Metallica - All Nightmare Long

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
@Pangloss,
The vast majority of hip-hop/rap albums are bought by middle class white kids. As you would expect, the rap sold to these kids is licentious, materialistic drivel. And it's easy to stereotype a genre based on what we typically hear from said genre; in the case of rap, most of what we hear on the radio and blasting from cars is terrible.

However, I challenge those who categorically reject the genre to dig deeper. Listen to The Roots and A Tribe Called Quest, or the Jurassic 5, De La Soul, Ghost Face Killa or even Sublime (which was a hip-hop band, by the way).

Man has created many different types of art - and music is one of them. But not all types of art speak to people in the same way. For someone like myself, music is supreme. But for another, sculpture may be the zenith of artistic expression. It just depends on the individual and what speaks to that individual.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 03:50 pm
@Justin,
Justin;40389 wrote:
These were the guys who usually wore black, usually had tattoos, usually got into trouble, and usually were smokers not to mention the lack or responsibility when it came to school.
And most of my friends in high school who listened to metal went to ivy league schools. Most of my friends listened to the same music I did, they all went on to great schools and to have good careers and families. One wonders how they overcame their musical exposure.

Quote:
So Aedes, you are defending the metal but there's a reason you don't listen to it like you used to?
Yeah, it's been 20 years. I dated a classical musician throughout college and got very interested in classical music and opera by going to her concerts and listening to what she liked. Since then I've been exposed to and become interested in a lot of classic rock, indie music, and world music. And I still listen to metal but only when I'm lifting weights.

Quote:
Is that because you are older, more mature and have a family and responsibilities?
No -- my tastes changed. I'm overall less interested in pop culture than I used to be. I watched "Solid Gold" and listened to the Top 40 when I was a kid. I've never once turned on American Idol, but I'd have loved it when I was 12. I read Stephen King in high school, but I haven't read a single novel of his since.

Quote:
If you had fed your mind with metal and rap all these years do you think for a moment it would have changed who you are today?
Not in the slightest. What I listen to does not make me who I am.

Pangloss;40400 wrote:
Music certainly is subjective. A definition I like is, simply, "sound that is pleasing to the ear" is music...you might even go further and say it is "beautiful sound"
So if you like the sound of a falling rock, it's music? Such a definition essentially nullifies the point of having the word music to begin with.

Music, first and foremost, is human. Secondly, it is deliberate. Thirdly, it is auditory. Fourthly, it is abstract -- its ability to convey ideas is not an essential part of its definition.

Human music resembles almost nothing in nature. Tonal music and rhythms are wholly unnatural sounds, and it was only with musical impressionism in the last ~150 years that the effort to imitate nature arose.

Quote:
You can try to argue and convince us otherwise; so far, you have not provided any evidence to convince me that I have misunderstood the general concepts and themes used in rap and metal to be mostly negative.
You have not provided evidence that you mean anything specific with the word "negative". And by the way, 1980s pop music a la Paula Abdul and Tiffany and the Petshop Boys and Culture Club may have been "positive" by your definition, but that doesn't exempt it from being crap either. So unless you're willing to give a blanket acceptance of all "positive" music as good, then you have no business giving a blanket charge of all "negative" music as bad.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 03:56 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

Not in the slightest. What I listen to does not make me who I am.

I've agreed with nearly everything you've said in this thread, but this line struck me as odd.

It seems to me that the art we expose ourselves to influences who we are. Music alone will not define you totally, but do your artistic tastes really have no influence on you?

Dostoevsky and Camus have not made you who you are, but haven't they had some influence on who you are? If these authors, these artists, have influenced you as a person, why not the music you listen to?
Pangloss

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 04:10 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;40528 wrote:

So if you like the sound of a falling rock, it's music? Such a definition essentially nullifies the point of having the word music to begin with.

Music, first and foremost, is human. Secondly, it is deliberate. Thirdly, it is auditory. Fourthly, it is abstract -- its ability to convey ideas is not an essential part of its definition.

Sure, many people might tell you that the sound of nature is music, to their ears. They might say that it does not have to be human, deliberate, or abstract. That it is auditory, is the only thing you mention which everybody would agree on. I have taken music courses, known musicians, read a good amount on the subject, listened to a lot of music. I have never found any concrete definition of "music", or "art" for that matter. OK, you could say that music is auditory artistic expression...that does not necessarily imply that it is human, deliberate, or abstract (unless you say all art is abstract, which perhaps it is, though this definition is just as loose as the one I gave earlier of music being pleasing sound).

Quote:
Human music resembles almost nothing in nature. Tonal music and rhythms are wholly unnatural sounds, and it was only with musical impressionism in the last ~150 years that the effort to imitate nature arose.

You earlier mentioned that simply beating a rhythm on a drum is music...are rhythms not found in nature? Listen to chirping crickets, cicadas calling; are these not rhythms? How about the melodies of bird calls? Is it not possible to detect harmony and music in nature? Sure, if you simply define music as only being created by humans. But this definition would not be a common one, in my experience.

Quote:
You have not provided evidence that you mean anything specific with the word "negative". And by the way, 1980s pop music a la Paula Abdul and Tiffany and the Petshop Boys and Culture Club may have been "positive" by your definition, but that doesn't exempt it from being crap either. So unless you're willing to give a blanket acceptance of all "positive" music as good, then you have no business giving a blanket charge of all "negative" music as bad.

I've not given blanket charges of anything...so far, I've said most of the music I've heard in these genres is crap. It is not pleasing to my ear, so it is noise. Simple as that.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 04:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;40531 wrote:
Music alone will not define you totally, but do your artistic tastes really have no influence on you?
Very little except insofar as they influence the music I choose to make with the instruments I play. My main art form is photography, which is influenced by other photographers and some painters. But again, it's vision and style and technical matters, not ideas that influence me here -- and thus it doesn't change me.

Quote:
Dostoevsky and Camus have not made you who you are, but haven't they had some influence on who you are? If these authors, these artists, have influenced you as a person, why not the music you listen to?
Because Dostoyevsky and Camus communicate ideas that I actually take seriously. Even ingenious songwriters like Bob Dylan (my favorite of all musicians) don't influence my ideas. His manner of expressing himself has influenced my writing style at times, but that is an aesthetic and technical influence -- I don't care much about his ideas.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 04:53 pm
@Aedes,
I think I see what you're getting at, Aedes, but there is still some ambiguity in my mind.

If Dylan's writing style influences your own style, doesn't that mean that some idea of his influences you as a person, in that that idea influences the way you communicate your own ideas? His idea being the manner in which he expresses himself.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
@Joe,
Content and technique are very different things. I could set "Happy Birthday" to the music of "Spill the Blood" by Slayer, for instance. Ulysses is an 800 page single novel about one day in the life of one person, but it's written using innumerable different technical styles -- which is one of the things it's most famous for.
0 Replies