Does "human nature" really exist?

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:52 pm
I'd love to hear other's views on this, as the b/f and I have been disagreeing on this. I believe it does.
We are certainly formed by our environment and experiences with time, but a newborn baby is the most unadulterated form of human nature that exists, and a newborn baby- and we- are intrinsically selfish and curious, just for example, and how this develops or diminishes has only to do with our environment.
TBH, I'm weary of hearing of Marx's theories. :thats-enough:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:17 pm
@Riverdale,
Sure it does. Humans have a number of innate, genetic tendencies that are not a product of environment. I am no expert, to be sure, but this is how I believe it to be.

We have to be careful on this though, because of this: How prevalent they become, to what extent they're expressed or (more significantly) whether or not they're able to be realized at all is at the mercy of ones' environment. But yes, I too believe we have a number of species-related behaviors (curiosity and selfishness too) that are endemic to the human animal.

Hope this helps
Riverdale

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:35 am
@Khethil,
Thanks for the brilliant answer, and it's exactly what I think- but I'm almost disappointed!
Doesn't anyone have a different view?
(Or are we all so clever here? :shocked: Smile)
jgweed

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:45 am
@Riverdale,
What if there are two kinds of human nature? On the one hand, there is the automatic responses to events ingrained in humans as well as in all locomotive animals. Avoidance of danger, child-bearing, etc.
On the other hand, there is the learned kind of human nature of the society into which we are thrown, and is unique to human meaning.

This position, though, does not seem to account for the unique ability of humans to view themselves as such in time and space, and all the attendant attributes this implies (guilt, Aristotelian wonder, rational choice and so on).
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:50 am
@Riverdale,
Riverdale wrote:
I'd love to hear other's views on this, as the b/f and I have been disagreeing on this. I believe it does.
We are certainly formed by our environment and experiences with time, but a newborn baby is the most unadulterated form of human nature that exists, and a newborn baby- and we- are intrinsically selfish and curious, just for example, and how this develops or diminishes has only to do with our environment.

Human nature does exist, but it is not merely biological.

There are natural human qualities that are a part of adults that are not a part of children.
0 Replies

Drxminus1

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:58 am
@Riverdale,
We all have a chance to move beyond human nature. We can use our power of logic and advance beyond our current understanding and perhaps get a bigger picture of life and its purposes. We have been given time and what are we doing with it? We can use more of our time to advance our thinking and move beyond self gratification and perhaps uplift those we interact with by word and deed.
0 Replies

Riverdale

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:08 am
@Riverdale,
What's the difference between hman nature and instinct, in everyone's opinion?
I haven't looked it up, but isn't instinct anything to do with keeping the human species alive?
I think one has to be careful to differentiate there....
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:00 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
What if there are two kinds of human nature? On the one hand, there is the automatic responses to events ingrained in humans as well as in all locomotive animals. Avoidance of danger, child-bearing, etc.
On the other hand, there is the learned kind of human nature of the society into which we are thrown, and is unique to human meaning.

This position, though, does not seem to account for the unique ability of humans to view themselves as such in time and space, and all the attendant attributes this implies (guilt, Aristotelian wonder, rational choice and so on).

There are two kinds of human nature. The rational and the non-rational. This would mean that the humans unique ability to view themselves would go into the rational category and so would the learned human nature.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 07:05 pm
@Riverdale,
I'm not convinced that there are any consistent patterns of "human nature," at least not when considering cognition. Everywhere I look, everyone I see is a product of his/her environment and nothing else. Everyone seems to assume that there is a certain way people will act, if put in a vacuum. But how do we know our "instincts," especially those outside of physical instincts, aren't learned? The poster above me referred to the dichotomy as rational and non-rational. Clearly we have non-rational instincts--ie, the instinct to eat and move use our limbs for their purported utility. One need only look at a newborn baby to see this. But I have yet to come across any evidence that convinces me that man's thought process is subject to a natural pattern other than that which is learned and ingrained from others.
Khethil

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:30 am
@rhinogrey,
rhinogrey wrote:
I'm not convinced that there are any consistent patterns of "human nature," at least not when considering cognition. Everywhere I look, everyone I see is a product of his/her environment and nothing else. Everyone seems to assume that there is a certain way people will act, if put in a vacuum. But how do we know our "instincts," especially those outside of physical instincts, aren't learned? The poster above me referred to the dichotomy as rational and non-rational. Clearly we have non-rational instincts--ie, the instinct to eat and move use our limbs for their purported utility. One need only look at a newborn baby to see this. But I have yet to come across any evidence that convinces me that man's thought process is subject to a natural pattern other than that which is learned and ingrained from others.

These are tendencies, propensities and commonalities, not "consistent patterns". It seems you may be taking the concept far too literally. And no, not everyone assumes, "... there is a certain way people will act" in any given situation.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

topnotcht121

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:01 pm
@Riverdale,
Riverdale;32481 wrote:

Human nature i believe is based primarily on psycho-physiological drives. For some people ignoring one or more of those drives can be deadly, like most species, instincts and drives account for most of ones survival, but just like any other species, humans are not special. Nature is just that "Nature" wheather human or other wise. It exist!
0 Replies

Drxminus1

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:15 pm
@Riverdale,
If there is a human nature it is something that is earthy and a bit self-centered. There is a higher nature which looks to upgrade existance through the development of the higher aspirations. If we only seek self gratifacation where is the joy of life? We have our intelect and our need to find happiness that provide us with the tools to improve our state of being. Religion and philosophy help to lift our lives beyond the mundane animal pursuits to selfless upliftment of others and give's us hope (which animals appearently don't have). Without hope life is a very difficult ordeal that can end badly.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:17 pm
@Riverdale,
I would say that "human nature" exist as a concept. And that it cannot exists outside or behind such concepts, at least not for conceptual beings such as ourselves. Such is our human nature.

I like the etymology of "nature."

Quote:

nature http://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gifc.1300, "essential qualities, innate disposition," also "creative power in the material world," from O.Fr. nature, from L. natura "course of things, natural character, the universe," lit. "birth," from natus "born," pp. of nasci "to be born," from PIE *gene- "to give birth, beget" (see genus).
locke91

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:27 am
@Reconstructo,
An interesting study I read about that pertains to this discussion of human nature analyzed the personality traits of genetic twins and fraternal twins. Genetic twins reared apart were found to be more likely to share certain characteristics of their personalities than fraternal twins reared together. These findings suggest that one's genetic makeup has more to do with personality than environmental factors. If genetics is truly such a large factor in determining personality, what are the repercussions? Do we as humans really have as much control over who we are as we think we do?
0 Replies