Is examinations needless?

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 01:26 am
Precisely,there has hitherto been some perennial debate amid some inquisitive parents,teachers and students who virtually talk about who had gotten the loftiest marks in school.Sometimes they negotiate who is the smartest,the brainy one,et cetera.

Now,I perceive that this is genuinely adverse and it should come to a terminator.If this attitude is ceaseless,the world would be in a pandemonium and erratically.

Schools and education these days are berserk for subjects,especially Mathematics.Mathematics by far is the most abstruse subject in the world,for the candidate needs to take the brunt of memorizing lots of solutions.

Who can live in the world with tranquility now?We need to study and subsequently go to work.Living is hectic.

Long time ago,since Confucius,each student learned solely their own languages,and the Analects of Confucius is valuable and noteworthy since I read it.Amid the verses of the book,I am acquainted with Confucius,he did not cited that the world needs to advance their own education,but literally their benevolence and governance.

The world must cease to become more sophisticated,as I do not want my younger sister to bear the brunt.

The world should not conceive that there's a dearth of knowledge,our education is already complete.

It is needless to have innumerable mock examinations and quizzes.It literally gives everyone stress.

I know your perception or precognition,you now might perceive if the world is devoid of more education,we are all going to die.

It is not de facto.

Tell the president,the government,the teachers to terminate the advancement of education.We will die when the education becomes more perplex,and we would not die if the education is maintain for years,to reach a legitimate standard,not an unmeaningful standard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 7
No top replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:43 am
@Ennui phil,
If we terminate the advancement of education, we in essence own to the fact that talking on philosophy forum is meaningless. After all, philosophy is based on education. If we sit here and talk about stalling education, we would, for instance, be talking about some developed study over and over again. Ironically, even at the point of that particular stall, that very point that we stop at is the result of a progress in education.

Seeing as though you are from Singapore, I can understand where you are coming from. Asian schooling is a lot tougher on the common student than western schools. I remember reading a while ago about some kid in Japan committing suicide because of the stress of middle school entrance exams. Middle school!!!! But those who are in Asian schooling systems definitely see the results. I had a lab partner in my university chem. 101 from India who had taken organic chemistry in high school. Organic chemistry is the primary thing you need to know in order take MCAT and DAT. Its harsh, but man will you be a competitive powerhouse if you survive that curricula.

Ennui wrote:
Schools and education these days are berserk for subjects,especially Mathematics.Mathematics by far is the most abstruse subject in the world,for the candidate needs to take the brunt of memorizing lots of solutions.

But exams and quizzes are, and I am surprised I am saying this, necessary. They force the student to keep up with the work. The frequency and difficulty of those tests and quizzes is debatable, but the necessity is there.

As to your comment;

Ennui wrote:
Tell the president,the government,the teachers to terminate the advancement of education.We will die when the education becomes more perplex,and we would not die if the education is maintain for years,to reach a legitimate standard,not an unmeaningful standard.

The west went through a period like that before. It was called the dark age.
0 Replies

Mr Happy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:44 pm
@Ennui phil,
I agree with the general content of the above post.

Quote:
But exams and quizzes are, and I am surprised I am saying this, necessary. They force the student to keep up with the work. The frequency and difficulty of those tests and quizzes is debatable, but the necessity is there.

Examinations and quizes are also essential to reinforcing what you have learned and drawing new connections between concepts by forcing you to regurgitate, recognize, or otherwise utilize the information in a previously unseen format or vaccum (e.g. recognizing "correct" information in a multiple choice, or using information in writing short essays on previously unseen questions).

People, especially professors, teachers, and the like, often make the mistake of believing tests are simply evaluations when they also have strong value to the individual as methods of learning in and of themselves. Any time you use information the synapses related to it are strengthened, and it will be better remembered the next time around.
Parapraxis

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:43 am
@Mr Happy,
An altenative view to exams, which is one I often maintain, is that they are little more than glorified memory tests. They do not necessarily measures one's grasp of the subject, but really how much one can remember under fairly stressful conditions and write down within the allotted time.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:34 pm
@Ennui phil,
"Is examinations needless?"

Perhaps preparing for the appropriate examination would have taught you that the correct terminology is "ARE examinations necessary?"
'Are' relates to the plural 'examinations'.
The preparation for tests and quizzes can be good learning strategy.
(Any 'teacher' worth his pay already knows who understands the work and who does not.)
Parapraxis

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:27 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
"Is examinations needless?"

Perhaps preparing for the appropriate examination would have taught you that the correct terminology is "ARE examinations necessary?"
'Are' relates to the plural 'examinations'.
The preparation for tests and quizzes can be good learning strategy.
(Any 'teacher' worth his pay already knows who understands the work and who does not.)

I see you passed your English examination ;-)
nameless

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:50 am
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis;52548 wrote:
I see you passed your English examination ;-)

Back when I still trod the 'hallowed halls of academe', every instructor graded all written work for spelling and grammar, in every subject!
One couldn't help but to eventually learn to speak one's native language correctly. But the 'correctly', in my opinion, is of less value then content, as long as I don't have to struggle to interpret what is being said. It would have to really 'shine' for me to go through that trouble.
zefloid13

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:12 pm
@nameless,
I believe a certain fallacy has been committed in this forum, and that is of the belief that education is confined, particularly to the formal institution. As Pragmatist John Dewey said, education is for a lifetime. To take a Lockean approach, formal education in many ways restrains the student from proper learning--by instituting redundant formalities, and giving false impressions of what we can and cannot (and should and should not) learn.

In short, yes, exams, among many other aspects of today's education, for more and more students each day, amounts to nothing more than a necessary evil. Grading systems reflect nothing consistently except for a student's ability to adapt to a syllabus. Schools ought to foster, not dictate, the scope of learning.
0 Replies