Patriotism vs. Nationalism

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:00 pm
In the context of semantics, how do you differentiate patriotism from nationalism, if you believe it can be done? It what terms do you differ? Does one serve as a basis for the other, or can they manifest independently?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,241 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Doobah47

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:21 pm
@zefloid13,
I'd say language is the basis of nationalism, yet is also the basis of the cognitive issue that is patriotism - in that one might be 'patriotic' for a region within a nation, perhaps relevant to accent differences etc...

Essentially, prejudicial conduct is the formation of both, yet one is relevant (imo) more to social category and the other to economic politics.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:07 pm
@Doobah47,
The patriot loves his country enough to dissent.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:00 pm
@zefloid13,
"It must never be unpatriotic to support your country against your government. It must always be unpatriotic to support your government against your country."

--Stephen T. Byington
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:26 am
@zefloid13,
Patriotism is an individual's love for one's country: nationalism is the concept that the nation-state is the over-riding political value with specific rights, etc., and that a particular instance has legitimate claims to be one.
One may think of the first term as a psychological description of an individual, and the second as a political movement. The two terms may overlap or not, just as an individual may be placed with a class or group or not.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 07:31 am
@zefloid13,
Hmmm,

Patriotism, I see as a devotion or love for ones' country. Nationalism has this element, but I believe is differentiated by the view that one's country is superior in one way or another. Looking through some definitions, I think this is a consistent explanation.

zefloid13 wrote:
Does one serve as a basis for the other, or can they manifest independently?

I wouldn't think these two concepts to be independent at all, simply because it's hard to imagine one having a nationalistic view without some element of patriotism.

Thanks
0 Replies