Metallica - All Nightmare Long

Pangloss

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 04:19 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;39332 wrote:

And tell me that there isn't anger and rage -- perhaps even excessively -- in that verse.

Not at all. I just want you to realize that anger, rage, and even violence are hardly unique to metal and rap. And that even if you think metal is vapid, its main utility is as a political type of expression.

I never meant to suggest that anger or rage is only in metal or rap. Just that those two genres seem to be more fueled by this than others. Bob Dylan, and many other artists can express their anger and rage constructively-- we get a real picture of what's going on, some poetic descriptions of the emotions involved, lyrics that we can hear when he sings them. And of course he isn't limited by this theme (like many rap and metal groups), he lets it all out. As for "political expression", it might serve these groups to actually "sing" with some clarity if they are trying to make a political point. Otherwise, it is just noise.

Quote:
But there is crap in every era.

Of course. And in my experience, most of our current era's crap falls within the categories of "pop", "rap"/"hip hop", and "metal". Of course this is the "pop culture" subforum, so it is not my goal here to try to objectively prove that any kind of music is better than another; it's all just what suits our own tastes. I have spent a lot of time listening to different kinds of music though, and I stand by my assessment.

Quote:
It's just hard to generalize. If I took an uninitiated person and played him "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues" and "Desolation Row", he'd think that Dylan was nothing but hallucinogenic nonsense. You and I both know that those are two of his greatest songs, and it takes some concentration to really understand them, but this is because he challenges us.

Yea, and at least I don't have to lookup the lyrics online just to find out what words I actually was listening to when the song played. With some of Dylan's songs, you could interpret each of them a thousand different ways and still never know for sure what he intended to describe when he wrote it. But the emotion is there in the picture that he paints with his words, and this is the sign of a poet.

On this note, my standards for musicianship are pretty high. I wouldn't say Bob is a great musician; somebody like Miles Davis would come to mind in that category. For the true masters, who I believe are in their own category as composers you go back to the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, or somebody like Rachmaninov, more recently. That is serious, contemplative, artistic expression...not like some hit rock songs that get composed on a napkin at the bar in a drunken haze. Bob Dylan's real mastery lies in his lyrics, and for this reason I would say he's a great poet, who might be one of the best in the last century. You also quoted lyrics from the Grateful Dead, but of course their songs were almost all written by the poet Robert Hunter, and then worked into the music by Jerry Garcia. Hunter was a great poet; Garcia was a pretty good musician and guitarist, but was singing someone else's lyrics.

Quote:
By the same token, you cannot know how deep heavy metal and rap CAN be if the sound is what dissuades you from delving deeper. That's fine, but be honest with yourself -- it's the sound that's making you generalize about the content.

The sound doesn't dissuade me-- sometimes I AM in the mood to hear the sound of rap, or hard rock, and I turn on some GOOD musicians from these genres. We used to blast the violent, popular gangster-rap stuff, or heavy metal, in the hockey locker room before games, and I would listen to it while working out on the heavy bag. Because this "energetic noise" essentially serves one good purpose: getting you amped and angry (helpful in sports or working out, but doesn't qualify as an art form in my view).

I know how deep this music CAN be, as I am not saying that ALL of it is as I describe. Just MOST of it. For most of the popular rap out there, it only takes one album filled with insights like 'I smoke weed by the pound, drink vodka by the fifth', 'pulled out my nine, bust a cap in his dome', '99 problems but a b---h ain't one' to basically give me the gist of their message. You can only listen to so many songs about drug dealing, killing, sex, cars, clothes, etc.
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 04:51 pm
@Aedes,
I am going to exit here from this discourse with the following remarks. Joe and Aedes, I absolutely respect the zeal in which you defend your stance and you have every right to do so. We are all intelligent enough to understand why this bilge is out there. To understand that is one thing, to promote it is another matter entirely. This "sub-culture" exists and unless we endeavor to remedy that which created it, I am afraid we are only seeing the tip of the ice berg as to where this "darkness" will lead. As for me, thankfully, I am beyond falling prey to those "black holes" that I feel this "sub-culture" is as it takes gross advantage of a very, very negative situation. There are a lot of young out there who are not "hip" to this "sound" and enjoy all other genre's such as country western, pop, jazz, R & B who live in the very same world those who like to "head bang" do. Enjoy your head banging all you want to, but please don't promote it. Avail yourself of it all you want to with your friends who aspire to the same drug induced bilge. Have a ball. Just please, leave it at that and do go out of your way "enlighten" others.

