I Bit the Bait (essay/poem)

dbeers

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:51 pm
Im, new here, I hope I am using the section rightly.

The title of the read means i was doing homework and was thinking so i just kept on and my math became...this. Its sporadic, but a product of free thought. Let me know what you think.

" I am currently feeling an inexplicable sadness, no thing nor no one has brought this upon me. It's as though the world grew eyes and opened them, and I was the first one to look.

Eyes are windows into the soul, they say. "

-And if that is the truth then I was looking into the soul of every dying child, starving mother, sickened and broken father,
Looking into the hearts of men who, having tried their very best, found themselves with needles in their arms again, pumping that same old poison right back into those veins;
The ones we drink from, the ones we use to grow our crops with.

She wanted to cry but those deep cavernous reservoirs where She kept Her tears where dry and what came out in stead was a thick sap.
No, my eyes- damaged as they are from the text and hours in front of a screen, burning slowly from the inside out, the opposite of Hers- burning on the outside in; saw wrong.
It was a deep red, it was proof, it was the life that was ending because at the end of each day we go back and close our minds and hearts to the world. We shut ourselves.

How can I say this when I am most guilty; choosing the same path, I thought. She continued to stare. Those eyes where amazing things, I thought to myself.
Like the fattest little infant and the oldest indian women, who had lived through the pain of countless lives. Those eyes were everything and nothing, innocence and guilt and pain. She was hurting, and through that hurt, she opened up to ask for help. She became a window for me.
I saw into the world and I knew I had been wrong. 'Cause, you know what really happened?-

" There was no voice or magical orbs that were the window into the heart of the world. There was a Mirror, it showed only what looked into it. All that I had seen was what was behind me. I had turned my head back, but when I caught a glimpse of what I was trying to leave I froze and had to think.
It stopped the air in my lungs and the blood in my veins. I tried to move, but like those children and broken men, my body was failing my mind and I fell. Like every other man, every other person on this planet I had to dig to find that strength. Instead I turned my head into the ground, and like so many others, forgot what I had seen."

Sorry, I know its really long, I hope this isn't too against what is allowed on this forum.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:33 am
@dbeers,
Very nice!

I don't pretend to understand what all belies this, but one picks up a large helping of empathy and compassion therein (as well as a sincere desire to hold onto that compassion).

Good writing; Alas, we should all aspire to be so introspective and empathetic to those around us - appreciating "the self in others".
0 Replies