Joe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:56 am
This only applies to people who believe that human actions deserve something in return by other humans.

If someone has faith in something, not just religion, does that faith deserve to be rewarded?

I realize this seems like a simple answer, but I'm more interested in peoples reasoning for their choice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 915 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:32 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
This only applies to people who believe that human actions deserve something in return by other humans.

Dang.... :ashamed:
Joe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:49 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Dang.... :ashamed:

lol, maybe i should broadened my audience. Feel free to speak anyways.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:03 am
@Joe,
Ok, thanks!

Joe wrote:
If someone has faith in something, not just religion, does that faith deserve to be rewarded?

Overall I'd say: No.

But theoretically, if you had faith in something and invested - in a positive way - in helping others benefit from whatever that faith brought; one could, in theory be "deserved" of some reward/recompense for the benefit you facilitated.

On a more generalized level: Reciprocity is the mark of a civilized mind. Whether or not this constitutes "being deserved of"-would depend.

Thanks - I feel better now Surprised
0 Replies

AdrocK48

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:37 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:

Not every human activity necesarily deserve any reaction in return. Nor would I say that any any activity deserves a reward. (and yes faith in this sense seems to be a human action).
Though faith, along with any other human action, will bring a reaction. that reaction will be either good, bad or neutral, but each action has a reaction.
though I think you are asking if faith should come with a consequence of some sorts.
there are things that will bring bad consequences. Knowingly commiting a crime will usually bring a consequence of guilt through to jail time and in some cases death penalty. These consequences are deserved, by the right of living in that community one must abide by the comunal rules. if one doesnt, they must deal with these consequences.
There are some things that will bring good consequences. An act of bravery will usually bring a consequence of satisfaction of a job well done, through to awards and accalation. Those consequences are deserved by the fact they disregarded their own safety to help another to become safe.
Though there are some things that will not accure a consequence. Smiling at a stranger, having a favourite colour, and having faith are some of those things. most of the time they will not get any consequences because there is no rule to say not to do those things, nor is there an expectation to do them. There is no overarching rule or expectation that says one must like a certain colour, or walk a certain way, or have faith in a certain thing. so therefore, there is no consequence (good or bad) that comes with it.
Joe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:37 pm
@AdrocK48,
Whats up Adrock48,

Quote:
Not every human activity necesarily deserves any reaction in return.

That in my view is also true. So I think I'll bring up the idea that we all have somewhat instinctive reactions to others actions. And Like you said..........

Quote:
that reaction will be either good, bad or neutral, but each action has a reaction.

What this has to relate to is that maybe most if not all actions are a reward, or the opposite, based on personal perception and even assumption.

I use the word reward as; something positive rather then negative.

Quote:
though I think you are asking if faith should come with a consequence of some sorts.

i guess i am. But if faith is an action, which you probably consider to be, there is no other possibility. Whether it is unintentionally, in the sense that someone does not purposefully, but yet instinctively has a reaction to something that can be analyzed by perception, because its of no importance personally.

Since i do realize this, I guess there is something deeper I'm trying to ask myself. Damn this brain.lol

Quote:
Though there are some things that will not accure a consequence. Smiling at a stranger, having a favourite colour, and having faith are some of those things. most of the time they will not get any consequences because there is no rule to say not to do those things, nor is there an expectation to do them. There is no overarching rule or expectation that says one must like a certain colour, or walk a certain way, or have faith in a certain thing. so therefore, there is no consequence (good or bad) that comes with it.

So i guess based on my thoughts above, i will have to disagree. When you say that smiling at a stranger has no consequences, i think merely we are contained to our own actions and reactions. But something as small as a smile can most definitly be rewarded with a smile back.Smile
AdrocK48

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:44 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
So i guess based on my thoughts above, i will have to disagree. When you say that smiling at a stranger has no consequences, i think merely we are contained to our own actions and reactions. But something as small as a smile can most definitly be rewarded with a smile back.Smile

my bad... lol i should have reread what i wrote. what i was meant to say was that things like smiling at strangers, liking the colour red or things like that, may not neccessarily incure a concequence. that is, not everytime that situation/fact comes up will you incure a consequence posative or negative.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:52 pm
@AdrocK48,
My response is very similar, I think, to what Khethil said. It seems to me that if one does good the very act of doing good is reward enough because you have improved the condition of humanity, which includes yourself.

Let's say I contribute five dollars to a fund to feed starving children. I do not think I deserve five dollars for food myself. Instead, my reward is that another human being lives under better conditions due, in part, to my generosity. Someone once said 'injustice somewhere is injustice everywhere' and I think this applies to all aspects of the human condition. Thus, reducing injustice somewhere is to reduce injustice everywhere.
0 Replies

Joe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:08 am
@AdrocK48,
AdrocK48 wrote:
my bad... lol i should have reread what i wrote. what i was meant to say was that things like smiling at strangers, liking the colour red or things like that, may not neccessarily incure a concequence. that is, not everytime that situation/fact comes up will you incure a consequence posative or negative.

No worries,

i would also think that these things might not always cause a consequence. But also based on the idea that not every time that situation/fact comes up will you in cure a consequence positive or negative, that again all lies in the perception of the reaction that might or might not be negative or positive.lol. what I'm trying to get at is, our initial reactions can constantly be perceived as something its not. i guess its a question of how should we let go of perception as a base for reward and non reward? Social philosophy might have been the wrong forum to post this in. i think i might be looking for something more answerable, along the lines of scientific.
0 Replies