Groups and Clans

Joe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:02 pm
We choose are friends and acquaintances, In the long run I think.

What are the arguments for establishing "roles" and "titles"?

Is it better to Separate ourselves, generally, within these groups?

Is this identifying with certain people natural? is it good for the sake of progress?

what do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 6
No top replies

nameless

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:04 pm
@Joe,
Long live the Borg!
0 Replies

validity

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:27 pm
@Joe,
It depends on the purpose and goal of the group. If the group needs a chain of command or authorative decision making of course you need titles to establish the hierarchy.

Assimilation complete.
0 Replies

Aphoric

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:49 pm
@Joe,
interesting question. The reason people form groups is totally an occurrence of nature. Have you ever heard of "herd mentality"? It's a trait often seen in nature in which animals of the same species will be taking part in independent activities, such as grazing, playing, grooming, etc. but as soon as they feel threatened, they'll group together. I'm sure you've at least heard the phrase "there's safety in numbers." It's a primordial instinct that when human's feel insecure, they'll seek out those with similar character traits or personalities, or even outward appearances and form a social relationship. It's really interesting to see this take place in social environments actually. I'm still in High School, so it's fairly prevalent in my immediate surroundings.

So, yes, I think identifying with certain people is natural. Moreover, I'd say having a group of good friends is totally healthy, and lends to ones self-confidence and security in a positive way. I think I understand your question about separation within these groups, and I'd say separation in the sense of recognizing yourself as a unique individual even within these groups is absolutely necessary in the first place if one is to form healthy bonds with other individuals. Whether we should consciously try to not identify with others sounds kind of anti-social and absurd (no offense).

Finally, whether identifying with others is good for the sake of progress depends on what kind of progress you're talking about. Relying on others to progress as an individual is not good, where as working with others for the sake of progressing as humanity? I can't think of any other way to accomplish that.
Joe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:37 am
@Aphoric,
Aphoric wrote:
interesting question. The reason people form groups is totally an occurrence of nature. Have you ever heard of "herd mentality"? It's a trait often seen in nature in which animals of the same species will be taking part in independent activities, such as grazing, playing, grooming, etc. but as soon as they feel threatened, they'll group together. I'm sure you've at least heard the phrase "there's safety in numbers." It's a primordial instinct that when human's feel insecure, they'll seek out those with similar character traits or personalities, or even outward appearances and form a social relationship. It's really interesting to see this take place in social environments actually. I'm still in High School, so it's fairly prevalent in my immediate surroundings.

So, yes, I think identifying with certain people is natural. Moreover, I'd say having a group of good friends is totally healthy, and lends to ones self-confidence and security in a positive way. I think I understand your question about separation within these groups, and I'd say separation in the sense of recognizing yourself as a unique individual even within these groups is absolutely necessary in the first place if one is to form healthy bonds with other individuals. Whether we should consciously try to not identify with others sounds kind of anti-social and absurd (no offense).

Finally, whether identifying with others is good for the sake of progress depends on what kind of progress you're talking about. Relying on others to progress as an individual is not good, where as working with others for the sake of progressing as humanity? I can't think of any other way to accomplish that.

Hey Aphoric

When I first learned about heard mentality, it progressed into questioning the motives of these actions. First are the basic biological connections that a species has built within them. Bee's are a common example. Then there is the environmental reaction from a species. A common adaptation is conducted. I would imagine the strongest and smartest of the species dictate this structure. Actions controlling how to feed and protect one another. Finally there is the social structures the group follows or participates in. This is where i am interested in individuals actions.

It is natural to assume that we must gather and connect to those who are "like" ourselves, in a way, to have a healthy life. This is where I have to question that concept. I myself could not function normally, within society, without friends or family. But why? What controls our emotions?

A monk sits alone for many years, yet is at peace with himself and those around him.

A person in society has plenty of friends and family to support his being.

Which one is lonelier or less connected.

I'd have to start with what makes people connected and close to each other. The elements in society that are in our lives are a product of ourselves. We choose to follow these structures and patterns. Stemming from basic human principles of survival and reproduction. Then the complex mind of a human builds from there.

So since we are standing on these structures, so to speak, that we each have individually built, how can we ultimately connect with one another without the separation and dis-association controlling our comfortability?

That in a nut shell is my essential longing for human kind. I'll post where I think is a good starting point in a little while. If you have thoughts about this, that would be awesome.

thanks
0 Replies

Rose phil

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:17 pm
@Joe,
Is it like attracts like? When you think about it even most couples look suited physically. If we see a tall guy with a short woman, or the other way around, we think it looks odd and that is because we don't see it that often. We very seldom see a skinny guy with a fat girl and vice versa. Are we unconsciously drawn to people who look like us?

I have another question. I feel quite uncomfortable in the company of 'loud' people and choose to distance myself from them. Would this be considered a selfish trait? Or, hopefully, it's a part of what we are posting about - being drawn to certain types.
Joe

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 01:41 pm
@Rose phil,
Hey Rose,

For an answer to your question about selfishness, I have to say yes. Dont take it personal. I do it, along with 99% of society. Rarely does a person find the strength to understand an individuals choice in lifestlye. Or atleast enough to surround yourself with close friends of no particular nature. Whether it is a matter of choice or it is natural, I wont presume to embark. From my interaction and self reflection, it is a hard thing to face yourself everday in the image of others. Everyday, every hour, minute, etc.... This is actually my own form of learning. I reflect on this particular subject more then any other. It is tiring. But something in the field of interaction, constantly, and with everyone, is where place my worth. It challenges me with something new before I can take a breath. The irony of it, is that It also gives me that breath of air to calm my self and see things in a different light. This is the only way I can explain the reasons for not letting yourself feel "comfortable" around certain people. Although in an imperfect world, It is your life line...........
0 Replies