As pangloss said there is real music out there that is inspired by current affairs that is protesting those affairs. Such as the one I posted. This crap goes way beyond that, and if you cannot see that, blows me away. Enjoy your sounds. :brickwall:
William
Aedes

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:32 pm
@William,
William;39340 wrote:
I am going to exit here from this discourse with the following remarks. Joe and Aedes... Enjoy your head banging all you want to, but please don't promote it. Avail yourself of it all you want to with your friends who aspire to the same drug induced bilge
William, I hope you will take the opportunity to reconsider these words, especially considering that I (for one) have NOT "promoted" anything -- I've just sought to suppress ignorant stereotyping. And number 2, this "your friends who aspire to the same drug induced bilge" is inflammatory, unnecessary, and hypocritical for one who sees himself as above bilge. :nonooo:
William

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 07:54 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
William, I hope you will take the opportunity to reconsider these words, especially considering that I (for one) have NOT "promoted" anything -- I've just sought to suppress ignorant stereotyping. And number 2, this "your friends who aspire to the same drug induced bilge" is inflammatory, unnecessary, and hypocritical for one who sees himself as above bilge. :nonooo:

Aedes, I hope you enjoyed your holidays. I have not responded to your last post for I have full intentions of leaving where I have left it. I got to thinking about the comment you made as to my "ignorant stereotyping" and the notion that you could very well be right in that I have not been exposed to the "metal" sound. So I began to do a little research on my own to see just how "out in left field" I could be and came across this sight. http://www.darklyrics.com/

So for those out there who have not been exposed to this "dark side" of music, I will let you judge for yourself. On one aspect I will to some degree concede with "metallica's" lesser negative lyric's, but that does not wipe the slate as they help "pioneer" this stuff that spawned "their metal friends. After viewing this sight for as long as I could stomach it as I randomly selected about 50 different selections from various "sound" makers and view the lyrics to there "sounds" I had had enough. I didn't play any of them, didn't care to. So in all due respect, I must disagree with your assessment of me being an "ignorant stereotypist" in that I, IMO, nailed it rather accurately as "bilge". Sorry Aedes, I truly wish we were not on opposite sides of this issure.
Sincerely,
William
Aedes

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 09:06 pm
@William,
This is a philosophy forum, and handwaving judgementalism is sort of antithetical to what this site is about, whatever the issue and whatever your side of it. I'd hope that you're openminded enough to engage in discourse and not flinging labels like "bilge" at something that a user here chose to discuss. If you don't like it, then you're free to stay out of the discussion if you can't contribute in a way that furthers it.
William

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
This is a philosophy forum, and handwaving judgementalism is sort of antithetical to what this site is about, whatever the issue and whatever your side of it. I'd hope that you're openminded enough to engage in discourse and not flinging labels like "bilge" at something that a user here chose to discuss. If you don't like it, then you're free to stay out of the discussion if you can't contribute in a way that furthers it.

Okay, Aedes, let's further the discussion just a bit if you don't mind and that is just to say if the opportunity ever arise's that will allow me the opportunity to thwart a young, naive innocent from ever entering into this realm of "entertainment", I will personally give it everything in my power to insure that kid goes in another direction. So help me God. :a-ok:
Hear endeth the discussion.
William
Joe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:57 pm
@William,
William wrote:
Okay, Aedes, let's further the discussion just a bit if you don't mind and that is just to say if the opportunity ever arise's that will allow me the opportunity to thwart a young, naive innocent from ever entering into this realm of "entertainment", I will personally give it everything in my power to insure that kid goes in another direction. So help me God. :a-ok:
Hear endeth the discussion.
William

lol. So heres the thing William. What Aedes and others are trying to reveal is that your arguments so far against the use of Metal music and entertainment have been based on a negative vs positive. You are leaning to wards negative. But I think what your not understanding is that we are only leaning positive to find the neutral ground that produces honest interpretation.

