Aedes

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
@Joe,
The issue is that Supreme Court cases are ALWAYS individual cases with plaintiffs and defendants. If the Court's decision becomes a referendum on an entire issue, it's because the particulars of their case are generalizable beyond that individual case.

So you can't make any kind of conclusion about Supreme Court decisions on taxation unless you are able to look at the specific cases and show that the defendant's exemption from tax liability has any relevance to a question about tax law or any relevance to anyone else. In other words, for you to cite these cases is meaningless when case law from the Supreme Court is commonplace, yet is conspicuously absent in this question. Furthermore, since the Supreme Court is responsible for Constitutional questions, you'd think that they've had ample opportunities to strike down the constitutionality of the IRS.

Finally, yes, you are correct that you'd have to survey the voting public about whether they'd want income taxes to know for sure. But come on, if you presented this in a way that made clear what our country would be like without income taxes, you know as well as I that taxes would win in a heartbeat.
Joe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:06 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

Finally, yes, you are correct that you'd have to survey the voting public about whether they'd want income taxes to know for sure. But come on, if you presented this in a way that made clear what our country would be like without income taxes, you know as well as I that taxes would win in a heartbeat.

I think that would first have to be discussed, which you know that never will happen. And so in my opinion we will continue to let the government to move and shake our money with out any observation. I may be young but I know what happens with that money. Our country spends it in the wrong ways and with out any REAL representation. Taxes should be as much as each individual wants them. In todays "democracy". which we all know it isn't. We have a central private bank. This bank has no laws, they make them.'

Check......
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
I think that would first have to be discussed, which you know that never will happen. And so in my opinion we will continue to let the government to move and shake our money with out any observation.

Except that observation exists - otherwise, how would you know enough to be sincerely concerned about the issue? Not only do we get word of what goes on with our tax money, and how much is unaccounted for, we also have the ability to discuss these matters, as displayed by this very thread.

Personally, I agree - we're going to continue and let the government to terrible things. I'm a little more concerned about dead civilians and the environment, but ridiculous spending is a serious matter. Let me guess, you do not think voting is a viable tactic against this liberal government? I agree, the voting system is corrupt. The only tactics left are violent revolution, which I do not recommend, or civil disobedience in one form or another. Prison has no appeal; I'll pay my taxes.

Joe wrote:
I may be young but I know what happens with that money. Our country spends it in the wrong ways and with out any REAL representation. Taxes should be as much as each individual wants them. In todays "democracy". which we all know it isn't. We have a central private bank. This bank has no laws, they make them.'

Actually, laws do exist regulating banks, but I would agree that these laws are marvelously flawed for the benefit of a few. This is terrible. And, yes, we spend money and all sorts of awful things. But spending time in prison, and paying the government even more money for the rest of your air sucking days is no way to fight the establishment, and that's exactly where you will end up by not paying income tax.

It's a good thing that you look around and see injustice and corruptness. Jefferson said that dissent was the highest form of patriotism. And I'm impressed by your determination to improve the conditions of your neighbors. Just trust me on this: don't do anything that will get you sent to prison.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
@Joe,
Joe;40959 wrote:
in my opinion we will continue to let the government to move and shake our money with out any observation.
Well, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. There may be many fine details we don't know about waste and inefficiency, but the federal budget is 100% open for everyone to review, discuss, call their senators and representatives about, and vote in response to.

That aside, isn't this another debate? I mean you've opened the thread raising the issue of whether income taxes are legal and enforceable; but now you're setting that argument aside and lamenting the government's use of money.

So which are you concerned about? Consider the following two hypothetical scenarios:

1. Taxation is legally 100% unassailable and perfect, but the government wastes money

2. Taxation is based on shabby, shoddy laws, but the government spends the money efficiently and wisely

I know, neither is accurate -- but can you please prioritize for us what your MAIN concern is?

Quote:
I may be young but I know what happens with that money.
What do you know that the rest of us don't? Are you too young to see some of the ways in which you depend on government spending?

Quote:
Our country spends it in the wrong ways and with out any REAL representation.
How would you alter our country such that you would consider representation "real"?

Quote:
Taxes should be as much as each individual wants them
Sure, I'm happy to drive on the interstate, submit bills to Medicare and Medicaid, get my training in a Medicare-subsidized residency program, apply for research grants from the NIH, have someone figure out what's causing that epidemic of viral hepatitis, have someone keep the nuclear power plant from dumping waste in my bathtub, accrue social security, and have someone build F14 tomcats to keep the Canadians from invading Vermont -- as long as everyone else pays for it.
Joe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 09:57 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Well, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. There may be many fine details we don't know about waste and inefficiency, but the federal budget is 100% open for everyone to review, discuss, call their senators and representatives about, and vote in response to.

That aside, isn't this another debate? I mean you've opened the thread raising the issue of whether income taxes are legal and enforceable; but now you're setting that argument aside and lamenting the government's use of money.

So which are you concerned about? Consider the following two hypothetical scenarios:

1. Taxation is legally 100% unassailable and perfect, but the government wastes money

2. Taxation is based on shabby, shoddy laws, but the government spends the money efficiently and wisely

I know, neither is accurate -- but can you please prioritize for us what your MAIN concern is?

What do you know that the rest of us don't? Are you too young to see some of the ways in which you depend on government spending?

How would you alter our country such that you would consider representation "real"?

Sure, I'm happy to drive on the interstate, submit bills to Medicare and Medicaid, get my training in a Medicare-subsidized residency program, apply for research grants from the NIH, have someone figure out what's causing that epidemic of viral hepatitis, have someone keep the nuclear power plant from dumping waste in my bathtub, accrue social security, and have someone build F14 tomcats to keep the Canadians from invading Vermont -- as long as everyone else pays for it.

