hunting and politics

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:58 pm
@xris,
Do we not cause animals considerably more suffering by eating meat? I'm not a vegetarian. I just think the issues are connected. Is the eating of steak not motivated by the pleasure involved as well as the protein?
xris

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 03:48 am
@Reconstructo,
If you can equate the need to enjoy your food with the same desire to kill for pleasure, then so be it. I can see the difference. The need to hunt is a base instinct and I can understand that but so is war, would we condone war just because its a base instinct. Humanity must by stages overcome these cruel necessities, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:36 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;106855 wrote:
the question is really whether it's worth the fight, and the answer is probably not

if we can't even bridge the gap with assault weapons and handguns, then it's not worth even trying with hunting

there are some circumstances in which hunting is encouraged to eliminate an 'exotic' species that is endangering native species, like rabbits in Australia, pigs in Hawaii, and deer in New Zealand. Also, there is pretty good evidence that the exploding deer population in coastal New England is greatly amplifying the risk of Lyme disease, so liberalized deer hunting is promoted by some as a means to control this disease (both my moral and scientific opinion are mixed on this one).
It could be said that hunting also controls the numbers of foxes that are killing livestock belonging to farmers. I agree with Aedes in that my opinion is mixed, I feel sorry for the fox but often a fox will kill a whole flock of chickens and not even take one.
xris

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:22 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;109772 wrote:
It could be said that hunting also controls the numbers of foxes that are killing livestock belonging to farmers. I agree with Aedes in that my opinion is mixed, I feel sorry for the fox but often a fox will kill a whole flock of chickens and not even take one.
Caroline, I kill rats for necessity but if enjoy the kill, i must question my motives.
0 Replies