So, Good vs bad, Productive vs unproductive. We cannot weigh these things. How could we possibly account for the joy and sorrow of the entire population that listens to metal. So many experiences, emotions, not to mention there spider web effect. it goes on and on and on.......

Where should we debate if there is no final right or wrong?

Thats thing about music that rejects steady philosophy as do other artistic expressions.

Metal is what it is.

I admit that it is Destructive to wards Human activity.

Can you admit it is Productive to wards Human activity?

If so I think we'll be just fine.:cool:
William

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 08:35 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:

:cool:

No. Not in any way whatsoever. Sorry. I wish there were some way I could meet you just a fraction of the way on this one, but I can't. But I do appreciate your civil discourse as you defend yourself. I would like to thank you for that, even though I did vent my feeling in the use of the words I have chosen to describe this genre. I am glad you did not take it personal for it was indeed a personal thing on my part more or less to emphasize the intensity of my stance. Later, my friend,Smile
Sincerely,
William
Joe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 08:47 pm
@William,
William wrote:
No. Not in any way whatsoever. Sorry. I wish there were some way I could meet you just a fraction of the way on this one, but I can't. But I do appreciate your civil discourse as you defend yourself. I would like to thank you for that, even though I did vent my feeling in the use of the words I have chosen to describe this genre. I am glad you did not take it personal for it was indeed a personal thing on my part more or less to emphasize the intensity of my stance. Later, my friend,Smile
Sincerely,
William

well I dont like saying but it should be pointed out for your benefit.

This is where your opinions hold no relevant value to others. I'm afraid to ask if this is how you conduct yourself in discussion. I hope you'll address these issues with yourself. Until then, try not to convince yourself about things. That is the greatest threat to truth.

Thanks
William

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 09:10 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
This is where your opinions hold no relevant value to others.

You speak for a lot my friend. "Other's?". I am assuming everyone in the world but myself. Wow! I sure hope not. :perplexed:

William
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@William,
William;40238 wrote:
Okay, Aedes, let's further the discussion just a bit if you don't mind and that is just to say if the opportunity ever arise's that will allow me the opportunity to thwart a young, naive innocent from ever entering into this realm of "entertainment", I will personally give it everything in my power to insure that kid goes in another direction.
Keep it to private messages, then. Leave it out of the public posts unless someone is publicly soliciting your help.

Joe;40243 wrote:
Metal is what it is.

I admit that it is Destructive towards Human activity.

The worst of metal lyrics are pretty bad, but that is hardly universal. And "destructive towards humanity"? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but that's taking it a bit far.

The BIGGEST metal bands do not have especially objectionable lyrics or themes -- not just Metallica, but also Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Anthrax, Testament -- none of these are particularly violent, demonic, satanic, whatever. The only huge metal band that is gory and violent is Slayer, but they've always been cultish.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 10:46 am
@Joe,
I've skimmed through much of this and to me, music is harmony. Metal and rap are not harmony. Music is a vibrational harmony of energized waves which produces more harmony. Metal and rap do not do this, therefore I don't consider either music to my ears. Lyrics are only the words spoken from a mouth of someone like you and I... just another human being that knows not which they create. Lyrics in my opinion mean very little because it's the vibration of the music that creates the harmony or dysfunction, not the lyrics.

Everyone has their opinion and mine would be to place all of the metal and all of the rap into file 13 because it does not create harmony and balance. But, that's only my opinion.
Aedes

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 11:09 am
@Justin,
Justin;40375 wrote:
I've skimmed through much of this and to me, music is harmony.
Then you'd be well served to listen to solo instrumental music from flutes, recorders, and clarinets, which by definition cannot have harmony because only one note can be played at a time. You'd also be well served to listen to the percussion music from West Africa, which has only rhythms.