Hey Aedes,

Your are not offering me any reflection. Instead you sound as if your defending our democratic government to the teeth. I'm not sure what thats about.

As to your general questions?

1. you turn arguments into black vs. white

2. oxymoron

3. Simply put, If YOU dont wanna pay taxes I dont think you should have too.

4. It doesn't count if your argument to number 3 is, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. because things are not all right. If you think so, your no wiser then when I'm Comfortable. Its easy.

5. Dont know where to take the thread from here.

heres a question that I dont know the answer to. How much value is behind the American dollar? What about if we unionize with Canada and Mexico.
Aedes

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:11 pm
@Joe,
Joe;40977 wrote:
Your are not offering me any reflection.
That's because you haven't offered anything to reflect upon. What I'm TRYING to do is to encourage you to follow through on your own points to see if legitimate philosophical issues can come from them. You've repeatedly avoided doing so.

Quote:
Instead you sound as if your defending our democratic government to the teeth. I'm not sure what thats about.
I'm playing devil's advocate (i.e. beyond the extent of my own beliefs) because I think you're making baseless assertions.

Quote:
As to your general questions?

1. you turn arguments into black vs. white
You changed the subject by whining about government spending about 40+ posts into a thread about codification of tax law.

I offered you a black and white dichotomy to give you the opportunity to choose which was more important. Are you avoiding the question, or do you not get it?

Furthermore, if you're offended by what you see as "black and white" dichotomies, perhaps you should give thoughtful responses rather than one word quips.

Quote:
heres a question that I dont know the answer to. How much value is behind the American dollar?
Relative to what? Relative to a slice of bread, relative to a chunk of gold, relative to a gallon of gas, or relative to a Euro? The value of the dollar varies.

Quote:
What about if we unionize with Canada and Mexico.
You mean economically unionize?

Funny, you don't strike me as someone who would like NAFTA very much.
Joe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 12:59 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
That's because you haven't offered anything to reflect upon. What I'm TRYING to do is to encourage you to follow through on your own points to see if legitimate philosophical issues can come from them. You've repeatedly avoided doing so.

I'm playing devil's advocate (i.e. beyond the extent of my own beliefs) because I think you're making baseless assertions.

You changed the subject by whining about government spending about 40+ posts into a thread about codification of tax law.

I offered you a black and white dichotomy to give you the opportunity to choose which was more important. Are you avoiding the question, or do you not get it?

Furthermore, if you're offended by what you see as "black and white" dichotomies, perhaps you should give thoughtful responses rather than one word quips.

Relative to what? Relative to a slice of bread, relative to a chunk of gold, relative to a gallon of gas, or relative to a Euro? The value of the dollar varies.

You mean economically unionize?

Funny, you don't strike me as someone who would like NAFTA very much.

Everything you said is becoming a back wards argument. It gets nowhere. Also NAFTA is of course a reality. But it leads to open borders and Giant homeland security issues. The government is of course not making sense once again. Gee golly. Money and control is all they practice any more. And everyone says yes sir may I have another.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 06:31 am
@Joe,
Ok, 2 strikes and I'm out. This thread has always struck me as an angry rant with little content. Now I'm convinced, especially since you're going off on tangents, avoiding pertinent questions raised by others, and lashing out. So seeya, and good luck with the IRS.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:18 pm
@Aedes,
Hey Joe. I didn't read this entire thread, but I support your observations that we do not have the representation we ought to have and that the govt. spends a lot of my money in ways I find reprehensible.

Anyway, your main proposition, that I am not legally bound to pay federal income tax, is something I hear from time to time, but without any assurance that it is true. I saw that you cited some case law, but I'm not sure the decisions and context of that case law support your primary claim. Simultaneously, I hear and read claims that it is indeed false, and such claims are supported by citation of standing legislation.

I went to wikipedia, and they present a summary of the arguments that have been offerred by tax protestors.

In each case, the indication is that the courts have not upheld the arguments.

Could you summarize your argument, or direct me to that part of the thread where you believe you have already done that?
Joe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:20 am
@Dichanthelium,
Well I have to admit Ive been thinking about how to explain why I dont think there is a Legal Income tax. Fact is I cant. So all I can do is try to provide some material to show what I agree with. This by no means is all the material you can find. But here is some of the best explanations Ive seen. Enjoy.

YouTube - Theft By Deception 1 of 9 Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 2 of 9 Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 3of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 4of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 5of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 6of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 7of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 8of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax

YouTube - Theft By Deception 9of9 - Deciphering The Federal Income Tax
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:26 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Sure they are. Otherwise no one would ever go to jail for not paying taxes. I have seen the documentary that supposedly 'proves' that no one has to pay taxes, but for some reason many that don't either end up paying more in the end, serving time, or both. As far as I know my father has never paid taxes--not to mention the IRS never bothered him--but I wonder whether they just know it is not worth their time to pursue. It wouldn't surprise me if you actually do not have to pay taxes, but in order to do so, you must not use government support programs or ever pay taxes to begin with, while also not working for anyone, or having others work for you. You never enter that system then to induce inquiries. In other words, you have to be a total economic outlaw of sorts to avoid taxes.

There actually are quite a few people who live outside of the system. My father was one of them also. Unfortunately, I had to get a real job when I was young. I think its okay if you want to be an outlaw like my dad was. Just don't expect any help when you get old and sick. Hopefully you will have set aside a few cash dollars in your mattress for your retirement.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:52 pm
@Joe,
I pay taxes so that vital state services can be provided. I pay taxes because I'm better off than others and I'm happy to support those who need it. If we didn't have taxes, I'd suggest them.
0 Replies