000 years old and mark the graves of celtic chieftains.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LpWqyL3qcQQ/SbZvo6kmy0I/AAAAAAAAABs/VlW-K8VN8OU/s320/29122008223%5B1%5D.jpg
0 Replies

Catchabula

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:53 am
@Dave Allen,
Well hm, it looks a bit like a hm you-know-what. But that's an old part of the magic of the Stones no, to be read as a fertility symbol. By the way Xris, are you familiar with Daphne Du Maurier? Wrote a good booklet on Cornwall if I remember well.
xris

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:29 am
@Catchabula,
Catchabula;78098 wrote:
Well hm, it looks a bit like a hm you-know-what. But that's an old part of the magic of the Stones no, to be read as a fertility symbol. By the way Xris, are you familiar with Daphne Du Maurier? Wrote a good booklet on Cornwall if I remember well.
Daphne Du Maurier she has a strange connection,her husband was the fool who let Arnhem go ahead against intelligence advice.she was supposed to have suggested the red beret and the pegasus for the parachute regiment.
She really captures the atmosphere of cornwall and sadly it has changed a lot since i moved here forty years ago.All the 18c. cornish,as i describe them, have nearly all died out.Entering a cottage with the smell of the range and parafin lights.Earth covered floors with chickens picking at the crumbs as my host ate his pastie.The yellow paint work stained after centuries of wood smoke and pipe tobacco.Simple but warm hearted folk,used to hard labour and with a faith that i envied.I on occassions meet similar souls but they are few and far between.I would not live anywhere else.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 08:26 am
@Catchabula,
Catchabula;77785 wrote:
And do I hear the muttering Voice of Joyce?? Take Old Erin, mix in some whiskey (a Redbreast, by preference), and we'll sing bawdy songs together. And then a story.... Aye, tell me about Ireland, tell me ALL about Ireland. Cuchulainn lives, and Deirdre is my love!

YouTube - Celtic Woman - the Voice

Thanks Catch, Erin Go Bragh (A bit o'me bones a rattlin')

William

---------- Post added 07-18-2009 at 10:02 AM ----------

William;78107 wrote:
Thanks Catch, Erin Go Bragh (A bit o'me bones a rattlin')

William

Ahh, but another.

YouTube - Celtic Woman - Orinoco Flow

William
0 Replies