Music isn't only subjective. It can have a common definition by which what is noise to you and bilge to William can still be acknowledged as music whether or not it pleases your refined sensibilities.

A lot of modern classical music, esp from the likes of Schoenberg, is critically and academically regarded as some of the most brilliant and revolutionary music ever composed. The thing is, it doesn't move people as much as something banal like a Chopin nocturne -- but so what?

I mean are you honestly trying to engage the question of what music IS? Are you trying to convince people who like rap that they are wrong for liking it? Are you trying to critically analyze what about heavy metal makes it not music?

None of the above -- and I'm not even much of a metal or rap fan -- at least I haven't been in a good 20 years; and yet I find myself coming to their defense in this thread against what I see as simply antagonism to the whole point of a philosophy forum. Being analytical and discursive is what we're aiming for, and I don't see much of that going on here.
Justin

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 11:49 am
@Joe,
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything to be honest with you. I am stating that I don't like rap and I don't like metal and explaining the reasons why. My favorite music of all time is absolute silence.

If we were to analyze a little into this, I'd start off by analyzing what I know about metal music. What I know about it is that my wife's ex-husband was in a hard metal band and today he is still in a band somewhere and hasn't seen his son in many years and I believe still lives with his mother... he's over 40. Where I grew up in Michigan, I clearly remember the guys who listened to metal. These were the guys who usually wore black, usually had tattoos, usually got into trouble, and usually were smokers not to mention the lack or responsibility when it came to school. I'm not stereotyping here but since we are analyzing this, isn't it best to describe the picture in our mind for analyzing?

On the television, much of the crowd listening to heavy metal was a reflection of those I remember in school. Once again, lots of black leather clothing, lots of smoke, long hair, etc etc. Go to a concert and you see much of the same. Go to an opera and you don't see the same folks or the same anything. There's a difference here.

Onto rap. Without stereotyping, who listens to rap? Well, from what I've seen, much of the same people that were into the metal. When I hear it in a gas station or blaring out of a car while driving by, usually, not always, but usually it's some punk who has absolutely no respect for anything or anyone. When I think of Rap and the messages sent through that type of music it makes my skin crawl. When walking down a street and the rap is banging in a neighborhood, this is usually a place you'd want to avoid or be fearful of walking through. Today, many of our children listen to rap... how do they differ from children that grew up not having rap? This doesn't mean people cannot listen to it, just don't make me listen to it.

Music feeds the mind no matter how you choose to slice and dice. We make choices on the music we listen to and what we feed our minds. If anyone were to sit here and say that it makes no difference, they'd be lying. The vibrational tones of music makes a big difference.

So Aedes, you are defending the metal but there's a reason you don't listen to it like you used to? Is that because you are older, more mature and have a family and responsibilities? If you had fed your mind with metal and rap all these years do you think for a moment it would have changed who you are today?

Good questions, good thread. Once again I'll boldly say that I do not like rap and I do not like metal for many reasons but the main reason is because it is not harmonious, it is noise to me. Keep in mind that I can't stand the sound of a baby crying either and don't necessarily like children... That's just me and I know that my ears are much more sensitive than many. OH, and I don't like country either. Smile

Silence is my favorite music and nature is my favorite musician.
Pangloss

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 01:25 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;40378 wrote:
Music isn't only subjective. It can have a common definition by which what is noise to you and bilge to William can still be acknowledged as music whether or not it pleases your refined sensibilities.

Music certainly is subjective. You can look up "music" in different dictionaries, or go around asking people what "music" is, and you will always get different answers. A definition I like is, simply, "sound that is pleasing to the ear" is music...you might even go further and say it is "beautiful sound". Within those basic definitions, there is of course subjectivity because "beauty is in the eye/ear of the beholder", and sound that might be pleasing to your ear might be bilge/noise to William, Justin and myself.

