Please & Thankyou

Joe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:08 am
Im not sure where to begin with these two words. But I find Them interesting in a Logical platform.

Is Please and Thankyou, logical in their use? if so is it entirely accidental in language, or a product of our human nature?

I understand that we express these words when we are content(Thankyou) and, Faithful?(Please). Survival, also can be derived. What else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:15 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
Im not sure where to begin with these two words. But I find Them interesting in a Logical platform.

Is Please and Thankyou, logical in their use? if so is it entirely accidental in language, or a product of our human nature?

I understand that we express these words when we are content(Thankyou) and, Faithful?(Please). Survival, also can be derived. What else?

Good question.

I'd say they're probably more a result of Human Nature and our need to successful interaction than anything else. They don't *appear* to have any function within the realm of logic (except by drawing a non-direct correlation).

They seem to carry the intonation of 'consideration' of others as humans; dispensing warm fuzzies to express gratitude or pleading. I think that polite words like this go far in smoothing over the barriers to cooperation.

Thanks
jgweed

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@Joe,
Rather than look at the words themselves, it might be more to the point to look at the various social situations in which they are used. It would seem that for the most part, these are ritual words (much like "how are you?" which is not meant to be taken as a desire for factual knowledge of the Other).
We learn when it is appropriate to apply these social formulae at an early age (often re-inforced constantly in grade schools).
0 Replies

Joe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:40 am
@Khethil,
Khethil,

Quote:
I'd say they're probably more a result of Human Nature and our need to successful interaction than anything else.

I think so too. peaceful and/or agreed interaction involves gestures, in this case language, to establish vital steps in social survival.

Quote:
They don't *appear* to have any function within the realm of logic (except by drawing a non-direct correlation).

Also the act of Please, and receiving a Thankyou, is a setup for logic within itself.

Quote:
They seem to carry the intonation of 'consideration' of others as humans; dispensing warm fuzzies to express gratitude or pleading. I think that polite words like this go far in smoothing over the barriers to cooperation.

i think these two words also help individuals to remember the basics of human interaction, when dealing with others in complicated situations.

Quote:
Thanks

Thankyou.... and your Welcome. Theres another one I think falls to subject

jgweed,

Quote:

Rather than look at the words themselves, it might be more to the point to look at the various social situations in which they are used. It would seem that for the most part, these are ritual words (much like "how are you?" which is not meant to be taken as a desire for factual knowledge of the Other).
We learn when it is appropriate to apply these social formulae at an early age (often re-inforced constantly in grade schools).

I do also believe that these words are used often with empty meaning behind them. Which is to say that, There is some sort of line that should be drawn around these words to look at them philosophically.

As for different scenarios. How many times have you heard someone use these words in a sarcastic tone to express dislike. "Gee, Thanks".

And of course, Getting into the complex understandings, that a person might have individually towards the word thankyou. A good example would be in religion, when you might thank god. There definitely is a conflict of interest when you thank something, that is considered completely consciousness.
Fido

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:29 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:

They are formal extressions; what might in certain circumstances be called Cant; and yet as with all forms and formality, are also forms of relationship... Politics as politeness is, is the personality of any organization... It is a recognition in this case that we need each other, and we should know how often, especially in tough times, that it is the forms we accept that keep us off each other throats... Think of what one guy said in Ancient Greece, that no man cold shove a slave out his way for fear of shoving a fellow citizen... Isn't it terrible that those people were willing to see their society weakened and destroyed because the form of their economy, which empoverished one and enrichened another could not be limited, so that the natural forms of their relationship were held in contempt, until only the formality of it remained...
0 Replies

gabalus

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 05:13 pm
@Joe,
Logic used to deal with The Truth and The Fals [more or less I agree with Frege at that point]. But PLEASE and THANK YOU are kind of performative expressions. I don't know much about that stuff, but performative are neither true nor fals, they just state facts.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:57 am
@Joe,
Khethil wrote:
I'd say they're probably more a result of Human Nature and our need to successful interaction than anything else. They don't *appear* to have any function within the realm of logic (except by drawing a non-direct correlation).
Joe wrote:
Also the act of Please, and receiving a Thankyou, is a setup for logic within itself.

True, almost as if it enables the logic process to exist (by helping to eliminate one of the primary barriers to logic; emotional overreaction, for example).

Thanks
0 Replies