These are my stages of life with the idea based from Nietzsche's Master/Slave

alex717

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:07 pm
These classes, unlike Nietzsche's are more of stages, people may or may not move through some of these or all of these throughout their lives. Constructive criticism appreciated. Thanks

Masters: Finds security, comfort, and satisfaction through excellence, psychological strength, intelligence, and moral integrity. Develops own ideas and doesn't cease intellectual growth. Has the potential to reach enlightenment.

Shepherds: Finds security in materials, accomplishments, wealth, and success. Finds comfort in others acknowledgment of their success. Criticizes and judges others, themselves, and ideals narrowly. Succumbs to ideals that conform to their lifestyle, and will press to spread those among the "Masses".

Masses: Finds comfort blindly in their current state of mind. Comfort is achieved through simple pleasures and emotions. Finds security in moderate wealth, affordable materials, and security through a steady trade.Personal goals are media driven. Their society's general values and religion satisfies their spiritual curiosity.

Slave: Clings to others comfort, finds satisfaction in others discomfort, and is psychologically insecure. Fears judgment and feels as though they have be condemned to their state. They are satisfied when feeling any comfort from any outlet. Most prone to addiction and in some cases may suffer from impermanent or permanent psychological damage as a result of trauma.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,143 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boagie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:42 pm
@alex717,
Smile Alex,

The above seems to be social roles, not the stages of the individual life, example the baby, child, adolescence, maturity and old age. These are the true transitions we all have in common, and mythology on these stages of life can be a great help in understanding the present stage and/or dilemma of transition. There is to in Nietzsche somewhere, the three transformation of the spirit, the first is the child/infant, which then turns into a camel, upon which are stacked a heavy load of shoulds, the rules one must learn of any life displine, the camel grows ever stronger as it bares this load and wanders through the desert, then the camel turns into a lion. He is now strong and master of his art/displine, and can through his own knowledge discard some of those should be's, and as is stated by Nietzsche, he now becomes the wheel which rolls from its centre--he is autonomous, as autonmomous as full maturity allows of. Sorry if this is not quite what you intended to attract.
0 Replies

alex717

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 05:13 pm
@alex717,
Yea, roles seem sort of permanent i guess when i think of a role, seems like something more inflicted not accepted. But yes i agree thank you for your insight, i will read up!
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:13 am
@alex717,
The Nietzsche passage comes from Zarathustra, Part I, "On the Three Metamorphoses" that begins:
"Of three metamorphoses of the spirit I tell you: how the spirit becomes the a camel; the the camel, a lion; and the lion, finally, a child."

For Nietzsche, the master/slave was both an historical and psychologolical account of the origin of values. The former he saw as self-affirming and positive, the latter as the reaction of unhealthy ressentiment.
0 Replies

alex717

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:14 am
@alex717,
I just got the basic idea from him, morphed it into this
0 Replies

Faun147

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:55 am
@alex717,
alex717:

I find your concept and categorization to be very intriguiging. I think it's important for us to explore the sort of classifications you present because it has not been explored enough. Plus, it is a relevent subject, at least, for us human beings. We must remember, however, that although labels and categories are beneficial for studying things, there are always concerns because we human beings are very chaotic creatures. Overall, I find your categorization beneficial because it helps us examine ourselves scientifically, and also gives us a philosophical goal: to be the master and strive for his characteristics and to avoid becoming the slave. After all, we are dealing with the ideal-- and the ideal tends to be the perfect thing to strive toward. Smile
alex717

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:33 pm
@Faun147,
Faun147 wrote:
alex717:

-We must remember, however, that although labels and categories are beneficial for studying things, there are always concerns because we human beings are very chaotic creatures. -

Yes agreed, that is crucial insight, dead on, thank you for your post! ill cya around the forum!
0 Replies