While this is a philosophy forum, and on most topics I think we strive to approach things without bias and form an objective conclusion, with the arts, we must realize that this is not possible. Hence, this discussion does fall under the "other forums > Pop Culture" subcategories. When it comes to something as subjective as art and music, we all have the right to say that we don't like this for specific reasons, or we love this for other specific reasons. You can try to argue and convince us otherwise; so far, you have not provided any evidence to convince me that I have misunderstood the general concepts and themes used in rap and metal to be mostly negative. If the popular rap music message of glorifying killing, drug dealing, and the amassing of great material wealth is "sound pleasing to your ear", then fine. It is not music to myself or many others, and I would hope that people do not take these messages seriously when forming a general outlook on living life. Unfortunately, I think many people do, and rap music can and does have a corrupting influence on its listeners.

So the OP has presented this music to us, originally relating it to "philosophy". Certainly there is some type of philosophy that goes into the creation of anything, be it art or something else, but we can't always be certain as to what it is. We do not engage in philosophical dialogue when we discuss the relative merits of different types of "art"; it is all subjective.
0 Replies

Joe

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 08:45 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything to be honest with you. I am stating that I don't like rap and I don't like metal and explaining the reasons why. My favorite music of all time is absolute silence.

If we were to analyze a little into this, I'd start off by analyzing what I know about metal music. What I know about it is that my wife's ex-husband was in a hard metal band and today he is still in a band somewhere and hasn't seen his son in many years and I believe still lives with his mother... he's over 40. Where I grew up in Michigan, I clearly remember the guys who listened to metal. These were the guys who usually wore black, usually had tattoos, usually got into trouble, and usually were smokers not to mention the lack or responsibility when it came to school. I'm not stereotyping here but since we are analyzing this, isn't it best to describe the picture in our mind for analyzing?

On the television, much of the crowd listening to heavy metal was a reflection of those I remember in school. Once again, lots of black leather clothing, lots of smoke, long hair, etc etc. Go to a concert and you see much of the same. Go to an opera and you don't see the same folks or the same anything. There's a difference here.

Onto rap. Without stereotyping, who listens to rap? Well, from what I've seen, much of the same people that were into the metal. When I hear it in a gas station or blaring out of a car while driving by, usually, not always, but usually it's some punk who has absolutely no respect for anything or anyone. When I think of Rap and the messages sent through that type of music it makes my skin crawl. When walking down a street and the rap is banging in a neighborhood, this is usually a place you'd want to avoid or be fearful of walking through. Today, many of our children listen to rap... how do they differ from children that grew up not having rap? This doesn't mean people cannot listen to it, just don't make me listen to it.

Music feeds the mind no matter how you choose to slice and dice. We make choices on the music we listen to and what we feed our minds. If anyone were to sit here and say that it makes no difference, they'd be lying. The vibrational tones of music makes a big difference.

So Aedes, you are defending the metal but there's a reason you don't listen to it like you used to? Is that because you are older, more mature and have a family and responsibilities? If you had fed your mind with metal and rap all these years do you think for a moment it would have changed who you are today?

Good questions, good thread. Once again I'll boldly say that I do not like rap and I do not like metal for many reasons but the main reason is because it is not harmonious, it is noise to me. Keep in mind that I can't stand the sound of a baby crying either and don't necessarily like children... That's just me and I know that my ears are much more sensitive than many. OH, and I don't like country either. Smile

Silence is my favorite music and nature is my favorite musician.

Very good points. My question is what are you saying about the music when you describe your perceptions of its listeners. I cant answer that so i wont assume anything. My take is that Metal and Rap express, more so boldly then most other genres, the extreme anguish of poverty, low morality and its effects, in such a bold and often "in your face style". What I think is important here is understanding the messages of the artist. Which is difficult if your not into the music. But The songs that are bold and sarcastic and resentful merely are a artistic expression of that artist's emotions. its a release. I willing to guess that most of them realize this and use their music to address these emotions, so they can live a little closer to peace. You'll also find that Metal is a type of music that can represent all spectrum's of human emotion. In my opinion its just easier to hear anger and displeasure. Alot of people can recognize these traits easier then others. Thats a whole different topic.

