Subjective Experience

Kielicious

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... I think to say that there is a "limitless supply of SEs" is to imply something that isn't there ... there is no such limitless supply ... there are only the subjective experiences of individual life processes - subjective experience cannot exist in the absence of a life process ... and what is the causal reason for life processes to exist? ... perhaps you won't agree with my answer, but here it is: thermodynamic disequilibrium - it's the driving force behind a large number of self-organizing processes, to include life ...

ugh...it seems i cannot express my thoughts clearly enough. The answers you are giving are diverse and may be borderline non-sequitor, but no offense intended, for the problem is probaly with me and my rather opaque articulation.

Im not saying SEs are independent of a living agent and are floating around waiting to be indentified. Nor am i saying a life process isnt a required prereq... but rather there has to be some reason, in a causally closed environment, that my SE was formed. For why is my SE not someone else's? or even a different species of creature at that? or why now? why not 500 years ago or 500 years later? I hope this is more transparent than before, but it feels more redundant than ever...
paulhanke

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:21 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
... but rather there has to be some reason, in a causally closed environment, that my SE was formed. For why is my SE not someone else's? or even a different species of creature at that? or why now? why not 500 years ago or 500 years later?

... 14 billion years ago, the Big Bang set into motion a causal chain that 14 billion years later resulted in the rise of humans on a tiny planet in a remote arm of a nondescript galaxy ... why them? why then? why there? ... to which the simple answer is: why not? ... something had to happen - we're just living proof that something did happen ... I think the answer to your question is similar ... a number of decades ago your parents conceived a new life in you ... why you? why now? why here? ... well, someone had to happen - you're just living proof that someone did happen ... beyond that simple answer, I have not been able to venture without quickly becoming mired in mysticism - so for now that simple answer is all I have to offer (sorry!) ...
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:00 pm
@BaCaRdi,
Hi all,Smile

Something seems to be miss here, subjective experience is a biological readout, thus, reality is what your biology says it is, different biology different readout. your subjective experience is apparent reality, in order to simulate that apparent reality you would need to simulate your biology-----no?
paulhanke

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:02 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Hi all,Smile

Something seems to be miss here, subjective experience is a biological readout, thus, reality is what your biology says it is, different biology different readout. your subjective experience is apparent reality, in order to simulate that apparent reality you would need to simulate your biology-----no?

... quite right Smile ... my mistake was that I thought the question being posed by K was to the effect that if you were to somehow record every atom of my being and then after I die create an exact duplicate of me - would that duplicate be me? ...
boagie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:15 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... quite right Smile ... my mistake was that I thought the question being posed by K was to the effect that if you were to somehow record every atom of my being and then after I die create an exact duplicate of me - would that duplicate be me? ...

paulhanke,Smile

In essence yes, but, you would be a totally different personality, in essence we are all the same, it is only through our experience in making our way through the world that we gain an identity. That is not to say in saying we are all the same in essence, that there is not some variation to our constitutions, but if every atom was replicated then that constitution I would think would be intact. Consciousness in its essence is anonymous, our experience is what we come to believe we are as an individual/identity. If you were identical in your reconstruction, in order to be the same person your experience of your environment would have to be duplicate as well, and seeing as change is constant in the physcial world, that would be an impossiability.
Kielicious

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:38 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
paulhanke,Smile

In essence yes, but, you would be a totally different personality, in essence we are all the same, it is only through our experience in making our way through the world that we gain an identity. That is not to say in saying we are all the same in essence, that there is not some variation to our constitutions, but if every atom was replicated then that constitution I would think would be intact. Consciousness in its essence is anonymous, our experience is what we come to believe we are as an individual/identity. If you were identical in your reconstruction, in order to be the same person your experience of your environment would have to be duplicate as well, and seeing as change is constant in the physcial world, that would be an impossiability.

To what extent are you saying the new "me" and the old "me" are the same? For I am not interested in the illusion of the self (if that is what you are implying) but rather the pure subjective experience of consciousness.

To paulhanke: I applaud your patience with me.Smile
boagie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:52 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
To what extent are you saying the new "me" and the old "me" are the same? For I am not interested in the illusion of the self (if that is what you are implying) but rather the pure subjective experience of consciousness.

kielicious,Smile

"The pure subjective experience", what do you mean by this, do you mean what is pure consciousness? Pure consciousness without the contemplation of the physcial world as its object does not have an identity, it is anonymous even unto itself. So, there would be nothing really to state. "The self in one, is the self in all." Upanishads There simply is no distinctions between one self and that of another. The soul function of a subjective consciousness, a self, is to merge with its object the physcial world, only then does it acquire identity, and forgets it anonymous nature. You cannot have a subjective experience without the physical world, and that my friend, is your everyday experience.
paulhanke

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:54 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
To paulhanke: I applaud your patience with me.Smile

... no applause necessary - you've been making me think, and for that I should be thanking you Wink ... hopefully boagie can help you find what you're looking for ...
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kielicious,Smile

"The pure subjective experience", what do you mean by this, do you mean what is pure consciousness? Pure consciousness without the contemplation of the physcial world as its object does not have an identity, it is anonymous even unto itself. So, there would be nothing really to state. "The self in one, is the self in all." Upanishads There simply is no distinctions between one self and that of another. The soul function of a subjective consciousness, a self, is to merge with its object the physcial world, only then does it acquire identity, and forgets it anonymous nature. You cannot have a subjective experience without the physical world, and that my friend, is your everyday experience.

I suppose i mean the first person perspective of consciousness, the subjectiveness of consciousness. It seems that if we could reproduce or just produce consciousness, it will never be exactly the same. The first person perspective will never be the same. For if we did have the ability to copy cell for cell neuron for neuron and have all the immediate material requirements to reproduce the SAME first person perspective, it just wont happen. If we did reproduce an agent with all your material and signiture qualities it will still lack the same first person experience. However please correct me if Im wrong, but from talking to a fair amount of neuroscientists they agree that the two wouldnt share the same first person perspective. Not trying to appeal to authority, just looking for answers.
0 Replies