Selfish or Altruistic

Joe

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:03 pm
I had a thought about letting people believe in something thats myth, but it seems to make them generally happy? My idea was that maybe letting people indulge in something like this is better for ourselves.

Is it selfish to try and change someone's base foundation and remove their comfort? :poke-eye: wake up!

Could it be looked at as a form of Altruism?

What do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 759 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Rose phil

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:59 pm
@Joe,
I like to share my strange and wonderful thoughts and ideas on boards like this one. And I'm sometimes given 'advice' of a logical and practical nature. To which I often reply, "Please don't take away my illusion, they might be all that is keeping me alive."

Speaking personally, one way or another, I have been to hell and back. And I don't take kindly to anyone telling me what my problem is. Or what I should be doing with my life.

I think there is something a little selfish in wanting to help others. Even if under the very best circumstance, we are simply trying to help ourselves.

Looking back to a time when I was struggling, the two people I remember the most never tried to 'fix' me. They were just there, listening.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:05 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
I had a thought about letting people believe in something thats myth, but it seems to make them generally happy? My idea was that maybe letting people indulge in something like this is better for ourselves.

This is a really good point. I think its almost never wise to never "try" and change someone's mind about a view on philosophical matters. We, here in this corner of the internet, come to share and debate such issues, but by-and-large I'd say "no".

Many people I've known have - what I consider to be - some of the most inane, inept and fantastical notions. If, aside from forums like these, you try and change they're mind you're likely to get only one of two results: 1) You'll invoke their anger towards you. -or- 2) As you say, you'll be instrument to removing something that gives them comfort. Only when asked, or only in an open place for just such things should we question someone else's ideas.
[*]

Joe wrote:
Is it selfish to try and change someone's base foundation and remove their comfort?

It depends on the circumstances and your specific motivation for that occasion; but in a general sense I'd say "yes, that's selfish".

Joe wrote:
Could it be looked at as a form of Altruism?

I suppose so, but I think we often times "fool ourselves" into this; that what is actually ego (and a need for validation) is some kind of charity - as if "I'm gonna do this guy a favor". Once again, it all depends on the context.

Thank you - nice question.

~~~~~~~

[*] There are, of course, immediate-need scenarios that could be dangerous, were one to act in a reckless and dangerous way based on something silly. But I'm guessing that kind of extreme is not the ownis of this line of questioning.
0 Replies