So back to the destructive nature, Which i think is what you and William have issues with, I will put the blame where it lives. The individual. As I said earlier, you'll find Rap and Metal to exist more in middle and lower class communities then you would in wealthy communities. This is not 100% but for the most part.

My only defense isn't that good, but, Metal has the ability to point out alot of wrongs in our society just as much as any other type of music. To judge the movement and actions of its listeners, does not mean the music that the artists creates, is actually destructive. Judas Priest had there lyrics brought to Court!

2 Families Sue Heavy-Metal Band As Having Driven Sons to Suicide - New York Times

and thats where Aedes and I are woeful about your stance. it seems to lead to these types of oppositions. Probably wrong but never the less, it is my perception.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time trying to express these points in a very neutral manner. Hope you can get the gist of it.
Justin

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:24 am
@Joe,
Excellent post Joe.

Joe wrote:
Very good points. My question is what are you saying about the music when you describe your perceptions of its listeners. I cant answer that so i wont assume anything. My take is that Metal and Rap express, more so boldly then most other genres, the extreme anguish of poverty, low morality and its effects, in such a bold and often "in your face style". What I think is important here is understanding the messages of the artist. Which is difficult if your not into the music. But The songs that are bold and sarcastic and resentful merely are a artistic expression of that artist's emotions. its a release. I willing to guess that most of them realize this and use their music to address these emotions, so they can live a little closer to peace. You'll also find that Metal is a type of music that can represent all spectrum's of human emotion. In my opinion its just easier to hear anger and displeasure. Alot of people can recognize these traits easier then others. Thats a whole different topic.

I think this is where we differ in opinions. "What I think is important here is understanding the messages of the artist". I don't need to understand the message of the artist. In order to understand the anguish, anger, displeasure, poverty and low morality I'd have to listen to their music and feeding my mind with the 'In your face' problems or emotions of the artist is not what I'd want to feed my own mind. This is where the listeners become not only involved but engaged. Let the artist do what they will, I have the ability to make a conscious choice as to what I am willing to listen to and what I'm willing to feed my mind. Just because somebody expresses something, especially towards the negative energy side of things, doesn't mean that I need to understand it and make it a part of my world. When it comes right down to it, there are few artists who actually understand themselves let alone my trying to understand them.

Joe wrote:
So back to the destructive nature, Which i think is what you and William have issues with, I will put the blame where it lives. The individual. As I said earlier, you'll find Rap and Metal to exist more in middle and lower class communities then you would in wealthy communities. This is not 100% but for the most part.

Why would I want to have to listen to something with a destructive nature? Why would anyone want to feed their minds with something of such a destructive nature? Why would I want to make the artists problems my own by soaking up their expressed emotions within their music when it's all to well known that emotions are not something we want to have control over us.

The food we feed our mind is ultimately much more important then that which we feed our bodies.

Joe wrote:
My only defense isn't that good, but, Metal has the ability to point out alot of wrongs in our society just as much as any other type of music. To judge the movement and actions of its listeners, does not mean the music that the artists creates, is actually destructive. Judas Priest had there lyrics brought to Court!

Pointing out the wrongs in our society is not something we should be surrounding ourselves with. Lets all point out the wrongs and do nothing about them. That just doesn't ring music to my ears... but that's just me.

Many of these musicians sing about their childhood or where they were raised or the lifestyle they've lived and those that listen to this actually share in their experience. So the young man who never knew of the wrongs the musician points out, all of the sudden becomes aware of just how awful the world is or his parents are or his hood is and then wants to be like a rapper and put a cap in someones ass or be a gangsta.

My now, 20 year old son who was raised in a small town in Michigan went through a stage where the music you speak of is what he listened to. He, like many other young men started to dress and act out the crap in this music to the point where it was embarrassing to take him with us. He wrecked cars because of how the seat was so far back, couldn't hold down a job, attracted friends that were doing drugs I'd never even heard of, and living a life of a gangster style that he never knew other than through the music. It drove me up a wall and then I had to listen to it because he wanted to play it loud in the house... until of course I became destructive listening to it. :sarcastic:

As he's aged, his pants are now starting to be worn like a man and he's removed the price tags off his hats and he's begun to see the destructiveness within the music he listened to. The music isn't all to blame but when you feed your mind with crap constantly, crap is what is produced and all one has to do is turn on the news or the television to see it. Music plays a big roll in all of this and to deny that music doesn't feed the soul would be... naive.

Joe wrote:
and thats where Aedes and I are woeful about your stance. it seems to lead to these types of oppositions. Probably wrong but never the less, it is my perception.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time trying to express these points in a very neutral manner. Hope you can get the gist of it.

No need to be woeful. It's simply stuff that I wouldn't feed my mind and likewise something I would not expect to find on a philosophy forum filled with adults that want to discuss philosophy.

Again, I have been invited to watch ball games at friends house and they have a video jukebox and play this crap. 40 year + old men playing Kid Rock or some other crap... It's simply not the kind of thing I'd want to feed my mind or my families mind.

For Christmas, my 9 year old daughter was given a sandisk MP3 player by her grandmother and one of younger mothers that were related to my wife's mother let me know that they loaded a bunch of music on there that 9 year olds listen to... LOL. Are you kidding?... Just because other 9 year olds listen to the crap doesn't mean mine is.

Anyway, good post Joe and good thread.
Joe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@Justin,
Quote:
I think this is where we differ in opinions. "What I think is important here is understanding the messages of the artist". I don't need to understand the message of the artist. In order to understand the anguish, anger, displeasure, poverty and low morality I'd have to listen to their music and feeding my mind with the 'In your face' problems or emotions of the artist is not what I'd want to feed my own mind. This is where the listeners become not only involved but engaged. Let the artist do what they will, I have the ability to make a conscious choice as to what I am willing to listen to and what I'm willing to feed my mind. Just because somebody expresses something, especially towards the negative energy side of things, doesn't mean that I need to understand it and make it a part of my world. When it comes right down to it, there are few artists who actually understand themselves let alone my trying to understand them.
Hey Justin
Yeah your absolutely right. I would never insist that you must listen to the music. That would go against my ideas of knowledge. You cant force knowledge or else it becomes worthless. So I guess what I'm saying is that I do think the more you understand of people, in this case musical representation, you get a better look at the Big Picture. Whatever that is. As for receiving information that you think will bring out negative consequences, i can only say that balancing of both positive and negative forces is where you truly find the clearest pictures. Its a hard task, but one that overall comes naturally when you practice it. The more you learn to reason for the negative, the more you reason for the positive. Eventually you start to look at what really causes these separations.

Quote:

Why would I want to have to listen to something with a destructive nature? Why would anyone want to feed their minds with something of such a destructive nature? Why would I want to make the artists problems my own by soaking up their expressed emotions within their music when it's all to well known that emotions are not something we want to have control over us.

The food we feed our mind is ultimately much more important then that which we feed our bodies.
Why else? To Learn. It doesn't mean to accept. It doesn't mean to make. although if your "solid" in your beliefs, it is a good idea to transform every ones in a while. But again, its all in knowledge. Of course people people have different ways of doing this. But what I'm trying to point out is, we need to start expanding the concept. EVERYTHING has knowledge within it. To me it seems that your trying to degrade the knowledge that Metal or maybe even destructive music has within it. That just seems wrong.

Quote:
Pointing out the wrongs in our society is not something we should be surrounding ourselves with. Lets all point out the wrongs and do nothing about them. That just doesn't ring music to my ears... but that's just me.
Really? I'm guessing you went ahead of yourself on that one. Who said not doing something about the wrongs? Music is just a venue to express an individuals problems with his/herself and with society. That in it self is doing something about it. By addressing the issue. When you said Pointing out the wrongs in our society is not something we should be surrounding ourselves with, I think it is something we should address constantly, more then people like, but if you mean living because of these wrongs I agree. But it sounds like the classic, "I'll keep it down, so it doesn't effect everyone". I dont think its right to try and protect "society" or "morals". Whats positive is just that and the same for the opposite. Letting people address these things with more responsibility is where we as a society will learn. Of course horrible things can and will happen, but to fear there outcome and impact is old world thinking.

Quote:
Many of these musicians sing about their childhood or where they were raised or the lifestyle they've lived and those that listen to this actually share in their experience. So the young man who never knew of the wrongs the musician points out, all of the sudden becomes aware of just how awful the world is or his parents are or his hood is

Great! why wouldn't you want people to know whats going on?

Quote:
and then wants to be like a rapper and put a cap in someones ass or be a gangsta.[/[/quote]your making assumptions. What about the kid who wants to change things? Again it is very dangerous to live by fear. Your decisions will be contaminated when you focus negatively on things. its about looking at the negative, but not reacting negative. "two wrongs dont make a right". People deserve to learn this. Again sometimes it will be tragically and others beautifully.

Quote:
My now, 20 year old son who was raised in a small town in Michigan went through a stage where the music you speak of is what he listened to. He, like many other young men started to dress and act out the crap in this music to the point where it was embarrassing to take him with us. He wrecked cars because of how the seat was so far back, couldn't hold down a job, attracted friends that were doing drugs I'd never even heard of, and living a life of a gangster style that he never knew other than through the music. It drove me up a wall and then I had to listen to it because he wanted to play it loud in the house... until of course I became destructive listening to it. :sarcastic:
lol. I have friends just like that. thats life. They are really interesting people. Meaning their lifestyle. i learn alot. Both positive and negative.

Quote:
As he's aged, his pants are now starting to be worn like a man and he's removed the price tags off his hats and he's begun to see the destructiveness within the music he listened to. The music isn't all to blame but when you feed your mind with crap constantly, crap is what is produced and all one has to do is turn on the news or the television to see it. Music plays a big roll in all of this and to deny that music doesn't feed the soul would be... naive.
He's Saved!:sarcastic:
Music does feed the Soul. Again I can only present balance.

Thanks,

Joe
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 12:18 pm
@Joe,
Joe, I'm not focused negatively on anything I just don't like that kind of music and have made a choice not to feed my own mind with it. Negative and/or destructive input leads to negative or destructive output, there is no balancing effect in it.

Take a look around at our world. What are the youth listening too? Who are they idolizing? What role does music play in all of this?

I'm going to let this thread rest because I cannot answer some of your questions above without delving into all other areas of philosophy and I'm not sure it can even be understood. But, to simplify things... Garbage in, garbage out. Our perception changes everything and if music changes our perception of our world... that's not education that's pollution.
Pangloss

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 01:25 pm
@Justin,
Justin;40486 wrote:

Take a look around at our world. What are the youth listening too? Who are they idolizing? What role does music play in all of this?

I'm going to let this thread rest because I cannot answer some of your questions above without delving into all other areas of philosophy and I'm not sure it can even be understood. But, to simplify things... Garbage in, garbage out. Our perception changes everything and if music changes our perception of our world... that's not education that's pollution.

I am reminded of Plato's Republic, where Socrates is concerned with the education of the philosopher:

Republic, Book 3 wrote:

"We could protect our guardians from growing up in the presence of evil, in a veritable pasture of poisonous herbs where by grazing at will, little by little and day by day, they should unwittingly accumulate a huge mass of corruption in their souls.

We should seek out artists and craftsmen whose natural gifts enable them to discern true beauty and grace. Then we shall have a salubrious climate in which our young may dwell and benefit from all their surroundings, where works of beauty are conveyed to eye and ear like breezes bringing health from wholesome places. In this way, from early childhood on, they would easily live in harmony and friendship with beauty and reason, coming finally to resemble them."

To Plato, "the purpose of poetry and music is to cultivate the love of beauty". Certainly this is a better goal than cultivating the love of death, destruction, debauchery, and cruelty with much of today's "pop" music.